Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 22nd, 2018, 07:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 19th, 2018, 01:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Opening Night of the Fall Tour Leg!
unless another show is announced prior to

4 October 2018
Thursday

Phoenix, Arizona
Comerica Theatre

Showtime: 8:00 pm
Capacity: 5,000

This is the 43rd show of the 2018 Never Ending Tour

Previous 2018 shows:
26 Europe Spring
16 Australasia Summer

00 US Fall
----
42 Total 2018

---
Bob Dylan’s 2018 Setlists Are Starting to Get Interesting

On the final night of his overseas tour, he pulled out two ‘Highway 61’ classics he hadn’t played in years

In the last few years, Bob Dylan’s Never Ending Tour has featured plenty of thrilling moments with one major setback: little set list variation. While fans in the mid-2000s never knew what Dylan was going to play when he took the stage, since 2013 they have been all but guaranteed to hear “Things Have Changed” as the first song, followed mostly by other well-rehearsed moments. One fan noted that Dylan has performed “Pay in Blood” more than 400 times since the song was released in 2012. He’s played “Early Roman Kings,” from the same album, even more. With these almost identical set lists, Dylan has seemed determined to lock into his own songs and find new meaning in them, or else drive his band crazy.

That’s starting to change. In Seoul, South Korea, last month, Dylan broke his opening-song streak by starting his set with 1967’s “All Along the Watchtower,” a song he hadn’t played live for three years. His summer overseas run also featured the first live versions of 1979’s “Gotta Serve Somebody” and 1971’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” in seven years.

But Dylan saved the biggest surprises for the final night of his 17-night tour (16-night tour?). In Christchurch, New Zealand, today, he pulled out “Like a Rolling Stone,” which he’d played only once in the last five years, and the even more rare “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, it Takes a Train to Cry” for the first time since 2005. The Highway 61 Revisited classics, which were recorded on the same day in June 1965, delighted hardcore Dylan fans on the site Expecting Rain. No recordings have surfaced yet, but reports say that he’s reinvented “Like a Rolling Stone”; one fan called it “a lovely new arrangement with slow passages where [bassist Tony Garnier] bowed the double bass.”

“It Takes a Lot to Laugh” has been in Dylan’s rotation since he played it at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, when it was called “Phantom Engineer.” Dylan reworked the shuffle during the Highway 61 sessions, and it became one of his greatest blues songs. (It ranked number 61 on Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Dylan Songs.) Fans heard an excellent version of the song on June 30th, 1999 at Madison Square Garden, when Dylan joined Eric Clapton for an epic seven songs at the Crossroads Benefit, a show raising money for Clapton’s rehabilitation center. They performed an upbeat, swinging version of the track and clearly had a lot of fun together; it’s fascinating to hear Dylan’s sloppy, spare rhythmic lead style happening while Clapton unleashes his guitar fireworks.

Dylan’s recent setlist shakeups prove that he’s still busy being born when it comes to performing. “Songs don’t come alive in a recording studio,” he told Rolling Stone‘s Mikal Gilmore in 2012. “You try your best, but there’s always something missing. What’s missing is a live audience.” The moves also pose great possibilities for his upcoming U.S. tour, which kicks off October 4th in Phoenix, Arizona. American audiences may get to hear these classics for the first time in years. Or he just might defy fans and go back to the standard set of the last few years. Right now, all we know is that he does not care what you think either way.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ve-716633/

===

PURPOSE of the 'Live Set List' threads:
This is a spot to discuss & share your thoughts, perspectives & feelings surrounding the shows...
...before, during and after...whether you attend or not.
We especially love to hear the thoughts of those going, of those there, and of folks simply reflecting on whatever was.

As many of us know, it's not only about the Set List!
Most of us don't attend every show, in person. Yet we're interested. We go when we can.
We anticipate & relate to the energy of each other's experiences.
It's fun to hear about.

We love eyes in the field and feet on the ground. No pressure, no requirements. We understand.
Feel free to share your observations or post your links to any related text, audio, and video.
Whether you're there or wishing you were, or wondering what the latest is, please comment!
And, above all, have some fun!

