Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 23rd, 2014, 05:11 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 12:32 GMT 

Via The New York Post...

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/s ... z1YUlyy1Wo

Quote:
Simple twist of paint

By BILLY HELLER

Last Updated: 1:43 AM, September 20, 2011

Posted: 10:42 PM, September 19, 2011

‘Someday, everything is gonna be diff’rent,” sang Bob Dylan in his 1971 song “When I Paint My Masterpiece.”

Today, there is gonna be something different in the New York art world — as Dylan displays his paintings in his first-ever gallery show in the city. Eighteen works, in acrylic, are hanging on the walls of the Gagosian Gallery on Madison Avenue.

As it turns out, Dylan is “a talented painter,” according to John Elderfield, the chief curator emeritus of painting and sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art. Elderfield conducted an interview with Dylan for the exhibition’s catalog.

“Some people say to me, ‘Would you be interested in these works if they were not by Bob Dylan?’ ” Elderfield tells The Post.

“And I say, ‘Would you be as hard on them if they were not by Bob Dylan?’ ”

The show, called “The Asia Series,” consists of paintings of scenes in Japan, China, Vietnam and Korea — where Dylan had been touring during the last three years. While some images, such as “Kitchenette,” have a contemporary subject and look, others, such as “Emperor,” are more historical in nature.

The paintings, which measure up to 5 feet wide, are on sale. The gallery hasn’t revealed prices, but a series of original paintings by Dylan on sale last year in a London gallery went for $150,000 and up. These latest works are more sophisticated than two of Dylan’s best-known paintings — covers for his 1970 album “Self Portrait” and for The Band’s 1968 debut “Music From Big Pink.”

In the catalog interview, Dylan says he doesn’t follow contemporary art much, adding, “I think miniature golf courses are great art forms.”

The singer goes on to say, “I’ve done sketching most of my life. In notebooks, on napkins, on rough paper or cardboard, plates and coffee pots . . . basically when there’s something to look at — so it’s not new for me.”

Elderfield describes Dylan’s painting as a “neo-expressionist, beat style. And Dylan likes that.”

Among the paintings are the Gauguin-inspired “The Game,” which shows three men playing the Chinese board game go. Dylan tells Elderfield his Gauguin reference is “underpainting and muted color,” adding, “I might have even been tempted for a second to paint out the rest of the picture in that style, but I’m not Gauguin.”

Elderfield first became involved with Dylan a few years back when he got a call from the musician’s manager. Dylan had been asked to exhibit some work in Germany, and, the manager related, “Bob asked me to find someone who can take a look at it and see whether he was gonna embarrass himself,” Elderfield says.

Elderfield wound up visiting Dylan’s art studio in LA, which, he says, “is like no art studio that I’ve ever seen. I think he bought this building with all the furniture and just kept it. It’s like a little house, and it’s got old couches and stuff, crossed swords on the wall. And it’s kind of cramped.”

And the verdict on Dylan’s art?

“Look, the guy’s a genius,” says Elderfield.

Dylan has another studio where, according to Elderfield, he’s now making sculptures.

“It’s more industrial, where he makes these welded sculptures,” he says.

As for the singer, who’s had earlier art exhibits in Europe, he paints mostly from life.

“It has to start with that,” he told Elderfield. “Real people, real street scenes, behind-the-curtain scenes, live models, paintings, photographs . . . whatever it takes to make it work.

“But it has to start with something tangible.”

Interesting that Mr. D. is also doing sculpture. There was some speculation in another thread that he was doing welded pieces, which is apparently true.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 13:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks for posting this. I was going to, but didn't have much time earlier. Can't wait to read more of the interview and see all the images.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 15:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

Fred, thank you for posting.......... I think his art is getting just as exciting as a new album.... except most of us can't buy it..........It is interesting that he wasn't sure about it....... he had to get someone else to look before he would show it........... I used to wonder if he ever felt that way about his songs........ I just always thought he was so sure about that, about where he was going....... it was good that he didn't ask, who knows what we might not have ever heard if he had worried too much about others opinions........ His LA art studio sounds a lot like they used to describe Rundown Studios ......... just was what it was and he left it that way......... It's funny, people complain about this security keeping him from people and then other things turn up that show him to be anything but a prima dona type........ wouldn't you just love to get a walk around in his art studios..... with or without him..... maybe it would be better without..... would be so distracted with him there.... :P

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 15:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

I merged all the recent topics on this new collection together.

