Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 23:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 19:44 GMT 
Senior Moderator

procatcher31 wrote:
I know someone who knows Larry Campbell, and essentially he said that Larry just sort of came to the end of his rope. He said that some nights, playing with Bob was euphoric, but other nights it was just plain bad. He said that what Bob said was always final, and that he just got tired of working with someone like that.

Who knows but I wouldn't doubt if something like this came about.

I attended one of Levon's Rambles a last week. It's clear that Larry's happy where he is. He's suited to "band leader" at the Rambles and it looks like he has a lot fun in that role. Each Ramble brings new musical guests. Last week it was Mavis Staples' band.

His wife, Teresa, is in the band and they seem to have a nice working relationship, too. Besides, you got to admit, the pace Bob keeps must be grueling on some of the guys that have been with him a long time.

I think Larry and Levon are lucky to have each other. It's a great professional paring.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 23:46 GMT 

fredsmommy wrote:
DylanEgo wrote:

Last year I saw someone from Bob's team playing with kids outside the tour bus.

That frees my mind a little bit. All I could see was Bob sitting on his bus by himself, not conversing with anyone, just working on music or shows or books. I don't know what his habits are while on tour but having family along would tell me a different story about his life.

At the Birmingham AL Show last year, we were seated way back and up in the balcony, and the security was very strict. There seemed to be one lady assigned to the section we were in, and she had a flashlight, and made it her mission to make sure no one was taking pictures or getting out of line-and she was serious! She was stationed outside the balcony section and checking every detail of anybody coming in and going out. She was friendly though, before the show started. All during most of the concert, the row in front of us was empty, but near the end, a group of older teens came in-girls & boys, and began putting on some kind of performance, which seemed to be an exageration of fan-type appreciation, like holding their arms in the air and locking hands and swaying waaaaay to the left, waaaay to the right, and then the girls would put their hands under their ba-ba s and shake them at each other. It was like a skit, and they stayed there doing it for probably 20 minutes maybe, then went out, and came back again. The security lady didn't say anything to them, even though they came back and did another version of their show at the end- like they were for some reason trying to block the view- very weird. We were near the aisle and I looked back at the security lady standing there with her flashlight but she didn't move, and they left right before everyone else started filing out, and she smiled and said "They're with the show", or something like that. So maybe they were someone's kids who is part of the tour? After that happened, I wondered if there is a homeschool person for the children of the people who travel together, and it's like a little circus world (no pun intended). At the same concert, there was a little lady slipping around in a long, sensible-looking skirt, and she was sweeping down the sidewalk looking at folks coming in, and then she came up in the balcony before the concert and looked all around. Maybe she was their teacher! They needed a little ruler action ::spank, spank:: I wish they had selected another place in the audience for their performance! As for them being related to Bob, they were good-looking kids, but none of them looked like what I would imagine Bob relation to look like.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 23:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

fredsmommy wrote:
I would imagine that Bob"s management takes care of bills and payments, and I think that the bus's are leased, but I'm not sure about Bob"s. I was wondering how many family members come along on tours. The latest book that I was reading says that he usually has a family member with him----that is, if you believe the book.

I rather think that Bob has all the company he wants..... :lol: when he wants it.......I cannot imagine that if he was feeling lonely he would not just give someone a call and invite them along......... besides, he has to have some free time on the bus so that he can come to ER and find out what we are posting about him............ and occasionally post something back to us............ I just cannot image he is the type to spend too much time being bored.......... 8) but just in case he could come out and send a few PM's out and I think there are very few places in the world that he could not find some of the famous/infamous ER ladies that would come to his rescue :wink: by the way Bobkins, I am in Texas...... :P

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 00:03 GMT 

It's really no surprise at all why Larry Campbell left Dylan and is now playing with Levon Helm. Larry gets so much more creative freedom playing with Levon. He's produced 2 Grammy winning Helm albums, is the musical director & featured instrumentalist in Levon's band, has his wife playing/touring alongside him, etc. Larry has said that his career in music has taken him many great places, but playing with Levon Helm is what he was born to do. Levon is, in many ways, a step up from Dylan and the ultimate gig for someone like Larry. Levon performs every type of American roots music with unmatched authority and authenticity, and Larry gets to express himself creatively on any instrument he wants (acoustic/electric guitar, slide guitar, mandolin, fiddle), including singing lead on songs and producing Helm's amazing solo albums. It's a match made in heaven.

