Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 2nd, 2009, 18:04 GMT 

Randy Lewis's "First Listen" article in yesterday's LA Times an interesting comparison of Mr. D's "Must Be Santa," with the fairly obscure "Texas Rock-Polka" group Brave Combo's version from their equally obscure 19 and 91 album “It’s Christmas, Man!” calling the former "directly inspired" by the latter.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... heart.html

And even more interesting, Chris Willman, over at the "Pepsi Music blog" had this to say...

Quote:
I was most delighted by Dylan's take on the rarely covered "Must Be Santa"—a polka, and probably the fastest-paced thing Bob has recorded in his 48-year career. The exact style of it was surely influenced by a recording of the song made in the early 1990s by Texas group Brave Combo; as hardcore fans have noted, Dylan played that cover on a Christmas edition of his XM/Sirius satellite radio program...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/programs/pep ... christmas/

Mr. D. did play Brave Combo's "Must Be Santa," on the Christmas/New Year's show commenting, "...“They say their mission is to expand the musical taste of their listeners. We have the same mission here on TTRH” Interestingly, Brave Combo also backed Tiny Tim on one of his last recordings.

Reporters Willman and Lewis may both be rabid Brave Combo fans for all I know, and perhaps made the connection independently. But, I think that the "Dylan rep." who held the listening party for the reporters was a certain TTRH associate producer who was feeding them some background for their stories, a very usual and acceptable practice in journalism. Thus, we have in all the articles I've read to date the snippet that Mr. D.'s version of "Here Comes Santa Claus" is a hommage to the Gene Autry original (and all missed the opportunity for another TTRH connection :D ) and comparisons to Mitch Miller and Ray Coniff.

PostPosted: Sun October 4th, 2009, 07:17 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
an interesting comparison of Mr. D's "Must Be Santa," with the fairly obscure "Texas Rock-Polka" group Brave Combo's version from their equally obscure 19 and 91 album “It’s Christmas, Man!”

\begincommercial
Who sais it is obscure? It is brillant! You must listen to this album. It blew me away and still does. Highly recommended, virtously played, humorous, touching and surprising. Christmas is near. Go get it.
\endcommercial

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 12:53 GMT 

Rock A. Billy wrote:
\begincommercial
Who sais it is obscure? It is brillant! You must listen to this album. It blew me away and still does. Highly recommended, virtously played, humorous, touching and surprising. Christmas is near. Go get it.
\endcommercial
I should say "obscure to me." :D If you, Rock A. Billy or anyone else would like to give a recommendation on a Brave Combo non-Xmas album too, I'd be happy to see it.

PostPosted: Wed October 7th, 2009, 18:06 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
I should say "obscure to me." :D If you, Rock A. Billy or anyone else would like to give a recommendation on a Brave Combo non-Xmas album too, I'd be happy to see it.

My favourite albums by Brave Combo are "Group Dance Epidemic" and "Holidays". They both made and still make my teenage daughters cheer and sing to music they wouldn't normally listen to.

PostPosted: Fri October 9th, 2009, 13:58 GMT 

As Scott Warmuth pointed out to me, Dylan is doing more than acknowledging Brave Combo's version, but in fact is covering their version of "Must Be Santa." I won't spoil it for people who haven't heard the song yet, but suffice to say that if you listen closely you'll find that it's not the regular team drawing Santa's sleigh... and the same reference is made in Brave Combo's "Must Be Santa."

PostPosted: Tue October 13th, 2009, 17:59 GMT 

& all I cared about was Poor Old Rudolph...

wonder if that show is on this hard drive.

thanks for heads up Again!

ps Dylan tonight in Hollywood ***

anyone get their pre-order Christmas LP's yet?

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2009, 16:00 GMT 

A little more on the TTRH/"Christmas in the Heart"/Brave Combo connection. From Mr. D.'s recent interview...

BF: MUST BE SANTA is a real jumping polka. Did you hear a lot of polka bands growing up?

BD: Yeah, I heard a few.

BF: I never heard that song before. Where did you hear it?

BD: I first heard that song years ago on one of those “Sing Along with Mitch” records. But this version comes from a band called Brave Combo. Somebody sent their record to us for our radio show. They’re a regional band out of Texas that takes regular songs and changes the way you think about them. You oughta hear their version of Hey Jude.

The "Sing Along with Mitch" album Dylan refers to, is "Holiday Sing-Along with Mitch" from 19 and 60, which had the debut airing of "Must Be Santa."

Interestingly, Brave Combo backs Tiny Tim on the version of "Hey Jude" Mr. D. refers to, so yet another TTRH connection. You can hear Brave Combo/Tiny Tim's version here...

http://www.lala.com/#artist/Tiny%20Tim% ... ve%20Combo