Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 14:27 GMT 

via UPI on the one-time Chief Creative Officer off XM and the man who brought Mr. D. to satellite radio...

Quote:
CHICAGO, Oct. 16 (UPI) -- The Tribune Co. said it accepted the resignation of Chief Innovation Officer Lee Abrams after suspending him for sending sexually graphic e-mail to employees.

Chief Executive Officer Randy Michaels called the e-mail "in extremely bad taste," The Chicago Tribune reported Saturday. It was "the kind of serious mistake that can't be tolerated," he said.

Abrams had earlier apologized for the e-mail that turned out to be the last of a weekly series of in-house memos Abrams routinely sent "in hopes of inspiring them (employees) to reconsider print and broadcast convention," the Tribune said.

In his apology, Abrams said it was meant as an example of what not to do.

The controversy was made all the more embarrassing by a recent New York Times article that appeared before the e-mail was sent that described the culture at the company as similar to a "frat house."

Abrams was suspended without pay last week, before handing in his resignation.

According to other reports, what Abrams emailed was a link to several videos, including a parody newscast from The Onion about a freeway "slut spill." which included, among other things, a scene of a topless woman pouring booze over her breasts (I'm not including the link here, it's easy enough to find through Google). Abrams was known during his tenure at the Tribune Co. for his bizarre email memos of which this over-the-top one was the last. Abrams was also extremely disliked by the Tribune reporter Old Guard. There are several reports of members of various Tribune news offices bursting into spontaneous applause when hearing the news of Abrams suspension.

PostPosted: Sun October 17th, 2010, 14:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

He was forced to resign over sending an Onion article? The same Onion people get for free on streetcorners all over the United States of America?

What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 14:07 GMT 

I'm not defending the decision to dismiss him or Abrams one way or another. Don't have enough information. On the other hand, if an executive at a company I worked at sent a companywide email with a link to an explicit video that included a scene of a topless woman pouring booze on her exposed breasts, and other women fondling and kissing each other, I'd probably question the propriety of said memo, unless I was working at Playboy and the executive was Hugh Hefner. :D

As is usual with this sort of thing, money also probably played a role. The Tribune Co. is in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings and the executive team is trying to hold on to its control. Just a week earlier, an article in the NY Times had reported a "frat house atmosphere" at the Tribune Co.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/busin ... wanted=all

and a Chicago Journalism association had written to the bankruptcy court and Tribune Co.'s management, directors and creditors to declare that it "strongly objects to the culture of offensiveness" it said "marginalized women at the Chicago Tribune."

I've decided to include the link to The Onion parody newsclip, which is below, so people can make their own decision as to how they'd react if they received such a link at work in a companywide email from a senior executive. I can't state strongly enough that the video is NSFW and will be offensive to many...

http://www.theonion.com/video/vh1-reali ... ing,14390/

PostPosted: Wed October 20th, 2010, 22:35 GMT 

oh wow...

well, unlike you, Fred, I enjoy listening to Howard Stern Show. And just the other day Howard mentioned that Lee Abrams was the only executive on XM who was in favor to give Howard a job on their channels. Now I can see that it was most definitely a true story.

being very open-minded person, I still think that it's not acceptable to email this kind of content to your employees. I think it just doesn't help to set a proper working environment. don't think it should lead to immediate resignation, though, but it all depends...

on the other hand, you're right, we don't have enough information.

btw, I tried to email Lee Abrams a link on my Ukrainian Theme Time Radio Hour podcast, but, of course, he didn't respond :)

PostPosted: Sat October 23rd, 2010, 17:26 GMT 

In an ideal world Abrams is right here and society/employer/offended employees are wrong. Clearly the opponents to this email have way too delicate sensibilities and are way too super eager to do a power play to make folks who think differently into major villains.

Abrams mistake was in underestimating the screwed up thinking by probably 75% of society and the eagerness of these people and people in general to lay down their own screwy law and punish those who go against it.

PostPosted: Fri November 5th, 2010, 13:28 GMT 

Lee Abrams released a long, rambling "open letter" in mid-October which can be read in its entirety here...

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... l_bulletin

PostPosted: Fri November 5th, 2010, 15:08 GMT 

Too much "sicko" type behavior has been tolerated by "society" for too long. Was it good that he got the boot, hmmm? YES!