Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu September 20th, 2018, 02:18 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue July 10th, 2018, 20:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 11th, 2013, 13:02 GMT
Posts: 269
Location: The Land Of Nod
Hi friends, I have some questions to ask you.

It's been about 5 years now, since Dylan introduced the SET.

What do you think about this? What are the most important elements for you, between the period before and after its introduction, regarding the concerts? Which are the elements of continuity and which of breakage? Positive and negative.
I'd like to hear your opinions. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 10th, 2018, 20:57 GMT 

Joined: Wed April 13th, 2005, 14:09 GMT
Posts: 4058
Location: the mountains I got lost in
I don't think his choices of songs to sings or not sing has much bearing on the quality of his performance or the value of the shows. He has performed static or nearly static setlists for the majority of his performing career. I miss the 90s and early 2000s for the excitement of not knowing exactly what comes next. I think the quality of his performances in the past 5 years are generally higher than the 5 years proceeding.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 10th, 2018, 21:25 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 6798
Location: in the mystic garden
Fall 2013 to Summer 2015 is terrific and I listen to a lot of those shows frequently. 2014 is nearly perfect from start to finish. After that I'm not very familiar as the Sinatra stuff really took over the setlists and drove me away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 10th, 2018, 21:52 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 27th, 2015, 14:26 GMT
Posts: 455
There were 3 Sets so far:


THE SET - A VERSION (5 April 2013 - 4 August 2013) - 22 songs:

1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Love Sick"
3 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)
4 - "Soon After Midnight"
5 - "Early Roman Kings"
6 - "Tangled Up In Blue"
7 - "Pay In Blood" / "Duquesne Whistle"
8 - "Visions Of Johanna" / "She Belongs To Me"
9 - "Spirit On The Water"
10 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" / "Desolation Row"
11 - "Blind Willie McTell"
12 - "What Good Am I?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
13 - "Summer Days" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
14 - "Scarlet Town"


Encore

15 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man" / "All Along The Watchtower"

____________________________________________________________

THE SET - B VERSION (10 October 2013 - 17 July 2016) - 31 Songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "She Belongs To Me"
3 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"
4 - "What Good Am I?" / "Workingman's Blues #2" / "What I'll Do?" / "The Night We Called It A Day"
5 - "Duquesne Whistle"
6 - "Waiting For You" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Pay In Blood"
8 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "I'm A Fool To Want You" / "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "That Old Black Magic"
9 - "Love Sick"


Intermission


10 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)"
11 - "Simple Twist Of Fate" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Forgetful Heart" / "I Could Have Told You"
14 - "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "Scarlet Town"
16 - "Soon After Midnight" / "All Or Nothing At All"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore

19 - "All Along The Watchtower" / "Stay With Me"
20 - "Blowin' In The Wind"


____________________________________________________________

THE SET - C VERSION (7 October 2016 - ?????) - 35 songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" / "It Ain't Me, Babe"
3 - "Highway 61 Revisited"
4 - "It's All Over Now, Babe Blue" / "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
5 - "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "Summer Days"
6 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)" / "Make You Feel My Love" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Duquesne Whistle" / "Honest With Me"
8 - "Love Sick" / "Tryin' To Get To Heaven"
9 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "Stormy Weather" / "Come Rain Or Come Shine"
10 - "Lonesome Day Blues" / "Pay In Blood" / "I Could Have Told You"
11 - "Once Upon A Time"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Desolation Row"
14 - "Soon After Midnight" / "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "All Or Nothing At All"
16 - "That Old Black Magic" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore


19 - "Blowin' In The Wind"
20 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man"