Keep on chatterin'!

PostPosted: Wed September 19th, 2018, 02:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Love it when the new live set list threads start rollin’ in! This is bound to be the most anticipated tour opening concert in quite some time right? Last tour, specifically the final show, sure did leave a sweet taste in everybody’s mouth! Can’t wait to see what Bob and the boys are cooking up for this one.

PostPosted: Wed September 19th, 2018, 12:34 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Love it when the new live set list threads start rollin’ in! This is bound to be the most anticipated tour opening concert in quite some time right? Last tour, specifically the final show, sure did leave a sweet taste in everybody’s mouth! Can’t wait to see what Bob and the boys are cooking up for this one.

Feeling much the same. Really could sense the momentum building last tour with the standards dropping, harmonica returning, arrangements & even lyrics changing and maybe most importantly - Bob & band bringing even higher energy levels than regular each & every show.

I was anticipating set changes in a couple slots last tour and got as much during the beginning and some towards the end. ... Am hopeful such a thing settles in during this one, but trying not to expect too much.

Lol, do recall predicting Mississippi making an appearance this year. .... Phoenix is as good a place as any to see it pop up. .... Wonder what the arrangement is gonna be?? :)

PostPosted: Wed September 19th, 2018, 23:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Count Down
15 days
September 19, 2018 - October 4, 2018

Yikes! only about 2 weeks away!

Damn. Missed it...'cause by the time I get to Phoenix...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbdJSW3pvM

Isaac Hayes - By The Time I Get To Phoenix (Full Length 19:00 /HQ Audio)

"By the Time I Get to Phoenix" is a song written by Jimmy Webb. Originally recorded by Johnny Rivers in 1965, it was covered by American country music singer Glen Campbell on his album of the same name. Released on Capitol Records in 1967, Campbell's version topped RPM's Canada Country Tracks, reached number two on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart, and won two awards at the 10th Annual Grammys. Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) named it the third most performed song from 1940 to 1990. The song was ranked number 20 on BMI's Top 100 Songs of the Century. Frank Sinatra called it "the greatest torch song ever written."

Isaac Hayes' version of the song, included on the album Hot Buttered Soul, runs for 18 minutes and 40 seconds, and recounts the events that transpired before the actual roadtrip. The track was edited down to under seven minutes for single release, hitting #37 on both the US pop and R&B charts in 1969.

from wiki (so it must be true)

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 06:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

So there's probably a good chance he'll open with Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts as promotion for BS14, right? Right!?

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 14:11 GMT 

So there's probably a good chance he'll open with Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts as promotion for BS14, right? Right!?

Totes!

.... Although I was thinking that instead of Stu coming on stage solo to start things it'll be Bob with an acoustic guitar to perform If You See Her Say Hello right quick before Things Have Changed begins.

Either or ;)

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 15:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe If You See Her is too obvious since
Dylan Inc just posted this today?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6GOxZsZsg

Probably what you were referring to, right?

Just grabbed my 6-CD Blood Box as consolation for missing Phoenix!

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 16:52 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Maybe If You See Her is too obvious since
Dylan Inc just posted this today?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6GOxZsZsg

Probably what you were referring to, right?

Just grabbed my 6-CD Blood Box as consolation for missing Phoenix!

Of course it was.
.... Could be this one by the time 10/4/18 rolls upon us:
https://youtu.be/MA_kQIZJkI0
But, my expectations are tempered for this leg & shall remain so.

.... Did I mention that when he pulls out Mississippi I'm fairly certain he's going with this version (lyricly anyways):

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2018, 23:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nice listen.
‘Sugar Baby’ could work in that slot too.

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2018, 23:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Nice listen.
‘Sugar Baby’ could work in that slot too.

Oh man, I wish! Not played since 2012. Bring it back Bob!

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 13:12 GMT 

Had this one playing in my car just a couple days back:
https://youtu.be/YryKZPCsDPw - Shugah Baby acoustic styles 2004

Am happy that the YouTube had it available. ... Thanks for that Mr. Tambourine channel!! Heck of a choice.

