Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri September 21st, 2018, 00:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 05:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Love it :)

Finally hearing Standing in the Doorway from the first show of the year in great sound. I have few complaints. I've been listening to some fall shows too and we Dylan fans are lucky beyond belief.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 12:06 GMT 

I always enjoyed not knowing what song was coming next and trying to guess what it is as soon as I can. Definitely harder to experience that now but since he's started at least changing the set a little on each leg of the tour there's usually a few songs that I'm not expecting. I don't check the setlist on a tour I know I'm going to see him on.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 14:54 GMT 

I may have to take that approach, Jordan. Still prefer a real surprise over one I make an effort to create, though.

Regardless, glad I'm able to experience his show because - as we all know - they won't last forever.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:24 GMT 

I'd like a little more variety - but my wallet is fine with the lack of it.

Beacon shows in 2005 were a different beast than 2017. There was a lack of repetition of songs from 4/28 to 4/29. This time, the song variety wasn't as high. We do have a slightly longer set (by song count). It's hard to justify paying for very similar shows. That said, I still like to catch him once the set has changed up enough.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

twilight wrote:
I'd like a little more variety - but my wallet is fine with the lack of it.

Beacon shows in 2005 were a different beast than 2017. There was a lack of repetition of songs from 4/28 to 4/29. This time, the song variety wasn't as high. We do have a slightly longer set (by song count). It's hard to justify paying for very similar shows. That said, I still like to catch him once the set has changed up enough.

Hope you pulled the cobwebs outta that purse and at least went to ONE show.
You really couldn’t go wrong this time around.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 18:38 GMT 

I'm just wondering WHY he's stopped mixing up the setlists... don't think he'd give us an actual answer if asked (y'know, one that makes sense to ordinary human beings), though.
Can anyone tell me WHEN he settled for the (more or less) consistent setlist we have now?

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:54 GMT 

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
Can anyone tell me WHEN he settled for the (more or less) consistent setlist we have now?

The static setlist appeared at the first show of 2013: Buffalo, NY, 2013-04-05. On that tour he switched between Thunder on the Mountain and Summer Days between shows, but the bulk of the setlist was static. We started to see less variety in the song pool starting in 2006. Between 2000-2005 he played anywhere between 101-125 different songs a year. In 2006 he played 79 different songs. There was a brief increase in the amount of different songs in 2009, with 99 different songs played, but the other years between 2006-2012 have between 64 and 86 different songs played.

Obviously now the song pool is a lot smaller. I really enjoyed the show I caught in Nottingham earlier this year. It felt more like a special event because it was the only one I went to, and because of the static setlist I didn't get the fear of missing out that I used to get on tours where he played more varied setlists. Yes, I missed the excitement of not know what was coming next and I wish he'd switch things up a bit, but on the other hand the static setlist years have seen some fantastic performances that have since been left behind. For example, who could imagine we'd hear a gem like What Good Am I? every night in fall 2013?

I'd like to see a few more gems being dropped in. One wild card slot per static setlist show would make me very happy. That performance of Learning To Fly at Broomfield the other week was the most excited I've been about a Dylan setlist since he sang The Weight in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:

Although SetLists had already begun to staticize a few years prior to Duke, it was really in that 2013 Spring Tour when finally the bottom fell out regarding surprises.

Each Tour Leg since then had it's own little shakeout period with some early (minor) song changes and perhaps a unique one-off like with the McCrarys or Free Bird or something. Even had some Intermissions for a short period. Maybe even a Rome or a Desert Storm or a "Festival" list...
But each Leg became pretty tried & true once it got underway over the past 5 years.

On paper, or digitally, it's tough to take, and multiple strings of shows in a row can get boring, too, for some of us.
Personally, I gave up the show-after-show-after-show recipe sometime around the Circus Organ Period, (as U.P. calls it).

But a show or three per Leg seems like a good pull-back formula these days, especially now that the American Standards are beginning to filter out.

