Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 14th, 2018, 23:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 11:25 GMT 
Senior Moderator

20thCenturyBoy wrote:
By the way, news spread quickly, at one point some guys shouted songs names and I heard a hilarious "Roll On Jooohn !!!". :lol:

Beautiful! :lol: I hope Bob heard him.

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 11:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
20thCenturyBoy wrote:
Ok, so I just come back.

It was huge. Really huge. Like I said it was my first show, but judging by what you can hear or see here and there, he was at the top. Luckily my and my friend were standing next to young hardcore-fans who said it was the best show they ever been to. I'm so lucky I was there, I think I'll remember it forever. The setlist was brilliant, and Bobby seemed to enjoy the hell out himself. He smiled, and laughed, and danced, and put his hand on his heart everytime the crowd showed their love for him.

Maybe ModBob really became GrandBob after all..

Congrats, 20th! Great that you got such an excellent show first time out. Here's to many more to come!

Yes, I love it that you hit it on the first one out, 20thCB. You will find yourself with a big smile for days..... :D

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 13:01 GMT 

For years ! :)

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 16:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

20thCenturyBoy wrote:
Ok, so I just come back.

It was huge. Really huge. Like I said it was my first show, but judging by what you can hear or see here and there, he was at the top. Luckily my and my friend were standing next to young hardcore-fans who said it was the best show they ever been to. I'm so lucky I was there, I think I'll remember it forever. The setlist was brilliant, and Bobby seemed to enjoy the hell out himself. He smiled, and laughed, and danced, and put his hand on his heart everytime the crowd showed their love for him.

Maybe ModBob really became GrandBob after all..

Glad to hear it! Thank you for sharing your experience!

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 16:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Viktor123 wrote:
Just sitting in the Lyon airport on my way home.

The show was great. We came two hours before the let us in and we stood in the 1st\2nd row. Met some great people there. And the venue was really great, good sound and you could see the stage clearly. Bobby was really happy, danced alot and enjoyed performing. The highlights for me were quite alot of songs actually, but in top was Blind Willie (because I really wanted to hear it to start with) and Forgetful Heart, really beautifully done. Long Black Coat and Desolation Row was really good aswell. I was a bit surprised with Sweet Marie as the opener, but it was great. Things have changed was really great with the harmonica. I loved the piano during most songs (Rollin and Tumblin wasnt the best, though). Even though Highway and Thunder is played every show - Bob seems to enjoy playing them, he was really happy and smiled alot during these songs. And as I said - great piano, much better than the keyboard. I think Charlie should be higher in the mix and have more spotlight during the show(s). \\ Some people also yelled some songs from Tempest, but then he sang Sugar Baby.. "Some of the bootlegers \ they make pretty good stuff".

All in all - really great show, loved it. Try to catch Bob this year if you havent already!

Viktor

Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 17:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

Troubadour64 wrote:
Viktor123 wrote:
Just sitting in the Lyon airport on my way home.

The show was great. We came two hours before the let us in and we stood in the 1st\2nd row. Met some great people there. And the venue was really great, good sound and you could see the stage clearly. Bobby was really happy, danced alot and enjoyed performing. The highlights for me were quite alot of songs actually, but in top was Blind Willie (because I really wanted to hear it to start with) and Forgetful Heart, really beautifully done. Long Black Coat and Desolation Row was really good aswell. I was a bit surprised with Sweet Marie as the opener, but it was great. Things have changed was really great with the harmonica. I loved the piano during most songs (Rollin and Tumblin wasnt the best, though). Even though Highway and Thunder is played every show - Bob seems to enjoy playing them, he was really happy and smiled alot during these songs. And as I said - great piano, much better than the keyboard. I think Charlie should be higher in the mix and have more spotlight during the show(s). \\ Some people also yelled some songs from Tempest, but then he sang Sugar Baby.. "Some of the bootlegers \ they make pretty good stuff".

All in all - really great show, loved it. Try to catch Bob this year if you havent already!

Viktor

Thanks for the review!

yes, thanks viktor, I am with you about hwy 61 and thunder..... I love 'em..... I don't get to do that many concerts and he really does have a good time with those..... and that makes them fun for us too..... But that Forgetful Heart.... ahhhhh.... excellent song.... glad you had a good time...

