Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 11:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 21:31 GMT 

Yes, something odd there...

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 21:32 GMT 
Senior Moderator

cohenadmirer wrote:
That's weird - Bill P still has i'm a fool before tangled.

Mistake somewhere?

I would trust Johanna's got the correct answer.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 21:34 GMT 

#8 is confirmed as...
Come rain or come shine

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 21:41 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
cohenadmirer wrote:
That's weird - Bill P still has i'm a fool before tangled.

Mistake somewhere?

I would trust Johanna's got the correct answer.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 21:53 GMT 

Who would blame Bill for some copy & paste these days..

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 22:04 GMT 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 22:17 GMT 

There was security at tonight's show whereas last night there was none. Last night you could walk right into the venue with no checks at all. Tonight we had to line up and go past a security guy at the door. Then we were frisked and bags were searched by further security just inside the door. I assume (and hope) that the doors were closed during the performance. It was not an airport-level search but things had changed.

The atmosphere was not tense. Nor could I detect any strong emotion in the air regarding the terrible events in Paris. The audience generally wanted to clap and whoop and have a good time. Some at the back even tried to dance. In fact, many seemed to want a rock show. They were at the wrong gig.

I wish I could say that the songs took on an extra poignancy or something, but they didn't (at least not to me). The show went on, and that is all.

Bob rushed through Blowin' in the Wind and made a hash of the second verse.

It was a better show than last night. The sound was improved. The band and Bob were livelier, when last night they were a bit sluggish.

It was my last show of the tour. My abiding memory of tonight's performance will be Charlie's exquisite playing. He really shone on Scarlet Town and All Or Nothing At All, finding a beautiful, sweet tone. Chapeau, as they say in France.

It was also a pleasure to run into Johanna on the way out (as everyone else was still clapping for another encore and Bob was already on the road to Austria). Safe travelling to you, Johanna, and maybe we'll meet again someday.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 22:27 GMT 

thanks markrogers

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 22:45 GMT 

markrogers wrote:
There was security at tonight's show whereas last night there was none. Last night you could walk right into the venue with no checks at all. Tonight we had to line up and go past a security guy at the door. Then we were frisked and bags were searched by further security just inside the door. I assume (and hope) that the doors were closed during the performance. It was not an airport-level search but things had changed.

The atmosphere was not tense. Nor could I detect any strong emotion in the air regarding the terrible events in Paris. The audience generally wanted to clap and whoop and have a good time. Some at the back even tried to dance. In fact, many seemed to want a rock show. They were at the wrong gig.

I wish I could say that the songs took on an extra poignancy or something, but they didn't (at least not to me). The show went on, and that is all.

Bob rushed through Blowin' in the Wind and made a hash of the second verse.

It was a better show than last night. The sound was improved. The band and Bob were livelier, when last night they were a bit sluggish.

It was my last show of the tour. My abiding memory of tonight's performance will be Charlie's exquisite playing. He really shone on Scarlet Town and All Or Nothing At All, finding a beautiful, sweet tone. Chapeau, as they say in France.

It was also a pleasure to run into Johanna on the way out (as everyone else was still clapping for another encore and Bob was already on the road to Austria). Safe travelling to you, Johanna, and maybe we'll meet again someday.

In Paris , the terrorists walked into the dark hall while the gig was on, with their big guns. I guess it will become normal and widespread for the venue doors to be locked after the show has started, but really there is no infallible way to stop this stuff happening. We should all expect more security but whatever bob thinks cameras are no threat! There are far worse things than lots of people gathering evidence that you look cool for a guy in your mid 70s.
Just have to remember the biggest terrorist weapon is massively exaggerated fear based on an unlikely possibility , so lets keep on keeping on and enjoying ourselves.Sounds like the audience in a place whose wider conurbation is actually partly in France managed to do this :) .
As for set poignancy , the 'sinatra songs' are all sad , and can induce tearfulness for any in that sort of mood so there was a cathartic opportunity for any who needed it for whatever reason.

Would have been nice had bob acknowledged what happened in Paris, but it's not his style and just keeping on is good enough.

Pity to lose ' i'm a fool' - the highlight old standard for me

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nobody noticed the glorious hatlessness on High Water, Change & Love Sick? :shock: Hat was held in hand as a prop... cream colored baggy jacket. All in all, not much to complain about. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:02 GMT 

well thats more self exposing and i guess a kind of defiance?
A friend of mine claims that he always sings better without a hat.
Well died hair?