____________________________________________________________


01 - Things Have Changed - A / B / C
02 - Love Sick - A / B / C
03 - High Water (For Charley Patton) - A / B / C
04 - Soon After Midnight - A / B / C
05 - Early Roman Kings - A / B / C
06 - Tangled Up In Blue - A / B / C
07 - Pay In Blood - A / B / C
08 - Duquesne Whistle - A / B / C
09 - Spirit On The Water - A / B / C
10 - Beyond Here Lies Nothin' - A / B / C
11 - Simple Twist Of Fate - A / B / C
12 - She Belongs To Me - A / B
13 - Desolation Row - A / C
14 - What Good Am I? - A / B
15 - Summer Days - A / C
16 - Thunder On The Mountain - A / C
17 - Scarlet Town - A / B
18 - Ballad Of A Thin Man - A / C
19 - All Along The Watchtower - A / B
20 - Melancholy Mood - B / C
21 - Full Moon And Empty Arms - B / C
22 - Why Try To Change Me Now? - B / C
23 - I Could Have Told You - B / C
24 - All Or Nothing At All - B / C
25 - Long And Wasted Years - B / C
26 - Autumn Leaves - B / C
27 - Blowin' In The Wind - B / C
28 - Visions Of Johanna - A
29 - A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall - A
30 - Blind Willie McTell - A
31 - Workingman's Blues #2 - B
32 - What I'll Do? - B
33 - The Night We Called It A Day - B
34 - Waiting For You - B
35 - I'm A Fool To Want You - B
36 - That Old Black Magic - B
37 - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - C
38 - It Ain't Me Babe - C
39 - Highway 61 Revisited - C
40 - It's All Over Now Babe Blue - C
41 - Make You Feel My Love - C
42 - Honest With Me - C
43 - Tryin' To Get To Heaven - C
44 - Stormy Weather - C
45 - Come Rain Or Come Shine - C
46 - Lonesome Day Blues - C
47 - Once Upon A Time - C

47 songs in constant rotation since 2013!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 10th, 2018, 23:56 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22636
Intermissions.
Bring them back please.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 11th, 2018, 10:39 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 11th, 2013, 13:02 GMT
Posts: 269
Location: The Land Of Nod
jman wrote:
I don't think his choices of songs to sings or not sing has much bearing on the quality of his performance or the value of the shows. He has performed static or nearly static setlists for the majority of his performing career. I miss the 90s and early 2000s for the excitement of not knowing exactly what comes next. I think the quality of his performances in the past 5 years are generally higher than the 5 years proceeding.



Right analysis. I agree. The surprise effect we were used to was certainly hard to accept when it failed, but certainly not to the detriment of quality. Playing a more limited repertoire, they focused on the perfection of performances, not forgetting anyway space for small improvisations or surprises from time to time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 11th, 2018, 10:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 11th, 2013, 13:02 GMT
Posts: 269
Location: The Land Of Nod
Nightingale's Code wrote:
Fall 2013 to Summer 2015 is terrific and I listen to a lot of those shows frequently. 2014 is nearly perfect from start to finish. After that I'm not very familiar as the Sinatra stuff really took over the setlists and drove me away.



The definitive turning point was marked with the introduction of the Sinatra pieces in the lineup. Especially in the Europe Fall Tour 2015 where they went to occupy half the lineup. Now it seems that the hangover for Sinitra is still underway, and in the last concerts has only exhibited at most 3 songs. Who knows if now in Asia they will disappear permanently.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 11th, 2018, 11:45 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22636
Matt_77 wrote:
There were 3 Sets so far:


THE SET - A VERSION (5 April 2013 - 4 August 2013) - 22 songs:

1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Love Sick"
3 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)
4 - "Soon After Midnight"
5 - "Early Roman Kings"
6 - "Tangled Up In Blue"
7 - "Pay In Blood" / "Duquesne Whistle"
8 - "Visions Of Johanna" / "She Belongs To Me"
9 - "Spirit On The Water"
10 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" / "Desolation Row"
11 - "Blind Willie McTell"
12 - "What Good Am I?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
13 - "Summer Days" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
14 - "Scarlet Town"


Encore

15 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man" / "All Along The Watchtower"

____________________________________________________________

THE SET - B VERSION (10 October 2013 - 17 July 2016) - 31 Songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "She Belongs To Me"
3 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"
4 - "What Good Am I?" / "Workingman's Blues #2" / "What I'll Do?" / "The Night We Called It A Day"
5 - "Duquesne Whistle"
6 - "Waiting For You" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Pay In Blood"
8 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "I'm A Fool To Want You" / "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "That Old Black Magic"
9 - "Love Sick"


