Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 18th, 2018, 07:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 09:30 GMT 

Unusually, I'm totally against you on this one. We cannot rewrite history and replace Blood on the Tracks retroactively. The album that hit the shops in January '75 should be the canonised version. Once you start tinkering with things, you end up on a slippery slope. It's the same reason that I'm against the remix of the White Album that's coming out, which will likely replace the original mix in the shops and online. The original mix of the white album (and the speed of BOTT) is an integral part of the artwork. Once you've crossed that line, what's to stop John Mayer adding overdubs to Jimi Hendrix, or Mark Ronson remixing Astral Weeks? It's vital that we preserve the historic integrity of albums as works of art, and not think that we modern humans automatically know best. I'm sure the new mix of the White Album will sound horribly dated in 20 years time. The original will not...

It's like when English Victorian painters of middling repute painted over original Rembrandts because they thought that they could improve on the master's work.[/quote]

Usually I agree, but it does depend. I recently got the Bob Clearmountain remixed Rock of Ages and I vastly prefer it to the original mix. At the same time I'm really against the remixed Music From Big Pink as the sonic decisions made at the time were integral to that albums identity. Both by The Band, of course.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 11:19 GMT 

Laughing my beautiful derriere off at all the sudden puritanical purism going on here. So all you holier than thous have never listened or purchased any of the remixes or remasters of any Bob Dylan albums before eh? hahahah.

In other news, this new 'Big Girl Now' is all kinds of indecently sublime lollipops for my ears. Mmmm....

If the whole of the box is like this and that 'If You See Her', phewfuckingee.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 15:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think I might have actually changed my mind on this. I listened to the new cutting edge mix of Highway 61 that I put together recently and it's brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 15:33 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I think I might have actually changed my mind on this. I listened to the new cutting edge mix of Highway 61 that I put together recently and it's brilliant.

Don't tell Hoffman.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 15:49 GMT 

McG wrote:
In other news, this new 'Big Girl Now' is all kinds of indecently sublime lollipops for my ears. Mmmm....

If the whole of the box is like this and that 'If You See Her', phewfuckingee.

The way Bob sings, "It's the price I have to pay..." on this take is priceless. The harmonica is beautiful. The whole thing, like "If You See Her..." before it, is delicate. Steve Addabbo's re-production seems just right.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 18:28 GMT 

McG wrote:
Laughing my beautiful derriere off at all the sudden puritanical purism going on here.

If I want puritanical purism I don't listen to music. I go for silence.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 21:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobfan wrote:
Unusually, I'm totally against you on this one. We cannot rewrite history and replace Blood on the Tracks retroactively. The album that hit the shops in January '75 should be the canonised version. Once you start tinkering with things, you end up on a slippery slope. It's the same reason that I'm against the remix of the White Album that's coming out, which will likely replace the original mix in the shops and online. The original mix of the white album (and the speed of BOTT) is an integral part of the artwork. Once you've crossed that line, what's to stop John Mayer adding overdubs to Jimi Hendrix, or Mark Ronson remixing Astral Weeks? It's vital that we preserve the historic integrity of albums as works of art, and not think that we modern humans automatically know best. I'm sure the new mix of the White Album will sound horribly dated in 20 years time. The original will not...

It's like when English Victorian painters of middling repute painted over original Rembrandts because they thought that they could improve on the master's work.

Usually I agree, but it does depend. I recently got the Bob Clearmountain remixed Rock of Ages and I vastly prefer it to the original mix. At the same time I'm really against the remixed Music From Big Pink as the sonic decisions made at the time were integral to that albums identity. Both by The Band, of course.[/quote]

How do you feel about the 1983 bastardization of Billy Joel's Cold Spring Harbor? Perhaps, that's for another time.

PostPosted: Wed October 17th, 2018, 23:10 GMT 

McG wrote:
Lol. Do you think the versions of Bobs albums on Spotify are all the original vinyl or CD mixes and masters? What are you actually talking about here? If they released a remaster of Time Out of Mind, would that obliterate the sonic reality of the original?

