Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 13th, 2018, 04:25 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 14:13 GMT 

Been seeing shows since 1991. Always made it a point to see at least one show a year. Took a few years off and was going to jump back into the tour. I think the current setup has me missing the overpriced scalpers and ticket brokers. Almost $600 for front row? Almost $500 for 3rd row? Man. $300 for level 2 tickets. What on Earth is going on?

I know, I know...it's a business and they can charge what they want, but man, I guess I'm gonna need to take a few more years off. Damn I was looking forward to seeing Bob again. And I did try all day for even decent seats, and was looking at $180ish for the section all the way in the back. Seems silly (to me) to dump around $400 for two horrible seats. Sigh. Such is life.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 14:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

jalov wrote:
...man, I guess I'm gonna need to take a few more years off.

Prices will be even higher by then, ha ha.
Inflation is getting ready to go through the roof.
Strap in.

Anyhow with that typical human ‘I’ll-do-it-later’ logic, you might
be setting yourself up for entry onto the Highway of Regret.

There’s always a way...No time like the present.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 15:05 GMT 

Last time I went to a show, I forked over $280 for tickets in the 10th row. It was not an easy decision. The only way I'd pay that much again is if I were traveling to see him, which hasn't happened in awhile. The most recent shows sound fantastic, but I can't really justify spending $200 or more for one show.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 15:13 GMT 

Just bought a ticket for 162 US$, row 13 or something.

Back in 2013 when Bob played Stockholm the prices rose to a new high for me, which was 120$ for the first 10 rows. I managed to get a first row ticket by buying it at the exact time they were released (which you cant do anymore. Tried to get Fort Myers yesterday. I got the row 13 ticket, because row 1-12 were not available at 10 am, when they were released). It later became standard in 14-15, now it's upped even more. On top of these expensive tickets, he also added 10-15 rows of Gold, VIP, silver, "hot"-packages.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 16:01 GMT 

Yeah, I was loving the current setlist and looking to attend my first show since 2015 but those prices are keeping me away. Ain't no show I'd be willing to pay more than $100 for.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 16:03 GMT 

I'll admit it's def his right (or the company's) to charge what they feel is proper. I think with the Mrs in tow for our concert trips, I've just been priced out of the Dylan equation needing two tickets per show. It would be nice if they mixed some general purchase seats with the "hot ticket" package or whatever it's called, as indeed, it looks like the first 10 rows are locked up for these (in my eyes) REALLY expensive seats. never thought the day would come when two front row Dylan seats directly through Ticketmaster would run over $1200 after fees and whatnot. It really doesn't matter to me who the artist is, that's a ton of cash to shell out. And as I said, even "settling" for the lowest tier of seats runs approximately $200 per ticket...which still is a ton.

In the grand scheme of life, not being able to go to a concert is only a minor annoyance, but knowing Bob has finally priced me out of his shows is def a bummer. Remember the good old days touring , with Petty I think, when he made a fuss from stage that he didn't want to play until the front row seats were filled by all the people with the really bad seats. Never would have thought the current scene would be as it is.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 17:08 GMT 

Assuming you mean US dollars, which concert are you looking at where there are no tickets under $200?

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 17:41 GMT 

I was checking out Atlantic City. There are tickets under $200 of course, but all that was left was the pretty crappy seats, which again, is fine. I think what my personal issue is, and just MY issue, is how anything remotely near the stage is beyond ridiculously priced. None of the shows are near me, so I just don't think, again for me only, the prices plus the travel makes it worth it. And also like I said, the fact that anything remotely near the stage is now counted as these "hot seats" package, just a bummer. The old days of Ticketmaster certainly weren't perfect, but at least there was always a chance (I scored 2nd row to Dylan and Paul Simon in Pittsburgh) of getting decent seats.

Again,all of the above is simply my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

belleseb32 wrote:
Yeah, I was loving the current setlist and looking to attend my first show since 2015 but those prices are keeping me away. Ain't no show I'd be willing to pay more than $100 for.

How about $117?

That’s what I paid.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:04 GMT 

There are a bunch of tickets for Atlantic City for 50 bucks.

If I weren't going with HRH mrs. drawers, I would take those seats.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:07 GMT 

.....and I've seen very decent seats in AC for $ 120.00 each.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Unfortunately, as long as schmucks keep paying $500 to sit in the 5th row, the trend will likely continue.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:25 GMT 

If I had the money, I'd be happy to be a schmuck.....unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 19:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

chester drawers wrote:

yay I just bought a $120. seat for AC after seeing your post chester !!!!

