Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 06:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri February 13th, 2009, 00:03 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Last night's episode was the one featuring (among others) Jakob Dylan. Haven't watched it yet, but there's a review here...

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/70359 ... dylan-epi/

... and there's a TTRH connection. Tennessee Thomas helps her father back Elvis on his opening number. Tennessee made a call-in appearance on the "Something" episode. Wonder if she did the recording while she was in NYC for the gig.

I honestly thought 'Tennessee Thomas' was a joke caller until this morning. :oops: She has such a weird accent, like an American taking off an English person, and I even remarked on it to my daughter when we heard it in the car. How come?

PostPosted: Fri February 13th, 2009, 14:16 GMT 

Watched the show last night, and it was great! To correct what I wrote earlier. Tennessee Thomas (with her Dad, Pete) actually backs Costello and guests on several numbers, including a burn-down-the-house version of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding."

Tennessee, however, was dressed like she had come directly from a re-enactment of "The Pilgrims Celebrate the First Thanksgiving Dinner." :lol:

A very solid show, with the exception of the somewhat vapid Zooey Deschanel, who seemed overwhelmed by the company she was keeping. A notable number was Jenny Lewis' "Pretty Bird," which I had never heard before. I have to admit that I'm not all that much a fan of Jakob Dylan's stint with The Wallflowers, but I liked his solo stuff much better. It was fun seeing him treat Elvis like a favorite uncle... "let me have your guitar."

For those who can't get the Sundance Channel, I'd keep your eyes open for a DVD set, which I'm hoping will eventually see release.

PostPosted: Thu September 17th, 2009, 21:40 GMT 

Taping of Season 2 of Spectacle begins September 21, and for those in the NYC area, there's a chance to win free tickets to the taping of the show. From my Dreamtime post...

http://www.1iota.com/shows,Spectacle:-E ... tml#rectix

SPECTACLE: ELVIS COSTELLO WITH... fuses the best elements of talk and music television and invites viewers to enjoy an intimate conversation between host Costello and his guests, punctuated by rare musical performances by Costello, his guests and a wide variety of musicians.

Sundance Channel in the US, along with CTV in Canada have picked up the show for a second season, with taping scheduled at New York City’s famed Apollo Theatre at the end of September.

September 21, 2009 (Monday) @ 7:00 PM with Nekko Case, Jesse Winchester, Sheryl Crow, and Ron Sexsmith

September 23, 2009 (Wednesday) @ 7:00 PM with Ray Lamontagne, Lyle Lovett, and John Prine

September 24, 2009 (Thursday) @ 7:00 PM with Levon Helm, Allen Toussaint, Richard Thompson, Nick Lowe.

As I've written before, if you enjoy Theme Time Radio Hour, it's likely you'll enjoy Spectacle. If one of our readers goes to the shows, Dreamtime expects a trip report.

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2009, 13:50 GMT 

"September 24, 2009 (Thursday) @ 7:00 PM with Levon Helm, Allen Toussaint, Richard Thompson, Nick Lowe."
+ the Imposters &&&&& LARRY CAMPBELL !!!!!!!

i was blessed with getting tickets to this taping at the legendary Apollo...
what a priviledge to witness a 'house band' being formed before our very eyes...
when you see the show you'll know what i mean...

thanks to the powers that be & to Elvis for allowing us the opportunity to be a part of a 'spectaclular ' evening of great muscianship...

and.... it was GREAT seeing Larry again !

the only disappointment??
NOT winning the autographed guitar they were giving away...

PostPosted: Sun December 6th, 2009, 19:19 GMT 

The first few episodes of season 2 of Spectacle have been announced. As last year, the first showing of each episode in Wednesday @ 10pm EST on Sundance. Here's what's scheduled so far.
Dec. 9 -- Bono & the Edge
Dec. 16 -- Sheryl Crow
Dec. 23 -- Levon Helm

If you miss one, lots of repeats also scheduled.

PostPosted: Sun December 6th, 2009, 20:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Five reruns on from 7:00 to midnight tonight (12/6) on a channel listed as "SUNDw" (sundance west?), number 505 on my particular dial. Guests are not listed in my info :(