If anyone has any more interpretations of the Vietnam/Life picture to offer, I'd be glad to read them.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 16:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, the Vietnam image disappeared from the website. The only available painting now is the monk, which is called, well, "The Monk."

http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/201 ... /images/1/

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 16:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
Lily Rose wrote:
I think his art is getting just as exciting as a new album....

Sorry, not me. I wish him the best with it and all, but I want new songs to wrap my brain and heart around.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 16:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

He's working at sculptures right now. See Fred's post above. Sorry, smoke....

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 17:20 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Well, the Vietnam image disappeared from the website. The only available painting now is the monk, which is called, well, "The Monk."

http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/201 ... /images/1/

This link still works - I thought when i saw your post that they'd taken it down after i emailed them last night to ask if it was some kind of mistake
http://www.gagosian.com/artists/bob-dylan/#/images/4/

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 18:36 GMT 

I'm not positive on this one without a better image of the painting, but look at the spectators in the photo and (from what you can see) in the painting...

Photo Jacob Aue Sobol THAILAND. Bangkok. 2008

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3= ... &CT=Search

Wanna hire me, Johanna? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 18:47 GMT 

I'm gonna see these too in a couple a weeks :)

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 21:39 GMT 

Fred - how do you like that quote from the NYPost - "it has to be from real life", then he keeps talking, adds photographs last, then qualfies the art further as something 'tangible'... er yea, that's it, i meant he's not you know, 'abstract.' funny!

Bob's whole life is a testament to abstract perception - his life has been one of being championed as the first abstract celebrity, maybe he got that from Mr.Pop, Andy Warhol.

so was Joni Mitchell right?

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 21:50 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I merged all the recent topics on this new collection together.

If anyone has any more interpretations of the Vietnam/Life picture to offer, I'd be glad to read them.

well, I think I heard somewhere that Bob's first words were, dada

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 21:59 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
Fred - how do you like that quote from the NYPost - "it has to be from real life", then he keeps talking, adds photographs last, then qualfies the art further as something 'tangible'... er yea, that's it, i meant he's not you know, 'abstract.' funny!

Bob's whole life is a testament to abstract perception - his life has been one of being championed as the first abstract celebrity, maybe he got that from Mr.Pop, Andy Warhol.

so was Joni Mitchell right?

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I've avoided commenting on the whole borrowing/copying/appropriating thing as the implication that Dylan is some type of plagiarist makes some people in these Forums crazy. Scott Warmuth, who quite accurately points out Dylan's use of other writer's phrases in Chronicles has always carefully avoided using the term, which still didn't stop people from accusing him of having some sort of agenda or implying that Dylan was a plagiarist and damaging his reputation with the children or something. So, I'll say right now I won't be drawn into that sort of argument. Consider Dylan how you like. I'll do the same.

Having said that, my opinion is that it's a bit like Chronicles and, as Michael Gray points out, a bit like the music appropriations.

As with Chronicles-(and TTRH)-wise, I get this bit of bemusement and disappointment that instead of Dylan recording something he observed that captured him, it's really a reproduction of something that somebody else observed, which may or may not have anything to do with what's on Bob Dylan's mind. Did he see a cock-fight in Bangkok and then went to Magnum -- which seems to be his favorite place for images -- as a reference source? Is his memory/imagination so bad that he has to copy the photograph detail-by-detail? Can't he take his own damn photos? :lol: Did he even actually go to a cock-fight, or does he spend his time in his hotel room smoking opium and reading art books?

Music-wise, as Gray points out, would it really be that hard to acknowledge the sources, especially those who will never attain the fame and fortune of a Bob Dylan? As much as I admire Mr. D., - and pace those who think I don't - I'd love to see him have to acknowledge these borrowings past, "sometimes I start with a photograph..." which belongs, as it turns out, to someone else.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 22:07 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

I'm not positive on this one without a better image of the painting, but look at the spectators in the photo and (from what you can see) in the painting...

Photo Jacob Aue Sobol THAILAND. Bangkok. 2008

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3= ... &CT=Search

no doubt about it...( ''Love and ) Thef''. Bob, you wicked old fox! You are something else!

Last edited by Tragos114 on Tue September 20th, 2011, 22:25 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 22:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

There is one thing that always makes me wonder....... does anyone really think that he is surprised when someone figures out/finds/discovers his sources? It's not like he is aware of the internet.......it's not like this has not been coming up for years now....... and it is also not like he is using something so famous as the Mona Lisa as his source......... he uses things that are obscure, but that can be found and makes them into something more than he found them......... I don't think we should underestimate his belief in his fans......... he knows that those that care will find his sources.......... but it makes his results..... be it art or books or songs any less..... at least not to me.... And if makes them less to you.... walk away....

