Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu September 20th, 2018, 18:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Fri August 26th, 2016, 05:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

DESERT TRIP - Weekend #1

Bob Dylan and His Band

Indio, California
Empire Polo Club

7 October 2016, Friday

The 47th Show of the 2016 Never Ending Tour

Capacity: 70,000
Showtime: 6:50 pm (21:50 GMT)

Opening for: The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones and Mr. Dylan are scheduled to get things going on Friday, Oct. 7, with Mr. McCartney and Mr. Young filling the Saturday slots on Oct. 8. Mr. Waters and the Who will close out the event on Sunday, Oct. 9. ~ New York Times

---

Could the Stones-McCartney-Waters-Dylan-Young-Who Headlining Desert Trip Concert Rake In a Staggering $100 Million?

Indio, California, USA – Touted as the “concert of the century,” Desert Trip -- the three-day October extravaganza announced May 3, featuring a classic-rock dream team of The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and The Who - is estimated by Billboard to rake in a $50 million box-office gross, if it sells out as expected.

But that combination of legendary status, ticket-selling clout and the FOMO factor -- few of these acts will be touring on this scale, if at all, in 10 years -- comes at a high price. Sources say primary headliners the Stones, McCartney and Pink Floyd’s Waters will pull in between $7 million and $10 million each, while the “support” acts (an odd concept for legends like Dylan, Young and The Who) will well earn more than $1 million apiece. According to a source familiar with the talent layout, at least four of the acts will score the highest paydays of their respective careers. Sources tell Billboard that Desert Trip’s talent budget alone exceeds $35 million -- and that Goldenvoice chief Paul Tollett was prepared to pay whatever it took to secure the lineup.

“When [Paul] called me nine months ago and said, ‘What do you think of this idea?’ I said there’s no way this is going to happen,” says Artist Group International president Marsha Vlasic, Young’s longtime agent. “But he was determined. This was his vision and his dream.”

Indeed, Desert Trip is not a traditional festival. Each day’s show is scheduled to start at sunset and feature a stadium-level set from each act. Seating and other crowd-assembly and logistical equipment will be trucked in at great expense (a source estimates production costs to be around $13 million). Also in play are such line items as staffing, catering, rental and permit fees with the site and the city, insurance, and other unsexy but necessary budget-busters. Conservatively, Desert Trip could cost upwards of $50 million for the promoters.

Compare Rolling Stones' Zip Code Tour: $109.7 Million

On the revenue side, reserved ticket prices for all three nights range from $699 to $1,599. Sources say there will be 30,000 reserved seats and 40,000 general-admission tickets, with the latter priced at $399 (arguably a bargain, considering the three primary acts routinely charge $250 or more). Given that scaling and capacity, the gross potential for a sellout is about $49 million, and if GA sales tilt toward single-day admissions ($199 each), Desert Trip is looking at box-office gross revenue of more than $50 million.

Still, risk remains. So how does Desert Trip land firmly in the black? Three letters: V-I-P.

The Palm Springs area has ample opportunities for pricey “enhanced experience” upgrades such as “glamping,” dining, golf and resorts -- and it's had 17 years of Coachella to customize them for concert audiences. (Prices were still being determined at press time.) Other revenue streams include concessions, merchandise (which could reach Super Bowl proportions of more than $25 per head) and sponsors. If producers pursue the latter, the value of reaching this well-heeled audience would be as much as $20 million, Billboard estimates. There’s also content delivery beyond the Valley (streaming, theaters and pay-per-view, which could easily top $1 million), along with post-event content in the form of DVDs or other formats.

"They will probably come out [in the black]," says one industry observer. "But GA concerns me. I want to see 40,000 people standing on the lawn.” Sources say the producers are “very optimistic” they have a winner. "They’re going to draw from all over the world,” says Vlasic. “People will see this as an amazing, rare opportunity."

This article was originally published in the May 14 issue of Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... nvoice-aeg

PostPosted: Fri August 26th, 2016, 14:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

I now think that he'll do a greatest hits set.

PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 01:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Expecting more of the same here.

PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 04:43 GMT 

If Dylan does the standard set of the past years, a la Sinatra style crooning at this mega rock festival extravaganza, then the man truely has "balls made of steel".

PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 05:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

For sure, and while I hope he sticks to his guns and does more recent originals along with the songbook material, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw a few more hits in than usual. I don't think we'll see a full-blown about-face, though. He's been too committed to presenting a new Dylan to the public these last few years to blow it all by going on tv with greatest hits and further freezing his public image as "that guy". imo, of course.

PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2016, 15:36 GMT 

Certainly expect a lot of people will be looking at this thread when the time comes - many more that for live set lists on the last tour.

Is it certain that the performance will be officially streamed , or is that just a hope ?

PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2016, 00:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

cohenadmirer wrote:
Is it certain that the performance will be officially streamed , or is that just a hope ?

Haven't heard anything "official" about that here, although I might not be paying close enough attention.
Not really expecting it though.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2016, 01:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mez wrote:
If Dylan does the standard set of the past years, a la Sinatra style crooning at this mega rock festival extravaganza, then the man truely has "balls made of steel".

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri September 2nd, 2016, 21:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev wrote:

I also think he'll then tour this hits set.

PostPosted: Fri September 2nd, 2016, 22:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev wrote:
Trev wrote:

I also think he'll then tour this hits set.

I approve of your prediction.

But I don't have a good track record.

PostPosted: Fri September 2nd, 2016, 22:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Don't worry, kuddukan, I'm usually right about these things.

PostPosted: Fri September 2nd, 2016, 22:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

I don't really believe that Bob will showcase so many Sinatra tunes at Desert Trip. Bob is a performer and I don't think that type of set would make any sense for the venue.

I also think that while there won't be an professional release of the concert, it will be a ripe venue for excellent audience taping (both auditory and visual).

PostPosted: Sun September 4th, 2016, 20:50 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I don't really believe that Bob will showcase so many Sinatra tunes at Desert Trip. Bob is a performer and I don't think that type of set would make any sense for the venue.

One could make the argument that Bob is a performer and, therefore, would not continue to play the same set over the course of several tours. I wouldn't put it past him to continue playing the same 20 songs regardless of the venue/event.

PostPosted: Mon September 5th, 2016, 00:27 GMT 

I'm fully expecting The Set and I'm fully hoping to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Mon September 5th, 2016, 00:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

It really could go either way...or right down the middle which is my prediction if forced.

I see a 0% chance that he'll fully abandon the new bag he's worked so hard putting across to audiences across the world for 2 1/2 years now.

PostPosted: Wed September 7th, 2016, 01:52 GMT 

Come on....this is easy, and I am always right about these things.

1st half - complete Shadows.
2nd half - complete Angels.
Encore - Dirt Road Blues.....then some jackass yells, Judas !

PostPosted: Wed September 7th, 2016, 02:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm getting excited about Desert Trip. Only a month out. I'm not going but it kicks off the new tour!!

PostPosted: Wed September 7th, 2016, 06:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bard wrote:
I'm fully expecting The Set and I'm fully hoping to be proven wrong.

Well said. I reside in a similar thought process.

PostPosted: Wed September 7th, 2016, 06:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

One month out! Let's hope somethin changes

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 17:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is going to be a great shake up, proper stuff.

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 19:24 GMT 

There's no way he's going to do the Sinatra set :? . ERs front page has a article claiming the company have made over 100mill on ticket sales and dont need sponsors, it could be they dont need to sell any tv rights. The desert trip website states no audio or visual recording, how well its policed, who knows. We should have chipped in and got soomlos and other great bootleggers there.

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 19:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

escapeedrifter wrote:
There's no way he's going to do the Sinatra set :? . ERs front page has a article claiming the company have made over 100mill on ticket sales and dont need sponsors, it could be they dont need to sell any tv rights. The desert trip website states no audio or visual recording, how well its policed, who knows. We should have chipped in and got soomlos and other great bootleggers there.

I assume it will be a mass of people that will be hard to police. I am hoping for some spectacular bootlegs.

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 19:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Despite the tremendous skill of the many great Dylan tapers, and the advancements in the technology they use, I'm afraid that the 50k yuppies loudly complaining as well as the outdoor wind, the fact that the prime taping positions may be taken up by the VIP section ect, may reduce the quality of any resulting bootlegs. :( Still, best of luck, tapers!

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 21:10 GMT 

Slight aside...

Ian Ritchie of my fave band Deaf School is flying out today to rehearse with Roger Waters for these gigs.

He has started a blog..

http://ian-ritchie.com/new/blog.htm

PostPosted: Thu September 8th, 2016, 21:18 GMT 

Or a nice soundboard and cam recording stolen by a stones roadie. I would wonder what camera crews', stationery cameras and big screens ect will be there. If the stones want their slot filmed for instance, it would all be set up prior to bobs set? Someone may just press record :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next