Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 04:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed June 1st, 2011, 22:59 GMT 

Do we want a dvd compilation from 1961 to 2011? Or is it one song that is supposed to be out there and unreleased? What say you.. what is your holy grail?

PostPosted: Wed June 1st, 2011, 23:16 GMT 

Mine is the song "I'm Cold" which he reportedly wrote and performed for some friends around 1977. I think I read it in "Down the Highway" that one of them described it as a very dark and melancholic continuation of the songs on "Blood On The Tracks". It doesn't seem like a recording exists, but if it does, I'd do quite a lot to hear it.

The consensus seem to be that Salt Lake City 1976 is the Holy Grail, the concert where both "Black Diamond Bay" and "Jack of Hearts" were played. Another Holy Grail would be the supersecret rehearsal tapes from 2008 where Dylan effortlessly croons through the Sinatra repertoire in a clear and soaring tenor.

PostPosted: Wed June 1st, 2011, 23:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

It is the cup Bob and the Beatles - John, Paul, George and Bongo - used when they met at the Waldorf in 1965. It is said it possesses miraculous powers.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 00:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

matulah wrote:
Mine is the song "I'm Cold" which he reportedly wrote and performed for some friends around 1977. I think I read it in "Down the Highway" that one of them described it as a very dark and melancholic continuation of the songs on "Blood On The Tracks". It doesn't seem like a recording exists, but if it does, I'd do quite a lot to hear it

The consensus seem to be that Salt Lake City 1976 is the Holy Grail, the concert where both "Black Diamond Bay" and "Jack of Hearts" were played. Another Holy Grail would be the supersecret rehearsal tapes from 2008 where Dylan effortlessly croons through the Sinatra repertoire in a clear and soaring tenor.

I think these songs are out there, but I would wonder if he ever did anything but play them for a few others.... might not have been recorded.

Yeah, this is the one that I want to see.... yes, see..... it is on film...

Holy crap..... I am usually ready to believe he can pull off about anything..... but even I don't quite believe this one is possible..... :?

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 00:23 GMT 

To me i guess it would either the tape that lennen and bob made at kenwood if it exists which i doubt, or
Some sort of 'kissology' but with proper quality discs that arnt dodgy.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 00:25 GMT 

The I'm Cold demoes are probably the most unique thing in the Dylan archives unreleased (presuming it exists). I'd also like to hear a good recording of the 1965 electric tour but I fear one doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 00:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mister.Jones wrote:
It is the cup Bob and the Beatles - John, Paul, George and Bongo - used when they met at the Waldorf in 1965. It is said it possesses miraculous powers.

Five boys, one cup

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 02:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

my own holy grail would be saratoga springs 08... audio and video would just be overwhelming... I'd faint

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 02:46 GMT 

Mine would be Salt Lake City 76, Carnegie Hall '65, the '68 Southern Illinois University encore with The Band, and the '64 Dave Van Ronk tape where Dylan supposedly played I Want To Hold Your Hand.

Also, I think I read that Bob jammed with the members of the Beatles who attended the Isle of Wight show after the show, so if there was a tape of that (probably not), I would certainly like to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 03:27 GMT 

I would love to get my hands on any of this material. Salt Lake City 76 is probably the one I'm most excited about hearing.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 06:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

Professor Henry Jones: The quest for the grail is not archeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 06:40 GMT 

it used to be:

- to hear Visions of Johanna live in concert
- Blind Willie McTell
- songs from The Basement Tapes (before they were officially released)
- Girl On The Red River Shore (which turned out to be a mild disappointment - give that the song was hailed as the modern Holy Grail, the best song form the TOOM sessions etc)

NOW it is (as pointed out before):
Salt Lake City 1976 - still I wonder if there's really a recording and if it is really that great (or just another mild disappointment)

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 06:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
I'd also like to hear a good recording of the 1965 electric tour but I fear one doesn't exist.

it definitely doesn't exist. i'd love to hear a soundboard of Berkley but there is none.

for me the holy grail would be some more chronicles volumes! preferably 10-20 million more

also salt lake city as said by many others

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 07:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't think Red River Shore was a disappointment. It's a very good song, it just didn't fit the mood of TOOM.

A holy grail type thing known to exist would be the complete Bromberg sessions of 1992. Judging by what we have, that's be a great album, though I wouldn't want to be without GAIBTY.

Another thing would be the video of the TOOM sessions as filmed by Lanois' brother.... I think I read that's in the Dylan vaults, too.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 07:47 GMT 

Maybe the Street Legal piano demos. Failing that, the Complete Blonde on Blonde sessions.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 08:04 GMT 

Dylan's recordings and performances are the pinnacle of American popular music. Apart from a few scraps, it's all out there: the official recordings to buy, the bootlegs to download. The 'Holy Grail' exists, and we have it.

Why do people always seem to want more???

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 08:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
Dylan's recordings and performances are the pinnacle of American popular music. Apart from a few scraps, it's all out there: the official recordings to buy, the bootlegs to download. The 'Holy Grail' exists, and we have it.

Why do people always seem to want more???

All of us, at times, we might work too hard
To have it too fast and too much
And anyone can fill his life up
With things he can see but he just cannot touch

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 08:38 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Professor Henry Jones: The quest for the grail is not archeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 08:51 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I don't think Red River Shore was a disappointment. It's a very good song, it just didn't fit the mood of TOOM.

It's surely is a good song, but my point is/was: in relation to the hype that was created about it the song itself is disappointing (maybe expectations were much too high)

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 09:38 GMT 

My Holy Grail is "Something Is Happening 1966 DVD" and that madhouse thing he did in 62

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 10:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

Blu-Rays of the complete Blood On The Tracks and Desire sessions, Hard Rain and Clearwater TV shows, along with expanded version of Renaldo and Clara. Commentary on these will be by Bob himself and all the key players. Audio disk will include sounboards of the best RTR shows, including Salt Lake City.

All this will come in one big mother of a deluxe boxset shaped like the Rolling Thunder hat. And be free.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 11:54 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Blu-Rays of the complete Blood On The Tracks and Desire sessions, Hard Rain and Clearwater TV shows, along with expanded version of Renaldo and Clara. Commentary on these will be by Bob himself and all the key players. Audio disk will include sounboards of the best RTR shows, including Salt Lake City.

All this will come in one big mother of a deluxe boxset shaped like the Rolling Thunder hat. And be free.

This is the most brilliant post ever.

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 13:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

^but of course would require a legitimate about of spelunking to acquire it.

i'm still laughing from Solo's comment.

"Let it go, Indy, let it go"

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 13:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

slewan wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

It's surely is a good song, but my point is/was: in relation to the hype that was created about it the song itself is disappointing (maybe expectations were much too high)

It is quite certain that expectations ran high concerning this. However it isn't clear to me what kind of a revelatory kind of song people did expect. Exactly what would that or any other so-called holy grail have to be to satisfy expectations?

PostPosted: Thu June 2nd, 2011, 13:34 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

This is the most brilliant post ever.

^This^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next