Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 18th, 2018, 18:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun January 30th, 2011, 19:55 GMT 

Word on the college campus my niece attends is Dylan and Petty touring together this summer. Someone here MUST have the inside scoop......

PostPosted: Sun January 30th, 2011, 20:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

Interesting idea.... wonder who's band.... of if they just take 'em all..... hum.... would make one great poker game between shows.....

PostPosted: Sun January 30th, 2011, 21:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Funny :) A customor at the shop purchased 'Mojo' yesterday and we were discussing Tom & Bob's separate tours and I brought up when they did the 2 shows together in 2003 :)

So, hopefully this will be true and I hope they invite each other on stage this Summer :)

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 00:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Could this be the long=awaited Traveling Wilburys? I hope so. And I hope it could mean Traveling Wilburys Jeff Lynne and Jim Keltner are aboard the tour bus as well. I would also like to see George Harrison's son Dahni involved. Not sure if Roy Orbison has a son but if so it would also be good to see him involved in any planned reunion.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 00:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Slow Train wrote:
Word on the college campus my niece attends is Dylan and Petty touring together this summer. Someone here MUST have the inside scoop......

Well, it won't be the first time would it ? I'd love to see that show again.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 11:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Only if every show's finale is a drunken I've Forgotten More duet. Won't be Dylan/Petty without it. And hey, maybe they'll have an excuse to play Got My Mind Made Up. Yes, I'm the one fan of that song. There's potential there, dammit!

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 13:38 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
Interesting idea.... wonder who's band.... of if they just take 'em all..... hum.... would make one great poker game between shows.....

If it comes together, it would be nothing like 1986/87. It would be just yet another of the big money package tour Bob tends to do in the States every summer (Simon, Morrison, Mitchell, Nelson). Like 2003, they would both bring their own bands.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 13:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Good News!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 15:37 GMT 

Slow Train wrote:

Interesting news. If you don't mind me asking what school does she attend and did she hear a specific month or anything. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 16:11 GMT 
Senior Moderator

ragman99 wrote:
Slow Train wrote:

Well, it won't be the first time would it ? I'd love to see that show again.

I'd love to see them tour again. I was there first time 'round.
:arrow: Anyone but Mellancamp, please, Bob.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 17:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joh's busy anyway :)

I hope Bob closes this whole tour; it'll be a bit difficult if he opens every concert. Wonder what the set-up will be; rotating closers or Bob closing each time.

Would it be more difficult for people to sit through Tom to wait for Bob or sit through Bob to wait for Tom? :)

This will be an exciting Summer :)

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 20:37 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Since Bob is the headliner, he comes on last when he tours with another artist.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 21:04 GMT 

That'd be pretty cool. Back in '09, when Dylan did the minor league stadium summer tour w/ Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp, it was torture sitting through Willie and John to get to Dylan. But I think I'd actually enjoy listening to Tom first.

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 21:24 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I love Willie but I've seen him a million times. Bring on Petty, Bob!

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 21:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dylan doesn't seem to have a huge ego about these things, and based simply on numbers I'm guessing Petty closes, maybe with a couple duets at the end, ideally acoustic :P

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 23:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

Mister.Jones wrote:
Could this be the long=awaited Traveling Wilburys? I hope so. And I hope it could mean Traveling Wilburys Jeff Lynne and Jim Keltner are aboard the tour bus as well. I would also like to see George Harrison's son Dahni involved. Not sure if Roy Orbison has a son but if so it would also be good to see him involved in any planned reunion.

I think this^^ is dumb. I mean they had a few good songs but come on. Two of them are dead for godsake!! Why stop at George and Roy's children. I hear George has a dog with great pipes. And I'm sure Roy's parakeet could use the work. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 2011, 23:39 GMT 

[/quote]
Interesting news. If you don't mind me asking what school does she attend and did she hear a specific month or anything. Thanks[/quote]

Slippery Rock - in western PA. No specific month mentioned, just summer......

PostPosted: Tue February 1st, 2011, 17:02 GMT 

Well since Petty just wrapped up a big tour, I doubt it would happen, unless it's in Europe, where there hasn't been a Heartbreakers show in 10 years. Petty plays his hits as they were recorded so I don't know what most of his fans would think of Bob.

PostPosted: Tue February 1st, 2011, 18:18 GMT 

Well, I doubt that a European tour would be rumoured at a school in Western PA. I think it was supposed to be a US summer tour but the ISIS news of an "extensive" Eropean Summertour that is not likely to start before late May throws that in doubt, unless it's just gonna be a very short East Coast run.

However, the main reason that speaks against it is that Bob's turning 70 this year. I highly doubt that he would share the potential financial benefits of this with anyone, unless he intends to fill baseball stadiums.

PostPosted: Tue February 1st, 2011, 18:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Since Bob is the headliner, he comes on last when he tours with another artist.

Yes, but remember in 2000 at the last minute Bob decided to open :) & Tom's big business now :)

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 2011, 03:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Slow Train wrote:

There was a moron in front of me in line at Rochester in November 2010 who was adamant that Elvis Costello was opening for Bob. Adamant until it was pointed out that he was living in a time warp and that Costello opened for Bob in Rochester in 2007. He was reading three year old reviews without even realizing it.

SO........ I wouldn't get too excited by so called College Campus inside scoops.

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 2011, 17:00 GMT 

Slow Train wrote:

Percentage of College Kids who care about Dylan or Petty? < 1%.

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 2011, 17:08 GMT 

Plunk wrote:
Slow Train wrote:

Percentage of College Kids who care about Dylan or Petty? < 1%.

I'm in college and I care a RIDICULOUS amount about Bob and Tom. I'm just about to turn 21 and I've seen Bob 8 times and Tom 4 times. And I have a suprisingly large number of friends who are totally into Bob, Tom, Bruce, the Band, Neil Young type artists. And none of them are f-in "hipsters", they're all real human beings.

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 2011, 17:19 GMT 

Matt of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I'm in college and I care a RIDICULOUS amount about Bob and Tom. I'm just about to turn 21 and I've seen Bob 8 times and Tom 4 times. And I have a suprisingly large number of friends who are totally into Bob, Tom, Bruce, the Band, Neil Young type artists. And none of them are f-in "hipsters", they're all real human beings.

Percentage of College Kids who care about Dylan or Petty? < 1%

You learn that at College......world is full of "human beings."

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 2011, 17:24 GMT 

Plunk wrote:
Matt of Constant Sorrow wrote:

Percentage of College Kids who care about Dylan or Petty? < 1%

You learn that at College......world is full of "human beings."

Haha - didn't Bob say that? "All i learned at college was that alot of people go to college"