This is the 36th show of the 2018 Never Ending Tour

Previous 2018 shows:
26 Europe Spring
9 Australasia Summer
----
35 Total 2018

---
MUSIC LEGEND RETURNS WITH SONGBOOK SPANNING SIX DECADES
- After a 3-night rest, Bob Dylan comes to Sydney for this large venue show, the first of 2 nights in town.

Bob Dylan plays ICC SYDNEY THEATRE on 18 August 2018!

In a career spanning six decades, Bob Dylan’s impact on popular music and culture is immeasurable. He is responsible for some of the most influential albums of all time, including The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, and his socially and politically charged singles, ‘Blowin’ In The Wind’ and ‘The Times They Are A-Changin’, are widely considered among the most important songs in modern music. The ‘voice of a generation’ boasts an unparalleled repertoire, including timeless classics, ‘Like A Rolling Stone’, ‘Tangled Up In Blue’, ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’ and ‘Girl From The North Country’.

To experience Bob Dylan live in concert is an opportunity to share an encounter with one of the last remaining musical legends of the modern era. Don’t miss out on what promises be a performance for the ages.

IMPORTANT EVENT INFORMATION
Enjoy these restrictions to help you have a much better time.

Due to enhanced security procedures, the following items will not be permitted on entry.
• Backpacks of any kind or size
• Personal bags (clutch) or purses larger than (H)30cm x (W)30cm x (D)15cm
• Food or beverages or any bottles of any type
• Professional cameras (with detachable lenses/larger than pocket size), selfie-sticks and large umbrellas
• Any items on the Prohibited Items list.
All bags will be subject to a security search. To avoid delays we highly recommend you arrive early. Should you be arriving with a prohibited item please cloak your items at the ICC Sydney Theatre cloakroom.

General Conditions of Entry
International Convention Centre Sydney (‘Venue’) and ICC Sydney Management (‘ICC Sydney’) are dedicated to providing a safe and enjoyable environment for all visitors, patrons, delegates and team members. These General Conditions of Entry are applicable to all visitors, delegates, patrons and team members attending the Venue and are subject to change without notice, based on specific event requirements in the sole discretion of ICC Sydney.

Entry into the Venue is subject to the following General Conditions of Entry:
• Venue access is only permitted to those who are in possession of a valid ticket or accreditation pass, or to those who have been invited to attend a specific event or function. ICC Sydney team members reserve the right to refuse entry or remove any person from the Venue, that does not comply with these entry requirements.
• The right of admission is reserved. In particular, ICC Sydney reserves the right to refuse entry to, or to remove from, the Venue any persons who are intoxicated or disorderly, or whose conduct is unlawful, or offensive. Any person who causes a disturbance or who refuses to comply with reasonable requests from ICC Sydney will be removed from the Venue.
• In accordance with the Smoke-Free Environment Act 2000 No.69, ICC Sydney is a smoke-free building. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the Venue. Any patron who refuses to comply, will be removed from the Venue.
• It is to be clearly noted that under the Civil Liabilities Act 2002 No 22, general admission crowds and general access may cause recreational risk. All patrons purchasing tickets or attending events within the Venue are asked to assess their own risk prior to entry.
• Persons under the age of 12 must be under the direct supervision of an adult at all times. ICC Sydney reserves the right to refuse entry to, or to remove from, the Venue or to refer to the police any persons under the age of 12 who are without adult supervision.
• Bags and other items may be subject to inspection and patrons may be searched. Any person who refuses inspections or searches may be denied entry to the Venue.
• ICC Sydney is a Licenced Premises and fully supports and practices the Responsible Service of Alcohol. Any person found inside the Venue to be intoxicated, violent, quarrelsome or disorderly will be removed and prevented from re-entering. Police will be notified of any person found supplying minors with alcohol and these persons will also be removed from the Venue.
• Vistors, patrons and delegates may be requested to provide proof of identity and/or age at any time.
• Visitors, patrons and delegates are generally not permitted to bring external or commercial food or beverage products into the Venue. Decisions about whether such products will be permitted are at the discretion of ICC Sydney or based on specific event requirements. Visitors will generally be advised to dispose of such items or will have the items confiscated prior to entering the Venue. This does not apply to food or beverages for persons with special medical dietary requirements, provided that such food or beverages are not packaged in prohibited containers.
• ICC Sydney will refuse entry to persons who are drug affected or carrying illegal substances.
• ICC Sydney will refuse entry to persons carrying or attempting to bring in alcohol and alcohol beverages, cans, glass and bottles (including PET bottles unless otherwise expressly stated).
• ICC Sydney will refuse entry to persons carrying or attempting to bring in weapons, laser pointers, fireworks, chains, glow sticks, skateboards, skates and scooters.
• ICC Sydney may refuse entry of backpacks and bags, other than ladies handbags or bags of similar size.
• ICC Sydney will refuse entry of drones and or other remote controlled devices.
• Prams and strollers will be restricted from entering the seating bowl of the Venue’s theatres. Alternative areas to park or cloak prams and strollers will be provided on an event by event basis.
• Any person wearing any 'Colours' or 'Insignia' signifying belonging to any of the Outlaw Motor Cycle Clubs (OLMC’s) or other group as designated by Police, is prohibited from entering, or being in the Venue. This includes coats, T shirts, scarfs, waistcoats, caps, patches etc that indicate a person belongs to any of such OLMC’s or groups.
• Any person found interfering with the emergency equipment of the Venue, displaying or wearing any lewd or offensive clothing, throwing objects to endanger other patrons or team member, damaging seats or any other equipment or assets of the Venue will be removed and if deemed necessary, police may be requested to press charges.
• ICC Sydney may utilise audio and visual recording equipment to record the event. The image or likeness of visitors, patrons, delegates and workers may be captured and these images and recordings utilised by ICC Sydney in the future.
• ICC Sydney is monitored by a CCTV network, persons entering ICC Sydney have shown their acknowledgement of this.
• Patrons may not bring animals into the Venue (other than an assistance animal in the company of its registered owner).All visitors, delegates, patrons and team members attending the Venue are responsible for their own personal possessions and must not leave bags or possessions unattended at any time.
• All visitors, delegates and patrons attending the Venue must not solicit, attempt to sell or distribute any goods or advertising, promotional or politicial materials (or similar) to persons attending the Venue.
• Commercial photography or large, professional or intrusive photography equipment is not permitted in the shared foyers and concourses of ICC Sydney and client approval for photography is required inside contracted event spaces.

