Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 13:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 14:32 GMT 

I just read this in the text of the pink panther every song played from 1992 release which was originally shared by Nellie in 2015;

'Dylan fans were also much engaged by the news that our man had apparently "broken down with emotion"
as he sang the lines "he was famous long ago" in Desolation Row.
Dylan had to stop singing and retreat from the microphone to compose himself before finishing the song.
Like worried nannies, fans speculated that Dylan was overcome by the fact that he was not as famous as he used to be.
Their concern mounted when he next attempted the song on 14 April 1992 and again his voice broke at the same line.
Whatever the reason, Dylan sang the song on 4 May 1992 in the United States without any problems, as he has done many times since.

Clinton Heylin speculates that Dylan was moved by the memory of a longstanding ex-girlfriend of his, Carol Lopez,
who had taken her own life and apparently named Dylan in her suicide note.
Heylin concludes from this that: Though Dylan never admitted that he had received her suicide note,
one night in April 1992, when playing in Carol's adopted hometown of Sydney, he performed a rare acoustic performance of Desolation Row
and, most uncharacteristically, when he came to the verse about Ophelia – for whom "death is quite romantic" – visibly became moved to tears.'

Anyone know anything more about this?

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 15:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

There are numerous threads on this subject already, I suggest using the search bar in the upper right hand corner if you want to learn more. Here are some of the lengthier ones.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=86947
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34743
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53661

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 16:45 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
There are numerous threads on this subject already, I suggest using the search bar in the upper right hand corner if you want to learn more. Here are some of the lengthier ones.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=86947
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34743
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53661
Ok. Will do that next time thanks. I didn't as for some reason I didnt think I had been discussed as I hadn't seen it. Must have missed all three of those posts

Last edited by Pauley on Sat July 20th, 2019, 17:17 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 16:56 GMT 

I was front row in front of Bob when he played his first home town concert back in the 1990s.

During Tomorow is a long time, tears streamed down his eyes.

Unless you were there, there would otherwise be no evidence. Bob didn't pull back or choke up the words.

I remember someone yelled out, "Look, he's crying", which seemed rude. But eh, oh well, that's what happened.

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 18:58 GMT 

Was that in 1999?

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 20:11 GMT 

Wow. Great story dylanswife, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 20:13 GMT 

Pauley wrote:
Was that in 1999?

1998 (pretty sure).

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 20:31 GMT 

I wonder why he was sad. Appart from nearly dying the year before I suppose.

I get the impression I should give up on speculation of this sort. I know there is a line and I will respect that

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 22:13 GMT 

Nothing but speculation. I would be embarrassed to try and figure out what was going on in Bob Dylan's head while he was singing a song, and try to attach it to his lost loves or whatever. Ridiculous.

He was a little sweaty and salty oils on his face combined with a breeze caused his eye to tear up. It happens to the best of us.

PostPosted: Sat July 20th, 2019, 22:26 GMT 

Pauley wrote:

I get the impression I should give up on speculation of this sort. I know there is a line and I will respect that

I thought it was because of the song, Tomorrow is a Long Time. There was tons of hype about his first Duluth show since he stepped into the spotlight, as he had never come home to play. So, it was a long time coming. Bob teared up pretty good for the whole song, but never missed a beat.

It was an indoor concert, so Bob shouldn't have been sweaty or feeling a breeze. It was at the Duluth Armory, or DECC (Same place). The night before the show, I got a ticket to watch NWO wrestling. Then I hid somewhere inside the building so I could be first in line the next morning. :)

PostPosted: Sun July 21st, 2019, 07:58 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Pauley wrote:

I thought it was because of the song, Tomorrow is a Long Time. There was tons of hype about his first Duluth show since he stepped into the spotlight, as he had never come home to play. So, it was a long time coming. Bob teared up pretty good for the whole song, but never missed a beat.

It was an indoor concert, so Bob shouldn't have been sweaty or feeling a breeze. It was at the Duluth Armory, or DECC (Same place). The night before the show, I got a ticket to watch NWO wrestling. Then I hid somewhere inside the building so I could be first in line the next morning. :)
Ha ha! Amazing. Where did you hide? A cupboard or something?

It still wonder about the reason he was crying was about the 1992 desolation rows. If it was Clinton's s reason strange that he would divulge that.

PostPosted: Mon July 22nd, 2019, 05:34 GMT 

Haha. I saw a long rectangular table with. Banner in the front. I slipped under that and fell asleep with my pack under my head.

I listened to the 92 tapes years ago. I don't know why Bob became emotional. I was not aware of the girlfriend (even his wife didn't know) or a suicide letter. I had always thought the line caused him break because of all the bad reviews, walk-outs, and his singing like a sheep being castrated. The press was all over Bob for his drunkenness and mumbling, with all that in mind, singing the line "famous long ago" made sense to me. But, only speculation of course.

Maybe a fly flew into his eyes both times it happened. I had that happen with the top down on the freeway. Had to pull over to the shoulder. One eye was shut closed and streaming tears.

PostPosted: Tue July 23rd, 2019, 04:33 GMT 

The One Sad Cry Of Pity Tour (Australia & West Coast American '92)