Intermission


10 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)"
11 - "Simple Twist Of Fate" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Forgetful Heart" / "I Could Have Told You"
14 - "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "Scarlet Town"
16 - "Soon After Midnight" / "All Or Nothing At All"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore

19 - "All Along The Watchtower" / "Stay With Me"
20 - "Blowin' In The Wind"


____________________________________________________________

THE SET - C VERSION (7 October 2016 - ?????) - 35 songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" / "It Ain't Me, Babe"
3 - "Highway 61 Revisited"
4 - "It's All Over Now, Babe Blue" / "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
5 - "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "Summer Days"
6 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)" / "Make You Feel My Love" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Duquesne Whistle" / "Honest With Me"
8 - "Love Sick" / "Tryin' To Get To Heaven"
9 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "Stormy Weather" / "Come Rain Or Come Shine"
10 - "Lonesome Day Blues" / "Pay In Blood" / "I Could Have Told You"
11 - "Once Upon A Time"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Desolation Row"
14 - "Soon After Midnight" / "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "All Or Nothing At All"
16 - "That Old Black Magic" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore


19 - "Blowin' In The Wind"
20 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man"


____________________________________________________________


01 - Things Have Changed - A / B / C
02 - Love Sick - A / B / C
03 - High Water (For Charley Patton) - A / B / C
04 - Soon After Midnight - A / B / C
05 - Early Roman Kings - A / B / C
06 - Tangled Up In Blue - A / B / C
07 - Pay In Blood - A / B / C
08 - Duquesne Whistle - A / B / C
09 - Spirit On The Water - A / B / C
10 - Beyond Here Lies Nothin' - A / B / C
11 - Simple Twist Of Fate - A / B / C
12 - She Belongs To Me - A / B
13 - Desolation Row - A / C
14 - What Good Am I? - A / B
15 - Summer Days - A / C
16 - Thunder On The Mountain - A / C
17 - Scarlet Town - A / B
18 - Ballad Of A Thin Man - A / C
19 - All Along The Watchtower - A / B
20 - Melancholy Mood - B / C
21 - Full Moon And Empty Arms - B / C
22 - Why Try To Change Me Now? - B / C
23 - I Could Have Told You - B / C
24 - All Or Nothing At All - B / C
25 - Long And Wasted Years - B / C
26 - Autumn Leaves - B / C
27 - Blowin' In The Wind - B / C
28 - Visions Of Johanna - A
29 - A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall - A
30 - Blind Willie McTell - A
31 - Workingman's Blues #2 - B
32 - What I'll Do? - B
33 - The Night We Called It A Day - B
34 - Waiting For You - B
35 - I'm A Fool To Want You - B
36 - That Old Black Magic - B
37 - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - C
38 - It Ain't Me Babe - C
39 - Highway 61 Revisited - C
40 - It's All Over Now Babe Blue - C
41 - Make You Feel My Love - C
42 - Honest With Me - C
43 - Tryin' To Get To Heaven - C
44 - Stormy Weather - C
45 - Come Rain Or Come Shine - C
46 - Lonesome Day Blues - C
47 - Once Upon A Time - C

47 songs in constant rotation since 2013!!!


This is an EXCELLENT summarization Matt.
Thanks for putting in the effort & research to put it together.
I may place it in another related thread as well,
so we don’t lose it over time.
Well done. Cheers!

