Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 23rd, 2018, 00:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 02:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
U2 tried to stick their new album into my Dylan collection and I had to go through hell to remove it.

how did you do it? I gave up trying.

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 09:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

For Mr Stetson: please let us know if this still works...

Removing U2 album from iTunes 20140916
Apple has now launched a tool to help disgruntled customers easily remove the album from their iTunes library. To remove the album, users need to:
• Go to http://itunes.com/soi-remove
• Click Remove Album to confirm you'd like to remove the album from your account
• Sign in with the Apple ID and password you use to buy from the iTunes Store
• You'll see a confirmation message that the album has been removed from your account
Apple warned that, once the album has been removed from a user's account, it will no longer be available for them to redownload as a previous purchase.
If they later decide they want the album, they will need to get it again. The album is free to everyone until 13 October 2014, and will be available for purchase after that date.
"Some customers asked for the ability to delete ‘Songs of Innocence’ from their library, so we set up itunes.com/soi-remove to let them easily do so," said an Apple spokesperson. "Any customer that needs additional help should contact AppleCare."

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 20:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Beets14beets wrote:
I made a post about this in the mirrors thread but I figured the topic in general deserved a thread of its own. Of course, Bob's mixed relationship with his audience can be traced all the way back, and in recent times his playing keyboards off to the side of the stage is an obvious example of his ruining his audience's view (although that could have a purely artistic or performance-related basis). Further back, there was the "hoodie" of the early NET. But I'm referring to the rather dramatic measures he's taken over the last two years or so, including:

--playing shows completely unlit, without a single stage light aimed toward him (even while the band is lit normally)
--cluttering the front of the stage with mirrors, busts, unused instruments and equipment, etc.
--shining bright lights directly into the faces of the audience mid-performance
--erecting a wall of microphones center-stage

In addition, he's had people come out at the beginning of the show and make a weirdly psychological attempt at convincing the audience to not take photos or video--appealing to their sense of "experience" and ruining the authenticity of experience by using your cell phone (as if using a phone or camera for a few minutes out of a Bob Dylan show was robbing yourself of something important).

On the face of it, he obviously doesn't fancy having his picture taken. Or is there a playful element here? Perhaps a legacy-building/twisting element? I've seen Bob almost "pose" for people taking pics near the front row. Obviously, he hasn't exactly been camera-shy throughout his career. Is it really that big a deal to him now, or is he kinda screwing with us? Is he just having fun playing the eccentric?

Also, are there any other examples of this type of thing from recent years?

Ya, this recent piano angle thing is funny too.
He’s basically barricading the front section.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 10:17 GMT 

Accidental angle or on purpose to ruin the show , frustration of some sort ?not sure honestly but I will never touch a front seat again now that I know more. Not that I have ever before. Too much hurt on my precious savings I see.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 17:43 GMT 

What change in piano angle has there been and who is affected? Surely not everyone in the 1st row?

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 18:18 GMT 

I've been fortunate enough to have front row, or nearly, for three shows within the last year or so. Never experienced any frustration in getting a bead on the boy himself.

Bethlehem, PA, the venue was smaller and the stage (I think) lower than most. Louisville, front row center, obviously no probs when he was at the center mics. We may have had to stand some to get a good view when he was seated at the piano, but that was a great show and lots of people down front were on their feet because of the energy. The Tower/Philly, again no probs seeing him at the piano, though less of him when he was seated. Had to lean over a little to see him at center mics. And I can only assume Charlie was there cos the piano totally obscured him. I think there are certain sweet spots in terms of the angle of the piano, but not sure how to "plan" for it in terms of any given show.

As a result, for my money (literally), I will still continue to "budget" (HA!) for front row (or nearly) seats when I'm able to because the experience is like no other. That said, I'd be thrilled to listen from the alley outside if that was as close as I could get.

I can't help it if I'm lucky.

PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 23:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Up front is always worth it. Even if a bit obscured due to neck craning.
Rows 4-12 somewhere near the center are the current sweet spot over the past many years...for just about any artist.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 05:17 GMT 

I saw him for a total of 12 minutes at the Boston show. Front row center. Bullshit

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 05:22 GMT 

mlpalintologist wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to have front row, or nearly, for three shows within the last year or so. Never experienced any frustration in getting a bead on the boy himself.

Bethlehem, PA, the venue was smaller and the stage (I think) lower than most. Louisville, front row center, obviously no probs when he was at the center mics. We may have had to stand some to get a good view when he was seated at the piano, but that was a great show and lots of people down front were on their feet because of the energy. The Tower/Philly, again no probs seeing him at the piano, though less of him when he was seated. Had to lean over a little to see him at center mics. And I can only assume Charlie was there cos the piano totally obscured him. I think there are certain sweet spots in terms of the angle of the piano, but not sure how to "plan" for it in terms of any given show.

As a result, for my money (literally), I will still continue to "budget" (HA!) for front row (or nearly) seats when I'm able to because the experience is like no other. That said, I'd be thrilled to listen from the alley outside if that was as close as I could get.

I can't help it if I'm lucky.

If you couldn’t see Charlie then you weren’t center. You were in the center section towards the right. I had dead center at two venues. One a high stage where I only saw Bob for about 12 minutes and one a low stage where I couldn’t see him seated at all... same with the ppl behind me and to my left. I could always see Charlie. Ppl to my right further down towards the beginning of the center section had a better chance to see bob seated.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 15:42 GMT 

I have a theory that Bob does a lot of the things he does for his own amusement and to see if anyone around him will call him out on it, like in that Cold Irons Bound video where his cowboy hat is on backwards.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 16:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
I have a theory that Bob does a lot of the things he does for his own amusement and to see if anyone around him will call him out on it, like in that Cold Irons Bound video where his cowboy hat is on backwards.

I like this theory.
Sounds plausible.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 16:46 GMT 
Senior Moderator

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

I don't think it's on backwards, the camera angle makes it look like it is.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 18:12 GMT 

Attachment:
invisable man.jpg

Here's an early pic of Bob's look for the 2018 gigs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 20:36 GMT 

When did the piano angle change- Was it after the Euro leg?

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 22:02 GMT 

I'm not an expert on the stage setting, but my impression is that things are "worse" during the US tours dates in comparison to the European ones. And it ain't just the angle at which the piano is placed.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 

What else could be causing the visual impairment?

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 22:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:
What else could be causing the visual impairment?

Excessive indulgence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5