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 20:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Seems that as the middle class disappears, entertainments like rock concerts that used to be for the masses are increasingly only for the rich. Who else would drop a car payment on 2 tickets to a 90 minute show? Or even one if you want a good seat...and that’s another thing...you used to a good seat by sitting in line for hours, sometimes overnight, now it’s just a function of your income bracket instead of your fandom. These are general trends and not Dylan’s fault of course. I’ve heard the stones sell some tickets where you’ll probably get the lousy seat but some good seat are also given out randomly. Kind of like a lottery. It’s better than nothing, and I think Dylan should try something similar.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 20:20 GMT 

Just for the record, I am not implying I have some sort of right to good seats, but moreso feel it would just be nice to at least have a shot at them, without having to pay some insane-o "hot ticket" price as my only option.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 21:30 GMT 

Alouette wrote:
chester drawers wrote:

yay I just bought a $120. seat for AC after seeing your post chester !!!!

Outstanding !
Glad for the assist, Ms. Alouette.

We haven't got ours yet, but we will be there for sure !

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 21:36 GMT 

jalov wrote:
Just for the record, I am not implying I have some sort of right to good seats, but moreso feel it would just be nice to at least have a shot at them, without having to pay some insane-o "hot ticket" price as my only option.

You are absolutely right.
There should be some portion of these great seats available for general sale at a reasonable price......."reasonable", is of course totally subjective.

PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 04:39 GMT 

"Crappy seats" is also a very subjective term. Dylan doesn't play many shows at big arenas. Even the $50-$70 seats, furthest from the stage, are a lot closer than the worst seats at, say, a Paul McCartney concert. I saw Sir Paul last year for $50. My seat was literally against the back wall in the upper deck (Barclay Center, NYC). At most Dylan shows, there is no seat as bad as that. And yet, I still had a great time.

If you can see the man with your own two eyes, and you can hear his performance, you are getting "The Cake". Being close to the stage is just The Icing.

PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 11:52 GMT 

Good old times with general admission tickets, which we then thought to be expensive, but which were quite cheap compared to nowadays.
Sometimes of course you had bad luck, when ten two-meter-fans stood just in front of you. But much more fans than today were much nearer to the stage and to the artists.
In the beginning of this century it was possible to look into Bob's face after paying about 50 to 60 Euros without using binoculars.
Not to forget: A standing audience is not only spatial nearer to the artist. It is much more emotional connected with the artist than a sitting audience.
And without any doubt: Today's ticket prices aren't fair at all. But fair doesn't seem to be a criterion for our artists (and Bob proves this rule).
They demand the highest possible price, in spite of which the venues can be filled.

PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 22:02 GMT 

The Reasoner wrote:
"Crappy seats" is also a very subjective term. Dylan doesn't play many shows at big arenas. Even the $50-$70 seats, furthest from the stage, are a lot closer than the worst seats at, say, a Paul McCartney concert. I saw Sir Paul last year for $50. My seat was literally against the back wall in the upper deck (Barclay Center, NYC). At most Dylan shows, there is no seat as bad as that. And yet, I still had a great time.

If you can see the man with your own two eyes, and you can hear his performance, you are getting "The Cake". Being close to the stage is just The Icing.

I'm going to politely disagree. Just because his name is "Bob Dylan" doesn't exclude him from the impossibility of having bad seats. Caught him on a whim, circa 2001/2002 at West Virginia University, in their basketball arena. Since it was a "day of" decision, the lady friend and I ended up last row, upper deck in the arena. View seemed like miles away, and the sound, bouncing off the ceiling and back wall was atrocious. That's not to say Bob's perfermance was atrocious, but the location of our seats didn't lend themselves to a good view or good sound. I think it's romanticizing the artist by implying just being within the same venue as he is perfection, and good seats are just bonuses on top of that. My opinion only. Which brings me back to my original point...not saying I somehow deserve amazing seats, it would just really be nice if those of us who don't want the guaranteed $600 front row seats at least theoretically had some sort of shot at them as well. Not saying it's a necessity, simply saying it would be a nice thing.

PostPosted: Mon August 20th, 2018, 11:22 GMT 

My second Bob Dylan concert back in 1993 it was 24€, all standing tickets.

PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2018, 23:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

GuillemTM wrote:
My second Bob Dylan concert back in 1993 it was 24€, all standing tickets.

Pretty similar cost to other shows at the time, right?

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 00:28 GMT 

The ticketing system sucks now. As pointed out earlier the days are gone when you could get a great seat the second a presale came online. Its like that for most shows now. When the Bob Weir presale opened a few weeks ago the best they offered was 10th row. F that.

I have better luck now waiting until the days before a show when production hold seats are released. That's how I got front center at my last Dylan show.

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:00 GMT 

So apparently calling the box office works now. I bought a $35 theatre membership, called right at 1000 and they put me in the front row directly in front of Bob at regular price of $100, not the $600 that Ticketbastard is trying to get. I'm not sure if it helped but I promised the box office guy that I'd bring them donuts if they gave me good seats. Needless to say they're going to be getting donuts this week.