Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 02:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat April 17th, 2010, 18:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

CShoe wrote:
To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!

PostPosted: Sat April 17th, 2010, 18:08 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
At the Berlin 2002 show he sang, "I wish my parents were still alive." Its the first variation I remember hearing. It really struck me because of the way he sang it.

Yeah, I shall track that down.

PostPosted: Sat April 17th, 2010, 20:44 GMT 

Warren Peace wrote:
CShoe wrote:
To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!

How does this Moby-Dick analogy account for the fact that it is generally you who are engaged in a Quixotic quest to engage and conquer all those who have anything negative to say about anything Bob Dylan has ever done?

I mean, sure, I respond to the stupid things you say fairly regularly--but that has more to do with the frequency with which you say stupid things than it does about my desire to respond to them.

Songs like this are, like, ...if even ONE band member doesn't care about with performance, it just crashes. But if ALL band members care about the performance--it results in an artistic expression the likes of which earth has never played host to!!

:lol:

Sally forth!

PostPosted: Sat April 17th, 2010, 22:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Is he mad? Anyway, there's something on his mind, as sure as there must be something on a deck when it cracks."

PostPosted: Sat April 17th, 2010, 22:52 GMT 

"A well-fed, plump Huzza Porpoise will yield you one good gallon of good oil..."

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 00:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

CShoe wrote:
"They think me mad -- Starbuck does! But I'm demoniac, I am madness maddened! That wild madness that's only calm to comprehend itself!"

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 07:14 GMT 

A tremendous creation, the centerpiece of the album IMO, and the one that may stand up to the testament of being his finest blues song. Its intertwining of fact and fiction, time periods, funny & f'd up, its feelings of pride and strength as well as fear and ,of course, loneliness lay bare the soul of Bob Dylan. The first time it truly hit me how incredible the song was, I knew immediately the song would stand the test of time and would only get better. Charlie & Larry owned the song and it was always a powerhouse. In fact, watch that Cardiff performance from 02 that Shitjoy posted...unreal. (Thanks SJ)

Untrodden Path wrote:
I haven't heard one since 2004 that I care to save for posterity. Anything from 2004 and prior will dependably be great.

You are missing out on some even better performances than pre-04. By 05, he changed the key and kicked it a little faster essentially borrowing Leopard Skin. But it needed a kick in the ass with the new lineup and it grew from there...
Besides the ones posted here (that Warscawa is just shockingly good, I'd throw it against anything pre-04), I'd add Tucson 07 and of course many from last year, a good year for the song. He finally let Denny off the leash full time and cut loose again with the song Dayton being a great example.

However, I was so blown away by the song when they pulled it out at Charlie's debut in Seattle, easily the finest I'd ever heard. Charlie tore it up as if he'd been itching to play it since he left. Yet it wasn't the same song, it was a new beast to tame:) An incredible version.
Now as strong as that was, I'm not so heady to think that that was the best.

The next one in Rockford was even better...

October 27 2009
http://rapidshare.com/files/377189787/L ... s.mp3.html

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 13:30 GMT 

Bob's delivery on that performance is the same breathless, unsupported barking that adorns just about everything he plays these days. The Warszawa 2008 performance is better, but not dramatically--it sounds a bit like it did in 2005, freshly neutered, with a few vestiges of fight flashing here and there. Back in 2001-2004ish he roared on this song just about every time it was played. I don't see how the more recent performances can even begin to hold a candle. Are we using some kind of handicap system that I'm not aware of?

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 16:07 GMT 

Great rocking tune..love the live version on tts.. but the album version rocks as well.

PostPosted: Sun April 18th, 2010, 17:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

CShoe wrote:
Back in 2001-2004ish he roared on this song just about every time it was played. I don't see how the more recent performances can even begin to hold a candle. Are we using some kind of handicap system that I'm not aware of?

I haven't heard the performance being discussed here, but as someone who likes quite a few post-2004 versions I guess I'll say this: that original roaring arrangement was great, but there other facets to the song, other ways of playing it - there's no sense looking for the qualities you liked about an arrangement they don't play anymore. I'd be pretty bored with it if they still played it that way, even if his voice sounded the same as in 2001.

