Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 24th, 2014, 17:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon July 25th, 2011, 18:13 GMT 

24/7 online channel to feature every one of Dylan's classic "Theme Time Radio Hour" shows

Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" weekly show to air on SiriusXM's Deep Tracks channel

NEW YORK, July 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) announced today that it will launch "Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour," the online channel showcasing Bob Dylan's classic satellite radio shows. The commercial-free music channel will launch on Monday, August 15 on channel 801 on SiriusXM Internet Radio.

Theme Time Radio Hour, hosted by Bob Dylan, offers an eclectic mix of songs, from a wide variety of musical genres, related to that week's theme with Dylan's on-air thoughts and commentary interspersed with phone calls, email readings, contributions from special guests and an array of classic radio IDs, jingles and promos from the past.

Additionally, SiriusXM listeners will hear a show from the Theme Time Radio Hour vault on Deep Tracks, channel 27, on Mondays at 8:00 pm; Wednesdays at 11:00 am; Thursdays at 12:00 am and Sundays at 8:00 am (all times Eastern).

"Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour" will air online, along with commercial-free music channels "Simon & Garfunkel Radio," "Neil Diamond Radio," "Tim McGraw Radio" and "Mandatory Metallica."

Deep Tracks plays deeper cuts from classic rock legends. Listeners will hear Bob Dylan, Allman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Beatles and Solos (John, Paul, George, Ringo), Rolling Stones, The Who, Steely Dan, Kinks and Steve Miller Band.

For more information, please visit www.siriusxm.com.

PostPosted: Mon August 15th, 2011, 19:58 GMT 

It's very nice to have a whole dedicated channel.

PostPosted: Wed August 17th, 2011, 18:50 GMT 

Over the past couple years I've been trying to get all 100 shows in the 128 kbs quality from the XM premium online service. I got all but 5 in that quality (I have those other 5, but in lesser quality) -- they'd skipped over them or I just missed those 5.

But getting the other 95 in good quality, without pops and dropouts was a real challenge. The online service is horrible. So I'd have to record the main deep tracks show and at least one re-run and edit out the bad parts - replacing them with good parts of other shows. The editing worked fine and all is seamless, but my point is the XM online service is horrible because of the pops and dropouts. But when you work hard and get a show all together, eventually, the sound quality is outstanding.

So I was hoping that this new Channel 801 would not have the droputs and pops that DT has. Unfortunately it is very bad. So I give up. I'll settle for 95 shows in outstanding quality, and have the other 5 shows in decent enough quality. I'm tired of fooling with XM Onlne. I'm still doing it with Tom Petty's show -- but he probably has only 6 more shows left for this season, then I think I'll give up on that.

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 13:37 GMT 

riverclown wrote:
I'm tired of fooling with XM Onlne. I'm still doing it with Tom Petty's show -- but he probably has only 6 more shows left for this season, then I think I'll give up on that.

SiriusXM Online can be very frustrating. I hate their online player which (on the iPod at least), stops for "inactivity" after an hour, forcing you to reload the show. So far the TTRH channel hasn't shown up in the listings in other online players, or I'd use MusicDock over the SiriusXM player. And as riverclown noted, there is seldom a show played where there isn't some sort of drop-out, distortion or other audio glitch. I was bemused yesterday by a segment where Dylan kept repeating the same intro. I finally had to stop the player and reload to get him back on track. :lol: And completists will be disappointed to find that the credits have been removed from most, if not all, the shows. The only show I've heard so far where the credits were played is the first, "Weather." Instead of credits, we get a sonorous SiriusXM voice talking about "classic, curated" and somesuch and then introducing the next show.

Having said that, even problematic TTRH is better than no TTRH at all. I haven't listened to the shows in a year or so, and I'm enjoying them all over again.

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2011, 16:16 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
SiriusXM Online can be very frustrating. I hate their online player which (on the iPod at least), stops for "inactivity" after an hour, forcing you to reload the show. So far the TTRH channel hasn't shown up in the listings in other online players, or I'd use MusicDock over the SiriusXM player. And as riverclown noted, there is seldom a show played where there isn't some sort of drop-out, distortion or other audio glitch. I was bemused yesterday by a segment where Dylan kept repeating the same intro. I finally had to stop the player and reload to get him back on track. :lol: And completists will be disappointed to find that the credits have been removed from most, if not all, the shows.

