Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 18th, 2014, 10:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Sun September 11th, 2011, 06:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

goodnitesteve wrote:
DId he draw that image on the LIfe Mag cover?

The Life cover existed previously, but some of the text on the margin is new. I wonder if that will really be a part of the new series and if so, in what way it will relate to the other works. If you go to the Gagosian website, you can see the (yet to be published) exhibition catalogue with four different images on the cover. All of them are closer in style to the "Opium" painting that to the Life cover.

iamhere wrote:
never saw that "Opium" painting before. Can't wait to go and see it. Is all his other work going to be shown? not just the asia series.

It's just going to be the Asia Series, consisting as they say of 18 new drawings and paintings. Most of the original Drawn Blank Series has been sold and will probably never go on display again as one collection. I don't think anything from the Brazil Series will be there either, though two of those paintings are shown on the Gagosian website, so who knows. I wouldn't expect the complete collection to be there though. There might be some related stuff, and it was rumored that Gagosian might sell the original Music From Big Pink painting, but I'm told that this is highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun September 11th, 2011, 19:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

All I've seen from this show are "Opium" and the 4 catalog covers but I really like them. Much more interested in "The Asia Series" than any of his previous work. I'm definitely going to see the show at the end of September.

Gagosian is the most powerful art dealer in the world with multiple galleries so it's quite possible the show will be seen in other venues.

PostPosted: Sun September 11th, 2011, 19:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
One of the paintings rumored to go on sale at Gagosian - rumored asking price $18 million.

Asking price is b.s. Even the old masters don't get the asking prices these days. If somebody actually paid one million bucks for that painting, they'd deserve a stupidity award.

PostPosted: Mon September 12th, 2011, 00:03 GMT 

So my girlfriend and I arranged a trip to NYC, with this as the focus point of the whole thing. Very excited.

PostPosted: Mon September 12th, 2011, 03:54 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I'm heading to see Elvis Costello in the Big Apple soon. I'm planning on getting there early so I can check out this show.

PostPosted: Wed September 14th, 2011, 06:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

You can order the catalogue of Bob's new masterpieces from the Gagosian website now. It comes with four different covers and you can specify via the "comments" field during check-out which one you would like. It costs 80$ for the 100 page book containing the drawings and paintings and an interview with Bob.

Unfortunately, the shipping costs to Europe are pretty steep and come out more expensive than the book itself. I thought about taking orders for people I will meet during the fall tour.... if I order 10 copies, it comes out just above 25$ in postage per book. Maybe similar projects can be arranged elsewhere.

http://www.gagosian.com/publications/20 ... ia-series/

PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2011, 06:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fascinating find that a friend send to me this morning. Bob found a vintage photograph to base the "Opium" painting upon. I wonder if he paints from photographs often. If anybody comes across any more evidence, I'd be glad to hear from you.
http://amycrehore.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... nting.html

PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2011, 17:47 GMT 

As ER hasn't had the de rigueur "Dylan is a thief!" thread for at least five minutes, I bring to the reader's attention the following on Mr. D's "Opium" painting...

http://amycrehore.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... nting.html

... and, as someone points out in the comments of that post, there is at least one more photograph that forms the basis for a painting from the "Asia" series.

http://blog.magnumphotos.com/images/NYC7349.jpg

Music, "Chronicles," TTRH, art, "Consistency, thy name is Dylan." :lol: And no, before anyone calls me out, I'm not saying "thief." Master appropriator and remixer, yes. Thief, no.

PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2011, 21:32 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
As ER hasn't had the de rigueur "Dylan is a thief!" thread for at least five minutes, I bring to the reader's attention the following on Mr. D's "Opium" painting...

http://amycrehore.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... nting.html.

Fabulous copy mister Dylan well done ... isn't he a fantastic painter ... copy or not I still love his paintings .

PostPosted: Fri September 16th, 2011, 21:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

is anything he does original? really? uuugg... after a while I just roll my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 00:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

Milkcow wrote:
is anything he does original? really? uuugg... after a while I just roll my eyes.

