Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed August 20th, 2014, 18:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Syntax wrote:
The article is quite silly. Dylan can't be analyzed in this manner.

But anyway, while I can't tell you what the song is about, I can tell you that it is not about drugs. He said so himself, and it's also quite obvious.

Brilliant- except for the fact that when the song was recorded, the musicians were all under the influence of drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Three legged man wrote:
That song is way down at the bottom of the list for me. I always thought it was stupid. It's just a silly play on words, and it got old for me quickly. It's just a novelty song.

Crap. It's a genius song from a man under pressure, and at the very height of his 24 year old powers. Back to Street Legal with you sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

warehouseyes wrote:
I thought it was about women's outerwear

This is what it's really about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Jim W wrote:
CH, you got a point. I got drunk twice on booze (in my youth) and
it was no fun. But I a-gonna definitely try pot as soon as those
right-wingers get it legallized. I'm anxious to see what the big
deal is.

(I'll still have to make sure my wife doesn't find out, she will
certainly chastize me, she's had lots of opportunity to hone her
techniques over the years and she's very skilled at it.)

Have they legalised sarsperilla (or whatever it's called) in Illinois??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
Three Legged, I'm with you, I never thought much of the song either. He used to do it as one of his encore songs, and it always made me mad, because if you lit up a stick of high test, everyone around you would want some. I'd just toss em' some rocks.

Toss. It's a genius song that kicks off one of the greatest albums of all time. Hang your head in shame boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's Dylan's All You Need Is Love, without the cameras (why wasn't Pennebaker in Nashville for the recording of Blonde on Blonde? What a pity).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

By the way: if you slag off Rainy Day Women, then you ain't a fan of the Bobmeister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:31 GMT 
Eddie: "He's cute, ain't he? Only problem is, he's got a little bit of Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood catches him right, he'll grab your leg, and just go to town. You don't want him around if you're wearing short pants if you know what I mean. A word of warning though: If he does lay into you, it's best to just let him finish."

-- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 2nd, 2006, 23:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Jim W wrote:
Eddie: "He's cute, ain't he? Only problem is, he's got a little bit of Mississippi leg hound in him. If the mood catches him right, he'll grab your leg, and just go to town. You don't want him around if you're wearing short pants if you know what I mean. A word of warning though: If he does lay into you, it's best to just let him finish."

-- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Snappy. (your right-wing leg's jes' fine, duuude :lol: Is it true y'all bombed them Germans at Pearl Harbour?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2006, 00:23 GMT 

some people got their bottoms reddened. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 3rd, 2006, 06:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

2nostalgic wrote:
some people got their bottoms reddened. :)

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2006, 18:54 GMT 
There's a fairly detailed account of the genesis of this song in a biography of Dylan by Howard Sounes (p 203):

"Bob never talked much to the musicians, but late one evening he asked them: 'What do you guys do here?' Moss and the others muttered something about playing golf. 'That's not what I mean. What do (italics in original) you do here?' They realized he was asking what they did to get high. They said they occasionally had a beer. Bob said he had a new song, the lyric of which included the refrain 'everybody must get stoned.' He said, 'I'm not going to do this with a bunch of straight people. We'll send out for something.'"

After they recorded it through once (p 204):

"They were slapping one another on the back and saying what a great song this was going to turn out to be when it was finished. Buttrey put his arm around Bob. 'Hey, Bob, what's the name of this song we're working on?' he asked, facetiously. They had heard 'everybody must get stoned' so many times it seemed obvious this would be the title.
'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35' replied Bob, without a flicker of smile. Furthermore, it had not been a rehearsal. The song was finished. It was released as a single one month later and rose to number two in the charts."

I remember I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard this being played on the radio. It was banned on a lot of stations, but like it or not, it's one of Bob's signature songs.

[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2006, 18:58 GMT 

I deffinatly think it means some1 throwing rocks at people. The voices in the backround sugest that. :twisted:

Does any1 know who the voices in the backround are? Are they just Bob or some1 else? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 4th, 2006, 19:17 GMT 
bdfan wrote:
I deffinatly think it means some1 throwing rocks at people. The voices in the backround sugest that. :twisted:

Does any1 know who the voices in the backround are? Are they just Bob or some1 else? :?:

The voices in the background were studio session men, for the most part. Some were drunk (on Leprechaun cocktails), some were high on pot and some played it straight.

(p 203) "Bob said he wanted a sound like a marching band, but not too slick.... The other musicians decided to swap instruments to give the track the raggedy-march feel Bob was looking for....
"Although he was on the floor, Strzelecki had his head up by a microphone and was braying with laughter. 'I was so stoned, I was laughing through the whole track, man.'"

