Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 00:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Extra Time on Time Show
PostPosted: Thu February 10th, 2011, 19:33 GMT 

Hello, Just a quick note to ask if anyone has the correct running time for the TTRH Time show from Season 1. The one I imported into my iTunes runs 1:13 and 32 seconds without any closing credits. Did this show have end credits? I read somewhere that this show overran the hour by 17 minutes. Any helpful response would be appreciated. Don't like thinking I may be missing something!
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri February 11th, 2011, 14:41 GMT 

I'll take a look/listen at my archived copy, which I recorded off-the-air, over the weekend and report back. I know that show ran long, I think at least 10 minutes over the normal 60, which I always took as a TTRH joke given the theme. I don't remember whether they ran credits or not, but no credits would be notable for a Season 1 show.

PostPosted: Fri February 11th, 2011, 15:44 GMT 

I actually had a copy at work. :lol:

The version I have, recorded from satellite on October 11, 2006, has Mr. D. reading "Time Long Past" by Timeless Poet Percy Shelley, which goes directly into the full credits, with Pierre Mancini noting at the end that the next show will be "Guns." I have an approximate running time of 73:02 for the full show.

It's worth noting that there are many variant recordings of various TTRH shows, dependent on whether they were "original" or "rebroadcast," who originally recorded them and uploaded them to Hunger City or one of the other torrent sites, and then who converted them to mp3. I have two versions (or more) of shows for several episodes, some with closing credits, some without. There were technical screw-ups in several "original broadcasts" that were later fixed in later rebroadcasts. The most notable of those is Dylan introducing one song and an entirely different one being played, and then Dylan's voice, unperturbed, again referring to the song he never played in his outro.

I distinctly remember hearing that live, but unfortunately that was one of the few shows that I didn't record myself and have never found online. I've forgotten what episode it was - one from Season 1 - and would think I had hallucinated the entire thing, but I had the error confirmed by someone at XM Radio when I was doing interviews for my abortive book. According to my source, Eddie Gorodetsky, who used to listen to the shows "live" at 7 am his time was furious when he heard the glitch, called XM, and had them reprogram the computers before the next broadcast.

That, and the recording - which may be apocryphal - of Dylan doing a test version of the show with Gorodetsky - are the two Holy Grails of TTRH that I've yet to obtain. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat February 12th, 2011, 05:12 GMT 

Wasn't that the Moon Mullican song on Friends that didn't get played right the first time around? It went to a quote from Muhammed Ali "two ways of saying the same thing". Or maybe I'm wrong.
Also - as for the Dylan test, more information, please. Never heard about that one.

PostPosted: Sat February 12th, 2011, 14:47 GMT 

AWA wrote:
Wasn't that the Moon Mullican song on Friends that didn't get played right the first time around? It went to a quote from Muhammed Ali "two ways of saying the same thing". Or maybe I'm wrong.
Also - as for the Dylan test, more information, please. Never heard about that one.

It could well be. As I said, I had forgotten about and probably wouldn't have thought of it again except that I heard about the incident several times. It was apparently a sore point with the TTRH crew.

As to the test recording(s), as I said, it may be apocrypha, as I only heard about it from one source. What I did hear during several interviews was that their first try at the show sounded horrible, not from a Dylan reading perspective but from a Dylan sound quality perspective, and they went back and re-recorded the first two shows with new recording equipment (switching from XM-supplied Edirol to their own Sound Devices equipment, for those interested in the hardware). My single source said he had heard a pre-edit review copy of one of those first attempts that "sounded like it had been recorded at someone's house," and that you could hear Eddie G. and Mr. D. working out Dylan's commentary together. I tend to take the story with a grain of salt, since I also heard repeatedly that the TTRH crew was protective to the point of paranoia over copies of the show and that all any DC-based XM personnel ever got to hear were final-edited versions, but it's possible. I'm not sure all the protocols to protect the mystique were entirely in place during the early days of the show and, in fact, something like that story might have been the trigger for them to put up all the walls to make sure it never happened again.

Lee Abrams told me a very funny story about having to convince the XM Radio bean-counters that a deal with Dylan made sense. Every internal meeting about the proposed contract became a battle, with the suits wielding long knives and asking innocently, "Is Bob Dylan relevant anymore, especially to radio? Does anyone besides 50-year-olds even remember him?" One person said that if they were going for celebrities they should bring in Kelly Clarkson rather than Dylan. Another proposed that Dylan provide a demo tape before XM signed the contract, a thought that almost caused Abrams to drop stone-cold dead right there in the conference room. "Bob Dylan doesn't do auditions," he snapped. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat February 12th, 2011, 15:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Man, it wish you'd got to release that book. Any chance to circulate any of your research material privately?

PostPosted: Sun February 13th, 2011, 15:17 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Man, it wish you'd got to release that book. Any chance to circulate any of your research material privately?

Thanks for the kind words, JP. The way I'm going, much of the research will end up in the forums anyway. :lol: In any case, hope springs eternal; I still have the occasional conversation with the people behind TTRH; rumors like the TTRH "riffs" book are encouraging; and who knows? Things change. "Dreams, Themes and Schemes" - or a version of it - may still someday see the light of day.

PostPosted: Sun February 13th, 2011, 16:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

I really hope so. There are so many Dylan books out there.... yours and the official one wouldn't necessarily have to compete, many people would get both of them anyway.

I know you've posted lots of TTRH information around here - it'd be good to have it all in one place though.

PostPosted: Wed February 16th, 2011, 22:09 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I really hope so. There are so many Dylan books out there.... yours and the official one wouldn't necessarily have to compete, many people would get both of them anyway.

I know you've posted lots of TTRH information around here - it'd be good to have it all in one place though.

I agree! I think a book like this would be great! It seems like you have a great deal of knowledge and information, and a book like that would be invaluable!! Hope to get my hands on a copy one day :D