That one is my favorite version to date. Would love to see what 2018 Bob & Band would bring to it.
... Lol, Phoenix is as good a place as any to see it pop up.

Time shall tell ... if it'll just hurry on up a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 17:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Apparently, this guy is just doing his job as a reporter of some sort.
Typical.

Bob Dylan Rolls Into Phoenix This Fall
by Douglas Markowitz, Phoenix New Times

Yessiree, you read that right: The legendary Bob Dylan is returning to Phoenix. He and his band will start off their 2018 North American tour at Comerica Theatre on Thursday, October 4.

I must admit, I never really got the hype around Bob Dylan. I've tried, dear reader. I've heard the songs, I've read the Rolling Stone album guide entries, and I even watched Dont Look Back, the mega-influential documentary following the man as he tours England in the '60s. But that voice ... that hollering, off-key voice ... it was always too much to bear for my poor millennial ears.

Nevertheless, Bob Dylan is one of the most celebrated musicians alive, and still rides the legacy of classic albums such as Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, and Blonde on Blonde (I prefer Frank Ocean's Blonde, but different strokes). Unlike many of his classic rock peers, he's always shirked the spotlight, and this combined with what some might consider an immeasurable cool has endeared him to millions. The chaotic situation surrounding his Nobel Prize in Literature, which he refused to acknowledge for weeks after it was announced in 2016, is somewhat indicative of his utter aloofness.

All this only seems to intensify the mania surrounding the iconoclastic folk singer. In April, the door of the room he stayed at in New York's Chelsea Hotel sold at auction for $100,000. Meanwhile, his last newsworthy activity was an appearance on a compilation of wedding songs for gay couples. His last studio album was 2017's Triplicate.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/b ... x-10689993

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 18:12 GMT 

^
Yeah right, what's the point(yes, I Know- a paycheck. Twas rhetorical)?? ... Been reading that same dude under different pennames for years now.
(Yawn)
What would they ever do without the Google search bah.

... At least he didn't go all Maureen Dowd (?) click-bait bonkers style. Although I always felt the editor was to blame for that sh'tshow. Back in 2011 I believe. .. LoL, think I actually took the time to email that lady back then.

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 18:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

What a poor article. Don’t let him give all millennials a bad name, some of us do love Bob!

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 19:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Legendary Bob Dylan blowing into Phoenix for October concert
BY KTAR.COM

PHOENIX — The times may be a-changing, but Bob Dylan keeps a-touring, and he’s coming back to Phoenix in the fall.

The 77-year-old rock and folk icon — and Nobel Prize winner — is kicking off a North American tour at Comerica Theatre on October 4th.

If you can’t make it to that show, you’ll have another chance to catch the gravel-voiced legend in action the next night at the Tucson Music Hall.

The Phoenix concert comes exactly one week before his son Jakob’s band, The Wallflowers, plays at the Arizona State Fair.

Dylan, who released his first album in 1962, last played in Phoenix, also at Comerica, in 2016. That was just days after it was announced that he’d won the Nobel Prize for literature, becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious award.

His most recent studio album was 2017’s “Triplicate,” a collection of American classics recorded with his touring band.

Earlier this year, the 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee got into the liquor business, releasing a line of whiskey under the Heaven’s Door label.

http://ktar.com/story/2167184/legendary ... ober-show/

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 19:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
Earlier this year, the 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee got into the liquor business, releasing a line of whiskey under the Heaven’s Door label.

http://ktar.com/story/2167184/legendary ... ober-show/

A bit off topic, but, speaking of Heaven's Door whiskey,
anyone know what's happening with the lawsuit? (article below)

I'm not a whiskey-drinker, but Bob's bottle blows theirs outta the water.
Their bottle looks more like it could be confused with Heinz ketchup in the photo shown, IMHO.

Aw Man, Bob Dylan's Whiskey Is Already Getting Sued
BY Sarah Rense - AUG 30, 2018

There's trouble in heaven.

Bob Dylan launched a whiskey brand last year with a bourbon, a double barrel whiskey, and a straight rye whiskey. The reviews were positive; the aging hippies were pleased. The brand was dubbed Heaven's Door, a reference to the door Dylan knocked on back in his 1973 song.

