Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 22nd, 2018, 21:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2018, 16:33 GMT 

If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received? Would he sell out arenas in the US and Europe? Would it be assumed that he'd be doing more of a career retrospective? I'd obviously be stunned if Bob even entertained that sort of an ending, but just curious how people think it would be received commercially in 2018...

PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2018, 16:54 GMT 

Can you imagine trying to get a ticket?

I don't think it will ever be a formal 'retirement' declaration, but at some stage (no pun intended) the touring will just be beyond him.

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 00:10 GMT 

aberhwy61 wrote:
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received? Would he sell out arenas in the US and Europe? Would it be assumed that he'd be doing more of a career retrospective? I'd obviously be stunned if Bob even entertained that sort of an ending, but just curious how people think it would be received commercially in 2018...

He *did* sell out arenas (albeit not gigantic ones) in Europe recently, not annoucement necessary. I think past a certain age you don't have to formally announce it, people just know that if you want to see an artist who's 77 years old, you better not put it off. Has worked well for the Stones in recent years, too.

Personally, I think such an annoucement wouldn't change much. Maybe +10%, but I can't see him doubling his audience all of a sudden. If you play 100 shows a year for 30 years, chances are that you've reached all the people you can possibly reach.

The upcoming Australian tour is a case in point. He tours there about every five years, meaning he would be well into his 80s the next time he's due there after this Summer, yet tickets are not exactly flying off the shelves.

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 01:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

Farewell?
Doesn’t feel like that’s Bob’s style.
He’s seems more the Bill Monroe approach...

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 01:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

This forum has gotten morbid and depressing.

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 09:20 GMT 

There'd be a surge in demand and he might even do stadiums - perish the thought, keep it intimate Bob!

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 23:34 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
aberhwy61 wrote:

He *did* sell out arenas (albeit not gigantic ones) in Europe recently, not annoucement necessary. I think past a certain age you don't have to formally announce it, people just know that if you want to see an artist who's 77 years old, you better not put it off. Has worked well for the Stones in recent years, too.

Personally, I think such an annoucement wouldn't change much. Maybe +10%, but I can't see him doubling his audience all of a sudden. If you play 100 shows a year for 30 years, chances are that you've reached all the people you can possibly reach.

The upcoming Australian tour is a case in point. He tours there about every five years, meaning he would be well into his 80s the next time he's due there after this Summer, yet tickets are not exactly flying off the shelves.

Here in cloudy Melbourne the feeling is that he will sell out all the shows that have been announced to date, and that one or two more will be added at smaller venues. Ticket sales are reasonable given that he has not released an album of original material since he came here 4 years ago. He first toured here over 50 years ago, and I hazard a guess he has toured more frequently and played more out of the way places than any of his contemporaries. Without being morbid it is hard to imagine he will tour here again - but who knows. He has incredible energy.

PostPosted: Thu May 31st, 2018, 01:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

aberhwy61 wrote:
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received?

I would not receive that news very well at all.

PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2018, 15:36 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Can you imagine trying to get a ticket?

And imagine trying to get that ticket if the final tour was a bringing it full circle solo acoustic tour.

PostPosted: Mon June 4th, 2018, 00:58 GMT 

There are some wild things I’ve read on here that are at least a possibility to happen. Re-recording 60s songs on a new album? Maybe. Releasing every single recording from 1965-1966? Maybe. But no way on this planet would Bob Dylan ever announce a final tour or a final show or a final anything. I think he feels it is his purpose in life to travel around the worlds playing shows. If he is able to do the amount of shows he is doing at his age right now, why would he ever stop?

PostPosted: Tue June 5th, 2018, 14:01 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
There are some wild things I’ve read on here that are at least a possibility to happen. Re-recording 60s songs on a new album? Maybe. Releasing every single recording from 1965-1966? Maybe. But no way on this planet would Bob Dylan ever announce a final tour or a final show or a final anything. I think he feels it is his purpose in life to travel around the worlds playing shows. If he is able to do the amount of shows he is doing at his age right now, why would he ever stop?

In theory I'm with you, but there's a simple scenaerio where it could happen after all. Let's just say there comes a time when he's physically not able anymore to continue. Doesn't have to be a life threating thing, just something that keeps him from doing shows in the future. Would he just pay his last show and then when no new higs are annunced people would realize what is happening? Or wouldn't he announce farewell shows to cash in one last time? After all, he doesn't seem to be shy to collect the biggest check possible for just about anything he does.