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 22:33 GMT 

i think the question is not the results, the execution - but the genesis of the inspiration, seeing something from REAL experience or PRESENTED experience - and one doesn't have to make a judgement on it as Fred wisely does

Fred - thanks for replying so quick - yes yes this is starting to sound like an emperor with a gorilla in the room, and there lies the rub - the long shadow of Colonel Tom Grossman still hangs around it seems -

yes one does wonder if it were better that the handsome lady amongst opium pipes were a picture and not a lived experience? Oops, may be deadly, wouldn't want that actually.

i am reminded of the argument in the old days that the folk singers of greenwich were copping the traditional forms without having been born into them, that the authenticity was robbed, so bob's been in the thick of this i guess his whole life.

love talking this stuff over with you all and scott warmuth is so great to have plumming the screeds, so to say --

bob said he was a rearranger in that interview a couple of years ago i think - i honestly though he was copping to it then...

i won't be as wise as Fred, - i think Bob needs to stop making money from his art, it is diluting his inspiration.

thats why together thru life was good, it was just bob kickin' it and copping mink and reed and everyone else and it was a bob not a dylan statement, hence the less regard from the ossified media puffers -

and we got forgetful heart - the first stylistic evolution from bob in a long time from it. bravo

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 00:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Fred, thank you for posting.......... I think his art is getting just as exciting as a new album.... except most of us can't buy it..........It is interesting that he wasn't sure about it....... he had to get someone else to look before he would show it........... I used to wonder if he ever felt that way about his songs........ I just always thought he was so sure about that, about where he was going....... it was good that he didn't ask, who knows what we might not have ever heard if he had worried too much about others opinions........ His LA art studio sounds a lot like they used to describe Rundown Studios ......... just was what it was and he left it that way......... It's funny, people complain about this security keeping him from people and then other things turn up that show him to be anything but a prima dona type........ wouldn't you just love to get a walk around in his art studios..... with or without him..... maybe it would be better without..... would be so distracted with him there.... :P

it would only be distracting with him there if he were naked... otherwise it would be fine.. just sayin'

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 00:49 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
You can call the gallery 212.744.2313 to check.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 02:16 GMT 

I went on my lunch hour today to see Bob's new paintings at Gagosian. I didn't like the Drawn Blank series (although I love the paintings for Big Pink and Self Portrait), but I did like the looks of what was promised for this show.

There are some really good paintings. They are quite different from the Drawn Blank drawings, these are more muted, more introspective, they are finely observed and decently well painted. Also, although I only had a few minutes (I'll go back another time), I read a wee bit of the interview with John Elderfield and loved what I read. Dylan is not interested in what is "in", said something about you can only be out if you've been in, and vice versa I guess, which is just what I think too. There were several things that resonated with me and I'm looking forward to getting my catalog (they didn't have any, one must pre-order from the site).

Coming out of the show there were 5 or 6 great big black SUVs hanging on the street and the traffic had been stopped, of course I wondered if it was Bob but in a while when the cars buzzed by they were full of military police, I think Bob doesn't use those so it was prob a political person instead!

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 03:21 GMT 

I am so jealous. I would love to see any of his paintinga. I thought his Brazil paintings were much better than his Drawn Blank series though. I guess we now know that one year he spent a lot of time in Brazil, the next year in Japan; I wonder what is next. I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been a Scottish series. Gibson, I hope there is and you are in one of the paintings! Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 03:53 GMT 

UN GA is in town, wouldn't be surprised to see a Dylan loving world leader head in.

I plan to go, I've just got a nasty cold and couldn't make the trip today.

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 06:01 GMT 

cool restless...thanks for the review !!!
:)

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 06:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

restless wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting my catalog (they didn't have any, one must pre-order from the site).

restless, thank you for the report.
So it's true what I've been told, they open the show and don't have the catalogue ready. That for a show that's only running a month, and that will be attended by plenty of avid (Dylan) collectors. I can't understand.... :?

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 06:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

Yes please, Fred, if you wanna work for me. :lol:
You'll get a big credit for finding all these images in anything I might write about this.

Meanwhile, here's another painting. The first person to draw up a corresponding photograph wins.... well, a lot of honor and stuff. :wink:

http://www.observer.com/files/2011/09/D ... enette.jpg

PostPosted: Wed September 21st, 2011, 07:16 GMT 

Did you say the catalogue was being printed in Europe?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next