EDIT: and I agree with Midnight Wowboy's good comments, which I just now saw.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 05:14 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Hope you pulled the cobwebs outta that purse and at least went to ONE show.
You really couldn’t go wrong this time around.

I did pull the cobwebs out and go to a show this year, going to Dylan at the Anthem in DC. I thought about a Beacon show, but decided not to. I first saw Dylan at the Beacon in 2005. I'm not even too much of a hater of the American standards. I went with some first time concert goers this year and they actually liked the standards.

I prioritized on other acts this year. If I went to more Dylan shows, I wouldn't have been able to go see Springsteen on Broadway, U2, Roger Waters, and a fair amount of other groups.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 12:41 GMT 

I love the standards, just wish he'd mix it up a lot more. "That Old Black Magic" was a treat in Barrie, ON, but a surprise "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" would have been the highlight of 2017 for me.

Miss the days when I could look back on a three-night run knowing I'd seen at least 30 different songs. That wasn't that long ago, friends.

Still, as always, I'll take what I can get for as long as I can get it.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 13:13 GMT 

Looks like I got my wish ... at least in Lisbon.

Still wish gas was cheaper, though. :(

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 13:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

twilight wrote:
If I went to more Dylan shows, I wouldn't have been able to go see Springsteen on Broadway, U2, Roger Waters, and a fair amount of other groups.

And this would have been a bad thing?

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 19:42 GMT 

aberhwy61 wrote:
have seen bob around 100 times since '99 and would have sort of agreed with the op's sentiment as recently as this summer. i felt the show at providence was somewhat lifeless. this fall has been fantastic, however, and through the first 4 shows, the 5 night beacon stand has been truly outstanding and beyond worth going to each night. would love to see a mixed up setlist but they're on fire nonetheless.

Well, I'd love to spend a week in NYC and see Bob every night, it'd be even easier if maybe I lived there.

But if he had played the same five shows you mentioned in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho etc. with long drives and mounting travel expenses maybe it would be different? It certainly is for me. I used to see him *everywhere* now it better be close by or a city *really* worth visiting.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 20:28 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
bobschool wrote:
may i add i'll take bob cognitive dissonance for 500 please

in these days of canned entertainment and "rising tide of conformity"
the audience demands complexity, their ears have been overwhelmed by media productions...

-- it really is a victory for bob's words though,
his use of 'necessary words' as i call his cosmic interpolations of foundational lexicons

is still beyond most people's understandings so they have a much beautiful wtf was that reaction
and their cosmogonies have been transubstantiated away from demon conformity despite themselves

I just want to publicly state that I love BobSchool.

"...so they have a much beautiful wtf was that reaction and their cosmogonies have been transubstantiated away from demon conformity despite themselves"

I wonder if she is from Funner, California?

I love bobschool !
I raise a glass to you

moab

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 11:16 GMT 

The smaller amount of songs is probably partly down to Bob's age; even in his younger days it must have been hard to memorize so many arrangements and lyrics, and that would only get harder as Bob gets older.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 15:37 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
The smaller amount of songs is probably partly down to Bob's age; even in his younger days it must have been hard to memorize so many arrangements and lyrics, and that would only get harder as Bob gets older.

In this case Bob should engage a prompter or use a tele-prompter.
If this is too expensive for him: I'm prepared to give him "Dylan - The Lyrics: 1961-2012" for free, when he comes to Germany next month!

