Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun June 16th, 2019, 17:39 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 14:27 GMT 

1). At a glance, can't see much interest in the Title "Mondo Scripto." Why dat ? I'm eager to know why Mr Bob uses that form of words.

Here's some random thoughts. If cats are discussing this elsewhere, point me there, baby !

Mondo Scripto" seems to mean, "I write the world," in Italian.

I was thinking of Dante. Who wrote the Divine comedy. But I'm thinking now of Loyd Byron

Below is a quote from Byron (English), from his long poem, through the mouthpiece of its eponymous hero Don Juan (Spanish).

LX 
I say, in my slight way I may proceed 
     To play upon the surface of humanity. 
I write the world, nor care if the world read, 
     At least for this I cannot spare its vanity. 
My Muse hath bred, and still perhaps may breed 
     More foes by this same scroll: when I began it, I 
Thought that it might turn out so -- now I know it, 
But still I am, or was, a pretty poet. 

And ... I've found this bit of commentary:

An introduction to Don Juan - The British ...

https://www.bl.uk › articles › an-introduc...

The poem’s narrator stresses his age. Nevertheless, throughout Don Juan there is a deliberate representation of the narrator/poet as hero. Byron plays with his readers by exploiting the identification of the poem with its creator. In Canto XI stanza 55 he writes:

Even I - albeit it I'm sure I did not know it, 
Nor sought of foolscap subjects to be king, - 
Was reckon'd, a considerable time, 
The grand Napoleon of the realms of rhyme

Napoleon in rags ? AKA Dylan ?

I'm trying to home- in on Dylan's source for the phrase, "mondo Scripto."

Have any of you read anything else relevant ?

(Also posted in "Mondo Scripto" thread

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatal

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun October 21st, 2018, 12:22 GMT 

It sounds cool and is a nod to the "Mondo" films, I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_film

PostPosted: Mon October 22nd, 2018, 21:01 GMT 

https://www.definitelydylan.com/listen/ ... do-scripto

From approximately 5:00. Including talk about the "Mondo"-films.

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2018, 02:41 GMT 

Just for your interest, I can tell you that "Mondo Scripto" in Italian means "Written World". At the first sight, the "Mondo Scripto" expression could be ascribed to Latin, but in Latin "world" is "mundo". I am Italian and I'm doing academic studies on Italian literature, Latin literature and Roman history, and Ancient Greek literature and history, and I can tell you that "mondo" is Italian and not Latin. In English, "Mondo" means "very", because English and American people started viewing it as a sort of adverb - in Italian it is a noun - and I don't know why. Perhaps because of the famous "Mondo Cane" movie (1961), where "Mondo Cane" symbolizes a kind of curse and it is taken from the Italian spoken by the low and middle classes.

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2018, 17:48 GMT 

Wouldn't the Italian be Mondo Scritto? I'm not Italian, but that's what my Italian friends told me.

PostPosted: Wed November 21st, 2018, 11:50 GMT 

Yes, you’re totally right. In the current Italian it would be “mondo scritto”. However, in the Italian of some centuries ago it was “Mondo Scripto”

PostPosted: Fri December 7th, 2018, 08:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

samu_93 - so great! thank you so much for your scholarship! much obliged!

what do you study, the languages themselves or as you said, the textual contents? what is your area of interest? sounds very hermetic :wink:

:)

I am sure you know of Giordano Bruno and Yates' work about him, -now having become complicated by further scholarship since the 1960's?

perhaps you need to retranslate his work for these times!

blessings to your studies!

(my dad's family is from the mountains of Genoa, a couple generations back!)

- jc

PostPosted: Sat January 12th, 2019, 12:18 GMT 

Hi, Jc! I’m sorry if I had not answered before. I have graduated in March 2018 from University of Bologna with a master in Italian and modern literatures, but I study also ancient Greek and I’m going to take five or six exams of Greek literatures and philology. My bachelor’s thesis was in moral philosophy, about Eraclitus, Lucretius, and Leopardi, about their notion of progress. My master thesis was in American literature: it was an original contribution about the relationship between Don DeLillo’s Great Jones Street and Bob Dylan’s life and music in the Sixties. I am also a free-lance writer at Music Map, a relevant, Bologna-based Italian music website. However, my research topics are also oriented towards Greek, Latin, and Italian literatures, in particular philology, considering that I have graduated with a master in modern literatures and Italian literature.

I’ve written a lot of academic essays about Bob’s art for this website and also for some academic journals. My interest and passion covered of course “Like a Rolling Stone,” the Sixties counterculture, and more. My topic research within Dylan studies is now oriented towards “Caribbean Wind,” “Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar,” and more songs about Bob’s late-Seventies and early or mid-Eighties songs, in particular his fascination for the African American heritage. I also know very well Alessandro Carrera, the most important Dylan scholar in Italy, who works at the University of Houston. Now I am applying to a PhD in UK, even though I do not know whether I will be chosen or not. My PhD project deals with the ethnic and gender issue within the slave trade in the late Roman empire and the impact of Christianity on it.

Of course I have studied a lot also English and American literature, such as Keats, Yeats, Eliot, Kerouac, and Ginsberg. However, my only idol is Bob!