Edit: I placed a copy in Tompius’ Set List analysis thread:
Set List Variation - An Objective Measure


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 13th, 2018, 13:00 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 3143
Matt_77 wrote:
There were 3 Sets so far:


THE SET - A VERSION (5 April 2013 - 4 August 2013) - 22 songs:

1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Love Sick"
3 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)
4 - "Soon After Midnight"
5 - "Early Roman Kings"
6 - "Tangled Up In Blue"
7 - "Pay In Blood" / "Duquesne Whistle"
8 - "Visions Of Johanna" / "She Belongs To Me"
9 - "Spirit On The Water"
10 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" / "Desolation Row"
11 - "Blind Willie McTell"
12 - "What Good Am I?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
13 - "Summer Days" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
14 - "Scarlet Town"


Encore

15 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man" / "All Along The Watchtower"

____________________________________________________________

THE SET - B VERSION (10 October 2013 - 17 July 2016) - 31 Songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "She Belongs To Me"
3 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"
4 - "What Good Am I?" / "Workingman's Blues #2" / "What I'll Do?" / "The Night We Called It A Day"
5 - "Duquesne Whistle"
6 - "Waiting For You" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Pay In Blood"
8 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "I'm A Fool To Want You" / "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "That Old Black Magic"
9 - "Love Sick"


Intermission


10 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)"
11 - "Simple Twist Of Fate" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Forgetful Heart" / "I Could Have Told You"
14 - "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "Scarlet Town"
16 - "Soon After Midnight" / "All Or Nothing At All"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore

19 - "All Along The Watchtower" / "Stay With Me"
20 - "Blowin' In The Wind"


____________________________________________________________

THE SET - C VERSION (7 October 2016 - ?????) - 35 songs:


1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" / "It Ain't Me, Babe"
3 - "Highway 61 Revisited"
4 - "It's All Over Now, Babe Blue" / "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "Why Try To Change Me Now?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
5 - "Full Moon And Empty Arms" / "Summer Days"
6 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)" / "Make You Feel My Love" / "Melancholy Mood"
7 - "Duquesne Whistle" / "Honest With Me"
8 - "Love Sick" / "Tryin' To Get To Heaven"
9 - "Tangled Up In Blue" / "Stormy Weather" / "Come Rain Or Come Shine"
10 - "Lonesome Day Blues" / "Pay In Blood" / "I Could Have Told You"
11 - "Once Upon A Time"
12 - "Early Roman Kings"
13 - "Desolation Row"
14 - "Soon After Midnight" / "Spirit On The Water"
15 - "All Or Nothing At All"
16 - "That Old Black Magic" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
17 - "Long And Wasted Years"
18 - "Autumn Leaves"


Encore


19 - "Blowin' In The Wind"
20 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man"


____________________________________________________________


01 - Things Have Changed - A / B / C
02 - Love Sick - A / B / C
03 - High Water (For Charley Patton) - A / B / C
04 - Soon After Midnight - A / B / C
05 - Early Roman Kings - A / B / C
06 - Tangled Up In Blue - A / B / C
07 - Pay In Blood - A / B / C
08 - Duquesne Whistle - A / B / C
09 - Spirit On The Water - A / B / C
10 - Beyond Here Lies Nothin' - A / B / C
11 - Simple Twist Of Fate - A / B / C
12 - She Belongs To Me - A / B
13 - Desolation Row - A / C
14 - What Good Am I? - A / B
15 - Summer Days - A / C
16 - Thunder On The Mountain - A / C
17 - Scarlet Town - A / B
18 - Ballad Of A Thin Man - A / C
19 - All Along The Watchtower - A / B
20 - Melancholy Mood - B / C
21 - Full Moon And Empty Arms - B / C
22 - Why Try To Change Me Now? - B / C
23 - I Could Have Told You - B / C
24 - All Or Nothing At All - B / C
25 - Long And Wasted Years - B / C
26 - Autumn Leaves - B / C
27 - Blowin' In The Wind - B / C
28 - Visions Of Johanna - A
29 - A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall - A
30 - Blind Willie McTell - A
31 - Workingman's Blues #2 - B
32 - What I'll Do? - B
33 - The Night We Called It A Day - B
34 - Waiting For You - B
35 - I'm A Fool To Want You - B
36 - That Old Black Magic - B
37 - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - C
38 - It Ain't Me Babe - C
39 - Highway 61 Revisited - C
40 - It's All Over Now Babe Blue - C
41 - Make You Feel My Love - C
42 - Honest With Me - C
43 - Tryin' To Get To Heaven - C
44 - Stormy Weather - C
45 - Come Rain Or Come Shine - C
46 - Lonesome Day Blues - C
47 - Once Upon A Time - C

47 songs in constant rotation since 2013!!!


that's nothing – even the Rolling Stones played 45 different songs on their recently finished No FIlter tour (28 shows in 2017 and 2018)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 13th, 2018, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 8682
Location: Desolation Row
Only 8 songs from the classic set were played at the most recent show.



