Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 15th, 2018, 14:27 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 02:58 GMT 

Here we go with another controversial LP Empire. I enjoy many of the tunes but dislike the production. I feel a lot of the songs themselves are good if they were stripped down. The boot Clean Cuts is a better listen. The MEZ's wishes the drum machines and synths weren't present, but hey it was the 80's. Back to the track I enjoy it for what it is a ballad. I give it a whirl from time to time. What are others thoughts on this track? posts? comments? thoughts? You know the drill. Unpopular song I'd gather. Anyone willing to step up and admit to liking this tune? MEZ

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 03:07 GMT 

It's a good song but I agree with you on the 80s production techniques.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 04:01 GMT 

Always liked this one, great melody even with the awkwardly phrased chorus. The 80s production fits this song better than any other on the album as it's kind of a schmaltzy ballad...and Campbell's playing is excellent.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 06:52 GMT 

Absolutely great song...still gives me a rush, and I look forward to hearing it again after this post...but I don't address the techie aspects, just the emotional ones, so my opinion isn't sound, pun intended.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 07:34 GMT 

Simple and sweet, a strong and capable effort in the pop song category. On par with I'LL BE YOUR BABY TONIGHT and IF NOT FOR YOU.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 10:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

The version of this on "30th Anniversary Concert" is one of the very best Bob covers ever. I didn't realize how good of a song it was (or could be) till I heard that magnificient interpretation. It requires absolute, earnest, unironic sincerity, which is one of the hardest things to pull off.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 11:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

I like every version I've heard so far...each for their own reasons and it played well on tour with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. And let's be honest, Empire Burlesque isn't as bad as many have made it out to be.

Besides, it's been rumored he wrote this for/about Elizabeth Taylor which, true or not, makes for imaginative conversation if nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 12:02 GMT 

One of Dylan's weakest songs ever.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 15:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I liike the song and prefer to hear the O'Jays sing it.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 16:37 GMT 

P.Jekk wrote:
One of Dylan's weakest songs ever.

I think Dylan spent quite some time in the 1980s trying to write a recognised power-ballad that would fit in with the best of the songs released by other people at the time. With this song, he did it.

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 20:44 GMT 

Wow I'm kind of amazed by the general consensus on this one. I was sure this would be the first unanimously trashed song and am quite pleased to find it isn't...

Warren Peace wrote:
The version of this on "30th Anniversary Concert" is one of the very best Bob covers ever. I didn't realize how good of a song it was (or could be) till I heard that magnificent interpretation. It requires absolute, earnest, unironic sincerity, which is one of the hardest things to pull off.

Completely agreed WP. One of the only unexpected treasures of that event and a deeply soulful performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJTOV94w ... annel_page

Untrodden Path wrote:
I like every version I've heard so far...each for their own reasons and it played well on tour with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. And let's be honest, Empire Burlesque isn't as bad as many have made it out to be.

Besides, it's been rumored he wrote this for/about Elizabeth Taylor which, true or not, makes for imaginative conversation if nothing else.

I also agree with this. I generally think the best shows with Petty occurred in 1987 but 1986 certainly redeemed the Empire Burlesque songs far more than any year thereafter.
A really lovely, spirited performance of Emotionally Yours:

July 7, 1986 RFK Stadium Washington D.C.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/js1pjb

As for Liz Taylor, it's not a theory. there's good evidence to support the theory based upon the testimonies of the directors of the crazy video for Emotionally Yours.

"During the filming of Emotionally Yours, when it was after six o'clock in the afternoon, Dylan suddenly started to have ideas of his own. He noticed that Monica Getchell, who was playing the "discarded girlfriend", had a similar bone structure to the young Elizabeth Taylor. He asked if a wig could be found so that Monica could become the image of Taylor in the 50's...Dylan loved the transformation and told us that Emotionally Yours had been written with Taylor in mind...when Dylan saw his concept going from initial idea to film action in a matter of hours, he was thrilled by it. His input was exciting and valid."

And thus the video was opened with Liz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjOSqaMkac

PostPosted: Tue August 4th, 2009, 22:58 GMT 

Emotionally Yours - Bob Dylan & Tom Petty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnKXv_B6H0

PostPosted: Wed August 5th, 2009, 02:51 GMT 

bob's best songs are when he's leaving the girl or she's done him wrong. this is another sappy ballad like make you feel my love. these are not dylan songs. his best love song is probably love minus zero. when he tries to write these sentimentals kind of songs in the latter-days it's a disaster. vampire burlesque was him sucking his own blood and beating himself to death with a drum machine. the best song of the album was the often-maligned dark eyes, actually a dylan song. seeing the real you wasn't bad either. when the night comes falling sometimes was good live, without all the electronic crap to smother it. bonus comment: most over-rated dylan song in recent decades: standing in the doorway. give me a break.

PostPosted: Wed August 5th, 2009, 02:58 GMT 

i'm_not_about_to_argue wrote:
these are not dylan songs

FAIL.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 10:02 GMT 

Awkward lyric, bumbling vocal...yes, to my ears Dylan succeeded in doing up a power ballad. The drums are mixed very strangely (probably Arthur Baker) but I have no qualm with the synth. And Campbell's Robertson mimicry is absolutely wonderful, always gives me a good rush. There's some very fine guitar playing throughout Empire. Too bad Night Comes Falling was such a hash.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 10:22 GMT 

Great song, don't listen to it very often.. But when I do it's very good.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 13:14 GMT 

I like the versions from 1993.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 13:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

It seems like more of an update on older type songs than an attempt to write an 80's power ballad - though the production probably sabotaged that. It's one of my least favorite Dylan tunes as there's so little to bite into, even compared to Lay Lady Lay or something this one seems slight to me. Maybe I'm missing it....

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 14:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm with Warren Peace on this one. It's a good song that needs the right performer. The O'Jays were perfect.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 16:06 GMT 

Roving Gambler wrote:

yester daydy was the first time i heard it. and yes it was rather good...and i dont like dylan in the 90s. I like playing this song on guitar and for some reason listening to it pumps me up even though its a cliche love song.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 16:15 GMT 

Roving Gambler wrote:

Anyone have a link to this? I think the early-mid-90s performance style could make almost ANY song 100x more powerful but I'd love to hear its take on Emotionally Yours.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 16:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

The "it's not a Dylan song" comment is interesting. The fact that this is one from a fairly small pile of Dylan songs that are improved by cover versions might just support that idea.

PostPosted: Thu March 24th, 2011, 16:27 GMT 

i'm_not_about_to_argue wrote:
bob's best songs are when he's leaving the girl or she's done him wrong. this is another sappy ballad like make you feel my love. these are not dylan songs. his best love song is probably love minus zero. when he tries to write these sentimentals kind of songs in the latter-days it's a disaster. vampire burlesque was him sucking his own blood and beating himself to death with a drum machine. the best song of the album was the often-maligned dark eyes, actually a dylan song. seeing the real you wasn't bad either. when the night comes falling sometimes was good live, without all the electronic crap to smother it. bonus comment: most over-rated dylan song in recent decades: standing in the doorway. give me a break.

Disagree completely with everything you said. :P

PostPosted: Fri March 25th, 2011, 04:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think the current NET line up would do a fine job with this... I want to see it brought into the setlist.

PostPosted: Fri March 25th, 2011, 05:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
I think the current NET line up would do a fine job with this... I want to see it brought into the setlist.

See? And I want to see the band plane go down over the ocean. We have so much in common!