Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 10:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon January 25th, 2010, 16:17 GMT 

I should note that I have clearance from Karl Erik to promote the following.

"Night Time in the Big City: Stories From Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour" is a book with a focus on the stories behind the stories Bob Dylan told on his satellite radio show. For example, why Elvis wanted to be Dean Martin, how did Phil Silvers end up writing "Nancy with the Laughing Face," who really wrote "Rum and Coca-Cola" and so on.

"Night Time in the Big City" as having three distinct sections... Dreams, Themes, and Schemes. "Dreams" will be the stories behind the stories; "Themes," facts about the shows themselves, and "Schemes," background on how the show came to be and how it was put together.

I've been working on the book since mid-2009, using as the foundation the blog I created in 2006 to document Theme Time. Unfortunately, as I suspected, I haven't been able to generate any interest from agents/publishers about "Night Time in the Big City," who, if responding at all, noted in one way or another that they felt the book would only be of appeal to a niche market. If I had been able to get Mr. D. on board, it probably would have been another story. Believe me, I tried. :)

So, I've decided to go the self-publication route. I'm looking for $5,000 in funding for and publishing and marketing costs, especially the latter to make "Night Time in the Big City" more than a vanity project and for licensing fees (for example, I'm trying to get approval from Grey Water Park to reproduce the TTRH logo) Based on the feedback I've received, I think it's a goal easily attainable.

I'm using kickstarter.com to conduct a pledge drive to raise that $5,000. You can learn more about the project, the different premiums I'm offering for those pledging and more about Kickstarter here...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208 ... ob-dylan-0

Whether you're interested in funding "Night Time in the Big City" or not, I encourage you to explore Kickstarter and the various projects there. To me it's a great way of funding creative ideas and endeavors which may be of limited commercial appeal and have little chance of becoming reality otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon January 25th, 2010, 17:55 GMT 

I think you made a nice presentation for your "Night Time in the Big City"-project.
I hope the "Themes" section will contain a reference list of every song played in the TTRH show.
And it is good that you decided for smaller donations too.

I think your next book will be about how you once saved Tom Waits from arrest then... :D

Thumbsup for Night Time in the Big City!

PostPosted: Mon January 25th, 2010, 18:01 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
I've been working on the book since mid-2009, using as the foundation the blog I created in 2006 to document Theme Time. Unfortunately, as I suspected, I haven't been able to generate any interest from agents/publishers about "Night Time in the Big City," who, if responding at all, noted in one way or another that they felt the book would only be of appeal to a niche market. If I had been able to get Mr. D. on board, it probably would have been another story. Believe me, I tried. :)

If only Eddie Gorodetsky would realise how a few kind words would help the project... :(

PostPosted: Mon January 25th, 2010, 20:05 GMT 

schnittstelle wrote:

If only Eddie Gorodetsky would realize how a few kind words would help the project... :(

For their own reasons, mostly I think a desire to keep the mystique of the show intact, the inner circle behind TTRH declined to be interviewed or provide any info for "Night Time in the Big City." As I was told, "the door to Studio B was closed." On the other hand, as adamant as they were about that -- and I tried everything I could think of to convince them otherwise -- they were supportive in their fashion. We had a fundamental difference in opinion in that they wanted to preserve the illusion of Studio B, where I wanted to talk about how a small group of extraordinary people led by Bob Dylan revived the magic of radio for a short time.

They may be happy with the book when it's published, but more likely not. My impression was that the only way I could make them totally happy was, if not to drop the project altogether, was remove any reference to the show's actual creation and production, and that I wasn't willing to do. But, in my own fashion, I've tried to not to spoil the magic.

PostPosted: Mon January 25th, 2010, 21:47 GMT 

Very interesting Fred@Dreamtime. I can understand their point of view as long as they had this in the pipeline:
Attachment:
31pt3o+vd9L._SL500_AA180_.jpg

You know the book that never was going to be... and that they wanted to keep the magic.

I'm sure your book will be fascinating to read. So, dear Expecting Rainers, let's kickstart this project into reality!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue January 26th, 2010, 03:18 GMT 

I have great pleasure in donating $100 to kickstart Fred's book!

Pierre

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 14:23 GMT 

A report for those TTRH fans who are still cruising the forum. I've passed the 50 percent mark on my Kickstarter book project with two months to go. For those backing the project who haven't gone to the Kickstarter page in a bit, and for those thinking about pledging, this week's special offer is that my backers get to vote on the next TTRH show I transcribe with commentary over at Dreamtime, and possibly to be included in Nighttime in the Big City (I'm planning on transcriptions of at least one show from each season, just haven't decided which shows to usre yet).

So far I've done "Weather," "Flowers" and "Days of the Week." What show would you like to see transcribed next? What's your favorite? What pithy comment from Mr. D. had you going, "I want to know more about that?"

Become a backer of "Night Time in the Big City and add your comment here and I'll pick either the show that gets the most votes or - in the case of a tie - have the Top Cats randomly select one.

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 15:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

I wish you the very best of luck, sadly i suspect no series 4 though. One question - how did you save Tom Waits from arrest?

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2010, 15:32 GMT 

Appreciate that Slim, as I do the support everyone has noted here...

As to me and Mr. Waits, the full story is here. Scroll down a bit to the next-to-last post...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34454&p=695924#p695924

... my closest brush with fame :lol: although as I note over at Kickstarter, I had an ah, encounter with Johnny Rotten, who had become enthralled with my wedding ring and attempted to make off with it. :?

PostPosted: Sat March 13th, 2010, 00:38 GMT 

Very sad to learn that the Kickstarter project for Night Time in the Big City has been canceled. :(
Only $410 away from the goal which would have been reached easily in the remaining days.

I hope Fred is ok.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088470855/night-time-in-the-big-city-stories-from-bob-dylan-0/posts/8533

PostPosted: Sat March 13th, 2010, 14:58 GMT 

I'm fine everyone, thank you, and thank you for your kind words and support. I won't be talking further about the project's cancellation past what I've already written on Kickstarter. I hope everyone understands and respects my wishes.

Best regards,

Fred