• In addition to the General Conditions of Entry, ICC Sydney prohibits any person from entering, or attempting to enter the Venue for the purposes of attending a Theatre, concert or entertainment event, with:

• Food and beverage products purchased from any commercial outlets outside the Venue.
• Professional cameras with detachable lenses or fixed lenses that extend more than 5cm from the body of the camera.
• Any audio or video recording devices.
• umbrellas longer than 300mm (when in the closed position)
• large iPads/tablets (over 8.5" measured diagonally)
• horns, trumpets, sirens or Vuvuzela type of noise making devices
• knives, Weapons, Laser Pointers, Texta type felt pens, scissors, chewing gum
• studded belts and wristbands, wallet chains and similar such items are also strictly prohibited
• backpacks and bags larger than (W)30cm x (H)30cm x (D)15cm
• alcohol, cans, glass or bottles of any kind
• glow sticks and other such illuminating objects
• selfie sticks
• eskies, boxes and large flags / signs
• Motorcycle helmets
This list of Prohibited Items is subject to change without notice, based on specific event requirements in the sole opinion of ICC Sydney, or as requested by artists or performers from time to time.

https://www.iccsydney.com.au/visit-icc- ... /Bob-Dylan

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 06:49 GMT 

Have a great show everyone!

PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 06:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
In addition to the General Conditions of Entry, ICC Sydney prohibits any person from entering, or attempting to enter the Venue for the purposes of attending a Theatre, concert or entertainment event, with:

• eskies, boxes and large flags / signs

Damn, they must have read that other thread!

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 05:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen.
- Bob Lemon

thanks down under

William H. Martin, The Modern Farmer, copyright 1909 by Martin Post Card Co.

The Links : Sounds Of Silence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LawPB2CREOM

from "Folk rock. Australian rock. More.":
"Not a lot is known about The Links. From Minneapolis, they comprised brothers Tom Link (lead vocals / cordovox accordion)
and Jim Link (bass, vocals) along with drummer Stan Galli. They released 5 or 6 albums from around 1971 - 1980,
all apparently private pressings. Unkind listeners might call the music cheesy for their renditions of MOR standards
and popular songs from eg CCR or Chicago. Still well played, however.

But occasionally, they would present something unexpected such as this unique instrumental version
of The Sounds Of Silence. There's a pretty strong WTF element, in that it doesn't necessarily go as you'd expect
but also doesn't seem any the worse for it."

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 08:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

From Who’s Going thread:

Sat 18 Sydney, Australia
Attending: cameron_williams

Best to you Cameron & everyone else attending!
Anticipating good words from the field.

