This is the 42nd show of the 2018 Never Ending Tour

Previous 2018 shows:
26 Europe Spring
15 Australasia Summer
----
41 Total 2018

---
Bob Dylan - Reviews Are in ahead of NZ Tour
THE REVIEWS ARE IN, THE COUNTDOWN TO BOB DYLAN’S NZ TOUR IS ON!

Monday, 20 August 2018

“In the end we got to spend two hours with not only the world’s greatest living songwriter but the greatest of all time. Can you put a price on that?” – Rhythms Magazine

“No dancing, no photos, just musical genius” – The Age

“Bob Dylan isn’t like most iconic artists of his vintage: he never will – and infamously never has – pandered to expectations of audience or to nostalgia. You don’t get what you want; you get what he needs.” – The Guardian

With less than a week to go before legendary, pan-generational icon Bob Dylan lands in New Zealand for his two arena shows, the countdown is on! The reviews from his Australian shows are in resounding agreement that Bob Dylan and his 5-piece band are delivering a captivating performance of his stellar songbook – an evening described by The Australian as a “career-wide retrospective from a master of his craft”.

In anticipation of his arrival, Radio 13 DJ Marty Duda will host a 24-hour Bob Dylan-A-Thon, live, on the air on Thursday August 23rd. Marty is so excited about Dylan’s upcoming concerts at Auckland’s Spark Arena on Sunday 26 August, and Christchurch’s Horncastle Arena onTuesday 28 August, that he wants to share his extensive Bob Dylan record collection with his radio audience.

The “Bob Dylan-A-Thon” will begin at 6am on Thursday and finish 24 hours later. During that time Duda plans to play as much Dylan as humanly possible, without repeating anything. The programme will be available to be heard at http://www.radio13.co.nz via the live streaming tab. Listeners will be invited to call in with requests and comments. Also guests are expected to drop by to discuss their Dylan experiences (and keep Marty awake!).

Marty Duda first saw Bob Dylan perform live during his Rolling Thunder Review in 1976. Since then he has lost count as to how many times he has seen the great man perform, but of his last New Zealand concert, Marty’s review raved that it was “absolutely stunning, with Dylan singing more heartfelt and tenderly than I have ever witnessed before.”

Recent review quote: “Tonight’s was a fantastic performance – certainly the most complete, satisfying Dylan show we’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. With him and band on such fine form and so in tune with each other and with their set list, they would be foolish not to record this tour for a live album.” – 100% Rock Perth

In a career spanning six decades, Bob Dylan’s impact on popular music and culture is immeasurable. He is responsible for some of the most influential albums of all time, including The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, and his socially and politically charged singles, ‘Blowin’ In The Wind’ and ‘The Times They Are A-Changin’’, are widely considered among the most important songs in modern music. The ‘voice of a generation’ boasts an unparalleled repertoire, including timeless classics, ‘Like A Rolling Stone’,‘Tangled Up In Blue’, ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’ and ‘Girl From The North Country’.

With a catalogue of more than 50 albums, Dylan has sold more than 100 million records globally, received 11 Grammy Awards, an Academy Award for ‘Things Have Changed’ (Best Original Song), and has been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and theSongwriters Hall of Fame. In 2012, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama, and in 2016, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Last in New Zealand for three arena shows in 2014, Bob Dylan and his band are a commanding force on stage. To experience Bob Dylan live in concert is an opportunity to share an encounter with one of the last remaining musical legends of the modern era.

“Dylan appeared to be having a blast and his piano playing was vibrant and impassioned throughout. More importantly, in contrast to some gigs over the years his vocals were clear and distinctive, raspy but full of warmth and tuneful emotion.” – 100% Rock Perth

Don’t miss out on what promises be a performance for the ages!

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1808/S ... z-tour.htm

PostPosted: Sun August 26th, 2018, 19:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Last show of this Leg.
And what a Leg!!!

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 01:05 GMT 

I'm just hoping we get a standing centre stage Love Sick like Brisbane and Auckland...

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 01:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's not the biggest of accomplishments, but according to bobdylan.com, this will be the 400th performance of Pay In Blood (assuming it's played). Not bad for only being released 6 years ago!

Have a great time everybody going to the show!

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 03:41 GMT 

My wife and I have ended up staying at the same place as the band.
Walked straight past Donnie and some crew as they were unloading from three white vans. Upon entering the foyer, Tony, George and Charlie were entering the lift. Lots of talking going on. No use us trying to get in as they had instruments with them so it would have been a squeeze. :lol:
No sign of Bob and certainly don't expect to see him. But you never know...

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 06:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

wiseguys.

Pete Drake - The Spook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=godnXkSXFwk

Frank Sinatra and his bodyguards, Miami Beach, 1968 - Terry O'Neill

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 07:13 GMT 

Have a great night everyone, and I hope you get a couple of nice surprises for the last leg of the tour!

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 10:17 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
It's not the biggest of accomplishments, but according to bobdylan.com, this will be the 400th performance of Pay In Blood (assuming it's played). Not bad for only being released 6 years ago!

Have a great time everybody going to the show!

...and if we're really into statistics, tonight will be the 907th performance of Things Have Changed (again, assuming it's played)- an incredible fact!