He is quite an original 'Bob Dylan'.... one and only.... and no one has copied it quite the same..... althought many have tried :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 03:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

If he actually did that, I'm stunned.

I agree about the references to pulp. Also "thinking outside the box" - Dylan's love of mindless cliches. And "what happens next" reminds me of the old radio serials, like there are an endless stream of episodes to this thrilling adventure - considering how long the Vietnam war lasted, very true.

Thanks to the person who posted the photo of the two asian "gangsters"(?). That's by far my favorite of the paintings we've seen. Interesting to know it's adapted from a photograph.

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 03:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

you know the other night I was listening to his 60s songs... and really was blown away by his lyrics especially for how old he was when he wrote them.... but then you find whole things snagged from other people's stuff... the same thing he hates when people do it to him.... and then you find parts of chronicles in others writings and now this.... It aggravates me.... BUT, it still doesn't make me like his music any less... go figure

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 03:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Everybody does that. In painting, music, literature. Everyone is always riffing on what someone did before them. People who are completely original are extremely rare. Almost all art is derivative. I don't like Bob's work any less because of all the influences and the appropriation.

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 03:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

the_revelator wrote:
Everybody does that. In painting, music, literature. Everyone is always riffing on what someone did before them. People who are completely original are extremely rare. Almost all art is derivative. I don't like Bob's work any less because of all the influences and the appropriation.

yeah... I guess it's because he gets away with it when others don't as much... maybe that is what aggravates me the most... still though, I like his stuff just much anyway.... maybe b/c I think he's so hot... bwhahahaha

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 07:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
... and, as someone points out in the comments of that post, there is at least one more photograph that forms the basis for a painting from the "Asia" series.

http://blog.magnumphotos.com/images/NYC7349.jpg

Master appropriator and remixer, yes. Thief, no.

Thanks for finding this, Fred. It's fascinating....

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 15:10 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's not a painting at all though, it's a "scan with some additional typing on it"? It looks nothing like the other works in that series that we can see (there's 5 known so far).

If you or someone else can explain the references, I'd be much obliged though.

hearts and minds- ?

PostPosted: Sun September 18th, 2011, 23:45 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
The original...

and the Dylan adaptation...

Very, ah, "Warholian," for someone who doesn't think much of Warhol. :lol: The "Prick?"

If it is real, it seems like Tweedledum and Tweedledee lyrics feel-Like those comments re the situation? -if it's looking at it (the 1966 magazine viewpoint) from this many years later. Maybe

PostPosted: Mon September 19th, 2011, 14:38 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
you know the other night I was listening to his 60s songs... and really was blown away by his lyrics especially for how old he was when he wrote them.... but then you find whole things snagged from other people's stuff... the same thing he hates when people do it to him.... and then you find parts of chronicles in others writings and now this.... It aggravates me.... BUT, it still doesn't make me like his music any less... go figure

Me neither. I have wondered at times whether Mr. D. would have had the same career if his audience in the `60s had as easy access to information as we do now. Would somebody have brought up the similarities between "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Too Much Monkey Business" for example, or that lines from "Desolation Row" appeared taken from "Desolation Angels" and the public written Dylan off as simply a copycat?

I doubt it, but who knows? It's like wondering what would have happened if the motorcycle accident hadn't. I suspect that we would have never seen either Self Portrait (good) or John Wesley Harding (bad) and that there would have been a very good chance Mr. D. would have joined the 27 Club (very bad).

PostPosted: Mon September 19th, 2011, 22:03 GMT 

Location: Lower Slobbovia, Slob Nobbin' with the common Bob Slobs
Milkcow wrote:

Well, his ass is original. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 01:05 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
The original...and the Dylan adaptation...
Where does this image come from and why is it being attributed to dylan?

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 03:51 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
The original...and the Dylan adaptation...
Where does this image come from and why is it being attributed to dylan?

I think it was on the Asia Series page on that one website

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 06:19 GMT 

Ok i found it
http://www.gagosian.com/artists/bob-dylan/#/images/4/

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 11:51 GMT 

I haven't seen a price, anyone know?

PostPosted: Tue September 20th, 2011, 11:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

You can call the gallery 212.744.2313 to check.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next