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 14:11 GMT 

"• ICC Sydney may utilise audio and visual recording equipment to record the event. The image or likeness of visitors, patrons, delegates and workers may be captured and these images and recordings utilised by ICC Sydney in the future."

Bob Dylan is a worker in this contex - I hope they will do their job. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 05:28 GMT 

Word is Bob was enjoying the opera last night. Might make for an inspired vocal performance!

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 05:58 GMT 

Jack Donohue 93 wrote:
Word is Bob was enjoying the opera last night. Might make for an inspired vocal performance!

Where'd you hear that?

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 06:05 GMT 
Senior Moderator

dylanguy wrote:
Jack Donohue 93 wrote:

Where'd you hear that?

https://twitter.com/LyndonTerracini/sta ... 9366569984

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 06:10 GMT 

Yep, that Twitter post is my source haha. A fellow Dylan fan brought it to my attention

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 06:26 GMT 

Haha imagine being in the audience and seeing Bob there. I would've loved to hear the conversation they had

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 06:33 GMT 

Wonderful concert to everyone who is enough lucky to go to see Bob in the beautiful Sydney.

Live set list would be nice.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 07:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

SirDogg wrote:

I'm a chick I got license to cry. kismet kisses

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 09:57 GMT 

The show should be just about to start. Guess this will be the first show of “The Opera Era”.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 10:06 GMT 

At the show now, just noticed bob has his Oscar on stage? Does he do this every night

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 10:17 GMT 

Yep, been there since he won it. Although it’s not the real thing.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 10:20 GMT 

JackaRoe61 wrote:
Wonderful concert to everyone who is enough lucky to go to see Bob in the beautiful Sydney.

Live set list would be nice.

Pretty much impossible. Security are way over the top. As soon as you bring out your phone (even to check the time or whatever), there’s a flashlight in your eyes.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 10:45 GMT 

Standard set up to HWM

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 12:06 GMT 

Show’s just finished - standard set. Another great night. Will add some more comments soon 8)

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 12:57 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Jack Donohue 93 wrote:
Show’s just finished - standard set. Another great night. Will add some more comments soon 8)

Thanks! Hope you had a good time 8)

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 13:44 GMT 

I hope you all had a fantastic show tonight, I'm sure you did and hopefully Bob came out nice and fired up after 3 nights off in a row!

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 13:55 GMT 

Jack Donohue 93 wrote:

I was there tonight and Bob' voice was the best I have heard in years. Excellent on all songs. Masterpiece and Don't think twice was the highlights for me. But all was good. No "Sinatra songs", what a relief. A huge hall, but the sound was very good. Not much security check at all when entering the arena. Good! I'm looking forward to 3 more concerts!

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 14:19 GMT 

Fine, that you had a great Bob night. Let's hope, the show was recorded inspite of the security (btw: I don't know, why the security is so focussed on tapers. In the last 50 years nearly all shows were recorded. And as far as we know, Bob doesn't have to starve because of this. After so many years he should know, that it's impossible to keep his output under his control. But the earlier or later circulating tapes of the shows will sound worse, if the controls are too tight.)
My personal wish: I hope, Bob will integrate WATCHTOWER once again into his actual setlist.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 14:22 GMT 

The show didn't start till about 8:10. I suspect this was because of major train problems and delays that were occurring tonight- but I could be wrong about that. They were still soundchecking Charlie's guitar at 7:58. So then Stu comes on stage and does his doodling around on the guitar- it was a different tune than what he has typically been playing for the past few years.
The setlist was the same as previous nights. Because the show started late I thought that maybe they might not play Ballad of a thin man like they did in one of the earlier Asia shows, but they played it in its usual spot. There seemed to be some problems going on with Stu's electric guitar for the first few songs- there was a lot of turning nobs on amps and someone ended up bringing him a new guitar.
I was surprised by how much Bob walks around after each song. After every song he would turn and talk/laugh around with Donnie behind him and would sometimes go over and have a chat with George on drums. Also after every song he would go and fiddle with something behind him. I think maybe he was powdering his fingers or something, and there were afew times I think I saw him have a drink. Or maybe he was just picking out a harmonica.
I think Things Have Changed is underappreciated. I think because he always opens with it that you sort of dismiss it, but it's such a great song and for him to have it in the set is a treat. It's arrangement has constantly evolved through the years of the 'static set'; it's less rumbly than before, its also less bluesly then before.
It has always fascinated me how he plays Tryin To Get To Heaven in his live shows every since he started performing it. It never has the mournful haunting vibe like the album, they seem to play it with more major chords and uptempo. So happy he has brought that song back to his live show.
When I Paint My Masterpiece has been a great addition to his setlist during this current tour. Alike what I've heard on recordings of this tour already, he always seems to sing the first line of the song before the band seem to be ready.
Pay In Blood has undergone a very interesting evolution. It now has this rising melody that sorta like goes up a scale. It makes the song less feisty than what you'd expect from the lyrics; but nonetheless it was great.
Tangled Up In Blue has had a new arrangement since the first leg of the 2018 tour. Although the songs structure and form remains in place, to the untrained ear it would sound unrecognizable. I thought it was amazing; i sensed alot of similarities between it and the 'original' bob recording of it from the new york sessions.
Don't think twice has evolved into a mournful almost solo piano performance. At one point Bob was playing piano with one hand and playing harmonica with the other. I haven't listened too closely to the previous recordings, but I sensed at the end after all the verses Bob impromptuly decided to pick up speed and bring the band in to finish it. Tony's stand up bass sounded terrific in it.
There was a bit of kafuffle at the end of Gotta Serve Somebody. Tony huddles in closer to Charlie and Bob to signal the end of the song, but charlie and bob seemed to keep going for a few more bars. It was abit of a messy ending but it just made the band laugh.
Off to the next joint.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 14:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
Lyndon Terracini:

