Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 19th, 2019, 10:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2019, 07:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Co-headlining with Neil Young

14 July 2019 - Sunday
Kilkenny, Ireland
Nowlan Park

Showtime: 8:45 pm
Capacity: 27,800

This is the 38th show of the 2019 Never Ending Tour

Previous 2019 shows:
24 Europe Spring

13 Europe Summer

---

SUMMER GIG: Bob Dylan and Neil Young
to play at Nowlan Park, Kilkenny in July

Hailed as the best line up in Irish music history,
the two music icons play Nowlan Park this year, in their only Irish date

by Ken Sweeney

Promoters say they expect fans to travel from around the world to see a double header from Bob Dylan and Neil Young in Kilkenny this summer.

Hailed as the best line up in Irish music history, the two music icons play Nowlan Park in Kilkenny on July 14 this year, in their only Irish date.

Peter Aiken said: "I suggested would they'd like to come to Ireland, to come to Kilkenny. We’d been talking about it for six months.” And he reckons punters will travel from all over the world to the gig, adding: "They'll come from everywhere for this." Asked if Bob and Neil got on, Peter Aiken said: "I’m sure they have a lot of time for each other, a lot of respect for each other.”

The pair last performed together 1994 and the Kilkenny gig is just one of two concerts they are headlining this year.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/musi ... enny-july/

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 08:07 GMT 

Take Note!
Doors: 4pm
Support act: 5pm
Neil Young: 6.15pm
Bob Dylan: 9pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last time Dylan performed on the Emerald Isle was 26 months ago; and this Kilkenny concert will be only his 2nd Irish show in more than 5 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Having attended every Irish Dylan concert since Vicar Street 2000, and after attending the three Prague shows in April, I am looking forward very much to experiencing one particular song in Kilkenny, which Bob has not performed in Ireland since the double bill with Mark Knopfler in 2011: "Like A Rolling Stone".

I would say that anyone's appreciation of Bob Dylan in concert is incomplete until he or she has witnesses the reaction of an Irish audience to Bob Dylan singing "Like A Rolling Stone". I wonder how a stadium full of the Irish will respond to the new arrangement of this classic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course I am also looking forward particularly to the first ever "When I Paint My Masterpiece" on Irish soil, and the first Irish "Gotta Serve Somebody" of this century. Also hoping to see some surprises in the slots 5+14.

Last edited by notdarkyet on Fri July 5th, 2019, 09:11 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 08:58 GMT 

Just over a week to go! The excitement is beginning to set in.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 09:32 GMT 

I'm even looking forward to the support acts. Nice to see Bob fostering young up-and-comers.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 16:19 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:

Having attended every Irish Dylan concert since Vicar Street 2000, and after attending the three Prague shows in April, I am looking forward very much to experiencing one particular song in Kilkenny, which Bob has not performed in Ireland since the double bill with Mark Knopfler in 2011: "Like A Rolling Stone".

Thank you for this information Mr. Not Dark. Not so sure if I am looking forward though to all the eejits 'blasting' out Like a Rolling Stone. But I'll put my best foot forward and try to be optimistic about this situation.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 19:39 GMT 

Anyone know if the pitch is divided in any way? Saw Springsteen here a few years ago (fantastic show) and was in front section with aid of a bracelet purloined by a friend.

PostPosted: Fri July 5th, 2019, 20:50 GMT 

Raindog86 says Bob on at 8.45 according to promoters page on Facebook.

Don't think there will be a pit like for Springsteen.

Am hearing there will be screens for venue but that of course may just be for Neil. Unclear if Bob will be sanctioning. Hopefully so, any stadium gig should have them, particularly when stage setup is length ways unlike when he played in this venue previously in 01 and 06 so the majority of people will be further back.

PostPosted: Sat July 6th, 2019, 07:47 GMT 

I don't have much experience with this type of gig - how early should I arrive to secure a good spot?

PostPosted: Sun July 7th, 2019, 02:27 GMT 

Seems Irish Rail will be putting on a Dylan train after all.

http://www.irishrail.ie/rail-fares-and- ... and-events

Though this lists a late Kilkenny train at 23.30 to Waterford only that night. I have no idea why Dublin not being catered for. Some say if the demand isn't there then no train. But there has to be demand for travel back to Dublin. To be honest am not impressed with this shit. Putting a concert in a location with Fark all public transport is ridiculous. Would have thought Neil Young wouldn't be pleased. With his environmental credentials!