PostPosted: Wed December 22nd, 2010, 12:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 is a song I can rarely tolerate. Typically the hype or expectations are overblown and the song simply deflates into a lifeless, empty mass... like a punctured balloon.

However, there is one performance, easily the best performance, no holds barred, from the Hammerstein Ballroom - August 20, 2003 when Freddy Koella and Larry Campbell were joined by Andy York (John Mellencamp's guitarist). It rips the roof off the auditorium. This sole performance is an indication of what could have (should have) been all along.

Oh yes... I nearly forgot. The for nearly five years the circulating recordings had some crowd noise and the levels were skewed. A cleaned up, dynamite version is now available and this is one of the incredible gems of 2003. Andy York played on Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues also. Jazz sensation, Chuck Loeb joined Bob and His Band for Watching the River Flow, Things Have Changed, This Wheel's On Fire, Mr. Tambourine Man, and All Along the Watchtower. Tommy "Mad Dog" Morrongiello, Bob's guitar tech, played most of the show, albeit in the background. Unbelievable performance from start to finish!!! An absolutely, positively, Must Have performance.

No person on the planet, nay, in this solar system, should have to live their life without having this show for their daily listening pleasure! It's that good.

Last edited by Untrodden Path on Wed December 22nd, 2010, 12:42 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed December 22nd, 2010, 12:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

^
I always skip it on the boots. Seems to gain some life live when he's joined by guests, like in the one you mention. Or in 1999, when Brian Setzer joined in (with all the horns). Or my favorite-- Konstanz, July 3 1996. The Dave Matthews band came on stage--there's violin and tons of saxophone.

PostPosted: Wed December 22nd, 2010, 12:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

John B. Stetson wrote:
^
I always skip it on the boots. Seems to gain some life live when he's joined by guests, like in the one you mention. Or in 1999, when Brian Setzer joined in (with all the horns). Or my favorite-- Konstanz, July 3 1996. The Dave Matthews band came on stage--there's violin and tons of saxophone.
The Honky Tonk Blues boot with the Brian Setzer Orchestra is the other one that I like. Admittedly, I haven't listen to the Konstanz, July 3 1996 show in a month of Sundays... it will be played today. Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Stetson. As always, you can be counted on for wisdom, direction, and insight.

PostPosted: Wed December 22nd, 2010, 13:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

sheer, calculated silliness

PostPosted: Sun April 29th, 2012, 03:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Finally an arrangement that is half-way decent!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTl4X3R1 ... ure=relmfu

And Bob's guitar work is supreme. He comes to the fore with his palying and singing taking a ho-hum forgetable song and making it a must experience NET hit!

Coupled with the new arrangement of Cry A While, this may be the best NET tour since Spring of 2004. Bob and Charlie seem to be having a tremendous amount of fun playing together and the results are certainly there.

PostPosted: Sun April 29th, 2012, 21:00 GMT 

^ Predictably dreadful. As a matter of interest, how many hours of this crap are you capable of listening to every day? :shock:

The original album version is a wonderful one-off. Wouldn't mind betting it part-influenced/ inspired (even if only subconsciously) the Sgt Pepper eponymous opener, one year later. Mind you, the whole album probably influenced/ inspired Pepper into attempting to be a cohesive entity, and helped usher in the slew of inferior concept albums that would follow. BoB is an entity, a late night party that kicks off with Rainy Day Women, and only reaches its empty glasses, full ashtrays end as the rest of the world is waking up.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2012, 01:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Train-I-Ride wrote:
^ Predictably dreadful. As a matter of interest, how many hours of this crap are you capable of listening to every day? :shock:

The original album version is a wonderful one-off.
Oh dear God, the humanity...

I haven't heard any crap on this tour... actually haven't heard any crap from a tour since the Never Ending Tour began... In fact, from Before the Flood to the present, haven't heard anything I'd consider crap.

Rainy Day Women is generally a "skip" song though. I can't say I ever remember saying I'd like to hear Rainy Day Women tonight and fortunately, have only had to suffer through it once when I've seen Bob. But I wouldn't mind hearing this arrangement. Aside from a few times when he's joined on stage with other musicians, this appears to be the best arrangement he's ever played.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2012, 02:49 GMT 

I really dig the Before the Flood version. That one is so good.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2012, 03:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

In the many times I've experienced it, I must admit, I'm "oh shitting" with a smile. It's tolerable and he's playing it so I try to concentrate on the band, which is usually very good. I'd rather he shelf this one (right next to Leopard). I'm pretty sure that I'm good with never seeing those live again.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2012, 06:30 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
actually haven't heard any crap from a tour since the Never Ending Tour began.

Sorry. Didn't realise you were deaf.