Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 16:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 07:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

onemorecup wrote:
Did you say the catalogue was being printed in Europe?

Designed and printed in the UK.

Quote:
Designed by Graphic Thought Facility, London; Printed by Pureprint Group, Uckfield

I'm also told that the catalogue will be more widely available next year (i.e. not just from the museum), but I don't know how reliable that information is.

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 09:04 GMT 

I would like a copy, but I'm not prepared to pay to get it from the US. I have spent so much money on Bob stuff and tickets this year!

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 09:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

It'll probably be cheaper if you can find someone to mail you a copy privately.

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 18:05 GMT 

No dice! Fred, what's your system?? I tried downloading the image for 'Kitchenette' and putting it into Google's new drag and drop tool for image searches, but although it's cool to see hundreds of results with such similar colour palettes - http://bit.ly/VisuallySimilar - no matches appear for 'Kitchenette'. But ya just know it's out there...

Nice Try, Google!
Attachment:
DYLAN-2009.0019-Kitchenette.jpg

Attachment:
DSC_0636.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 19:06 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

Johanna Parker wrote:
I still think it's been put on the site by mistake - it doesn't look like one of Bob's works. Either a mistake or some kind of joke. What you see under "selected works" on the Gagosian website is only one from the Asia Series if we don't count the Life one - Opium. The other two are from the Brazil Series.

Quote:
To: Meg Blackburn meg@fitzandco.com
This image is causing some consternation on bob dylan forums, with some saying it might be a mistake - can you confirm that this image is part of dylan's Asian Series?
Many Thanks

Ando

To: "andodouglas@gmail.com"
date Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM
subject FW: LIFE mag image?

Hi Ando,

It is in fact a Bob Dylan painting and part of the exhibition.

All best,
Meg
--
Meg Blackburn
Director of Media Relations
FITZ & CO
535 West 23rd Street #SPH4-Q
New York, NY 10011
T: +1 212-627-1455 x225
E: meg@fitzandco.com

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 19:56 GMT 

The Press says, Mick Jagger and his bodyguards and Patti Smith a.o. were at the opening, so that may have been the reason for the big black cars. :)

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 21:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lisa wrote:
I'm gonna see these too in a couple a weeks :)

I'll be there on the first... will you be in town? wanna meet???

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 21:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

I'm not positive on this one without a better image of the painting, but look at the spectators in the photo and (from what you can see) in the painting...

Photo Jacob Aue Sobol THAILAND. Bangkok. 2008

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3= ... &CT=Search

Wanna hire me, Johanna? :lol:

like I said...after a while I just roll my eyes...I could see if he were an art student.... but he's selling this....shit... :roll:

yawn...and I paid the 80 bucks for the catalog... I picked the second cover from the left

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 21:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

you know what leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... this is marketed as if these are things he saw when he was traveling in asia... so far all he's done is friggin copy other people's photos... very conventional and BORING. A great artist invents scenery, or paints something he/she sees but with his/her own twist, style or interpretation... How many of you have been to an art museum and have seen studeint learning techniques from redrawing artwork they are viewing? This is the SAME thing, but he is selling them and not crediting the original photographers...These are just paintings he saw of photos...like copies of them. Nothing original... BOOOOOOO!!!!

Having said that, I really am looking forward to seeing the gallery in October. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 00:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

I must have truly missed something, where was the interview where these were marketed as something he has seen or done? I am not being a smart ass.... I really want to know what I missed..... I read the interview with the curator, or at least the part on line talking about going to the studio to see stuff..... and when the first Drawn Blank came out there were some interviews with BD himself.......... I have not seen any other real ... in depth... interviews about his art work........ got links....???? I know that when he talked about the Drawn Blank series he says that he drew what he saw... they gave him a blank drawing book and sent him on his way........ but those original drawing were done years ago.....

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 00:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
I must have truly missed something, where was the interview where these were marketed as something he has seen or done? I am not being a smart ass.... I really want to know what I missed..... I read the interview with the curator, or at least the part on line talking about going to the studio to see stuff..... and when the first Drawn Blank came out there were some interviews with BD himself.......... I have not seen any other real ... in depth... interviews about his art work........ got links....???? I know that when he talked about the Drawn Blank series he says that he drew what he saw... they gave him a blank drawing book and sent him on his way........ but those original drawing were done years ago.....

the new interview is in the new catalog of painted copies of photos...lol

having said that... I already ordered mine.... I wanted all 4 covers, but at 80 bucks, I couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 00:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

Is it on line anywhere yet?

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 00:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:

OMG...your avatar.... I have that actual print... like an original one from the photographer that did that shoot... he did it for spin magazine

as for the catalog... yes, you can order it on the website found on the first page of this thread... there's a lovely link provided

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 01:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

Milkcow wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:

OMG...your avatar.... I have that actual print... like an original one from the photographer that did that shoot... he did it for spin magazine

as for the catalog... yes, you can order it on the website found on the first page of this thread... there's a lovely link provided

Yeah, ain't that pic drop dead hot???? :wink:

I knew about ordering the catalog.... I was wondering if there was any place to read any interviews yet?

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 02:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

oooohhh...no....the interview is in the catalog.. and some press article was just copying from it I think

yes the pic is awesome... you should see it in person. I paid about 380 bucks for mine but I bought it from someone already framed.... he sells the pic higher unframed

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 03:33 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
I must have truly missed something, where was the interview where these were marketed as something he has seen or done? I am not being a smart ass.... I really want to know what I missed...

