Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 18th, 2018, 17:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 15:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Lastly, to Ando:
In this case I will simply take a page from Mavis and say:
"Why do you have to be so mean?"

I like when your comments are constructive and when your energy is positive (like welcoming fmfats!).

When it goes the other way, I usually simply ignore* your offensive comments, pent-up negative energy and those strange attempts of dragging-in speculative off-base opinions & politics to create an argument and smear your perceived enemies on this board.
(*Kinda like the NYC audience ignoring that rude person's derogatory shout to Mavis?)

I guess we all get our buttons pushed at times. Perhaps we just take a collective deep breath?

We've got a lot to be thankful for. The glass is WAY more than half full!

Amen
have a great Thanksgiving barefoot !

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 16:26 GMT 

Let me be the first to second Alouette's, "Amen".

Happy Thanksgiving, Barefoot.

Happy Thanksgiving, Miss Alouette.....(and enjoy the show tomorrow !)

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 17:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you chester :)
Hope you & Mrs drawers & all have a great Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 04:10 GMT 

I was hoping that, by now, we’d have more concert goers chime in with details that may help explain this depressing, and distressing event. I know there’s always a drunk troll to be found, and racism seems to be the current coin of the realm guaranteeing them the attention they clearly lack in their personal lives. So I’m not that concerned about this particular racist acting out at the show. What I do find incredibly depressing is that the audience just sat on its hands, that he wasn’t hounded out of the theater, or that the show wasn’t stopped and he was immediately ejected. Why wasn’t this language seen as a direct threat to the performer? What if someone shouted an anti-Semitic slur at Bob during his performance? Would that just pass with a shrug? If I go see “Hamilton” on Broadway, would this sort of thing be tolerated? I would hope not. The performer has a right not to be harassed with hate speech, and the audience has the right to an uninterrupted performance. That fact that Mavis, a woman full of talent and grace, handled this in her typically classy and professional style only seems to have earned her additional abuse as this guy was allowed to remain, and make another idiotic remark at the end of her set when he was finally ejected. It's just freaking horrible.

That this happened in New York City, my old hometown, is particularly dispiriting. In my day, a guy like that at a Dylan show would have gotten crowned, or at least be showered in beer and shown the door. I’ve played bars and clubs all over the country, in the Deep South and in the Red Republican West, and in the rare instance that someone got ugly the bar owner or bouncer would give him the bum’s rush if the audience didn’t get to him first. This is not a no-name club in the sticks full of redneck drunks. It is a renowned theater featuring legendary performers in America’s cultural center. That is was tolerated to this degree says something very depressing about Dylan’s audience.

I’m old enough to remember when people went to Dylan shows festooned in top hats, peacock feathers, velvet coats, gypsy scarves, leopard skin pillbox hats and roses. There was light in their eyes. They valued the arts. They hung banners behind the stage with quotes from Voltaire. I don’t know what Dylan’s politics are, or who he votes for, but I know that he stands for social justice and civil rights, and that was at least one thing nearly everyone in the audience stood for as well. This is the man who sang about Hattie Carroll and Oxford Town, and still sings a song he wrote that became an anthem for the civil rights movement. Sure there were always knuckleheads in the audience. But they wouldn’t be tolerated like this. People wouldn’t just sit there like furniture.

Hopefully a fully picture will emerge that casts a better light on this event. But for now, as this thread seems to be quickly petering out, it’s just one more reason for this old soul to move on.

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 04:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well said^

I'm just reading this news after a very pleasant thanksgiving spent mostly away from the internet, and I'm appalled at the comment and apparent lack of response.

