Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 21st, 2014, 05:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 3rd, 2010, 11:12 GMT 

Location: In MY office - waiting with YOUR golden opportunity
... how do you people communicate here? And what messages are rejected? And who reads all the stuff and decides? Or are you allowed to post unsupervised after a certain number of posts?

PostPosted: Mon October 4th, 2010, 19:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mister Goldsmith wrote:
... how do you people communicate here? And what messages are rejected? And who reads all the stuff and decides? Or are you allowed to post unsupervised after a certain number of posts?

1. Through insults, innuendo and sexually suggestive gobbledy goop

2. Barely any

3. Thickboy

4. No, no. Blast away!!

WELCOME ABOARD!!

PostPosted: Mon October 4th, 2010, 19:34 GMT 

Location: In MY office - waiting with YOUR golden opportunity
Thanks. After the first eight or so messages it seems I've been considered housebroken and my messages are displayed without delay now. Let's see what I've let myself in for...

PostPosted: Thu October 28th, 2010, 12:44 GMT 

Just want to understand "ground rules" here.....I respect the fact that as a new user you have to make sure my post are legit......but for how long is a new user on probation? It seems that my posts are taking 12 to 18 hours to show up. Is that normal. It would be nice if this could be explained at sign up....it would make it less frustrating to use the forum. It is kind of hard to discuss a topic when your input shows up a day later and after multiple other posts.

I do understand the reason for this ..just wish it was explained.....maybe a welcome new user forum would help us "newbies" get our feet wet...and allow us to earn the right to post in near real time.

PostPosted: Thu October 28th, 2010, 16:10 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I can't speak to the lag time in all your posts but I know I approved a few posts by you in a pretty timely manner a day or two ago. Having to approve posts is a necessary evil and a task we don't like delaying either. But, unfortunately life gets in the way of things here at times.

Hang in there - you're almost out of the woods.

Glad you're here.

PostPosted: Thu October 28th, 2010, 17:02 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I can't speak to the lag time in all your posts but I know I approved a few posts by you in a pretty timely manner a day or two ago. Having to approve posts is a necessary evil and a task we don't like delaying either. But, unfortunately life gets in the way of things here at times.

Hang in there - you're almost out of the woods.

Glad you're here.

Thanks BABF...appreciate the words of encouragement.

Looking forward to learning and contributing here.

PostPosted: Thu October 28th, 2010, 17:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

I find potatoes make the best french fries.

PostPosted: Thu October 28th, 2010, 18:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mister.Jones wrote:
I find potatoes make the best french fries.

I find professional potato chip chefs do it best, which is not to deny your finding.

PostPosted: Wed February 9th, 2011, 16:45 GMT 

I was wondering the same thing, but I understand it's all for the good of the forum so I can live with it for a while until I reach the required post count or whatever. :)

PostPosted: Thu February 10th, 2011, 02:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

WPM wrote:
I was wondering the same thing, but I understand it's all for the good of the forum so I can live with it for a while until I reach the required post count or whatever. :)

once you have made 581 posts you are accepted.

PostPosted: Thu February 10th, 2011, 07:21 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
WPM wrote:

once you have made 581 posts you are accepted.

Good news. I got the email. I can now make posts that do not have to wait in the moderating queue, and my authentic Bob Dylan autographed copy of Blonde on Blonde is in the post. All I have to do is send a cheque of $106,033,290,083.00 US, payable to a Mr. Whitman E. Freudster of the Nigerian National Bank in the post and we're all set.

PostPosted: Thu February 10th, 2011, 12:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

WPM you are the victim of a cruel scam.

PostPosted: Fri August 12th, 2011, 10:34 GMT 

Well, after reading the previous posts, my delay seems next to nothing! I posted about two hours ago and ........nothing! I post on lots of fora and have never had anything happen to me like this before. It's completely ridiculous, because it is impossible to have a dialogue with anyone, when hours pass between communications. It's not even as though I was being abusive! I hope to see something appear very soon!

PostPosted: Fri August 12th, 2011, 11:10 GMT 

juliet43 wrote:
Well, after reading the previous posts, my delay seems next to nothing! I posted about two hours ago and ........nothing! I post on lots of fora and have never had anything happen to me like this before. It's completely ridiculous, because it is impossible to have a dialogue with anyone, when hours pass between communications. It's not even as though I was being abusive! I hope to see something appear very soon!

Y'know, you really shouldn't criticize unless you know what you're talking about... which you don't. The fact is that the moderators are volunteers, live in several different time zones, have a life, and aren't required to oversee the various ER forums 24x7 to satisfy someone's need for instant gratification to see their bon mots in print. After the first three posts that require moderator approval, newbies can post away to their heart's content w/o approval.

If you feel that "completely ridiculous," feel free to return to whatever forae that better addresses your needs.

PostPosted: Fri August 12th, 2011, 11:51 GMT 

juliet43 wrote:
Well, thank you for your very welcoming post! As you will see, this is my fifth post and I am still being approved! Before I actually joined this forum, I couldn't believe my eyes at what rude and abusive posts were posted from a certain member, so what is the criteria here for approval? I would just like to add that, with one or two exceptions, this is by far the most unfriendly forum I have ever posted on! BTW I don't need any gratification for my bon mots!

We pride ourselves on our awfulness. :twisted: As I said, please take my invitation to depart to heart.

PostPosted: Sat August 13th, 2011, 15:22 GMT 
Senior Moderator

juliet43 wrote:

There's a 6 hour time difference between you and me. But, I see you're on your own now. So, this is now a moot point.

The approval process is necessary and assures our members that spam will be caught before it gets to the boards.

We have a good group of folks here. Some can be a bit rambunctous at times, but they're good people. Most people "get" their spiritedness. Hopefully, you'll come to like some of us. If not, I'm sure you'll find other options.

Anyway, everyone is welcome to post & we encourage new users to contribute. Next time, try not to be so critical coming out of the gate. Who knows -you may even grow to like the place.

Last edited by BostonAreaBobFan on Sat August 13th, 2011, 17:13 GMT, edited 4 times in total.
restoring order -unlocked thread and edited my post.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 06:47 GMT 

Thank you, BostonAreaBobFan, for dealing with this situation so promptly. I now understand why there are such long delays between communications and I look forward to many more posts. :)

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 15:39 GMT 
Senior Moderator

No problem - glad we got that straightened out. No hard feelings.

Welcome to ER. :)