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Seemed less dyed than in those terrible old people's mag photos. His microphone was set up different than usual though, so he couldn't hold on to it as usually. It seemed further back, too. I felt he was holding on to his hat instead, just to have something to do with his hands.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:11 GMT 

Yes, I had wondered about the significance of the hatlessness. Of course, taking off your hat is a sign of respect. But then he popped it back on during Love Sick and spoilt that theory. Splendid barnet for a chap of his vintage.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

wow.

thank you band and crew.

Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

markrogers wrote:
Yes, I had wondered about the significance of the hatlessness. Of course, taking off your hat is a sign of respect. But then he popped it back on during Love Sick and spoilt that theory. Splendid barnet for a chap of his vintage.

The sign of respect thing depends on your cultural background though. Covering your head can be a sign of respect, too. Either way, I wouldn't read too much into it. It was just good to see vintage Bob hair again. Very halo-like in the lights during Love Sick. I know some people will just swoon if photos of this ever appear.

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 23:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

The detailed nuances are becoming so slight & so finite at this point, I just hope Watson is getting all this.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 00:08 GMT 

cohenadmirer wrote:
... Would have been nice had bob acknowledged what happened in Paris, but it's not his style and just keeping on is good enough.

Remember in 2001 when Bob Dylan opened his first show after the tragic events of September 11th with "Wait For The Light To Shine"?

Maybe the appearance of “Come Rain or Come Shine” with its lines ‘Happy together, unhappy together’ and ‘Days may be cloudy or sunny’ are not entirely unconnected to the events in Paris, especially as Dylan replaced “I'm A Fool To Want You” with it.

For according to a piece in the Guardian the attack at the Bataclan started like this: “The ambiance was very jovial. The group had been on about an hour and they’d just said “We love you Paris” and started singing a song, Kiss the Devil, with the words ‘I met the Devil and this is his song’ when we heard very clearly some explosions.”

So maybe Dylan was aware of this fact, and simply did not want to sing about ‘a kiss the Devil has known’ during the second Basel show.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 00:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Or perhaps he simply chose not to give those bastards that conducted such a cowardly act any free publicity.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 01:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The detailed nuances are becoming so slight & so finite at this point, I just hope Watson is getting all this.

You mean Mary Jane Watson Porter? I didn't know that she goes abroad!

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 01:56 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
cohenadmirer wrote:
... Would have been nice had bob acknowledged what happened in Paris, but it's not his style and just keeping on is good enough.

Remember in 2001 when Bob Dylan opened his first show after the tragic events of September 11th with "Wait For The Light To Shine"?

Maybe the appearance of “Come Rain or Come Shine” with its lines ‘Happy together, unhappy together’ and ‘Days may be cloudy or sunny’ are not entirely unconnected to the events in Paris, especially as Dylan replaced “I'm A Fool To Want You” with it.

For according to a piece in the Guardian the attack at the Bataclan started like this: “The ambiance was very jovial. The group had been on about an hour and they’d just said “We love you Paris” and started singing a song, Kiss the Devil, with the words ‘I met the Devil and this is his song’ when we heard very clearly some explosions.”

So maybe Dylan was aware of this fact, and simply did not want to sing about ‘a kiss the Devil has known’ during the second Basel show.

Hard to imagine that Bob might be aware of this, but if not deliberate, it is a very odd coincidence ?

Thanks for providing this information.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 03:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

chester drawers wrote:

Hard to imagine that Bob might be aware of this, but if not deliberate, it is a very odd coincidence ?

They do call him Lucky, after all.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 08:47 GMT 

BuffaloTom wrote:
slewan wrote:
Stu (and/or the band) could open the show with the French National anthem
Bob could do Blowin' In The Wind as the first song

"Master, give us a sign !!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9mfZbTFbk

The hat is the sign !!!

Maybe tonight in Bregenz he scratches himself three times behind the left ear.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 08:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

He scratched himself enough last night. He'll probably just wash his hair today. :P

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 11:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

You mean Mary Jane Watson Porter? I didn't know that she goes abroad!

She's occasionally in the tap rotation when you least expect it.

PostPosted: Sun November 15th, 2015, 13:58 GMT 

chester drawers wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:
... Maybe the appearance of “Come Rain or Come Shine” with its lines ‘Happy together, unhappy together’ and ‘Days may be cloudy or sunny’ are not entirely unconnected to the events in Paris, especially as Dylan replaced “I'm A Fool To Want You” with it.

Thanks for providing this information.

Unless we assume that Dylan was in a media lockdown between his two shows in Basel, I do not find it "hard to imagine that Bob might be aware of this"; so for me it does not seem like "a very odd coincidence" that after 33 appearances in a row, the song gets dropped for the first time on his longest European tour. I guess we will find out tonight, if it was "deliberate", and if it was, I would assume that we will not hear Dylan sing about ‘a kiss the Devil has known’ for the remainder for this tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next