Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 09:35 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 19:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Long Johnny wrote:
And while I'm at it, since there's a house cleaning going on, maybe somebody can fix the censor program that allows me to type "penis" "cock" "dick" "weiner" and "one-eyed love monkey" but doesn't allow me to type "x" or "x" or "x" or "x" or anything that even suggests that women have genitals too. Hardly seems fair.

So........... remember........ Nothing to see here, go on about your business. :)

I love this guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told him in a pm recently, when things seemed desparate -
Quote:
I became a mod to protect the site from the likes of Wintersox, to find out what all these idiots in OT were fighting about, and to invite you back.

Take it with a grain of salt. I hope this doesn't make people mad...

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Before people jump on me -
I am officially ending my time as a moderator here once this is all in place. I'll serve as long as I'm needed, but once everything is back up with a good team, I'm elevating to regular ....TITANIUM STATUS. We'll celebrate!

I've contemplated this for a long time and if I don't post it, it will never happen.
In my cyberlife, there's nothing more important than the survival of Expectingrain.com. I love this place.

Thanks to those who are being supportive.
Your loyal Moderator,

Dave :D

Three legged man

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

pinhedz wrote:
Posters that the mods personally dislike can expect to be banned, and abiding by the rules will not keep them from being banned.

I'm sorry, but that is the most absurd thing I've ever read from you. Speaking only for myself, there are hordes of people I really cannot stand on this board, always have been, always will be. If I were even to think of running this place as some sort of social networking site, the population would be a LOT smaller, that I can guarentee. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Three legged man wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:
And while I'm at it, since there's a house cleaning going on, maybe somebody can fix the censor program that allows me to type "penis" "cock" "dick" "weiner" and "one-eyed love monkey" but doesn't allow me to type "x" or "x" or "x" or "x" or anything that even suggests that women have genitals too. Hardly seems fair.

So........... remember........ Nothing to see here, go on about your business. :)

I love this guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told him in a pm recently, when things seemed desparate -

Take it with a grain of salt. I hope this doesn't make people mad...

Can't think of any thing that I'd need to express here and would have to use those words.

They are degrading to ER, the artisty of Bobby Dylan and best used at a High School kegger.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:32 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Mack - Most of what LJ writes is tongue in cheek. Chill out.

3 Legs - I'm sorry to read that you've been thinking about resigning. I hope when things are up and running, you'll reconsider.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Three legged man wrote:
Before people jump on me -
I am officially ending my time as a moderator here once this is all in place. I'll serve as long as I'm needed, but once everything is back up with a good team, I'm elevating to regular ....TITANIUM STATUS. We'll celebrate!

I've contemplated this for a long time and if I don't post it, it will never happen.
In my cyberlife, there's nothing more important than the survival of Expectingrain.com. I love this place.

Thanks to those who are being supportive.
Your loyal Moderator,

Dave :D

Three legged man

I refuse to recognize this as your resignation.....nope....I will stay in denail re: the above quote for as long as I am a posting member of ER. So, just forget it, you ain't goin' nowhere....so get used to it....obviously you didn't read the fine print.....you signed on for cyber life.... :shock:

I have a question....is it ok for a regular poster to moderate another regular poster????

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:54 GMT 

Is this last version of the Terms the final one? I am anxious to see the site up and running again. The thing that made this site great was that it attracted lots of characters and the posting was always livelier if not more informative. I don't think the new Terms will dampen that.

Some questions: Are the old bannings still in effect? Are pm's not allowed? Can you please give us more edit time? TLM, will you reconsider?

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Queen of Spades wrote:
Oh Mercy and Claudette,

Why should people not be able to PM? Is it hurting anyone else if me and one other person like to talk to each other through PMs every day? No.

As far as I can tell, PM-s have been ill used, if posters sending pm-s used the terms of use then perhaps pm-s would not be so vicious....

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:03 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Not sure what you mean. I PM some members but there's never any meanspirited communications. Earlier today I pm'd a member about the Vermont BD show. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

If anything, private messaging should be encouraged. Especially when it comes to endless bickering.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I agree.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

I suppose that's why they have the feature to be able to individually stop people from sending you PMs. If someone keeps sending you malicious PMs, all you have to do is report it to a Mod, or even ignore them.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

pinhedz wrote:
Also, there is no reason to expect future banning will be based on the new terms of use, considering that past bannings generally were not (one poster was banned for saying "huh?").

This is true. the latest suspension of the forum, from what i saw, was in part precipitated by an avalanche of redundant threads of concern or faux concern aimed at 1) taking up space and 2) belittling the mods and administrators and 3) disrupting other discussions. it wasn't profane or gramatically incorrect language, and taken out of context would probably seem less offensive and disruptive than they were.

Mad Cow wrote:
Code:
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH i dont know what im gonna do im so fed up with evryting i wanna go to sleep but i cant i have to sort out all this stuff first before someone bothers me again my dog wants to go out but i need to eat there are so many things i wanna do i dont want to leave my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the moderators are so unfair they keep deleting my posts i dont know why am i a bad person do they hate me i need to post but i cant!!!!!!