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 05:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Souls of Previous Times, that is the most beautiful and eloquent sentiment i have heard regarding the experience of what it means to be a true bob appreciator

and i am sorry i almost teared up there please pardon my pain in these liminal days.

please i ask of you to understand you are ahead of your time once again.

to see Mavis earn a standing ovation each night surely must signify the end of our fears are soon.

hope to meet you somewhere on the road

the papers have been signed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liminality

"Liminal phase of a rite of passage: Albert Anker's Die Ziviltrauung, "the Civil Marriage," 1887"

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 07:49 GMT 

Location: Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now
That is so bad, it must have been very hurting to Mavis, her band and everybody who heard it. Its disgusting. People near by should have talked to the guards and have the low life thrown out. :shock: :cry: :(

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 14:11 GMT 

PiaM wrote:
That is so bad, it must have been very hurting to Mavis, her band and everybody who heard it. Its disgusting. People near by should have talked to the guards and have the low life thrown out. :shock: :cry: :(

I agree with Pia. A person like that should be thrown out. It is a good thing that most people are good and not racists. I believe humanity is going to overcome one day soon and people are going to love oneanother and it is not going to matter what color of your skin you were born with.

It is also a good thing that Mavis most likely doesn't take it to heart, and let herself get upset, because then you give power to these kind of lesser beings.
She knows she has so many people lovin' her and repecting her for the person she is and she doesn't need that miserable skumbag for anything. At least that's the way I see it.

People have been constantly stealing from a very close friend of mine for years, and I could choose to get upset over it, but I don't want to give power to these negative beings because then they win. Let them enjoy their thievery if they can. It will hit back at them sooner or later and it's called KARMA I believe.

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

An absolute disgrace if true. WTF.

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 20:51 GMT 

I was at the Dec. 20th and the Dec 22nd show....upstairs...I didn't hear anything racist said.
That being said...I will tell you why no one in New York will "punch ot" unruly or racist ticketholders....because the person who does the punching gets thrown out of the show, too.

I learned this the hard way at a Rolling Syones show a couple of years back; my date and I were dealing with a drunk next to us who kept bumping into her and spilling drinks over us. I had had enough....punches were thrown and we all got ejected.

And the ushers/security people, at least in new York and New Jersey, don't want to hear anybody's "side" of the story if there is a fight. If there is vilence, anybody involved gets tossed.

Anyway....I hope that person who uttered the racist remark got thrown out.
We are already exposed to so much racism and hate in this country that the rest of us shouldn't have to "handle" them at a Bob Dylan show.
If it happens in your area, I would suggest that you let the ushers know about it.
Peace-
Richard

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 22:12 GMT 
Senior Moderator

So horrified by the attack on Mavis.

Here is the Beacon's Guest relations email is guestrelations@msg.com. The website phone number is just a recorded message referring you to their website.

Still 2 hours before Mavis takes the stage again, if anyone feels like letting them know how we feel about Mavis and the treatment she was given by one of their guests Wednesday night. We are looking for them to step up the immediate ejection of anyone who is offensive and/or racist to our American hero.

Despicable.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr (posted on Mavis's instagram).

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 04:58 GMT 

[quote="bobschool"]Souls of Previous Times, that is the most beautiful and eloquent sentiment i have heard regarding the experience of what it means to be a true bob appreciator

and i am sorry i almost teared up there please pardon my pain in these liminal days.

please i ask of you to understand you are ahead of your time once again.

to see Mavis earn a standing ovation each night surely must signify the end of our fears are soon.

hope to meet you somewhere on the road

the papers have been signed"

Thanks for the perspective and uplifting words bobschool. Here's to better days.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 05:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

everything was great tonight :D

love from the bottom to the top

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 05:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks Alouette!

oh shucks Souls, you are the one who is so inspiring, thank you so much for your stories and

reminding us of how it was the community that mattered too --

when truly understanding what bob's art has encompassed

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 05:12 GMT 

Oh god. I really hope they got to identify the person and let good old Baron get a hold of this person!

All the love in the world to Mavis!

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 05:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mavis was spectacular tonight
a super night
We can focus again on her excellent performances
she sang this David Bryne song tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwv9Yt1Pq4

love from the bottom to the top

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 20:03 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I received a reply to my Beacon email. They asked for my phone number so they could discuss with me more in detail. I complied with hours I could be reached Mon & Tues. I’ll report back once I speak with them.