This song is so good I almost always like it. I love the lyric. I don't get Harmonica Al's perspective at all on this one, it just washes over you and there are so many great lines, images and language (whether it's taken from Virgil or Mark Twain or Howdy Doody) that the fact that it doesn't present a coherent "narrative" just seems irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 05:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Y'know what I'd love to see him do? Take a quiet, stripped down "Visions Of Johanna"-esque approach to the song. Like Smoke said, he's already conquered "roaring rocker" mountain with it, he might as well go the completely opposite direction. It would either fall apart or be completely brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 05:38 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I haven't heard one since 2004 that I care to save for posterity. Anything from 2004 and prior will dependably be great.

Please listen to Brixton Academy (3rd Night) 2005!

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 12:48 GMT 

smoke wrote:
that original roaring arrangement was great, but there other facets to the song, other ways of playing it - there's no sense looking for the qualities you liked about an arrangement they don't play anymore.

I'd buy this argument if applied to other songs, but not this one. Lonesome Day Blues? The arrangement/tone/mood of this song has changed very little over the years, aside from minor tweaks to key, tempo, etc. If he was now playing the song in a low-key, gentler arrangement, like Warren says, "looking for the qualities you liked about an arrangement they don't play anymore" would be senseless. But that's not the case. It's played more or less the same way it has been all along.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 13:34 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Listening to this one as I type... Much better than the more recent performances posted in this thread. You can tell that Bob still has some say in what comes out of his throat.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 13:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

CShoe wrote:
If he was now playing the song in a low-key, gentler arrangement, like Warren says, "looking for the qualities you liked about an arrangement they don't play anymore" would be senseless. But that's not the case. It's played more or less the same way it has been all along.

It is played more low key - though not stripped down as far as Warren suggests, it's got more swing and less roar.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 14:55 GMT 

I would say that the word "swing" describes primarily the band/instrumental accompaniment, while "roar" describes Bob's vocal. If Lonesome Day Blues is more "swing" than "roar" these days, I'd take that to mean that the focus has drifted from Bob to band, which, in a general sense, is not a favorable development.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 16:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

A vocalist can swing too, a really great one can even make the band sound swinginger than they actually are.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 16:45 GMT 

I defy you to explain how Dylan's vocal on either of the more recent performances "swings" in any meaningful sense of the term.

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 17:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nappy wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Got it and I'll be the first to agree, the London 2005 residency is an exception... in every way. Great shows...great performances which, when looking back over the Fall and Summer 2005 shows, seem to come from nowhere. Creative setlists and the band was on fire for nearly every note. I was so-o-o-o-o looking forward to the Spring 2006 tour when those Brixton shows became available...

PostPosted: Mon April 19th, 2010, 19:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

CShoe wrote:
I defy you to explain how Dylan's vocal on either of the more recent performances "swings" in any meaningful sense of the term.

I think we're finally at loggerheads - it swings to me, but that probably doesn't mean much to you :lol:

PostPosted: Thu December 30th, 2010, 15:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Worth a listen (and saving for a blistering performance) is the March 24, 2004 from Boston. Larry Campbell and Freddy Koella masterfully work this one and Bob's vocal blues are edfinitely in synch with their playing.

Nobody should have to go through life without hearing this one...

It's that good!

PostPosted: Thu December 30th, 2010, 15:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nappy wrote:

Rochester 2004 is THE definitive version in my book.

I'll second that. But as mentioned here, this song was played well in the early 2000s--there are a lot of strong versions.

PostPosted: Thu December 30th, 2010, 15:55 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
Nappy wrote:

Rochester 2004 is THE definitive version in my book.

I'll second that. But as mentioned here, this song was played well in the early 2000s--there are a lot of strong versions.

I'll also give kudos to the Rochester version as well. That show also has my favorite "High Water" as well as one of the best ever "Visions of Johanna" and a great "Dignity."

PostPosted: Thu December 30th, 2010, 20:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nappy wrote:
Possibly Bob's best blues song.

Rochester 2004 is THE definitive version in my book. He sounds possessed.

the whole show is perfect. even standing in the doorway is awesome even though he mucks up the opening line!

PostPosted: Fri December 31st, 2010, 02:17 GMT 

Here's the much talked of one from Rochester 2004, a truly outstanding version:
November 13 2004
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aa8a8x

And I still say that the one I posted from Rockford 2009, is as bad-ass as they come. I've come to truly love the weird duets of Charlie's guitar and Bob's organ:)

October 27 2009
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qymzp4