Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu September 20th, 2018, 04:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 18:50 GMT 

Just got hold of this gem. All I can say is the vocal performance of Dylan is absolutely amazing.

I think I've hit upon my favourite version of Workingman Blues 2.

I just can't get enough of this show.

it's an absolute belter.

any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 20:36 GMT 

I assume you're listening to the majestic Hungry Hoss enhancement of the spiffing Soomlos original? It's a beautiful work and my goto boot of 2015. As a boot and performance, this beauty can compete with the best of 99-02 and that's saying quite something.

PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 09:22 GMT 

I found this gem on the Dylan Rare recordings. It's not clear whether it's the one you mention. The sound quality sounds good to my battered ears.

Is there an even better version than this?

If so any directions would be most welcome

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 09:59 GMT 

Check towards the end of this thread and try sending the ever generous McG a pm if you don't have it. Hope he's still checking in around here this weather.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84450&hilit=Detroit+2015#p1597149

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 17:22 GMT 

Listened to this last night and was blown away - AGAIN. Just how BLOODY AMAZING is this show?!! Love Sick, Forgetful Heart and Scarlet Town above everything. So grateful for the tapers who make this possible!

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yep, it's a must have!

PostPosted: Tue December 12th, 2017, 16:57 GMT 

Thanks Mr Judas Priest for pointing me in the right direction and getting to hear the amazing version. Absolutely out of this world. This is certainly one of my all top favourites. Which got me thinking, if we had to recommend shows that perfectly summed up that tour, which ones would you recommend (only one per year mind you!)

PostPosted: Wed December 13th, 2017, 15:54 GMT 

Suggestions from recent years (using sound quality as the main factor):

2013: Stockholm (CC)
2014: Tokyo (CC)
2015: Detroit (Soomlos/Hoss)
2016: Paducah (Soomlos)
2017: Upper Derby 12th Nov (Spot)

Also, I know you only said one per year but the Soomlos Minneapolis capture of Nov 5th is an absolute must have.

PostPosted: Tue January 2nd, 2018, 00:33 GMT 

I've done a new tweak of Detroit and it sounds rather spiffing, if I do say so myself. A pm us all it takes to get it nearer your grubby ears.

PostPosted: Wed January 3rd, 2018, 13:10 GMT 

McG wrote:
I've done a new tweak of Detroit and it sounds rather spiffing, if I do say so myself. A pm us all it takes to get it nearer your grubby ears.

McG is being modest - it sounds like the greatest Bob boot in over a decade.

PostPosted: Thu January 4th, 2018, 16:15 GMT 

Yep I agree the best got slightly better:-)

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 23:15 GMT 

It's a miracle of modern bootlegging.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 23:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:

Is there a Fall 2017 miracle, by chance?

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 23:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
MrJudasPriest wrote:

Is there a Fall 2017 miracle, by chance?

Actually probably Akron be Soomloos
And this one:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92660

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 10:09 GMT 

Akron the best sq from recent leg and it's a smashing capture but Detroit in its latest guise is a genuine market mover.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 16:34 GMT 

I got this Detroit 2015 show a couple years back the old fashion way.... At my local record store... silver disc style. The label is, Scallywag Productions. Fairly sure it's just a new production title for, Cellar Dweller. Anyways, this past Christmas I got a gift card at that same record store and was fortunate to find a brand new Scallywag release for the 11/25/17 show at the Beacon (disc 2 filler from 11/22/17). .... Sound quality and performance equals the 2015 Fox Theater show to these ears and apparently good enough for the Scallywag label to press it out.
I'm guessing the recording was made by the man himself, Mr. Spot. .... For both the full 25th show & the 22nd filler. ... All the songs bring great energy... especially the new arrangements. ... As the title of this thread calls the Detroit 2015 recording/performance, the 11/25/17 one is a real deal, "belter" & tis my personal recommendation for the go-to recording/performance of the fall 2017 tour.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 19:52 GMT 

Interesting....I'm still betting it doesn't hold a candle to the latest Detroit 2015 upgrade tho. Still, would like to hear it. Akron is real nice sonically and probably the best I've heard from 2017 but as good as it is, the magic dust our hero Hoss has sprinkled on Detroit 15 puts it into the uber league of Bob boots. I mean, it sounds superior to, say, the 09 soundboard matrix of Rothbury and is arguably superior to Crystal Cat's Tokyo 2014/Stockholm 2013 works. It's got just about everything; it's sounds full bodied and rich, yet has a wonderful sense of space and depth as well. The mastering brings out the best qualities of the underlying capture and enhances the experience without in anyway feeling artificial or cold the way mastering often can. It breathes soul into an already soulful experience. As I said, market moving, game changing, orgasm creating....Detroit is king.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 21:41 GMT 

Agreed totally, MJP but then I would eh.... But yeah extremely well articulated thoughts which put the shell firmly on the nut.