Maybe Irish rail will put a train to Dublin yet. But talking about a slow train.... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2019, 07:50 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Seems Irish Rail will be putting on a Dylan train after all.

http://www.irishrail.ie/rail-fares-and- ... and-events

Though this lists a late Kilkenny train at 23.30 to Waterford only that night. I have no idea why Dublin not being catered for. Some say if the demand isn't there then no train. But there has to be demand for travel back to Dublin. To be honest am not impressed with this shit. Putting a concert in a location with Fark all public transport is ridiculous. Would have thought Neil Young wouldn't be pleased. With his environmental credentials!

Maybe Irish rail will put a train to Dublin yet. But talking about a slow train.... :roll:

i'm also surprised and kind of pissed that there will be no train service back to dublin. poorly organised. and it seems like i have to get the last train at 21.40 from kilkenny to dublin. that means i'm going to miss half of dylans set. if i had known earlier i would have kept my hyde park ticket. but i've never been to ireland and i'm not a big fan of london...

if there are enough people you can organise a coach or a carpool. maybe the only possibility because staying in kilkenny is impossible. every room is booked.

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2019, 08:56 GMT 

Seems there will be some bus seats for Dublin afterall.

http://quinns-coach-trips.mybigcommerce ... oung-2019/

There are more buses being laid on for places like Cork and Tipperary, more than for Dublin. Weird. You can easily get accomodation in those towns I think.

https://travelmaster.ie/product/bus-to- ... wlan-park/

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2019, 11:52 GMT 

this travelmaster link looks pretty tempting to me; never heard of that company before; thanks for sharing

I could actually leave the car at home, and not pay for 380km petrol, plus tolls and parking, and instead have a high-quality coach pick me up in Bandon, and take me back home after the concert; I might go for that

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2019, 18:39 GMT 

Anyone know how well or otherwise the gig has sold. Could be well off here but instinct telling me it will be far from full which surprises me if so but can't underestimate the Sunday thing. Put a lot of folks I know off travelling.

PostPosted: Mon July 8th, 2019, 19:59 GMT 

Don’t have a clue how it has sold but It is being plugged a lot on the radio, more than normal. I think you are right about it being on a Sunday, plus the poor organization regarding transport/no hotels available from very early on, even before it was officially announced I think. It was drummed up to sell out in a matter of minutes which put the pressure on to get tickets quick but there must be a whole lot left.

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 02:42 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:

I could actually leave the car at home, and not pay for 380km petrol, plus tolls and parking, and instead have a high-quality coach pick me up in Bandon, and take me back home after the concert; I might go for that

Good plan, NotDarkYet from Bandon!

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 02:46 GMT 

Philly joe Remarkable wrote:
Don’t have a clue how it has sold but It is being plugged a lot on the radio, more than normal. I think you are right about it being on a Sunday, plus the poor organization regarding transport/no hotels available from very early on, even before it was officially announced I think. It was drummed up to sell out in a matter of minutes which put the pressure on to get tickets quick but there must be a whole lot left.

What will be the effect of not sold out? Lacklustre performances? Dull crowd? Easier to get to the front, more space, easier to see? What do ya all think?

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 08:45 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:

Good plan, NotDarkYet from Bandon!

yes, I booked my ticked last night; will stroll down the hill for 1km at noon on Sunday, and catch that high-quality coach to Kilkenny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

regarding your "effect of not sold out" question above, I definitely would go with "Easier to get to the front, more space, easier to see"; especially as this will the first time for me since Lörrach 2015 that I do not have to sit down while enjoying a Bob Dylan concert

Last edited by notdarkyet on Tue July 9th, 2019, 08:52 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 08:51 GMT 

All the need-to-know for Sunday's gig: https://www.buzz.ie/news/important-info ... gig-331829

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 11:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
All the need-to-know for Sunday's gig: https://www.buzz.ie/news/important-info ... gig-331829

Thanks Tim....

