Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 22nd, 2018, 21:05 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2018, 16:33 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 27th, 2009, 05:49 GMT
Posts: 213
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received? Would he sell out arenas in the US and Europe? Would it be assumed that he'd be doing more of a career retrospective? I'd obviously be stunned if Bob even entertained that sort of an ending, but just curious how people think it would be received commercially in 2018...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 27th, 2018, 16:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue July 1st, 2014, 19:16 GMT
Posts: 4776
Location: Beyond The Horizon.
Can you imagine trying to get a ticket?

I don't think it will ever be a formal 'retirement' declaration, but at some stage (no pun intended) the touring will just be beyond him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 00:10 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2014, 19:26 GMT
Posts: 652
aberhwy61 wrote:
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received? Would he sell out arenas in the US and Europe? Would it be assumed that he'd be doing more of a career retrospective? I'd obviously be stunned if Bob even entertained that sort of an ending, but just curious how people think it would be received commercially in 2018...


He *did* sell out arenas (albeit not gigantic ones) in Europe recently, not annoucement necessary. I think past a certain age you don't have to formally announce it, people just know that if you want to see an artist who's 77 years old, you better not put it off. Has worked well for the Stones in recent years, too.

Personally, I think such an annoucement wouldn't change much. Maybe +10%, but I can't see him doubling his audience all of a sudden. If you play 100 shows a year for 30 years, chances are that you've reached all the people you can possibly reach.

The upcoming Australian tour is a case in point. He tours there about every five years, meaning he would be well into his 80s the next time he's due there after this Summer, yet tickets are not exactly flying off the shelves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 01:23 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
Farewell?
Doesn’t feel like that’s Bob’s style.
He’s seems more the Bill Monroe approach...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 01:36 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 5535
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
This forum has gotten morbid and depressing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 09:20 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4318
There'd be a surge in demand and he might even do stadiums - perish the thought, keep it intimate Bob!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 23:34 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 22nd, 2015, 07:30 GMT
Posts: 211
Handsomeinthefog wrote:
aberhwy61 wrote:
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received? Would he sell out arenas in the US and Europe? Would it be assumed that he'd be doing more of a career retrospective? I'd obviously be stunned if Bob even entertained that sort of an ending, but just curious how people think it would be received commercially in 2018...


He *did* sell out arenas (albeit not gigantic ones) in Europe recently, not annoucement necessary. I think past a certain age you don't have to formally announce it, people just know that if you want to see an artist who's 77 years old, you better not put it off. Has worked well for the Stones in recent years, too.

Personally, I think such an annoucement wouldn't change much. Maybe +10%, but I can't see him doubling his audience all of a sudden. If you play 100 shows a year for 30 years, chances are that you've reached all the people you can possibly reach.

The upcoming Australian tour is a case in point. He tours there about every five years, meaning he would be well into his 80s the next time he's due there after this Summer, yet tickets are not exactly flying off the shelves.


Here in cloudy Melbourne the feeling is that he will sell out all the shows that have been announced to date, and that one or two more will be added at smaller venues. Ticket sales are reasonable given that he has not released an album of original material since he came here 4 years ago. He first toured here over 50 years ago, and I hazard a guess he has toured more frequently and played more out of the way places than any of his contemporaries. Without being morbid it is hard to imagine he will tour here again - but who knows. He has incredible energy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31st, 2018, 01:46 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17472
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
aberhwy61 wrote:
If Bob announced that he was retiring from touring and announced a farewell/final tour, how do you think it would be received?


I would not receive that news very well at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat June 2nd, 2018, 15:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1429
Location: Madly Across the Sun
Leonard wrote:
Can you imagine trying to get a ticket?


And imagine trying to get that ticket if the final tour was a bringing it full circle solo acoustic tour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon June 4th, 2018, 00:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 29th, 2016, 01:44 GMT
Posts: 965
Location: Heck
There are some wild things I’ve read on here that are at least a possibility to happen. Re-recording 60s songs on a new album? Maybe. Releasing every single recording from 1965-1966? Maybe. But no way on this planet would Bob Dylan ever announce a final tour or a final show or a final anything. I think he feels it is his purpose in life to travel around the worlds playing shows. If he is able to do the amount of shows he is doing at his age right now, why would he ever stop?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue June 5th, 2018, 14:01 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2014, 19:26 GMT
Posts: 652
goodmeats wrote:
There are some wild things I’ve read on here that are at least a possibility to happen. Re-recording 60s songs on a new album? Maybe. Releasing every single recording from 1965-1966? Maybe. But no way on this planet would Bob Dylan ever announce a final tour or a final show or a final anything. I think he feels it is his purpose in life to travel around the worlds playing shows. If he is able to do the amount of shows he is doing at his age right now, why would he ever stop?


In theory I'm with you, but there's a simple scenaerio where it could happen after all. Let's just say there comes a time when he's physically not able anymore to continue. Doesn't have to be a life threating thing, just something that keeps him from doing shows in the future. Would he just pay his last show and then when no new higs are annunced people would realize what is happening? Or wouldn't he announce farewell shows to cash in one last time? After all, he doesn't seem to be shy to collect the biggest check possible for just about anything he does.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group