I was using XM Tuner for a while, but it had problems of its own. I haven't tried MusicDock but will look into it. The XM online player problems seem to vary channel by channel. For many months the reruns on Spectrum came through absolutely perfectly, while Deep Tracks was bad. Once I called tech support and they said the source of the problem is in the individual channel - someone there goofing things up. So I emailed Deep Tracks and never heard back. Of course Spectrum went downhill eventually. It got to where if they weren't having pops and droputs, the DJ there was messing up the tracking. Putting them in the wrong order and/or putting a big gap between tracks. Plus Spectrum never had the complete ending -- they'd leave off the reference to the next week's show.

PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2011, 07:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

yay! at least this means that the shows are accessible for anybody who wants them.

PostPosted: Thu August 25th, 2011, 12:37 GMT 

tellmemomma1966 wrote:
yay! at least this means that the shows are accessible for anybody who wants them.

As Karl Erik noted in another post, non-U.S.-residents aren't able to access the shows. On the other hand, the ready availability of the shows may encourage those with access and so inclined to record and post the shows as a torrent somewhere giving everyone the ability to enjoy them.

PostPosted: Wed August 31st, 2011, 13:03 GMT 

is dylan radio any better quality?
I listen to them there in what I assume is a random rotation...

no more xm for me....unless he came back to spin some more records.

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 16:41 GMT 

After a two-year run, SiriusXM apparently suspended the Theme Time Radio Hour internet-only channel in August 2013. While still listed on their website, the channel has disappeared from the SiriusXM player listings. It looks like the show has also been replaced on SiriusXM radio by the Earle Bailey show (again).

If SiriusXM holds true to form, TTRH re-runs will probably be back in a year or so.

PostPosted: Sun August 4th, 2013, 06:07 GMT 

Well that sucks...

Really wish he would release the whole series in CD Quality Box Sets for Commericial Purchase.

PostPosted: Sun August 4th, 2013, 15:49 GMT 

:( :cry:
this reminds me of the summer of 2011....I had just bought a new vehicle, asked for XM radio to be installed in the car because wanted to be able to hear TTRH in my car.....I was quite confused and bewildered and upset when I realized, as I started listening to XM, that TTRH was NOWHERE to be found, it wasn't on at all.......and then, a few weeks after I had bought that car in 2011, they returned TTRH reruns to XM's programming (I remember that those TTRH episodes started re-airing again exactly one day after I had gone to one of Bob's concerts! Go figure...).

Does anyone else remember that lapse of time in 2011 when XM radio was "TTRH-less"? guess we're back to that again....oy

.....makes me very sad to think of all the folks out there who haven't yet discovered this show...people who might really really love it....and I think of all the incredible hard work that Bob and his research crew put into TTRH....such a shame when it's not on XM anymore....guess the only way for folks to hear it now is through Dylanradio or through downloading it illegally.....

:| ahhh but ya know-it's OK...we still have great, quality programming on XM: fine stuff like Ozzy's channel and that 70's station where we can hear "Disco Duck" without end. :x .....(sarcasm) BLEH! This world....yikes! oy vey!

.......like "the indecisive poet" Robert Frost once said, "Nothing Gold Can Stay" :cry:

PostPosted: Fri August 9th, 2013, 14:59 GMT 

I miss "Theme Time", but Bob's too busy.

PostPosted: Fri August 9th, 2013, 15:37 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Here's the schedule on DylanRadio.com - it's on every day. It's a great station to access all of Bob's music.

Quote:
Daily at noon and 10pm station time (Atlantic)

And from Tara-Jane @ Edlis:

Quote:
Well, the EDLIS index has a few entries that might be of use to you and the people asking.

The Index:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fnE ... b99J4/edit

The entry says...

Theme Time Radio Hour:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/bobdylan.TTRH

http://www.notdarkyet.org/themetime.html

http://www.thebobdylanfanclub.com/themetime/

http://www.ttrharchives.org/ [links working? failing 201303]

The Facebook group also has many links and details:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bobdylan.TTRH/files/