Quote:
If you're heading along to the gig, here's all the important information to take note of:

RUNNING TIMES:

Doors open – 4pm
Glen Hansard – 5pm
Neil Young + Promise of the Real – 6pm
Bob Dylan and his Band – 8.45pm

* Please note all times are subject to change*

TICKETS:
· Ticketmaster is the official ticket seller for this event. Limited tickets are available via Ticketmaster Outlets Nationwide and http://www.ticketmaster.ie. Credit Card Bookings 0818 719 300 (ROI) / 0844 277 4455 (NI) / 00 353 1 456 9569 (INTL).

· Please beware of bogus ticket sellers & tour operators. Do not buy tickets from unofficial sources (including websites).

FURTHER INFORMATION:
· Under 16s must be accompanied by a person 18+

· Please remember to keep your ticket(s) safe and check your ticket for the approach route before leaving home.

· Two of the greatest musicians of all time, BOB DYLAN and NEIL YOUNG will take to the stage at Nowlan Park this Sunday. To maximise enjoyment for all fans, we please ask patrons to soak up the incredible atmosphere and enjoy the show through your eyes, the best lens of all and not through your phone.

· Early queuing will not be permitted around Nowlan Park.
This is a residential area and we please ask ticket holders to respect the local community whilst travelling to and from the venue.

· This is an outdoor event, please keep an eye on the weather forecast prior to the show day and dress accordingly. Please note that the evenings can get cooler, so please dress with this in mind.

· Prohibited articles and items are as follows: any article that may be used as a weapon, Professional cameras and recording devices (this applies to cameras that have detachable lenses) Bottles glass vessels, cans, flasks, frisbees, and similar items, dangerous or hazardous, illegal substances, scooters, skateboards, or other skates. Flag poles, umbrellas, selfie sticks and flares. Laser devices, prams/push chairs, inflatable and folding chairs, large suitcases/rucksacks, laptops, illegal merchandise items, hampers, and cold boxes, air horns, alcohol, drinks, food and animals (except service dogs and guide dogs).

GETTING TO THE VENUE:
· Please allow plenty of time to travel to the venue. We strongly advise the use of public transport. To plan your journey online to Nowlan Park, please visit http://www.transportforireland.ie, http://www.buseireann.ie and http://www.irishrail.ie.

· There will be no parking available on the streets surrounding the immediate vicinity of the stadium.
Local car parks include:

St James’ Park, Freshford Road
Orchard Bar Car Park, Johnswell Rd
St Canice’s Hospital, Old Carlow Rd, Kilkenny
Mac Donagh Junction
Market Cross Shopping Centre.
24hour City Centre car parks include:
Market Yard
Cathedral Square
St Canices
Fair Green
Wolfe Tone Street
Watergate,
Library,
Dean Street.

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 11:45 GMT 

Met Éireann, Ireland’s National Meteorological Service, has at present this forecast for Sunday:

"Sunday will continue dry with good sunny spells. It will be a bit warmer with highest temperatures of 20 to 24 degrees."

dry, sunny, and not too hot; my favorite outdoor concert weather

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 13:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

So how are we handling the no queuing diktat? I imagine there will still be a queue?

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 13:30 GMT 

I have come to terms with not getting close to the front this time as I’m going with a few casual listeners, plus it will be a long time standing in the one spot. I’m really hoping the sound is good, has anyone been to Nowlan Park for a gig before? And does anyone have any info about if screens will be put up?

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 15:45 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
So how are we handling the no queuing diktat? I imagine there will still be a queue?

I have only been to see Dylan 3 times. One show had 20,000 attending. I went earlyish to each, about 1 hour before the start, hung around outside, but have never seen a Queue form. Plenty of entrances I suppose and people going in at different times. People always seem to be relaxed about when they go in. So, I don't think you need to worry.

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 15:47 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
Met Éireann, Ireland’s National Meteorological Service, has at present this forecast for Sunday:

"Sunday will continue dry with good sunny spells. It will be a bit warmer with highest temperatures of 20 to 24 degrees."

dry, sunny, and not too hot; my favorite outdoor concert weather

:D :D :D

Yeahhh! I hope the forecast holds

PostPosted: Tue July 9th, 2019, 15:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:

I have only been to see Dylan 3 times. One show had 20,000 attending. I went earlyish to each, about 1 hour before the start, hung around outside, but have never seen a Queue form. Plenty of entrances I suppose and people going in at different times. People always seem to be relaxed about when they go in. So, I don't think you need to worry.

The queuing is the fun part! The thing I've missed most about the seated shows is the lack of a good day-long queue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next