Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 21:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 2nd, 2010, 16:54 GMT 

What is this supposed to be?

http://www.amazon.ca/Bob-Dylan-Untitled ... 1416592709

PostPosted: Sat January 2nd, 2010, 17:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

We only have to wait 11 months to find out!!

It says "written by Bob Dylan" yet the book looks like it could easily be the same stuff (or similiar stuff) to what was said about various songs on Theme Time Radio Hour...then again it could be nearly anything.

PostPosted: Sat January 2nd, 2010, 18:23 GMT 

Some more info about that one: http://www.dreamtimepodcast.com/2009/09 ... um-ah.html

Quote:
Fred@Dreamtime:

This was posted on the ER News page a few weeks back, but I forgot to mention it here.

The TTRH Compendium book, which has been listed on Amazon since 2008 has had a title change to, "Bob Dylan Untitled Christmas Book," and with a changed release date of "November 1, 2011." You'll note if you go to the Amazon page that it still uses the TTRH Compendium cover mockup.

If I had to make a guess, this is simply a placeholder by Amazon for a book that may or may not get published and may or may not have anything to do with TTRH if/when it does get published. I know something of the background of the original Compendium. Dylan - or more accurately, Grey Water Park Productions - was originally contracted to do the book but it was eventually decided that they couldn't do the book they wanted to do in the time frame that Simon and Schuster wanted, which was for a Christmas `08 release.

That begs the question of why they didn't move on and ready it for the Christmas `09 season, and for that question I don't have a specific answer. My impression was that Dylan's camp had its attention turned towards other projects by late 2008 and from their perspective TTRH was already a closed book (no pun intended). There was also probably a feeling that the book would have had a wider audience while TTRH was still airing new episodes, which it still was in 2008 to early 2009, but not after it went into reruns.

I don't know what the planned content for the Compendium was - I'm not sure the book ever got to the content stage - but at its advertised 176 pages I suspect it would have been a piece of ephemera similar to the Bob Dylan Scrapbook, probably a good Christmas present for the Dylan fan in your family, but probably not a big seller after the holidays. Like the Scrapbook, it probably would have been remaindered a few months after publication.

There was also some talk in the Dylan camp about a series of "Theme" books, too, tying into the TTRH franchise. Again, I don't know whether that idea has been back-burnered or abandoned altogether. It's possible that the "untitled Christmas Book" might be the first of those theme books. It's just as possible that being contracted to eventually deliver a book, Dylan's people said, "Yep, yep. We'll have that book for you Real Soon Now - sometime between now and when the delivery date expires in 2011."

Here is a link to the original Simon & Schuster press release: http://rapidshare.com/files/329349177/CT11_427730.pdf

PostPosted: Sun January 3rd, 2010, 16:28 GMT 

Quote:
Here is a link to the original Simon & Schuster press release:

Rapidshare is sometimes difficult to access. The full 102-page catalog can be found in PDF format here...

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/imprint ... 427730.pdf

For those not willing to download the full PDF, here's the relevant (Page 32) page's text content detailing the book that wasn't...

Bob Dylan

Theme Time Radio Hour Compedium

Themes, Dreams, Schemes

Bob Dylan, “one of the most important Americans of the twentieth
century” (Life magazine), elaborates on favorite themes from his
XM Satellite Radio show, Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour.

• An ever-growing audience: Notoriously private, Bob
Dylan commands a huge, devoted audience, both on stage
and on air. Demand for his work is boundless: his “Never
Ending” tour played almost a hundred shows last year. His
subscription-only satellite radio show, which debuted in
2006, consists of fifty original shows each year and is one of
XM’s most popular programs. XM will support the book.

• A personal compendium: Dylan’s radio show covers
themes as varied as baseball, flowers, women’s names,
and sleep and reflects his profound knowledge of music,
poetry, and american culture. In this book the elusive
icon elaborates on his favorite themes and offers a rare
opportunity for fans to learn more about his personal
interests and music inspirations.

• Package: Fully illustrated throughout with four-color
images and album art, the book captures the kaleidoscopic
appeal of Dylan’s radio program, and the legend himself.
The Theme Time Radio Hour Compendium is must-have
memorabilia for Dylan enthusiasts of every generation.

The page includes some press quotes lauding Chronicles and The Bob Dylan Scrapbook and a sidebar with marketing and publication info. The marketing campaign would have included ads in the NY Times and XM promotion.

Fwiw, I still think that at a meager 176 pages the Compendium would have been a piece of fluff disappointing to most TTRH fans... but I'm prejudiced. Pity that I didn't get the opportunity to work on it.

If you've seen today's ER news page, you'll note a link to Dreamtime and The Annotated "Weather" Theme Time Radio Hour - Episode 1 Being a Compleat Transcript with Commentary. In some ways that would have been my take on a Compendium.

PostPosted: Fri February 5th, 2010, 15:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Man, he just keeps giving and giving...

PostPosted: Sat February 6th, 2010, 02:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

If this is as good as Christmas In the Heart, I recommend a copy for every member of the family... along with Christmas In the Heart, of course.

They'll know you really love them! :D

PostPosted: Sat February 6th, 2010, 07:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

I have to wonder if the final page will be a big pop-up page of the word AMEN..... :lol: :idea:

PostPosted: Sun March 21st, 2010, 22:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

What is the delay with this? Christmas? This looks to me like it has nothing to do with Christmas?