It is currently Mon November 12th, 2018, 23:15 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Geographic Encores
PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

CHARLOTTE , NC
next....

wibert harrison..." Let's Stick Together" or " Kansas City"\

other guesses?

the jam he did the other night before long wasted years...had elements of lets stick together...maybe that was start of his plan...just spitballin'

Post subject: Re: GEOGRAPHIC ENCORES
PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 16:09 GMT 

buddy says...
roscoe holcombe or bill monroe in richmond, KY

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 16:28 GMT 

I hope this trend continues, I love these unexpected covers.

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 16:56 GMT 

Just when I thought I was going to go do productive real life stuff I go & see this awesomeness!! :) Great thread!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... h_Carolina - musicians ... all categories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... h_Carolina - songwriters category

(Oops to those whom viewed before I caught my error)

Last edited by OldHenryLee on Thu November 8th, 2018, 17:08 GMT, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 17:00 GMT 

Yeah yeah, this is a great idea.

So let's have. 'Uma Casa Portuguesa' . Next time you're in Lisbon Mr. Bob. It's real easy Fado.

https://youtu.be/RU-Z0SiQKgU

But listen no pressure at all Bob. The poor man. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 17:12 GMT 

Mr. Doc Watson.

... Might not be a fit for song style, but caught my eye.

Little Tom Dooley action in same arrangement styles of Vincent Lightning via 2013 (oh, dreams).

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 18:08 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Yeah yeah, this is a great idea.

So let's have. 'Uma Casa Portuguesa' . Next time you're in Lisbon Mr. Bob. It's real easy Fado.

https://youtu.be/RU-Z0SiQKgU

But listen no pressure at all Bob. The poor man. :roll: :lol:

LoL.
.... Joking aside ... Since it's something he's clearly doing I'd guess this is very much fun for him.

Educated guess - This isn't something that'll last for long. ... Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Long & Wasted or Thin Man return this evening.

Personally, cover or own song, just like to see a consistent change in a slot or two. .. Just keeps things fresh & interesting.

On a not so educated guess - These recent changes harkens me back to those new guitarist rumors. ... Makes me picture a lot of rehearsal time going on. .. In typical Bob form of running through a bunch of random songs that aren't his to build a cohesion. ... Who knows though. ... Exciting times nevertheless!

https://youtu.be/XkzgNgBk8_E - Tom Dooley by Doc Watson

https://youtu.be/lOPaYL82TR8 - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning
( :( Makes me miss reading Janice on hERe. .. God bless. ... & another thanks [I had a different handle name then] for the '52VBL for all of us to forever give a spin. .. Quite the parting gift she worked very hard on retrieving)

Anyhow, ... as stated Tom Dooley doesn't much fit the styles of past two covers, but can at least picture it working with a similar arrangement to the Vincent Black Lightning one.

... Shall see

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 18:10 GMT 

^ 'Tom Dooley' is a great suggestion. :D

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 18:40 GMT 

'Atlantic City' by Springsteen in Atlantic City?

Post subject: Re: Geographic Encores
PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 20:35 GMT 

History of Ovens Auditorium & Bojangles' Coliseum:

http://www.ovensauditorium.com/ovens-auditorium-history

* Just finished reading .... Lots going on in that write-up.

PostPosted: Fri November 9th, 2018, 18:55 GMT 

https://news.ncsu.edu/2018/07/10-north- ... musicians/ - 10 North Carolina musicians that shaped American music

.... Interesting list ... #8 is a good one amongst many:

1. Charlie Poole

Legendary hellraiser and banjo-picker Charlie Poole deserves the nod over fellow Carolinian Earl Scruggs. Without Poole’s influence in vocals, instrumental style and old-school country/bluegrass themes (anyone else feeling “White House Blues”?), none of the later stuff would even be possible. Born in Franklinville in 1892, Poole spent much of his short life working in the mills there. He and his Carolina Ramblers dazzled audiences until the leader died as a result of alcohol abuse in 1931.

2. Mary Lou Williams

Mary Lou Elfreda Scruggs was born in Atlanta but lived out her final years in Durham, while teaching music at Duke. One of the first female bandleader/composers in American music, not just jazz, Williams had a fan club, a big band, and a huge reputation as a composer when, in the mid-1950s, she suffered a nervous breakdown. In time, she became Catholic and spent the remaining decades of her life composing devotional music for the Catholic Church. Best known is the suite from which this piece is excerpted, Black Christ of the Andes.

3. Thelonious Sphere Monk

It’s far from the most important, or most Monk-ish, performance. But hey, when one of jazz’s most important pianists and composers is born in North Carolina and records Burke and Davis’ “Carolina Moon” on his seminal Blue Note sides, dial it up. One of many jazz greats born in Rocky Mount, Monk was one of those rare players who created an utterly distinct compositional and improvisational language.

When you hear Monk play, or when you hear others doing “Blue Monk” or “Crepuscule with Nellie” or “Pannonica,” it’s as immediately recognizable as anything in music.

4. Max Roach

Who would ever guess that one of the three most important drummers in jazz history, Max Roach, would come out of tiny Newland, out near the Cherokee State Forest? Roach’s outrageous swing helped define the bebop era, the cool dude in the shades for whom Charlie Parker himself wrote “Max is Making Wax.”

