Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 17:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: TTRH commentaries
PostPosted: Tue April 13th, 2010, 18:30 GMT 

I don't know if there's reason to create this thread, since my original cry for help still isn't very popular.
But I'll give it a shot.
So here's the kind of thing I'm going to talk about, for instance:
In episode "Mother" Dylan when talking about Randy Newman said about him: "Always obstinately self-willed, and refusing to concur conform, or submit to the popular trends." For me part of it does sound like some quote from somewhere (Bible?), or is it just sort of figure of speech? 'Cause I was able to find on Google only two sources with exact same choice of words, Here - http://www.rsfgc.org/judas_connection.htm and on books.google in the book "A Request for Divine Inspection" by Clifton Jones. Which led me to nowhere, basically. Any thoughts?

p.s. And don't forget that my main goal is to transcribe all the episodes, even if I wouldn't understand all the hidden or "unhidden" meanings. So don't hesitate to help:) ...By the "unhidden" I mean - "In the sweet by-and-by" is just "later"?.. Well, as I've said, it's not the greatest problem I'm facing...

Post subject: Re: TTRH commentaries
PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 13:55 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:
Any thoughts?

I believe that the likely source for the phrase is a book that is a basic tool that one could expect to find on the desk of any writer, The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus.

The entry for the word "contrary" includes "obstinately self-willed in refusing to concur, conform, or submit."

Check it out: http://books.google.com/books?id=9CDiT8 ... 22&f=false

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 15:09 GMT 

hmm, that's interesting. thank you!

PostPosted: Tue April 20th, 2010, 23:58 GMT 

Maybe this one has been talked about before, but never-the-less:
in episode "Drinking" Dylan while talking about Charlie Walker sounded like he was about to laugh when he mentioned that Walker was a Freemason. I've just noticed that. What so you think? Or am I hearing things?)

PostPosted: Wed April 21st, 2010, 23:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

viktorhlon wrote:
Maybe this one has been talked about before...

Everything on these boards has been, no worries...

PostPosted: Thu April 29th, 2010, 21:49 GMT 

Woody wrote:
Everything on these boards has been, no worries...

Well, I couldn't find such topic...

Anyway, I've got another question. After the episode "Baseball" someone says: "Baseball is known as a relaxing game. But sometimes it can turn your insides out. [...] after a tough one." Does anyone know who's saying that, and what's behind the blank?

Oh yes, and who's the guy after Paul Olden--Tommy Lasorda interview? Or he's just 'some guy?'

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 00:20 GMT 

Well, after a long pause I'm back with two freaky questions.

Does anybody know the title of the song that can be heard in the very beginning of the episode "Friends and Neighbors" under the voice of Ellen Barkin?

Does anyone (or, anyone's parents) have the album "You De a Disc Jokey"? (Episode "Radio" intro)

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 03:18 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:
Does anyone (or, anyone's parents) have the album "You De a Disc Jokey"? (Episode "Radio" intro)

I have that album, do you have any questions regarding it?

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 13:34 GMT 

scottw wrote:

Well, I need that that intro-jingle (Mr. announcer who are you?.. tell me the station I'm listening to..) without Dylan's voice.. I understand, you've got the album on vinyl? Could you somehow record that jingle and share with me? I'm not saying it suppose to be the proper vinyl-rip - I guess it could be just an ok recording from speakers on cell-phone or something.. I'd be ridiculously thankful for that!

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 21:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Interesting stuff!

PostPosted: Wed June 23rd, 2010, 16:28 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:
scottw wrote:

Well, I need that that intro-jingle (Mr. announcer who are you?.. tell me the station I'm listening to..) without Dylan's voice.. I understand, you've got the album on vinyl? Could you somehow record that jingle and share with me? I'm not saying it suppose to be the proper vinyl-rip - I guess it could be just an ok recording from speakers on cell-phone or something.. I'd be ridiculously thankful for that!

See http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/05 ... e-you.html

PostPosted: Wed June 23rd, 2010, 20:59 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

Yes, I've read this, but there's no jingle...)

BTW, don't know if it's interesting for you but take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BII01gn ... _embedded#! - time: 2:16

PostPosted: Thu June 24th, 2010, 14:19 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:
Yes, I've read this, but there's no jingle...)

You could do the same thing as I did for one of my podcasts. I simply edited Dylan's responses out and inserted my own using the free sound editor, Audacity. As I remember, there's enough pause time between the questions to make it a relatively simple job.

PostPosted: Thu June 24th, 2010, 20:25 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

You could do the same thing as I did for one of my podcasts. I simply edited Dylan's responses out and inserted my own using the free sound editor, Audacity. As I remember, there's enough pause time between the questions to make it a relatively simple job.

Well, yes, I was going to, and I did similar things before - I'm using Cool Edit Pro - but, I figured to give it a try: what if someone would actually make a digital copy of that jingle, or even the whole album:) I'd love to listen to it..