In other words, if a tree gets remastered in a forest but you've already heard it, does that make your argument shit in the woods?

No.

I don't have an argument. I have an an observation.
I'm talking about radical changes in mixes. I'm taking about Paul McCartney turning up his bass (Baby You're A Rich Man) louder than on any previous versions most people had heard.

I'm talking about touching up a Picasso painting for the 21st century.
That goat skull could stand out a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 04:48 GMT 

Dylan tinkers with his back catalog on a nightly basis. Nothing should deter an artist from approaching a song or an instrumental from a different perspective. Talking about Macca is a joke, the guy spent 50 years trying to perform every song he wrote exactly the same. In a recent interview he basically said the only time he would experiment was at small gigs where audience expectations might go out the window. In that regard he is as dull as ditch water. A number of artists said nice things about Dylan's Nobel, Macca, Joni and Paul Simon, were to my knowledge, not among them. Blue touch paper has been lit, I am about to retreat 10 paces. Anon.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 05:35 GMT 

McG wrote:
Huge article on More Blood in the new Uncut, plus cover CD collects best of the Bootleg Series tracks, including exclusive take 2 of Big Girl Now from More Blood.

Am on my way to work with it, so yet to digest.

That's amazing, looking forward to picking up my copy today!

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 08:51 GMT 

Chose the right day for a sickie. C'mon Mr Postman!

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 11:12 GMT 

There's a really detailed review of the box set as part of the Uncut article. Fascinating and mouth-wateringly tantalising.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 11:56 GMT 

Going to get my Uncut today. :D

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 13:58 GMT 

McG wrote:
There's a really detailed review of the box set as part of the Uncut article. Fascinating and mouth-wateringly tantalising.

Could you give us some highlights from the review? Uncut won't be available where I live until next week or later. Would appreciate it very much...

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 14:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anyone in NYC find the issue on the stands? My guy told me to wait til next week.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 14:39 GMT 

Bought it earlier today, read bits of it in work so far. After a a quick glance it looks very good and makes MBMT look even better than I thought it would. It also has a small piece from the guy produced MBMT.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 15:44 GMT 

In Uncut, Glenn Berger's story about the "Was that sincere enough?" comment after Idiot wind, is, I think, stated more positively than I originally remember.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 17:57 GMT 

Some one put up a link to "You're a Big Girl Now" on r/BobDylan, if anyone want to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 19:54 GMT 

McG wrote:
Huge article on More Blood in the new Uncut, plus cover CD collects best of the Bootleg Series tracks, including exclusive take 2 of Big Girl Now from More Blood.

This take right? https://streamable.com/lpp9t

(which is just incredible).

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 21:22 GMT 

Just listened to Big Girl twice. A very nice version.
Intimate, and on par with the Bootleg 1-3 version.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 21:35 GMT 

Not read the magazine yet but really enjoyed the cd.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 22:52 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
Bought it earlier today, read bits of it in work so far. After a a quick glance it looks very good and makes MBMT look even better than I thought it would. It also has a small piece from the guy produced MBMT.
Steve Berkowitz. In which he casually mentions that the title "More Blood, More Tracks" was Dylan's idea.

PostPosted: Fri October 19th, 2018, 08:41 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Cold Irons Bound wrote:
McG wrote:

This take right? https://streamable.com/lpp9t

(which is just incredible).

This is pure bliss to listen to!!

PostPosted: Fri October 19th, 2018, 09:10 GMT 

Now on BD Vevo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqRFB9ymlg

PostPosted: Fri October 19th, 2018, 09:59 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Going to get my Uncut today. :D

Hope you get a copy, the articles alone are worth it and to get a 12 track Dylan compilation from the Bootleg Series is the icing on the cake. The shop in my home town had sold out but luckily I was up in London yesterday and got a copy there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next