Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 17th, 2018, 09:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Aus/NZ Tour
PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 18:31 GMT 

No

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 18:42 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Riverboat Captain wrote:
Coming to NZ from UK for both shows

Would you do this to see Paul Simon?
No

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 20:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu June 21st, 2018, 12:52 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Thank you.
You are welcome.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 07:08 GMT 

I am hearing that there will be no additional concerts in Australia, which means Bob will be kicking his heels for 3 days between Melbourne and Sydney. Highly surprising.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 09:25 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
I am hearing that there will be no additional concerts in Australia, which means Bob will be kicking his heels for 3 days between Melbourne and Sydney. Highly surprising.

Perhaps he's still in touch with that ol' gal of his in Sydney.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 11:04 GMT 

Riverboat Captain wrote:
Coming to NZ from UK for both shows

What else!

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 03:18 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:

That is surprising and disappointing. Was hoping for a 3rd small concert in Melbourne, but oh well. Bob is saving me some $$ I guess!

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 03:45 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:

How reliable are your sources Huck27?

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 06:21 GMT 

dylanguy wrote:
Huck27 wrote:

How reliable are your sources Huck27?

I called the promoter a couple of weeks back because, like Nappy, I assumed there would be an extra show in Melbourne or Sydney, probably on Thursday. A lass in the office came back and said at this stage 'no extra shows are planned in Australia'.

I thought there would be a change of mind closer to the time, but 3 weeks out silence reigns, and some tickets are available for the Melbourne and Sydney gigs. Looks like no new record in six years and 8,000 seater venues could be the reasons why. Of course there is still time for an added gig at a small venue, probably Melbourne. I just can't see Dylan kicking his heels for 3 days.

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 07:24 GMT 

How reliable are your sources Huck27?[/quote]

I called the promoter a couple of weeks back because, like Nappy, I assumed there would be an extra show in Melbourne or Sydney, probably on Thursday. A lass in the office came back and said at this stage 'no extra shows are planned in Australia'.

I thought there would be a change of mind closer to the time, but 3 weeks out silence reigns, and some tickets are available for the Melbourne and Sydney gigs. Looks like no new record in six years and 8,000 seater venues could be the reasons why. Of course there is still time for an added gig at a small venue, probably Melbourne. I just can't see Dylan kicking his heels for 3 days.[/quote]

I thought there would be a change of mind closer to the time, but 3 weeks out silence reigns, and some tickets are available for the Melbourne and Sydney gigs. Looks like no new record in six years and 8,000 seater venues could be the reasons why. Of course there is still time for an added gig at a small venue, probably Melbourne. I just can't see Dylan kicking his heels for 3 days.[/quote]

Yeh it is strange. Since his already doing two 8,000 shows in Melbourne, I thought he'd do a couple small theatre shows in Sydney- cause although the Sydney arena isn't sold out I think the 1,000ish theatre shows would sell out. Also when he played the Tivoli in 2014 he only announced it a week prior, so I still think theres hope for atleast one more but who knows. Interesting though that in 2014 he had a 3 day break between Melbourne and Brisbane...so maybe he likes have a few days off in Sydney.

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 08:44 GMT 

Different cities of course, but there are still a lot of tickets available for the Adelaide gig - just had a look at the Ticketmaster site, and whole rows rather close to the front seem all but empty (e.g. you can get 24 seats together in the overpriced hot seat section).

And in Sydney you can still get ten seats together in section 19. And it's a Saturday night gig.

For whatever reason - the fact he played theatres last time? no new album for so long? - it doesn't look like tickets have run out of the door.

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 23:43 GMT 

Yep, tickets don't seem to be selling very well at all for this tour, apart for the Melbourne shows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Margaret Court Arena is closer to 5,000 seats?

It was a mistake to go to such large arenas, look at Brisbane for example. Going to the cavernous Entertainment Centre which hasn't sold well for Dylan for a while now, looks to only be half sold.

If there were to be a late small concert added, I'm guessing it will be in Melbourne. With the extra concerts in Newcastle and Wollongong, along with Sydney still not sold out, I can't see it being held there.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 09:50 GMT 

For anyone that's interested the Pool Picks are up for this leg of the NET, see The Never Ending Pool!

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 22:58 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
I thought there would be a change of mind closer to the time, but 3 weeks out silence reigns, and some tickets are available for the Melbourne and Sydney gigs. Looks like no new record in six years and 8,000 seater venues could be the reasons why. Of course there is still time for an added gig at a small venue, probably Melbourne. I just can't see Dylan kicking his heels for 3 days.

It's not entirely up to Dylan, unless he wants to put on a free show (which is highlily unlikely), isn't it? The promotor needs to shell out another 150.000-200.000 dollars for an additional club show and seeing that he's not making a lot of money with the already announced shows, potentially even losing money with some, I'm not sure if another show, even a small one, is a possibility. Not before the Sydney and / or Melbourne shows are all sold out anyway.

It seems pausible that the hole in the schedule was reserved for more shows in MEL or SYD but it has happened before that Dylan rather took some extra days off mid tour than playing shows that didn't bring in enough cash, see Canada 2017. And at his age, who could blame him.

PostPosted: Sun July 22nd, 2018, 23:21 GMT 

I think most of us assumed there'd be an extra show thrown in between Melboure 2 and Sydney due to the days off, but also due to the surprise show at the Tivoli in Brisbane last tour. That certainly wouldn't have made money, as it was a tiny venue and the tickets were much cheaper than the regular shows of the tour.

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 04:44 GMT 

Just noticed the promoter posted this over the weekend, implying something is in the works

https://m.facebook.com/chuggentertainme ... 52/?type=3

Sorry about the ugly linking

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 05:26 GMT 

Thanks for that. Interesting. Though being in Sydney will count me out unfortunately. Hard enough to get to the Melbourne concerts.

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 08:30 GMT 

The singer Vance Joy is going to open bob dylan for australian tour, atleast for the 11/08 gig !!
What do you think about that ? ( just read that on official Vance Joy page)

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 11:10 GMT 

Is it unusual for Dylan to have an opener these days? When was the last time Dylan had an opening act?

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 14:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Lucky Mathphil wrote:
The singer Vance Joy is going to open bob dylan for australian tour, atleast for the 11/08 gig !!
What do you think about that ? ( just read that on official Vance Joy page)

Wonderful :D

Love him :)

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 15:16 GMT 

dylanguy wrote:
Is it unusual for Dylan to have an opener these days? When was the last time Dylan had an opening act?

Dawes? Mark Knopfler?

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 15:45 GMT 

Surely Mavis Staples was the last opening act? Didn't she do 2 tours with him?

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

dylanguy wrote:

I was under the impression it is required to have an Australian act on the bill, other than that it is fairly unusual, but not unheard of for Bob to have someone opening.

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 16:12 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
I think most of us assumed there'd be an extra show thrown in between Melboure 2 and Sydney due to the days off, but also due to the surprise show at the Tivoli in Brisbane last tour. That certainly wouldn't have made money, as it was a tiny venue and the tickets were much cheaper than the regular shows of the tour.

Yeah, they did the Tivoli show in place of the second Arena show in Brisbane which they never announced because the first one was selling slow. But Bob's not getting any younger and I kind of feel the "Let's play a small show for half of our asking price anyway" days might be a thing of the past.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next