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 00:07 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
fredsmommy wrote:
I would imagine that Bob"s management takes care of bills and payments, and I think that the bus's are leased, but I'm not sure about Bob"s. I was wondering how many family members come along on tours. The latest book that I was reading says that he usually has a family member with him----that is, if you believe the book.

I rather think that Bob has all the company he wants..... :lol: when he wants it.......I cannot imagine that if he was feeling lonely he would not just give someone a call and invite them along......... besides, he has to have some free time on the bus so that he can come to ER and find out what we are posting about him............ and occasionally post something back to us............ I just cannot image he is the type to spend too much time being bored.......... 8) but just in case he could come out and send a few PM's out and I think there are very few places in the world that he could not find some of the famous/infamous ER ladies that would come to his rescue :wink: by the way Bobkins, I am in Texas...... :P

Lily, my brother and his friends used to borrow a big station wagon from one of the Dads, and they called it the "make-out bus" So maybe Bob has the real deal? A custom made one at that! :lol: People have written in here that he travels alone- that his manager travels with him-and today that family might. So he'd have to have the back made into the private casbah. I can just picture him with the smoking jacket look

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 04:19 GMT 

He wasn't working with someone like that. He would have been working for someone like that. I'd be pretty sure Campbell understands the difference.

procatcher31 wrote:
I know someone who knows Larry Campbell, and essentially he said that Larry just sort of came to the end of his rope. He said that some nights, playing with Bob was euphoric, but other nights it was just plain bad. He said that what Bob said was always final, and that he just got tired of working with someone like that.

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 07:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sure do miss his BVs :)

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 08:55 GMT 

Quotes from Levon Helm and Larry on the subject:

“I called him the minute [he quit Dylan's band] and told him to come on up. Playing with Bob is a job. Any job is a good job, but being on your own you play twice as much music. That kind of a job cuts off anything else. You don’t have time to entertain any type of opportunity.”

“It is justified, but when you are playing with Bob it is all about Bob,” Campbell says, finishing Helm’s thoughts for him. “When [Dylan] first started doing his thing he was never better than just him and a guitar. And when The Band was backing him up, they sort of became that acoustic guitar, but it was still Bob. Playing with him, that is what it has to be, but here we can all explore other opportunities.”

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 14:38 GMT 

Quote:
“It is justified, but when you are playing with Bob it is all about Bob,” Campbell says, finishing Helm’s thoughts for him. “When [Dylan] first started doing his thing he was never better than just him and a guitar. And when The Band was backing him up, they sort of became that acoustic guitar, but it was still Bob. Playing with him, that is what it has to be, but here we can all explore other opportunities.”

What an unusual thing to say. Can anyone make sense of the bolded portion? Especially the part about the Band becoming Bob's acoustic guitar, but it was still Bob. Do you get the idea that he's mincing words here a bit?

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 17:19 GMT 
Senior Moderator

He's bascially saying that when you are playing with others, you kinda disappear because you're supporting somone else.

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2011, 22:47 GMT 

^ and the boss's word is usually final, no matter what type of employment, or else it would be all Chiefs and no Indians, although anyone with great talent understandably has the need to express it and In the videos I've seen of him playing, he's excellent -but the current Band is SO Good

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 13:08 GMT 

Back to this old topic, i must say that without Larry the band has lost lot of creativity, no wonder
he was more talented than any other guitarists who are playing in the current band.
I miss Larry's sound very very much!
H62

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 13:43 GMT 

Harryx62 wrote:
Back to this old topic, i must say that without Larry the band has lost lot of creativity, no wonder
he was more talented than any other guitarists who are playing in the current band.
I miss Larry's sound very very much!
H62

Hi Harryx62. I with all respect, I have to disagree with you. I am sure Larry Campbell is an awesome musician and added much creativity to Bob's band. I have no doubt about that.
Having said that, after seeing Bob Dylan and his band play at The Beacon Theater last Saturday evening, I can honestly say Bob's band is the tightest, most extraordinary bunch of musicians I have ever had the pleasure of watching perform in my life. However, I was wondering about Larry and his whereabouts while watching them play.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 13:53 GMT 

Larry's gig with David Bromberg at Bush Hall was one of the best shows I've been to this year. Just saying.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 14:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Larry's a free agent now, performing solo, with his wife Teresa Williams and other artists as well as leading the charge at Levon Helm studio/Rambles in Woodstock, NY

There is life after Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 14:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
Larry's gig with David Bromberg at Bush Hall was one of the best shows I've been to this year. Just saying.