Mad Cow, you are very good at that. A little TOO good :shock: . Is 'Mad Cow' your only ER persona? If not, please familiarize yourself with the new ToS. :D

(Don't Quit 3LM...Don't pull a David Caruso!)

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

yes, unfortunately, you have to receive one not too nice message before you realize that the feature is needed........one nastygram is one too many.....

and then there is the real fun part when a poster decides to start posting received and sent pm-s on the public bord.....it has never happened to me.....but I have seen it done to others....

I find it hard to believe that any poster doesn't know what I mean when talking about nasty pm-s....

Anyway, it's not a subject that needs to be beat to death.....it's my opinion only.....keep it...don't keep it.....(shrug)

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Claudette wrote:
yes, unfortunately, you have to receive one not too nice message before you realize that the feature is needed........one nastygram is one too many........(shrug)

not to jinx myself, but i haven't ever received a nasty pm. I have received some terrific suggestions and advice via pm on occasion. I don't think there is a single sent or received pm in my mailbox that i would feel uncomfortable posting for all to see (probably not a bad rule of thumb to use when composing pms :wink: )

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:31 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I think only a tiny minority abuse the private message function. To most people it provides a valuable extra means of communication.

To take just two examples from my own experience - other commitments meant that I could only attend one of the four nights of Bob's residency at Brixton a few years ago. I wanted my three spare tickets to go to a 'true fan' so I asked people to pm me here and was able to supply a perfectly charming and knowledgable poster with the three tickets for those sold out shows at face value - everybody happy.

A very quick reader (also perfectly charming and knowledgable) noticed something I'd sort of let slip in a post and pm'd me to ask for a bit more information - it was nothing deperately important but it was something that I didn't really want to discuss in the general forums - it was nice to be able to be a little more forthcoming in a pm and (at least partly) satisfy that posters curiosity - everybody happy.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 21:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Mack - Most of what LJ writes is tongue in cheek. Chill out.

BABF, I have no problem with that, in fact most of what I post is tongue in cheek also; well more Bobby Dylan 1966ish. BUT it seems to rise above alot of peoples heads or is they just don't like my conservative point of view. I've had so much cyber hate directed at me here...and why ?

Regardless I don't have to use stuff like say...bitch & ho. You remember the time Beetle Juice was at that award ceremony(?) and Howierd Stern was telling him to say that. If you didn't it was ugly...half the audience was laughing while the other half was deefly offended. Beetle Juice was up there thinking they were laughing at his joke but they were laughing at him. I mean do we really need entertaintment like that ?

I know there are certain segmets of our society today who believe any thing goes. Like it's OK to degrade a politicans teenage daughter because they don't like said politicans view points. I mean how funny do you think the same people would have thought it was if Dennis Miller asked which of President Obama's daughters would get knocked up first...you know how those young black women in DC are...86 % of their kids are born out of wedlock. I'm willing to bet MSNBC and The Huffington Post would have read alot differant on that one along with a few ultraliberals here.

Anyhow personally I just don't think what was once called fowl language should be used gratuitously at ER. I say lets clean up ER one four letter word at a time ! Like David Bromberg said...'this is just my opinion and you know I might be wrong.'

I'm not here to get my weird* kicks being common, here's what I'm about:

*if I've spelt weird wrong please forgive me !

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:06 GMT 
Mercury Member

I guess I should not be surprised, but some people can't quit pushing the edge even when doing so has brought the bus to a stop. 3LM, I am not surprised you have had enough.... I don't know exactly what happened, but I am sure you have had your share of getting dumped on. I am sure that the ones that cause the most trouble, if they were on the other side and in charge they would be kicking people out right and left..... and to anyone who thinks that monitors should not be allowed to post.... like huh? What fun is that for them? As to the PM, I am rather in the if you don't want to do it, turn it off camp.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I hear ya, Mack. No offense intended. I was just stating that I think LJ was trying to lend some humor to the conversation a couple of pages back (as he usually does). That's all.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:28 GMT 

Hey, I swear I just posted my support for 3LM as he requested, but now the post is gone.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

konakai wrote:
Hey, I swear I just posted my support for 3LM as he requested, but now the post is gone.

You did (I saw it) - and, yep, it's gone. How peculiar! :o

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:48 GMT 

Yes. I made a post, a flippant one I admit, about an hour and a half ago. I can't find it now. It contained the offensive name 'Bush'. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:55 GMT 

Actually all of page 12 has disappeared. There was a post by Carnap and BZ there too.

aloha

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 22:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yeah. I said "Dittos" right after Konakai's aforementioned post supporting 3LM.
:?

Maybe a nasty post was being deleted but somehow the computer went haywire.

PostPosted: Sat June 20th, 2009, 23:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is weird. On my last post, when I clicked SUBMIT, I got an SQL Error message.
I come back now a minute later, and the post got posted.

EDIT: This post got the same error. The computer is acting up when you post something.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next