The email was signed by:

Zarie Thuesday
Senior Coordinator, Guest Relations
The Madison Square Garden Company
Four Pennsylvania Plaza, 4th FL
New York, NY 10121-0091

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 21:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Looks like you're on a roll, Roll.
Thanks for taking on the spokesperson role, Roll.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 22:00 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Looks like you're on a roll, Roll.
Thanks for taking on the spokesperson role, Roll.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 23:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's hilarious!
We just need to be careful not to stoop down to the level of the racist.
MLK & Mahatma Gandhi knew where it was at.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 23:42 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
That's hilarious!
We just need to be careful not to stoop down to the level of the racist.
MLK & Mahatma Gandhi knew where it was at.

Indeed!

My image was referring to the seemingly slow-to-the-eject-button Beacon Security.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 23:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks for what you are doing, on so many levels.
I'm guessing Zarie Thuesday will be a concerned, open & professional individual.

Having briefly met you once (bought a ticket off you minutes before a show, when you openly asked if anyone needed one in Lowell 2013, remember?), I know we are in good hands.
Thanks Roll!

PostPosted: Sun November 26th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 

I posted it on their Facebook and wrote to them. Got nothing.

How could anyone swear and then say racist crap to that beautiful soul. I have never felt so welcomed at a show as I do when I go see her. In Boston, she looked down at me and asked, where ya been? Then Albany and the 2 Beacon shows she called me by name every night. She did it last year at her own shows roo. Told everyone how she knew me. How can someone be mean to someone who is sondelightful? I mean what did she do to make this idiot say that? She is the least offensive person I’ve ever met! A kind delightful spirit that deserves everything good.

(I suffer from a rare disease where I’m dizzy everyday. All the time. It’s getting better) Mavis made me feel so good and took me out of my misery by being so kind to me at her shows. She doesn’t even know it. I’d be so sick and she made me feel so welcomed and happy.

I think I would have smacked that guy’s lips against his teeth if I could have reached his face. I would have been tossed. (And beat up).

PostPosted: Sun November 26th, 2017, 20:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Amos wrote:
...I think I would have smacked that guy’s lips against his teeth if I could have reached his face. I would have been tossed. (And beat up).

Well, good thing you weren't nearby! We don't want you getting beat up and tossed out!
Although, I'll bet you woulda given him a run for his money if you were. He didn't stand a chance. I certainly wouldn't want to cross you again, ha ha. (Remember how we met at that CT show back when the Green Cards were opening for Bob?)

Thanks for posting to the powers-that-be at the Beacon. Wouldn't expect much from Facebook anyhow. Electronics seem like just a dodge-game when it comes to things like this.

I still think about this inexplicable incident in awe of how it even occurred. Maybe I'm naive? Maybe it somewhat parallels the way the USA is going? Is this what "great again" is? Yikes.

I recall Mavis pointing you out, Amos, or speaking kindly to you from the stage at some of the New England shows the last time she toured with Bob. There is definitely a connection you have there and I'm glad she makes you feel alright. She IS a great soul. You've been nice to me too. In fact that ticket I bought off Roll in the Duke Days, mentioned a few posts back in this thread.. I never even saw that seat because I went up to say hello to you before the show and you invited me to stay for the duration, at the rail. Surprised we didn't cross paths in Boston. We'll dance again next round!

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 06:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

oh praise the L-ord, N, i can't tell you how much better it makes me feel to hear you are getting better! oh happy day! i will pray for you!

and i am so glad you got to the beacon shows after the piano debacle i hope things in NYC were better?, i saw bob looking often into the front row on various brief videos here and there and i am sure he too took notice of you! well and maybe too the other regulars :lol: like abe an gf and i guess there is a girl named nona with blond/red steaked hair?, she has posted many instagram pix and testified to her undying love, lol aren't we all the most eclectic group :)

yay i knew you were gonna kick butt with your hic-cup razzing you, i do thibk you have such courage and tenacity that i admire so much! i do hope you are eeling better day by day, i know it is hard, but please know you have me sending light and love to you day by day too!

- jeanne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next