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 21:24 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

At first sight, it does look like an explanation, but I don't think it really is. I think the arrangements are more the bands "problem" and also, nobody forced him to do songs in different way every other tour. He does have lyric sheets at the piano and from what I can tell, he had no more difficulty to remember lyrics center-stage (where there seem to be no lyric sheets) than he had 15, 20 years ago. Must be something else. One explanation would be that he's sick and tired of some of his older songs and just didn't want to sing them anymore, but that can't be it either, because he certainly sounds as if he doesn't want to do "Blowin'" and a couple of others and he still does.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 21:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe he just forgot he wrote all those other songs.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 21:59 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

At first sight, it does look like an explanation, but I don't think it really is. I think the arrangements are more the bands "problem" and also, nobody forced him to do songs in different way every other tour. He does have lyric sheets at the piano and from what I can tell, he had no more difficulty to remember lyrics center-stage (where there seem to be no lyric sheets) than he had 15, 20 years ago. Must be something else. One explanation would be that he's sick and tired of some of his older songs and just didn't want to sing them anymore, but that can't be it either, because he certainly sounds as if he doesn't want to do "Blowin'" and a couple of others and he still does.

I think he's going for a kind of 'live concept album' feel, where all the songs are carefully sequenced to form a narrative of sorts, and he's choosing the songs that he feels best fit the story he's trying to tell.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 22:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
I think he's going for a kind of 'live concept album' feel, where all the songs are carefully sequenced to form a narrative of sorts, and he's choosing the songs that he feels best fit the story he's trying to tell.

Yeah, and if that’s the case, perhaps he’s been trying since 2013?
Here’s to hoping he finds what he’s looking for 6 years later.

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2018, 02:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks moab and barefoot, very kind of you!

thanks everyone for putting up with my craziness

- quanta

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 17:35 GMT 

I think this is all about evolution:

Next variation:

Thc
Dont think twice
Beyond here lies nothin ----- kicks out hw61
Trying to get to heaven
Duquesne whistle
Melancholy mood
Pay in blood
Tangled up in blue
Love sick
High water ----- kicks out Honest with me
Simple twist of fate
Erk
Spirit on the water
Thunder on the mountain
Soon after midnight
Lawy
Autumn leaves

Blowin
Thin man

Another variation ULTIMATE 2018 SET:

Thc
She belongs to me ---- kicks out dttia
Bhln
Melancholy mood --- kicks out slot #4
Duquesne
Waiting for you
Pib
Tangled
Love sick
High water
Stof
Erk
Spirit on the water
Scarlet town --- kicks out Thunder
Soon after midnight
Lawy
Autumn leaves

Thin man
Blowin

(Identical to the 2013 - 2015 set).

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 18:03 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

Yeah, and if that’s the case, perhaps he’s been trying since 2013?
Here’s to hoping he finds what he’s looking for 6 years later.

I think whatever it was he was looking for he found in the Fall of 2013. He's moved on since then, admittedly slower than most if us would like. He played that first static set so many times, I think he would have made (small) changes sooner if he had thought something was off.

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 18:05 GMT 

Matt_77 wrote:
I think this is all about evolution:

Next variation:

Thc
Dont think twice
Beyond here lies nothin ----- kicks out hw61
Trying to get to heaven
Duquesne whistle
Melancholy mood
Pay in blood
Tangled up in blue
Love sick
High water ----- kicks out Honest with me
Simple twist of fate
Erk
Spirit on the water
Thunder on the mountain
Soon after midnight
Lawy
Autumn leaves

Blowin
Thin man

Another variation ULTIMATE 2018 SET:

Thc
She belongs to me ---- kicks out dttia
Bhln
Melancholy mood --- kicks out slot #4
Duquesne
Waiting for you
Pib
Tangled
Love sick
High water
Stof
Erk
Spirit on the water
Scarlet town --- kicks out Thunder
Soon after midnight
Lawy
Autumn leaves

Thin man
Blowin

(Identical to the 2013 - 2015 set).

Ooops!! Be careful. You've mentioned Spirit twice. The Spirit whinging might start again. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 18:25 GMT 

I’m just very grateful that Bob’s still on the road and committed to such a busy touring schedule. There aren’t a lot of people with the drive and commitment to pull off such a feat and he’s also at an age where it is likely increasingly difficult to memorise lyrics accurately.

I work with people suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia and many are much younger than Bob. I think his indefatigability is largely responsible for keeping him in good shape.