The 'classic' set.


1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. What Good Am I?
5. Pay In Blood
6. Waiting For You
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Tangled Up In Blue
9. High Water (For Charley Patton)
(Intermission)
10. Summer Days
11. Simple Twist Of Fate
12. Early Roman Kings
13. Forgetful Heart
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Long And Wasted Years

(encore)
18. All Along The Watchtower
19. Blowin' In The Wind



Verona, 27 April

1. Things Have Changed (Bob on Piano)
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on Piano)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on Piano)
4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on Piano)
5. Duquesne Whistle (Bob on Piano)
6. Melancholy Mood (Bob center stage)
7. Honest With Me (Bob on Piano)
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano)
9. Come Rain Or Come Shine (Bob center stage)
10. Pay In Blood (Bob on Piano)
11. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on Piano)
12. Early Roman Kings (Bob on Piano)
13. Desolation Row (Bob on Piano)
14. Love Sick (Bob on Piano)
15. Autumn Leaves (Bob center stage)
16. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on Piano)
17. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
18. Long and Wasted Years (Bob center stage)

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on Piano)
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on Piano)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2018, 21:52 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 27th, 2015, 14:26 GMT
Posts: 455
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

This is an EXCELLENT summarization Matt.
Thanks for putting in the effort & research to put it together.
I may place it in another related thread as well,
so we don’t lose it over time.
Well done. Cheers!

Edit: I placed a copy in Tompius’ Set List analysis thread:
Set List Variation - An Objective Measure


Hey!!!

Thank you very much, sir. I'm glad that you liked it. Feel free to use it and edit it if it's necesary.

gibsona07 wrote:
Only 8 songs from the classic set were played at the most recent show.



The 'classic' set.


1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. What Good Am I?
5. Pay In Blood
6. Waiting For You
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Tangled Up In Blue
9. High Water (For Charley Patton)
(Intermission)
10. Summer Days
11. Simple Twist Of Fate
12. Early Roman Kings
13. Forgetful Heart
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Long And Wasted Years

(encore)
18. All Along The Watchtower
19. Blowin' In The Wind



Verona, 27 April

1. Things Have Changed (Bob on Piano)
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on Piano)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on Piano)
4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on Piano)
5. Duquesne Whistle (Bob on Piano)
6. Melancholy Mood (Bob center stage)
7. Honest With Me (Bob on Piano)
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano)
9. Come Rain Or Come Shine (Bob center stage)
10. Pay In Blood (Bob on Piano)
11. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on Piano)
12. Early Roman Kings (Bob on Piano)
13. Desolation Row (Bob on Piano)
14. Love Sick (Bob on Piano)
15. Autumn Leaves (Bob center stage)
16. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on Piano)
17. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
18. Long and Wasted Years (Bob center stage)

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on Piano)
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on Piano)


Well, "Summer Days" was only played in Oslo/Stockholm in 2013 in SET B in that slot.

"Love Sick" is the correct choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2018, 22:32 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 6798
Location: in the mystic garden
1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. Workingman's Blues #2
5. Waiting For You
6. Duquesne Whistle
7. Pay In Blood
8. Tangled Up In Blue
9. Love Sick

10. High Water (For Charley Patton)
11. Simple Twist Of Fate
12. Early Roman Kings
13. Forgetful Heart
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Long And Wasted Years
---
18. Stay With Me