One of the best non-Bob ones definitely. I don't think I saw any bad shows this year.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 15:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
There is life after Bob Dylan.

:shock:

Have you lost your mind! I once tried going a week without Dylan at my wife's insistence and lasted almost a day. That may have been one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

I am fairly convinced that had Dylan retired after Knocked Out Loaded the world would be a very different place and as much as I love that album, the difference would not be for the better.

To the topic of the thread:

Larry is an incredible musician who has the ability to accentuate the abilities of whoever he is playing with and he does it without losing himself. His style(s) morphed as he played with Bucky Baxter, Charlie Sexton, Freddy Koella, and Stu Kimball, all accomplished and capable musicians. As good as all of those fellows are, and though he didn't play with him in Bob's band we can throw in Denny Freeman too, I think Larry stands alone in that regard.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 17:01 GMT 

Matt of Constant Sorrow wrote:
I heard from a rather trustworthy source (someone else who has played/recorded with Larry) that Larry left the band but Bob begged him to come back for just a few more shows. Then Bob fired him saying "nobody quits my band".

I don't wanna believe it but i kinda do. The Levon Helm gig seems much more fruitful for Larry anyway. He gets more attention and more chances to play some amazing guitar.

I was actually thinking about this post while driving to the concert. I still wonder if it's true. :(

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 17:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dylan may be hard to work for, even a bit of a knob, but that story is a little hard to swallow...I could see a Dylan saying it as a joke, though.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 17:30 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Dylan may be hard to work for, even a bit of a knob, but that story is a little hard to swallow...I could see a Dylan saying it as a joke, though.

Is he hard to work for? I heard his band members have to follow his every move while playing to keep in time with him. LOL His former drummer said he pays just as well, if not better than top acts on the road.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 17:43 GMT 

It must be hard for them to stay awake on stage these days.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 19:48 GMT 

Larry probably was sick of being second fiddle. Duke Robillard, I'm sure, was fired for upstaging Bob. When I saw him in Lowell, Mass., a couple of years ago, Duke played a superb acoustic lead solo in the middle of "Tangled Up in Blue". The crowd went wild. I'm sure Bob said to himself after the applause "that's it pal - you're out of here! Nobody upstages me!" Sure enough. he was soon off the tour. If you want a very visual display of this, go to this link, Bob and Petty doin "Knockin on H. Door". Bob starts with a harmonica solo, and at 1:11, someone behinds him starts getting tricky with the lead guitar, and Bob drops his right hand off the harmonica and waves behind him to tell the guy to back off. DO NOT UPSTAGE THE KING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPg2M1UYgU

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 23:16 GMT 

Not sure if you're joking or I'm missing something chrome horse. That clip doesn't seem that way to me at all. Sounds more like the drummer and the rest of the band are upping the tempo at 1.07 ready perhaps for the first verse, but Bob signals with his hand that he wants to tease the harmonica solo out a little more and keep the vibe mellow. The whole band immediately check the pace and volume. If Bob's ego were really so fragile as to be worried about being upstaged, why bring people like Tom Petty on board at all?

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 23:33 GMT 

Silly Nelly wrote:
Not sure if you're joking or I'm missing something chrome horse. That clip doesn't seem that way to me at all. Sounds more like the drummer and the rest of the band are upping the tempo at 1.07 ready perhaps for the first verse, but Bob signals with his hand that he wants to tease the harmonica solo out a little more and keep the vibe mellow. The whole band immediately check the pace and volume. If Bob's ego were really so fragile as to be worried about being upstaged, why bring people like Tom Petty on board at all?

Well I guess it's how one interprets it. The band was ramping up, and Bob wanted his harp playing the focal point. And with someone like Petty, who shares lead singing with him, of course he will get to share the light - but the backup musicians - no way.

And if you don't think he's a control freak, read the rules for his touring crew.

About 20 years ago, I had the privilege of filming Carole King in concert - for her. And talk about an ego boost, I'm looking in the viewfinder, with a strong zoom, and she is singing to me! A good friend of mine was managing her tour, and she did a fundraiser for the Democratic party here in NH. I also filmed the rehearsal. During the rehearsal, in one song, the guitar player starting getting more animated in his leads. She got all pissed off and told him to save his "art" for his own band. I'm sure it's a constant type of friction in a lot of bands - dueling egos.

Last edited by chrome horse on Thu December 4th, 2014, 23:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 23:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Silly Nelly wrote:

yeah, the harp solo was probably supposed to end after a designated number of measures, but Bob was feeling it so he held them off while he played on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next