But by the 1950s, Roach was a champion of musical self-determination, outspoken politics and reclaiming African history through music. This piece, “Garvey’s Ghost,” was written for early Pan-Africanist leader Marcus Garvey. And as a bonus, you get to listen to Roach’s partner at the time, the astounding vocalist Abbey Lincoln.

5. John Coltrane

Saint John Will-I-Am Coltrane. Hamlet, N.C. 1926. Died too soon in 1967, but not before he’d changed just about everything. This live version of “Afro Blue” is the first Coltrane I ever heard, from a heavy Birdland date in 1963, where his classic quartet was still processing the bombing of a Birmingham, Alabama, church. Prepare for liftoff.

6. Nina Simone

There can be no other musical choice to represent Tryon-born Nina Simone, who tells her audience here “I mean every word of it” after introducing “Mississippi Goddam.” Look at the pictures accompanying this video. Know that so much of the Civil Rights Movement moved through North Carolina, from the Woolworth’s lunch counter in Greensboro to the founding of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee at Shaw University in Raleigh. In her inimitable way, Simone channels it all.

7. George Clinton

Behold, the Mothership landing! This concert footage is actually a mashup of “Do That Stuff” and “Dr. Funkenstein,” where Kannapolis-born George Clinton (aka Starchild, the Head Maggot Overlord) is doing it as well as he ever did it. And the “it” is everything that is funky. “Hit me in the proton!”

I’m not sure there’s ever been a hipper, funkier, more OUT band than Parliafunkadelicment. Crossover commercial Afro-Futurism of the highest order.

8. Maceo Parker

You may know the song “Soul Power” from alto saxophonist Maceo Parker’s longtime boss, James Brown, the Godfather of Soul. But this 1974 performance with the Macks is one of the deepest funk cuts from a funky decade. Kinston-born Parker had a long career under his own name. If you like funk, thank Maceo. If you like gritty horn, thank Maceo. If you like hip-hop, thank Maceo, too.

9. Emmylou Harris

Harris was born in Alabama but spent much of her childhood in Cherry Point, N.C, and also attended UNC-Greensboro for a year. Whether on her own, recording with Gram Parsons or Willie Nelson, or singing “The Sweetest Gift” with this sublime trio, Emmylou’s sweetly quavering voice always stands out. This trio recorded some of the greatest American music I’ve ever heard. Plus, dig Dolly with the headscarf on her own TV show.

10. Corrosion of Conformity

Let’s close out the list with Raleigh’s own COC. Known for heavy music and politics, COC was one of the first bands to straddle the line between hardcore and metal. This is the classic early lineup performing “Intervention” from 1985’s Animosity (warning: the language is not for kids). Woody Weatherman, Mike Dean and Reed Mullin held it down in Raleigh, and the band still performs regularly (with and without Pepper Keenan). Over the last decade, Southern metal has gotten a lot more attention nationally. But it’s hard to imagine Southern doom, sludge or death metal without the first shots fired by COC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Watson - Doc Watson whom just must've been forgotten about by auther of above article.

Other than Carolina Chocolate Drops (groups name alone) Doc was the first person that came to my mind. ... He made some truly GREAT music & highly advise any that see this to check his stuff and story out ... if haven't already of course.

:)

PostPosted: Fri November 9th, 2018, 20:03 GMT 

When Bob finally will come to Bochum next year, he may cover Herbert. "Bochum, ich komm aus dir!"

PostPosted: Fri November 9th, 2018, 20:08 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:

Other than Carolina Chocolate Drops (groups name alone) Doc was the first person that came to my mind. ... He made some truly GREAT music & highly advise any that see this to check his stuff and story out ... if haven't already of course.

:)

Thank you, I will check. :D

PostPosted: Fri November 9th, 2018, 21:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Doc sang "Naomi Wise" on his s/t album. Here's hoping!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri November 9th, 2018, 23:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Check out Jason’s theory and Summerteeth’s followup over at
the Moon River Theory thread if you haven’t already.

Jason may be onto something. Fun either way.

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=1845108#p1845108

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 01:36 GMT 

Maybe I'll get to hear Train Kept A-Rollin' in Youngstown - home of Tiny Bradshaw

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 01:56 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Check out Jason’s theory and Summerteeth’s followup over at
the Moon River Theory thread if you haven’t already.

Jason may be onto something. Fun either way.

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=1845108#p1845108

To be clear - this is Jason's theory.
I just helped find the TTRH reference and pulled it all together. :)

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 14:10 GMT 

Two Man's World performances in a row. ... Next stop VA ...

https://www.virginia.org/VirginiaMusicians/ - list of musicians from VA

Information on the Berglund Center
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berglund_Center

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 15:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

OldHenryLee wrote:
... Next stop VA ...

https://www.virginia.org/VirginiaMusicians/ - list of musicians from VA

Would hafta vote for Dr. Ralph on this one!

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 17:09 GMT 

^ Rrrriiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt??!!?!

.... Maybe get on down to some, Love Me Darling Just Tonight.

... He hasn't done that one. .... yet ;)

https://youtu.be/fTKND9p4yYo - Love Me Darling Just Tonight ..... (& maybe in the morning as well?? ... possibly?) :)