To me, this setlist that was used for part of the 2014 Fall Tour the apex of the Set. Only one song from the 60's, and only one Sinatra number, both perfect in their overall role in the setlist and in their execution. No bloated Blowin' In The Wind, or stale All Along The Watchtower muckin' things up in the encore. Plus, that glorious partially re-written Workingman's Blues was one of the highlights of this entire era. Spirit On The Water and Waiting For You got old over time, but in this setlist they were more than tolerable. This is the stint of the The Set that my mind immediately jumps to whenever "highlights of the set" or similar threads are started here. Can't go wrong with this lineup!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2018, 12:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 11th, 2013, 13:02 GMT
Posts: 269
Location: The Land Of Nod
Your analyzes are very interesting. Many curious things have come out!
Surely it is a conscious choice and decided to carry on for years the same songs, focusing on the latest albums (Tempest on all) in addition to the covers of Sinatra. Another question that arises spontaneously is who knows why to choose these songs instead of many others? Why today "Trying To Get To Heaven", or one "Honest with me"? Questions that we could never answer, but on which it is pleasant make philosophical speculations.
So,what do you think about these choices?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 01:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 7th, 2007, 19:16 GMT
Posts: 278
Location: Boston, MA
I’d like so see Man in the Long Black Coat and some other lesser known Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind tracks in this current format, with the American standards influence. Also songs like Sugar Baby and Po Boy would be right at home. Things Have Changed has become his Whiskey River, which is fine for me. It sets the vibe and lets the audience know right away that this is a performance not a pandering.

The Best is Yet to Come is so dynamite on Triplicate that it might be hard to hit it right every night, also it is well known by Sinatra, which he has seemed to avoid live even when they are included on record (thinking of Young at Heart and You Go To My Head).

I’d love to hear Braggin and Skylark as well.

In terms of doing more classics, I don’t really care. If I want to hear Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks I’ll put on the record. 80s deep cuts like In the Garden, Heart of Mine, Somethin is Burnin Baby or I’ll Remember You, would be much cooler to hear for me at this point. As would anything from Street Legal or Infidels.

I’m sure Bob will never tour an album the way so many bands have been doing. It’s beneath him. But I never thought he’d make his own bourbon either and I just finished my first bottle of it. And it was good. That being said Love and Theft plays well as a live concert. But would have to be a one night only in New Orleans.

A new album of Dylan penned or copenned songs would obviously be great to hear and would allow for some of the Tempest songs to get a break. I love Pay in Blood and Scarlet Town, but D Whistle and ERK could be swapped for Someday Baby, Narrow Way, Born in Time, Nettie Moore, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 02:47 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17465
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Nightingale's Code wrote:
1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. Workingman's Blues #2
5. Waiting For You
6. Duquesne Whistle
7. Pay In Blood
8. Tangled Up In Blue
9. Love Sick

10. High Water (For Charley Patton)
11. Simple Twist Of Fate
12. Early Roman Kings
13. Forgetful Heart
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. Soon After Midnight
17. Long And Wasted Years
---
18. Stay With Me


To me, this setlist that was used for part of the 2014 Fall Tour the apex of the Set. Only one song from the 60's, and only one Sinatra number, both perfect in their overall role in the setlist and in their execution. No bloated Blowin' In The Wind, or stale All Along The Watchtower muckin' things up in the encore. Plus, that glorious partially re-written Workingman's Blues was one of the highlights of this entire era. Spirit On The Water and Waiting For You got old over time, but in this setlist they were more than tolerable. This is the stint of the The Set that my mind immediately jumps to whenever "highlights of the set" or similar threads are started here. Can't go wrong with this lineup!



I think that's pretty close to the show I saw in Chicago that fall, it was definitely the Stay with Me encore, which was amazingly powerful. A tremendous show overall, and even in the cheap seats where I was the audience were rapt throughout.

Main flaw of The Set(s):
---No Tin Angel or Tempest (the song). Sugar Baby, Ain't Talkin and Nettie Moore routinely hypnotized audiences, and even Highlands got a few chances to do the same (which it certainly did). Does Dylan not believe in these songs?