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 22:59 GMT 

Back from the concert now and sadly my tour is over for this time. But OH MY WORD what a show. I thought Nimes was brilliant but this topped it.
It started slowly for me but an amazing Desolation Row kicked it off and it just went from there, Forgetful Heart was lovely and Blind Willie Mctell was just outstanding - and I mean it. Those of us who were there can count ourselves lucky to have been at a show that will be long remembered. What a blow for those (notably quiet) few who take pleasure in knocking this man.
Something is happening here, if it's anywhere near you this year...or even if it's not. Go see it.

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 23:09 GMT 

It's nice to see Desolation Row played a bit earlier in the show. Personally I like that better.

Are they sticking to the Blind Willie arrangement from last year???

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 23:32 GMT 

Sphere wrote:
It's nice to see Desolation Row played a bit earlier in the show. Personally I like that better.

Are they sticking to the Blind Willie arrangement from last year???

Desolation row was one of the best. The piano - just great.

Blind Willie - basically the same yeah. There is a Dresden Bootleg out where he played it aswell. Check it out. Good bootleg & show.

Grainofsand79: Nice to hear that you enjoyed it as much as I did!

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 23:37 GMT 

How is the band introduction done now? Same old between songs or during Watchtower like earlier in the tour?

By the way, does Bob play much harp at the piano? I guess not but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 23:38 GMT 

In Lyon he did it after LARS I believe. I think he played almost no harp at the piano actually this show. Atleast what I remember.

Time for bed, good night!

PostPosted: Thu July 19th, 2012, 23:43 GMT 

Thanks Victor! Hopefully we'll get a video of Absolutely Sweet Marie. At least I hope so.

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 01:00 GMT 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SXjTko5Qx4

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 01:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ holy white pants batman! Shuffleboard anyone?

thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 06:25 GMT 

It seemed to me that Stu actually played lead on a lot of songs in Lyon. Has there been any change in the roles between Stu and Charlie?

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 07:11 GMT 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJCUOrtfBQ

this show (and tour) had so many great moments that i just wanna capture, keep and live in forever, but sadly now...its snap back ...hmmmm what was that word again, oh yea- to reality :cry: Enjoy the shows my fellow americans -to the max!!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 08:29 GMT 

What did I tell you about that Willie Mctell 8)

Can someone grab that video as I'm unable to download it at the moment and fear the sherif will destroy it before I immortalised it 8) would be most grateful, a few videos of that show forever in my pocket and a bad day won't ever last too long :)

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 10:24 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Cool. Drama. Was he able to channel his anger into some kickass solos after that?

Charlie is a hired hand for support, I don't think he's hired for kickass solos, but because of the speaker-problem he did not play the LARS-solo's that are more or less his finest moments (Bob's piano filled them in), from there the anger perhaps. He later tried the bottleneck in his BITW-solo like Nîmes again but he put it away fast.

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2012, 12:35 GMT 

Oh by the way. 'fashion report' :lol:

Bob has white pants, cool white boots with some markings, black jacket with yellow lines - looked really good! Hat on all night - no sunglasses.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2012, 07:35 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
Wow Sweet Marie! I haven't been able to check them everyday like before because I've had to go back to school.

Any recordings or footage yet?

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2012, 08:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

FYI, no new arrangement on Sweet Marie. It was like Bob added it spontaneously just before showtime, and neither he nor the band had rehearsed it. It was a "best of" lyrics offering, and before he started singing, I was guessing Queen Jane actually. Always nice to get a new opener, though! :)

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2012, 15:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
FYI, no new arrangement on Sweet Marie. It was like Bob added it spontaneously just before showtime, and neither he nor the band had rehearsed it. It was a "best of" lyrics offering, and before he started singing, I was guessing Queen Jane actually. Always nice to get a new opener, though! :)

interesting that you say that - Harold Lepidus was speculating that he may have making a comment about the history detectives episode...

I was guessing Queen Jane actually. Always nice to get a new opener, though!

he usually treats the delivery of those old songs quite similarly - that makes sense. when he played queen jane in indy i had a sense that it was, but wasn't confirmed until the lyrics began. could have been 4th street.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2012, 15:41 GMT 
Mercury Member

Troubadour64 wrote:

interesting that you say that - Harold Lepidus was speculating that he may have making a comment about the history detectives episode...

I think someone mentioned that in this forum before it was posted by HL

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2012, 15:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think HL is a copycat, but so is Bob. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue July 24th, 2012, 11:15 GMT 

I'm listening to the recording of that show. Am i hearing it wrong or is he singing "Do you misses Jones" at the end of Thin Man? :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next