Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 2nd, 2014, 21:15 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quoting Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu August 12th, 2010, 14:13 GMT 

:?: OK, I'm a dunderhead.... :? I've read all the material here on "successful" quoting and had no good result. Everything I've tried to quote comes up in plain text with the brackets, etc., but no "quote box". :cry: I'm using a MacG4 running the latest update of OSX10.4. A clear, step-by-step tutorial would be most welcome. I'm looking for something aimed at the lowest level of intelligence - me. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Quoting Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 04:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

crackerboy wrote:
:?: OK, I'm a dunderhead.... :? I've read all the material here on "successful" quoting and had no good result. Everything I've tried to quote comes up in plain text with the brackets, etc., but no "quote box". :cry: I'm using a MacG4 running the latest update of OSX10.4. A clear, step-by-step tutorial would be most welcome. I'm looking for something aimed at the lowest level of intelligence - me. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

Click the quote button.... then add something to the bottom of what comes up just type any word on there.... don't take anything out.....HIT THE PREVIEW BUTTON.... it won't look right until you look at it in a preview.... It won't go out on the board until you hit SUBMIT so you can just look at it and test run it.... and then once it looks just like you want in the preview ... then hit SUBMIT.... It will look funny in the white box.... but PREVIEW IT.....

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 10:45 GMT 

[quote="Lily Rose"][quote="crackerboy"]:?: OK, I'm a dunderhead.... :? I've read all the material here on "successful" quoting and had no good result. Everything I've tried to quote comes up in plain text with the brackets, etc., but no "quote box". :cry: I'm using a MacG4 running the latest update of OSX10.4. A clear, step-by-step tutorial would be most welcome. I'm looking for something aimed at the lowest level of intelligence - me. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:[/quote]
Click the quote button.... then add something to the bottom of what comes up just type any word on there.... [u]don't take anything out[/u].....HIT THE PREVIEW BUTTON.... it won't look right until you look at it in a preview.... It won't go out on the board until you hit SUBMIT so you can just look at it and test run it.... and then once it looks just like you want in the preview ... then hit SUBMIT.... It will look funny in the white box.... but [u]PREVIEW IT[/u].....[/quote]

If you say so.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 10:47 GMT 

Yeah, that worked out just fine..... :shock: :? :(

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 11:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

crackerboy wrote:
Yeah, that worked out just fine..... :shock: :? :(

mmmm.... forgot to tell you that you can only have two quotes inside of each other at one time.... that last one might have had three.... and that won't work.... try this next one.....

Last edited by Lily Rose on Sat August 14th, 2010, 11:28 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 11:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

try this one..... with nothing else on here but one line

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 13:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lily Rose wrote:

easy peasy - my G4 is running OSX10.3.9 so it aint your computer! go back to lilys one line post, hit the quote button and when it appears in the white box as plain writing with brackets and the words quote and lily rose plus what she wrote take your cursor below all that and past the last bracket. then write "slim tim just taught me all i know" or something and submit it....

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 21:34 GMT 

[quote="Lily Rose"]try this one..... with nothing else on here but one line[/quote] Slimtim just taught all I need to know.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 21:41 GMT 

Hmmmm....

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 21:59 GMT 

cracker, first, just try clicking 'quote' and then 'submit' on my post. Don't type anything at all.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:03 GMT 

MatchStriker wrote:
cracker, first, just try clicking 'quote' and then 'submit' on my post. Don't type anything at all.

It should look like this before you hit 'submit':

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:07 GMT 

MatchStriker wrote:

Then try adding a comment like I've done here. Notice that you do not add anything within the brackets above. it'll look like this:

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:11 GMT 

In other words:

click 'quote'
type beneath it
>click 'preview' first if you want to check it
click 'submit'

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:20 GMT 

^ The reason this one didn't fly is that it is missing the quoting brackets on slimtim's sentence.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:30 GMT 

[quote="MatchStriker"]cracker, first, just try clicking 'quote' and then 'submit' on my post. Don't type anything at all.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:32 GMT 

crackerboy wrote:
MatchStriker wrote:

What the Hell?

Hmmm...I'm at a loss.

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 22:39 GMT 

Clearly y'all can't tell whether I'm following your instructions to the letter. I can assure you I am.
On the attempt to quote slimtimslide above, the quote brackets appear to be present both before and after the material quoted. I started this thread to make another attempt to get the quote thing down, but for me it really isn't that big a thing. Thanks for all your help. I've managed without quoting for three plus years - I'll be just fine. And, thanks again.... :? :)

PostPosted: Sat August 14th, 2010, 23:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

i have a feeling you may be trying to add your comments 'within' what you have quoted from elsewhere - DONT. click your cursor below anything you see on the white box that appears after you click quote on the original messsage (like this one for example from me) DO NOT try and include your comments within the brackets, put them below and seperate from the last place it says "quote" and has a bracket, it doesnt matter how far down, a couple of lines is usual (you can also alter the size of the quote box but dont worry about that now). this is so simple i dont know why its a prob but i'd love to help you get it right (sometimes the same thing has happened to me for no reason so it might be a glitch!) i have a major problem putting pictures here whereas other peeps find it easy so you are not alone in your stupidity. if i can pm an example i will but it may not be tonight yawn hic.....

PostPosted: Mon August 16th, 2010, 21:42 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:

I've changed my settings. Duh, it was the BBCodes disabled that caused my problem. Thanks for all the support and kindness.

PostPosted: Mon August 16th, 2010, 21:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

crackerboy wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:

I've changed my settings. Duh, it was the BBCodes disabled that caused my problem. Thanks for all the support and kindness.

Yes!!!!! Success!!!!! Good Job!!!!