PostPosted: Wed June 30th, 2010, 02:46 GMT 

While there's no definitive answer on my precocious question(s), I'll throw couple more:

Episode "Summer"

Gladys "Fatso" Bentley - it was a woman, right? so why Dylan referring to her "he"? am I hearing wrong, or that's because she was a lesbian?

I'm REALLY stumbled upon this jingle, time: 18:23, please, someone, help me out at least with this!
["Summertime, and ??????????? When I tune to my favorite show, the listening is great when I’m grouping with my radio. All systems go, swinging summertime, on my favorite show...”]

PostPosted: Thu July 1st, 2010, 22:02 GMT 

Come on people! These aren't very difficult questions, are they? (2nd one precisely)

PostPosted: Fri July 9th, 2010, 09:38 GMT 

Hmm, that's weird. Looks like version of this episode "Flowers" that can be found around on the Internet doesn't have this: [Commercial clip – Singers: “You’re so much wiser to buy fertilizer where you get the best in price and quality!” Announcer: “Yes and there is a difference in the price and quality of fertilizer! See us for the best in both! ]

PostPosted: Fri July 9th, 2010, 09:52 GMT 

My bad. There are versions with that ad...

PostPosted: Fri July 9th, 2010, 19:26 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:
I'm REALLY stumbled upon this jingle, time: 18:23, please, someone, help me out at least with this!
["Summertime, and ??????????? When I tune to my favorite show, the listening is great when I’m grouping with my radio. All systems go, swinging summertime, on my favorite show...”]

"Summertime and the listening's easy.."

PostPosted: Fri July 9th, 2010, 19:54 GMT 

silver reynard wrote:

"Summertime and the listening's easy.."

Thank you! Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon July 12th, 2010, 17:20 GMT 

To Fred@Dreamtime

From The Annotated "Flowers"

“During the Fifties, he made a collecting tour with Liam Clancy and together they found a whole bunch of blues, ballads and gospel music. I don’t know if this one was among 'em, but it sure is a great song.”

“Bonny Bunch of Roses” was collected by Clayton on that trip in the summer of 1956 and released on his 1957 album, "American Broadside Ballads in Popular Tradition."

Isn't it really "British Broadside Ballads in Popular Tradition"?

PostPosted: Mon July 12th, 2010, 18:00 GMT 

viktorhlon wrote:

It could be. It's one of life's little mysteries. It appears that the same album was issued by Folkways under two different label numbers, and possibly two different titles as both Folkways FA 2378 and F 8708. See http://www.well.com/user/johnross/disco ... layton.htm

I can find references to the titles of either being referred to as "American..." and alternately as "British...." No matter the country, the playlist remains the same.

I went by what seemed to be the definitive discography of Paul Clayton's on the Web at http://www.wirz.de/music/claytfrm.htm which you'll note uses the "American" title although displays the "British..." cover to make things even more confusing.

In any case, this ain't, as Mr. D. once put it, a classroom. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue July 13th, 2010, 01:03 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
viktorhlon wrote:

It could be. It's one of life's little mysteries. It appears that the same album was issued by Folkways under two different label numbers, and possibly two different titles as both Folkways FA 2378 and F 8708. See http://www.well.com/user/johnross/disco ... layton.htm

I can find references to the titles of either being referred to as "American..." and alternately as "British...." No matter the country, the playlist remains the same.

I went by what seemed to be the definitive discography of Paul Clayton's on the Web at http://www.wirz.de/music/claytfrm.htm which you'll note uses the "American" title although displays the "British..." cover to make things even more confusing.

In any case, this ain't, as Mr. D. once put it, a classroom. :lol:

Mysterious indeed... BTW, talking about your annotated transcript of "Flowers" (which is great, I gotta tell you. If you'd only kept putting those on... my life would be so much easier:) ): I've spotted two minor mistakes (maybe I'm not to first, but probably the first to tell you):
1. "That was “Tip-Toe Through the Tulips” by Tiny Tim, a song that sold over 200,000 copies. In 19 and 68 when Tiny Tim got married..." Commentary: "In 1969 [not 1968, as Dylan mistakenly says] in front of an estimated 40 million viewers, he would marry Victoria May Budinger..." --- Dylan said 1969 referring to the year of “Tip-Toe Through the Tulips” release, not to marriage on Johnny's show.

2. "British disc jockey John Peel called her album, “Not the Tremblin’ Kind, “…my favorite record from the last 10 years… and possibly my life.” “When the Roses Bloom Again,” Laura Cantrell." --- You've missed one sentence here, should be: ....possibly my life.” Here's the title track from her second album “When the Roses...

And one more thing - not requiring your answer - just me thinking aloud: "Ellen Deweese [sic, actually “Loise”] Wilson" - it's really weird but in this care I'm clearly hearing Mr. D saying “Loise” - well, a bit of "Loizze."