Just to point out as well - for those who want to ensure you have the very best Detroit, it's the new Bennyboy tweak you need, which improves on the previous Hoss one by going back to the source and remastering from scratch using special magic dust and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 02:55 GMT 

If anyone wants a copy of the 11/25/17 Scallywag Productions show send me one of those PM's. I'd be happy to share it. ... Please just keep in mind that I've yet to download the CD's to my laptop, so it might take me a couple days to send it off

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 14:44 GMT 

.... Appears I jumped the gun on my PM offer. I got two this morning and can't reply to either of you due to being new and not having enough posts under my belt. .... Was also looking to send a PM of my own, but that McG-enius already kindly did so without prompting... a veritable mind reader & my grubby ears are very much thankful & curious of differences from my own hard copy. .... With that, guess I gots to look around and find things to say on here before I can reply back. .... Not sure what the magic number of posts are before the PM restrictions go away, but I shall come through when able.

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 15:14 GMT 

http://scallywagmusic.com/dylan-fox.html

..... If this link works, it's the copy I have of Detroit 2015.
Their site oddly doesn't have the Beacon show I recently acquired. .... Maybe because it says it's a limited edition. I have #15 outta 300. .... My Detroit copy also says it's a limited edition #22 outta 300, but that was a couple years back and assuming deemed good enough by Scallywag to surpass the status of, limited edition.
Also, the art work for the Beacon show has a different front cover and a really nice insert picture that is revealed when opening the front. The back cover is that same pic as shown on the Detroit show of Mr. Dylan performing at the vh1 Martin Scorsese tribute ... Not my favorite Dylan pic, but whatever, I usually keep that case in the house and burn copies for the car & living room stereo using cheap paper cases anyways.

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 14:40 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
http://scallywagmusic.com/dylan-fox.html

..... If this link works, it's the copy I have of Detroit 2015.
Their site oddly doesn't have the Beacon show I recently acquired. .... Maybe because it says it's a limited edition. I have #15 outta 300. .... My Detroit copy also says it's a limited edition #22 outta 300, but that was a couple years back and assuming deemed good enough by Scallywag to surpass the status of, limited edition.
Also, the art work for the Beacon show has a different front cover and a really nice insert picture that is revealed when opening the front. The back cover is that same pic as shown on the Detroit show of Mr. Dylan performing at the vh1 Martin Scorsese tribute ... Not my favorite Dylan pic, but whatever, I usually keep that case in the house and burn copies for the car & living room stereo using cheap paper cases anyways.

Any chance you can upload the Detroit Scallywag recording somewhere and share? The Soundcloud snippets sound ace, but its hard to judge that way properly.

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 15:45 GMT 

Yes, I can do that. It's already on my laptop. ... I actually put the 11/25/17 show on it yesterday as well & posted enough to PM. Came across an unforseen problem though which is I'm not on any file sharing sites. I tried to upload the 11/25/17 file last night & PM it & tried to just put it as a new thread under rare recordings section with no luck (said 'downloading' for an hour or so & I quit). ... I shall look into MediaFire or something like it soon. Never joined one before, but sure it's easy enough. Please be patient and remember I'm new with this kinda stuff. .. If you're comfortable enough doing so, PM me your email & I'll send em today at some point or wait until I set myself up with a file sharing site (probably before end of weekend).

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 20:01 GMT 

... Also, happy to hear that you found some snippets of the Scallywag Detroit show. I haven't heard any other recordings (shall listen to your work soon) & can't imagine it getting much better. ... An odd thing is when I Google the Scallywag 11/25/17 show I have nothing comes up. No pics from discdogs or anything, just setlists, reviews and YouTube clips. ... I'm going to put it under rare recordings section whenever I'm able, so folks can judge for themselves, but to my ears it's an equal if not better presentation than the Detroit show I have. .... Only complaints being not my favorite rendition of Desolation Row performance wise, and the filler being kinda lazy. .... There's a lyric flub on the beginning of Tangled (25th) & there is as well on the 2nd disc filler (22nd). ... Minor details though. Will eventually add my own filler with the Thousand Highways comp. when I get around to burning traveling copies, so I don't ruin the silver discs.

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 13:00 GMT 

Thanks for the links to the Scallywag Detroit samples and they do indeed sound delicious! I'm assuming they have used the same Soomlos base and added their own tweaks which seem to have been very tastefully done. The very latest (remarkable) Hoss master may be slightly warmer but I suppose that could be the stream. Would be interesting to compare the 2 in more detail. Anyway, if there's a Scallywag Beacon 2017 release that's in broadly comparable sound quality, then I'd regard that as an exciting development and Akron may well have to surrender its crown as top dog for last year...