I think they're talking about this -
Quote:
The series, described as a “visual journal,” will include scenes from Mr. Dylan’s recent trips to China, Vietnam, Japan and South Korea...the works on view include "firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, architecture and landscape," according to a gallery press release.

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 05:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

Johanna Parker wrote:
I still think it's been put on the site by mistake - it doesn't look like one of Bob's works. Either a mistake or some kind of joke. What you see under "selected works" on the Gagosian website is only one from the Asia Series if we don't count the Life one - Opium. The other two are from the Brazil Series.

Quote:
To: Meg Blackburn meg@fitzandco.com
This image is causing some consternation on bob dylan forums, with some saying it might be a mistake - can you confirm that this image is part of dylan's Asian Series?
Many Thanks

Ando

To: "andodouglas@gmail.com"
date Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM
subject FW: LIFE mag image?

Hi Ando,

It is in fact a Bob Dylan painting and part of the exhibition.

All best,
Meg
--
Meg Blackburn
FITZ & CO
535 West 23rd Street #SPH4-Q
New York, NY 10011
T: +1 212-627-1455 x225
E: meg@fitzandco.com

Thanks for the confirmation, Ando. So it's part of the exhibition, even though it's not technically "a Bob Dylan painting". He put some typing on an already existing image....

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 06:01 GMT 

Yeah, i thought her use of the word 'painting' was hopeful PR-speak - but maybe he painted over a blown-up copy like he did with the previous series?

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 06:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
Yeah, i thought her use of the word 'painting' was hopeful PR-speak - but maybe he painted over a blown-up copy like he did with the previous series?

I don't think he painted any of this at all. Compare this picture with the original Life cover which Fred posted. Bob added some typescript over a preexisting image.

That said, I don't think Bob made it obvious that he copied his new paintings from photos and things. He's been borrowing all over the place in recent years, and he's usually been found out and he doesn't seem to care. Seems to be no difference now.

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 06:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:
I must have truly missed something, where was the interview where these were marketed as something he has seen or done? I am not being a smart ass.... I really want to know what I missed...

I think they're talking about this -
Quote:
The series, described as a “visual journal,” will include scenes from Mr. Dylan’s recent trips to China, Vietnam, Japan and South Korea...the works on view include "firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, architecture and landscape," according to a gallery press release.

the failed to leave out that some of the works on view are firsthand depictions of other artists' photos and have nothing to do with scenery from his recent Asian trips... :?

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 06:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

As I said above, I don't think Bob told them he painted from photos - he never told anyone he borrowed from Ovid and Confessions Of A Yakuza and Uncle John's Bongos. He's been found out, he doesn't seem to care, so he goes on with it. I honestly start to think it's a game that he is playing with us. The gallery staff didn't check the background of these works, and why would they if they assumed these were original works.

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 08:13 GMT 

Quote:
I don't think Bob told them he painted from photos - I honestly start to think it's a game that he is playing with us. The gallery staff didn't check the background of these works, and why would they if they assumed these were original works.
Quote:
They failed to mention that some of the works on view are firsthand depictions of other artists' photos and have nothing to do with scenery from his recent Asian trips.
You're right, there's no way he would've told them. But I guess if they cared they would've done a bit of research? But either way I thought I'd give Meg a bit of a start!
Quote:
Hi Ando,

(The LIFE magazine piece) is in fact a Bob Dylan painting and part of the exhibition.

All best,
Meg
--
Meg Blackburn
FITZ & CO
Well aware of Dylan's penchant for appropriation, denizens of online dylan forums are quickly tracking down the inspirations for the works in the Asia Series. I think a quick glance at the attached photos will convince you that describing the series as a “visual journal,” and "firsthand depictions," as your press release touts them, is a bit of stretch! Indeed knowing Dylan's track record we're confident that every image in the show will eventually be traced to another artist's work as the source material. Whether or not this changes one's view of the work on its own merits, the terms used in the press release are certainly misleading.

Yours Truly

Ando

Last edited by AndoDoug on Thu September 22nd, 2011, 08:17 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 08:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yeah! Let us know if you get a reply. :D

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 08:18 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Yeah! Let us know if you get a reply. :D
Haha I shall - just sent it (4am eastern)

PostPosted: Thu September 22nd, 2011, 11:35 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
As I said above, I don't think Bob told them he painted from photos - he never told anyone he borrowed from Ovid and Confessions Of A Yakuza and Uncle John's Bongos. He's been found out, he doesn't seem to care, so he goes on with it. I honestly start to think it's a game that he is playing with us. The gallery staff didn't check the background of these works, and why would they if they assumed these were original works.

Well, to be fair to Mr. D., not that he needs my defense :lol: , including the issue date of the Life magazine cover in his version pretty much is an open invitation to me - or anybody - to go find the original. I'd say that's a man who's not trying to hide anything. As to the photos, it may be indicative that so far all -- with the possible exception of "Opium," I haven't checked that out -- have been imagery from photobanks such as Magnum and Getty, and all available for licensing. I suspect that's why (at least so far) we haven't seen a protest from the copyright holders of the original photos. Given the kerfluffle over the Obama "Hope" poster, it's hard to believe that someone wouldn't expect a suit unless someone had taken steps prior to ensure something similar wouldn't happen.

That doesn't Mr. D. isn't being his usual disingenuous self, but who would expect more (or less) from him? Someday I'm going to write an article titled, "The 5 Stages of Being a Bob Dylan Fan" and list the process many fans go through from initial denial to grudging acceptance... eventually accepting him for what he is. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next