Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 14:17 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 17:54 GMT 

kalekebab wrote:
Lone Pilgrim wrote:
Each of those songs - with the possible exception, ironically, of 'Senor' - talks about real, tangile human feelings and experiences and does so in a powerful way. Sounds to me that you just have a bee in your bonnet about minor key songs with serious lyrics.

I like lots of songs that might fit the "minor key with serious lyrics" description, I just think that type of song isn't Bob's strong suit. His attempts at this "form" almost always come off as painfully corny melodrama.

But thanks for the arbitrary and ignorant assumption about my tastes!

Sheesh, what a baby. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 17:57 GMT 

I'm just sayin'. No big deal.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 18:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

kalekebab wrote:

You're welcome, man. I am not criticizing your taste, only express my disagreement. If you tell me that "Anybody Seen My Love" is a corny song,.... well, I might agree.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 18:04 GMT 

iamhere wrote:
going to act like Benny boy here and call kalekebab a fool. Not a corny song. want a corny song turn on the radio. also yeah each year he performs this song better and better. It's impossible to duff up the song anyways sense its so good. but i like the thundering music and powerful hard edged voice to it. you probably like Katy Perry music don't you?

I know that you're young and all caught up in serious, grown-up artists like Bob Dylan, so I'm going to take it easy on you and simply posit that, should your ideas about art mature at some point, you'll look back at this post and have a good laugh at your youthful naivete.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 18:06 GMT 

jcastro wrote:
kalekebab wrote:

You're welcome, man. I am not criticizing your taste, only express my disagreement. If you tell me that "Anybody Seen My Love" is a corny song,.... well, I might agree.

That comment wasn't directed at you.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 18:44 GMT 

Easily Dylan's most underrated album, and this is one of the many highlights.

I'm normally not a fan of sax rock, but I make a happy exception in this case.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 19:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

airoff wrote:

I've been re-evaluating 'Street-Legal' (mind the hyphen) a lot lately and find it to be a much more powerful work of doubting paranoia and fear than I had previously thought. 'New Pony', for instance, is one of the best blues songs he's ever recorded. 'Senor' is another highpoint, full of questions that go unanswered until 'Slow Train Coming'.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 19:50 GMT 

The version from Portland Dec. 80 is the definitive version for me. Sung with more warmth and passion than the album version.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 20:16 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
'Senor' is another highpoint, full of questions that go unanswered until 'Slow Train Coming'.

I always thought this too. This song definately seems to be the first indication or warning shot of the change to come.

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 22:15 GMT 

Just asking about that cables/ tables thing. I've always liked that snapshot very well. It goes from a band packing up to Christ going mad in the temple, seems a good order to me but I would love to hear why you think it's a mistake

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 22:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

This is one song he can still sing damn well, even the haters would have to admit it.

It's clearly one of the better songs on Street-Legal (hyphen is for benny) but it's also an example of how Dylan, as performer, has at least some control over which songs are remembered. What if had played Where Are You Tonight 1000 times on the NET instead? Lenny Bruce is another example...

PostPosted: Thu January 20th, 2011, 23:28 GMT 

smoke wrote:
This is one song he can still sing damn well, even the haters would have to admit it.

It's clearly one of the better songs on Street-Legal (hyphen is for benny) but it's also an example of how Dylan, as performer, has at least some control over which songs are remembered. What if had played Where Are You Tonight 1000 times on the NET instead? Lenny Bruce is another example...

I wish he would play changing of the guards. pull that baby out. but he must not feel that strong about it as Senor or others.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 01:42 GMT 

smoke wrote:

Not sure what's meant by "haters" here, but, again, I'm more than willing to recognize the fact that it's one of his better songs performance-wise, and has been for a number of years.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 03:21 GMT 

love the Blue Eyed Boston Boy performance of this. it will make the hairs on my neck stand up everytime I listen to it.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 04:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sounds to me like an "I'm lost" song. Or a "get me out of here" song. It reminds me of All Along the Watchtower, but not as good. I still like it a lot, though. Watchtower's door led to the country life, family life, the simple life. Senor's door opens the way to Jesus and the born again thing.

Roving Gambler posted some nice versions above.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 06:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever heard a truly bad version of the song. Like Blind Willie McTell, the inherent drama of the thing makes it hard to screw up.

smoke wrote:
It's clearly one of the better songs on Street-Legal (hyphen is for benny) but it's also an example of how Dylan, as performer, has at least some control over which songs are remembered.

I dunno about that. Shoving Joey down our throats for years never really improved its reputation :lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 08:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:
smoke wrote:

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever heard a truly bad version of the song. Like Blind Willie McTell, the inherent drama of the thing makes it hard to screw up.

smoke wrote:
It's clearly one of the better songs on Street-Legal (hyphen is for benny) but it's also an example of how Dylan, as performer, has at least some control over which songs are remembered.

I dunno about that. Shoving Joey down our throats for years never really improved its reputation :lol:

'Joey' was one of the best performed songs at the third Brixton show in 1995. If you haven't heard his electrifying scream on those choruses, your Dylan education is sadly lacking.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 09:30 GMT 

I am still to hear much of the mid nineties, Benny. So thanks for the comment, will track down the Brixton show along with a couple of others next.

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 09:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

Nappy wrote:
I am still to hear much of the mid nineties, Benny. So thanks for the comment, will track down the Brixton show along with a couple of others next.

The 'Bob's Full House' boot that documents the 31/3/95 show is absolutely killer stuff mate - you can't go wrong. Has a great Senor too, so its fitting for this thread.

Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33301

PostPosted: Fri January 21st, 2011, 11:46 GMT 

I'd love to hear modern Bob rerecording Señor.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 02:46 GMT 

Thanks for all your thoughts and fantastic versions on this song....especially Roving Gambler's. That Dortmund version is truly spectacular. This thread only proves Senor's greatness for me. Sorry haters...
And I agree that this is one of those special songs that rarely falls flat in a live setting.

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 02:47 GMT 

PS The best cover of this song IMO is Tim O'Brien's amazing bluegrass version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrTG6zMgMc

PostPosted: Sat January 22nd, 2011, 17:55 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
airoff wrote:

I've been re-evaluating 'Street-Legal' (mind the hyphen) a lot lately and find it to be a much more powerful work of doubting paranoia and fear than I had previously thought. 'New Pony', for instance, is one of the best blues songs he's ever recorded. 'Senor' is another highpoint, full of questions that go unanswered until 'Slow Train Coming'.

Agreed. "New Pony" kicks ass...and "Senor'" is brilliant..

PostPosted: Sun January 23rd, 2011, 05:46 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
airoff wrote:

Funny you should say that, as 'New Pony' might be my least favorite song on the album. Guess that just goes to show what a strong collection of songs it is.

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 06:37 GMT 

Just a bump on a thread and a version of this incredible song that must be heard
by any worthy Dylan fan...in fact this whole concert is incredible,
but this distinctive show has our man Bob so connected to his songs, this one in particular, it's as if
he hasn't performed in many a year....

Dortmund Germany
September 15 1987
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9qqsqo