Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 25th, 2019, 16:23 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 02:53 GMT 

I have always considered Planet Waves a prologue or precursor to Blood on the Tracks, and I was just thinking about how the new Bootleg release skips what I think might have been a valid choice - one or two cds of Planet Waves outtakes leading into MBMT proper. I guess it shows, for one thing, that Dylan's "people" considered Volume 14 best done as a stand-alone artistic work (which of course, it is). I wonder, then, how they might eventually package Planet Waves, not to mention Pat Garrett and the other works from that 1970-74 period. Maybe they'll eventually go for something like Outside The Law: 1973-1975, from A Thousand Highways.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 08:06 GMT 

It would be super cool if they did a release of '71-'73 material with the few songs from new years '72 with The Band along with any more Greatest Hits II outtakes that exist and of course the Planet Waves sessions. This is one of my favorite Dylan eras just for the feel of the music.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 09:09 GMT 

mtepner wrote:
It would be super cool if they did a release of '71-'73 material with the few songs from new years '72 with The Band along with any more Greatest Hits II outtakes that exist and of course the Planet Waves sessions. This is one of my favorite Dylan eras just for the feel of the music.

That's going to happen, safe to say. And a good one it will be too. '71-'74 would take up chronologically
where Another Self Portrait leaves off. There'd be enough for an amazing 3-5 disk collection I'd think.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 14:21 GMT 

With a download of Tour 74 for all purchasers of Deluxe set, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 14:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
mtepner wrote:

That's going to happen, safe to say. And a good one it will be too. '71-'74 would take up chronologically
where Another Self Portrait leaves off. There'd be enough for an amazing 3-5 disk collection I'd think.

It’s a real nice period, yes.
Guessing there isn’t enough available to break it in two.
Would be ok if they did though.
They’re kind of addicted to Bigger Boxes now.
Publicizing these to make them tantalizing will be the challenge.
Dylan Inc seems up to the task of strategizing a way.
I’m just gonna buy it.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2018, 17:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I agree with the original poster that Planet Waves can be seen in some respects as a precursor to Blood on the Tracks. I think Dylan was going for something like the atmosphere of Wedding Song in the early Blood on the Tracks takes, even down to the scrapping of his buttons on the guitar as he strummed. It would be nice to get a Bootleg Series boxset out of that 71 - 74 era.

PostPosted: Sun December 2nd, 2018, 07:29 GMT 

I wouldn´t mind a release of this period myself, but I don´t see it happening in the near future. I believe Sony considers it covered for now with Another self-portrait, which contained some outtakes from Planet waves already.
Maybe after RTR, the NET, I´m cold (yes, yes it will happen, shut up, I know it will), the mid 80s and The supper club we can hope for it

PostPosted: Sun December 2nd, 2018, 13:02 GMT 

Was listening alot to Planet Waves before MBMT came out. Great link in the chain and
a key part of that period. Very much agree with the original poster.

PostPosted: Sun December 2nd, 2018, 20:27 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Another self-portrait, which contained some outtakes from Planet waves already

it does not; you are perhaps thinking of New Morning

PostPosted: Sun December 2nd, 2018, 20:52 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
wormington wrote:
Another self-portrait, which contained some outtakes from Planet waves already

it does not; you are perhaps thinking of New Morning

Right you are!
I was so absolutely sure, I just went to my CD shelf to pick it up, with a stupid know-it-all smile of he who knows he´s right, eager to see the final proof and slam it in your face, but instead... doh!

I think it was Nashville Skyline I had in mind