I won't list lack of variety as a flaw, because it wouldn't be The Set otherwise...but needless to say the excitement of not knowing what will come next is missed, and makes spending the $$ for a ticket a bit less urgent. Our man had certainly hit a dead end by fall 2012, and found his way out of it. What more can you ask? It may not be necessary to hear 10 shows from a given year, but the individual concerts are very good indeed. A new (original) album in the mix is really what's needed to get things into the stratosphere again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 11:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 11th, 2013, 13:02 GMT
Posts: 269
Location: The Land Of Nod
I agree with what was said by Matt of Constant Sorrow and Smoke.
Today we can have the real breakthrough only with a new album. The sequel to Tempest, or the legacy of all that Dylan has learned from Sinatra. Maybe it will be an album in this line, maybe not. We just have to wait. The urgency of a new album getting stronger, not because these concerts no longer have suspense or surprise. the performances are perfect, and Dylan offers a unique show of its kind. Surely everyone wants things to change, but that depends only on him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2018, 13:43 GMT 

Joined: Thu May 26th, 2016, 13:51 GMT
Posts: 142
Location: Near some Japanese mountain range
Matt77, I agree, great work on this project. It feels like the SET has changed a lot since 2013 (to me at least), but the setlists tell a different story. They're very interesting to see. So I don't mean to undermine your work here, but I would like to point out a few inconsistencies with the setlists as you've listed them.

October 2013 to July 2016 is really where the setlists stayed the most consistent (with the addition of standards being added in and swapped out incrementally). This is the true SET in my opinion. Since Desert Trip, the SET has changed substantially each tour (especially between the Fall 2016 and Fall 2017 tours). For example, there were many different songs in the show I saw last fall compared to the show I saw on the Canadian summer tour just a couple months earlier.

Also, there was usually more variation within the general "versions" you listed. For example, many covers were played during the AmericanaramA tour in 2013, many different standards swapped in and out between 2015 and 2017, along with one-offs in every era. So the number of songs in each era was often more than the number you listed. There has also been a lot of order shuffling going on since Desert Trip brought an end to the classic SET, so it's impossible to make one list that accurately reflects the setlists throughout the whole period from Fall 2016 onward - although you made a very gallant effort!

These points aside, this is basically how I would break down the SET eras. Here are a few corrections to the A Version setlist, for posterity's sake:

THE SET - A VERSION (5 April 2013 - 4 August 2013) - 24 songs (not counting covers or songs only played once):

1 - "Things Have Changed"
2 - "Love Sick"
3 - "High Water (For Charley Patton)
4 - "Soon After Midnight"
5 - "Early Roman Kings"
6 - "Tangled Up In Blue"
7 - "Pay In Blood" / "Duquesne Whistle"
8 - "Visions Of Johanna" / "She Belongs To Me"
9 - "Spirit On The Water"
10 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" / "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" / "Desolation Row"
11 - "Blind Willie McTell"
12 - "What Good Am I?" / "Simple Twist Of Fate"
13 - "Summer Days" / "Thunder On The Mountain"
14 - "Scarlet Town" (dropped or replaced with covers on the summer tour)
15 - "All Along the Watchtower"

Encore

16 - "Ballad Of A Thin Man" / "Blowin' in the Wind" / "Shooting Star"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 15:29 GMT 

Joined: Wed October 26th, 2016, 22:06 GMT
Posts: 66
Location: Philly area
Thanks Matt for that analysis. I think it's missing "To Ramona" which has been performed as recently as last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2018, 14:31 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 3rd, 2006, 15:39 GMT
Posts: 400
Location: Up the ladder to the roof
I hate to be a wet blanket, but the set era is unequivocally a bummer. Yes, the performances are often quite good, but they were equally often good before IMO - and the thrill of never knowing what would comes next was not worth sacrificing for greater consistency.

I'll still go to one when he's near me, but the past few years have felt like the end of an era for me as a Dylan fan who used to drive around to multiple shows (and religiously follow the setlists here otherwise). I don't begrudge him anything - the set may well be a function of necessity given his age - I just wish it wasn't so.

I think there are many longtime fans like me who have at least partly checked out - they just mostly won't see this thread, because there's simply less reason than ever to check this particular board.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group