Well, it appears that Heaven ain't big enough for another whiskey brand. Heaven's Door is getting sued by Heaven Hill, a bourbon and distilled spirits manufacturer based in Kentucky. You probably know Heaven Hill from its Evan Williams Kentucky Bourbon. It also says it sells Heaven Hill-branded whiskey in all 50 states. The lawsuit, which was filed earlier this month in a U.S. District Court in Kentucky, claims copyright infringement, the Courier Journal reports.

Heaven Hill's complaint is that Heaven's Door (keep up) used a name and a block-lettered logo that are "confusingly similar" to its own. It sent a cease and desist letter to Heaven's Door in April, which an attorney from Heaven's Door said they would not comply with because they didn't think consumers would be confused.

Heaven's Door hasn't responded to the lawsuit, but in a statement claimed it "intends to vigorously defend itself and its Heaven's Door brand."

Heaven Hill said it has been making spirits under its logo since 1937, before Dylan was born. The whiskey drama heats up. But no matter how this plays out, I think we can safely assume Bob Dylan does not give a shit.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drin ... y-lawsuit/

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2018, 02:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
I'm not a whiskey-drinker, but Bob's bottle blows theirs outta the water.
Their bottle looks more like it could be confused with Heinz ketchup in the photo shown, IMHO.

I agree. I see no similarities in the two bottles. Heaven Hill's bottle design reminds me more of Aristocrat Gin and other cheap, bottom shelf liquors. Bob's bottle has a lot more class (and I'm sure tastes better).

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2018, 19:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
Thu 4 Phoenix
Attending: CJohnson300, shooting_star_night, BrandNewCoatOfPaint.

Only one week!

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2018, 19:59 GMT 

I can't wait!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 15:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, lookin’ like Phoenix truly is the kickoff for this Tour Leg.
October arrived quickly!

...from Tour Maps thread...thanks again, Code!

Posted a day too soon :lol:

Here's the updated one!

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... c5qygh.jpg

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 15:17 GMT 

8/28/18 New Zealand highlights. ... Last time Bob and Band performed live on their summer tour:

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKSA/BDcchurc ... rch203.mp3 - Rolling Stone

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKSA/BDcchurc ... rch207.mp3 - A Lot To Laugh & Train To Cry

.... Home stretch. Thursday is a-coming soon!

Some Melbourne 8/14/18 highlights as well:

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKS2/BDmelb/BDmelb106.mp3 - Masterpiece

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKS2/BDmelb/BDmelb204.mp3 - Don't Think Twice

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKS2/BDmelb/BDmelb207.mp3 - Gotta Serve Somebody

Good times had & great ones just around the bend!

Best wishes to all those lucky folks that'll be in attendance

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 15:42 GMT 

My first show since 10/2002. Excited!!!!

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 15:56 GMT 

Nice timing!

LoL, I haven't been since 2013 & last show of 2010 before that & feel like it's been way too long & not enough.

This leg is the one that really has me longing to go, but have not gotten tickets. ... Still contemplating going solo on a whim to one once they're on the east coast.

Anyways, best wishes to you & hope you have yourself a blast! ... Look forward to your review if you end up deciding to place one hERe.

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 16:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

OldHenryLee wrote:
8/28/18 New Zealand highlights
... Last time Bob and Band performed live on their summer tour:

http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKSA/BDcchurc ... rch207.mp3 - A Lot To Laugh & Train To Cry

Thanks for those reminders and easy links, Henry Lee!
Enjoying them all ... and really, really enjoying It Takes a Lot to Ride On.

Interesting that ‘Ride On’ was only played ONCE live by AC/DC, apparently as a
second encore ... and apparently as a tribute to John Lee Hooker just after his death?

Totally loving the new versions of Bob lyrics set to other folks tunes, especially since last Fall.
Honest, Summer, Thunder, Serve, Train to Cry...can't recall what the latest Tangled is based on?

Beach Boys, Peter Gunn, AC/DC come to mind...there's more, I know.
Just another reason to love a Bob show.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2018, 19:40 GMT 

Hey live setlist report will be a thing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next