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 04:12 GMT 

The band have just left the hotel on their way to the venue. Barron and a couple of other guys have left in a seperate van.
Not long to go now..

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 06:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

"On the swarming heavyweight Tommy “Hurricane” Jackson: “He throws a lot of leather, like a noctopus” [sic]"

-Whitey Bimstein

Grapefruit, First Edition, 1964, Yoko Ono

ELVIS - "The 1966 Rocca Place Home Recordings" (TSOE 2018)
Suppose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTzeAQ3KcQ&t=43m33s

Adieu - Georg Baselitz - 1982

Solving the Mystery of ‘Heartbreak Hotel’
"The man who inspired Elvis’ breakout hit has finally been unmasked – and the story is stranger than anyone could have imagined"

RANDY BOSWELL - July 15, 2016

"... it turns out that the story of the real-life man behind “Heartbreak Hotel” is as tragic and surreal as the gloomy scene “down at the end of Lonely Street.”

The tale really began two years earlier, in November 1953, when a 25-year-old man named Alvin Krolik walked into Chicago’s Albany Park police station and confessed to a string of armed robberies at Windy City hotels, restaurants and liquor stores. A former Marine Corps judo instructor, Krolik claimed to be an accomplished artist and budding author whose heartbreak over his failed marriage – to nightclub accordionist Agnes Sampson – sent him into a criminal spiral.

The guilt was getting to him, and the cops seemed to be closing in, so a sleepless, anxiety-stricken Krolik gave himself up in a manner that impressed veteran detectives – so much so that they alerted local reporters. The Chicago Daily Tribune ran an account of Krolik’s surprise confession and a photograph in which the contrite crook demonstrated how he’d used oil paints to disguise his face during his crime spree.

Now, Krolik claimed, he was done with crime, and had even penned a memoir to save others from his fate. “I have to get this thing off my mind,” he told police. “I’m tired of the panderers and streetwalkers I’ve been living with.”

In wire stories that ran in dozens of papers from the Northeast to Texas and California, reporters further captured Krolik’s regrets and his heartache over the split with Agnes: “I still love her madly.”

Then, stories quoted a passage from Krolik’s “unpublished autobiography,” said to be in the hands of a New York publisher: “If you stand on a corner with a pack of cigarettes or a bottle and have nothing to do in life, I suggest you sit down and think. This is the story of a person who walked a lonely street. I hope this will help someone in the future.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... tel-61745/

Tom Durden (Heartbreak Hotel co-writer) - Elvis - 1977 - all proceeds to the American Heart Assoc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCaL4DmUnhI

Arturo Godoy with trainer Whitey Bimstein, and others

Lennon by Peter Fordham

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 06:16 GMT 

What...?

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 06:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

just alchemy, in thanks to this great band's inspirations
just saw Tom Clark was working in space, what a poet he was.
http://tomclarkblog.blogspot.com
suppose = imagine

have fun bigfatmoon!

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:11 GMT 

Christchurch, New Zealand
Horncastle Arena
August 28, 2018

1. Things Have Changed (Bob on piano)
2. It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on piano)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)
4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano with harp)
5. Summer Days (Bob on piano) (Bob on piano) (Honky Tonk version)
6. When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on piano with harp)
7. Honest With Me (Bob on piano)
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano)
9. Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano with harp)
10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on piano)
11. Pay In Blood (Bob on piano)
12. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano)
13. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano)
14. Love Sick (Bob on piano)
15. Don't Think Twice, It's All Rights (Bob on piano with harp)
16. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on piano)
17. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Bob on piano then Center stage) (heavy blues)
18. Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano)

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on piano)
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on piano with harp)

Thanks to Doug Lilly and Siobhain & Che for the emails

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:15 GMT 

thank you for the setlist.
I hope, a tape will surface soon.
A set with Like A Rolling Stone and It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry is an unexpected sensation.

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:24 GMT 

:shock:

We need the tape please...

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wow. Unexpected.

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:43 GMT 

Bob center stage on Love Sick

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:43 GMT 

Wow!
bigfatmoon, give us the scoop!

Here's hoping a tape surfaces...

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:49 GMT 

Soomlos was there so a nice recording should emerge sometime..

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 10:56 GMT 

First performance of Like a Rolling Stone since the first Desert Trip show (10/7/2016) and first performance of It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry since 2005!

Are we still in "the SET era"?

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:06 GMT 

Just listened to Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry again on my phone recording. Really nice blues.

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:10 GMT 

Like a Rolling Stone was a lovely new arrangement with slow passages where Tony bowed the double bass.

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:27 GMT 

Master Thief wrote:
Like a Rolling Stone was a lovely new arrangement with slow passages where Tony bowed the double bass.

Would you care to share? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:32 GMT 

Viktor123 wrote:
Master Thief wrote:

Would you care to share? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think it would be better to wait for the recording from soomlos. My crappy mobile phone recording wouldn't do it justice.

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:39 GMT 

https://youtu.be/MMiXZsoV-c8 - major award earned

Awesome!

Very much Happy to see so many changes throughout this wonderful leg.

Hope it continues and gains steam into the fall