Bob Dylan (Yes Bob Dylan!) came to Opera Australia’s Rigoletto last night and really enjoyed the show. After the performance he was very keen to understand the technique of operatic singing. He told me that he would sing for the cast of Rigoletto at his show tonight!
7:26 PM · Aug 17, 2018

Thanks for that tidbit, Donahue & Dogg...nice to know.

As far as the Sydney show reviews, very cool.
As Hope pointed out, it really does just keep getting better & better as each Leg shakes out.
Sounds like they have found their groove & are steaming along.
It’s gotta be one of my favorite armchair tours yet.

Here’s to hoping he keeps Serve in the Fall shows...will hafta try & nail one or 2!

Thanks to all the concert goers for the excellent insights!

dylanguy wrote:
The show didn't start till about 8:10. I suspect this was because of major train problems and delays that were occurring tonight- but I could be wrong about that. They were still soundchecking Charlie's guitar at 7:58. So then Stu comes on stage and does his doodling around on the guitar- it was a different tune than what he has typically been playing for the past few years.
The setlist was the same as previous nights. Because the show started late I thought that maybe they might not play Ballad of a thin man like they did in one of the earlier Asia shows, but they played it in its usual spot. There seemed to be some problems going on with Stu's electric guitar for the first few songs- there was a lot of turning nobs on amps and someone ended up bringing him a new guitar.
I was surprised by how much Bob walks around after each song. After every song he would turn and talk/laugh around with Donnie behind him and would sometimes go over and have a chat with George on drums. Also after every song he would go and fiddle with something behind him. I think maybe he was powdering his fingers or something, and there were afew times I think I saw him have a drink. Or maybe he was just picking out a harmonica.
I think Things Have Changed is underappreciated. I think because he always opens with it that you sort of dismiss it, but it's such a great song and for him to have it in the set is a treat. It's arrangement has constantly evolved through the years of the 'static set'; it's less rumbly than before, its also less bluesly then before.
It has always fascinated me how he plays Tryin To Get To Heaven in his live shows every since he started performing it. It never has the mournful haunting vibe like the album, they seem to play it with more major chords and uptempo. So happy he has brought that song back to his live show.
When I Paint My Masterpiece has been a great addition to his setlist during this current tour. Alike what I've heard on recordings of this tour already, he always seems to sing the first line of the song before the band seem to be ready.
Pay In Blood has undergone a very interesting evolution. It now has this rising melody that sorta like goes up a scale. It makes the song less feisty than what you'd expect from the lyrics; but nonetheless it was great.
Tangled Up In Blue has had a new arrangement since the first leg of the 2018 tour. Although the songs structure and form remains in place, to the untrained ear it would sound unrecognizable. I thought it was amazing; i sensed alot of similarities between it and the 'original' bob recording of it from the new york sessions.
Don't think twice has evolved into a mournful almost solo piano performance. At one point Bob was playing piano with one hand and playing harmonica with the other. I haven't listened too closely to the previous recordings, but I sensed at the end after all the verses Bob impromptuly decided to pick up speed and bring the band in to finish it. Tony's stand up bass sounded terrific in it.
There was a bit of kafuffle at the end of Gotta Serve Somebody. Tony huddles in closer to Charlie and Bob to signal the end of the song, but charlie and bob seemed to keep going for a few more bars. It was abit of a messy ending but it just made the band laugh.
Off to the next joint.

DylanGuy: nice journal entry!!!