Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 16:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Moderator Recruitment
PostPosted: Wed June 17th, 2009, 22:12 GMT 
Site Admin

June 22nd 2009: This thread is locked.

Please direct further applications or suggestions to discussions@expectingrain.com.

We are looking to recruit more moderators. Ideally, we would like to get 2-3 new persons for each Category (Bob Dylan, Downloads, Annex). The moderators will use the new finalized Terms of Use as guidelines for moderating, so read the draft we put out to get familiar with them.

For sure, the new ToUs will be upsetting for some, and the moderators will have their hands full to begin with keeping things straight, but after a breaking-in period we hope people will see the benefits.

The junior moderators will not have banning abilities, but will need to report abusers of any kind to the administration or senior moderators.

If you think you are the right person for the job, or you have someone in mind you would like us to consider, please post in THIS thread. This thread is NOT open for discussions - ONLY suggestions. Anything irrelevant will be removed without warning at the discretion of the administration/moderators.

Alternatively, send an e-mail to discussions@expectingrain.com. Please include the following details:

- Username
- The Category/forums you wish to oversee

The administration reserves the right to make the final decision on who and when.

PostPosted: Wed June 17th, 2009, 22:59 GMT 

I think Josepi would make an excellent junior moderator, perhaps for the Requests for Rare Dylan Recordings section.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 13:50 GMT 

there's no such thing as easy money. I nominate thickboy to moderate dylan discussion board.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 16:28 GMT 
I already nominated thickboy to moderate Off Topic.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 18:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nominations:

Panther --sensible, articulate

Thickboy --easy to control a crowd with humor

Clarx --seems like a decent chap

mez --kind of new to ER, but plenty of enthusiasm for Dylan without the edge of fanaticism

Precinct 14 --a role model for us all

All of these people seem to be around often enough to moderate with clarity and moderation.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 18:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

nice list Albert. One problem. Unfortunately I think P14 got the ax :?

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 20:08 GMT 

TomPaine is a nice and always helpful person, who contribute a lot to ER.
If he will do it, he gets my vote.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 21:23 GMT 

A shout-out to Chuck Darwin for dogulator. Ever the voice of evolutionary reason.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 22:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mr.Frank wrote:
TomPaine is a nice and always helpful person, who contribute a lot to ER.
If he will do it, he gets my vote.

I think they should have to change their handle.
Having 'Thomas Paine' as a forum moderator strikes me as incredibly sad.

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 22:15 GMT 

out of curiosity, how many mods are there now Karl? and how many do you think are needed?

are you shooting for one per category?

PostPosted: Thu June 18th, 2009, 22:29 GMT 

Thickboy would be a great moderator if he could find it possible to do so and retain his sense of humour. A sense of humour takes one a long way in life. On the single occasion I recall him stepping out of character he struck me as a highly intelligent and well-meaning being who was genuinely distressed at being considered otherwise (for a rather thoughtless joke). A person of humanity and humility. I hope you're blushing, Thickboy!

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 08:03 GMT 
Site Owner

arabia wrote:
out of curiosity, how many mods are there now Karl? and how many do you think are needed?

are you shooting for one per category?

If you read the first post, Mad Cow suggested 2-3 mods for each of the three areas. That's 6-9 mods.
As someone pointed out, there are not many problems to take care of in the Rare Recordings section, so maybe 1 mod would be enough there, in addition to maybe 2 in each of the other places. So 5 would be ideal, in addition to the two we have now (Three Legged Man and Bob Zimmerman), who I hope will continue.

I have not been in the forums much, only when alarmed, and I have prevailed upon my daughter to respond to the alarms.
That's how I can find the time to update the front page with news. I cannot give full attention to both.

Karl Erik

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 12:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

andy1983 wrote:
thickboy wrote:
What is the annual salary for a Moderators position?

You can choose:

- That rare Tony Garnier 1982 solo album;
- Custom-made pants with lots of room for extra members;
- Free luuuuuve from Ze Ladiez;

Whatever you would like to have most.

a Tony Garnier cd ? OK, how do I apply ? ;)

No, seriously, KE, I may be available for a mod position if it doesn't require doing weird computer stuff...

Otherwise, I think Spades & Beagle & Hal & Thickboy & LJ* (n' Tambo, too, if he has time when he's not fighting in bars ;) ) would be good mods (or dog for Beagle), they've never been rude or anything!

* I know he's been banned but he's a nice & dutifull guy at heart -hey, that makes 5 people, problem solved ! ;)

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 14:39 GMT 

I'd like to nominate myself for a moderator position. I know forums well and I think it would be good if there were someone on the moderating team that could represent the much younger Dylan fan base and members of the site.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 16:51 GMT 

I'm not familiar with you Amanov but since you are willing to volunteer I think you should be given the chance (if additional moderators are still needed).

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 18:09 GMT 

Why I should not be a moderator: I'd be too strict. Two strikes and you're out.

I find most of the follow-up posts in the General Discussion forum trite and off purpose. I think most of the posts would be better in Private Messages or personal blogs. They rarely relate to Bob Dylan. I think Quoting is way over-used, unnecessary and detrimental to civil discourse and server capacity. I have no idea why there is even a section called Off Topic. Whatever these off topic items are, I'm sure there are forums and blogs somewhere else on the internet handling them very well. Drop Off Topic all together.

Personal attacks on poster's comments are completely wrong. Many abuses are covered up with the cliché, "I was only joking." If you want to be a comedian go to an open night mike. Humor takes a delicate touch and few online writers ever master it.

As for good spelling and grammar, it's always welcome. However, I do love people writing in for whom English is not their first language. First, because it is the only language I read well and second, reading other's phrasing freshens my native tongue in a way I always forget I am thirsting for. (Yes, for is a preposition. Should it be allowed at the end of the sentence? Is this humorous, ironic, sarcastic, or a waste of your time?)

Why I should not be a moderator: I'd be too strict. Trivialities, off-topic, language abuse, abuse of others, you're gone.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 18:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Note to self - always read Fabe posts :lol:

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 19:14 GMT 

Fabe wrote:
Why I should not be a moderator: I'd be too strict. Two strikes and you're out.

I find most of the follow-up posts in the General Discussion forum trite and off purpose. I think most of the posts would be better in Private Messages or personal blogs. They rarely relate to Bob Dylan. I think Quoting is way over-used, unnecessary and detrimental to civil discourse and server capacity. I have no idea why there is even a section called Off Topic. Whatever these off topic items are, I'm sure there are forums and blogs somewhere else on the internet handling them very well. Drop Off Topic all together.

Personal attacks on poster's comments are completely wrong. Many abuses are covered up with the cliché, "I was only joking." If you want to be a comedian go to an open night mike. Humor takes a delicate touch and few online writers ever master it.

As for good spelling and grammar, it's always welcome. However, I do love people writing in for whom English is not their first language. First, because it is the only language I read well and second, reading other's phrasing freshens my native tongue in a way I always forget I am thirsting for. (Yes, for is a preposition. Should it be allowed at the end of the sentence? Is this humorous, ironic, sarcastic, or a waste of your time?)

Why I should not be a moderator: I'd be too strict. Trivialities, off-topic, language abuse, abuse of others, you're gone.

actually, it sounds like you're on the right track. mods don't represent the posters, they represent the Owner. mods are there to enforce the rules and sometimes have to make unpopular decisions. It's definitely not a job for someone who is worried about other posters getting mad at them.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would like to be concidered to be a JR MOD to act only as a filter for the SR MODS and like Joe Friday I would go "by the book" and promise to proof read my responce.

As a Bobby Dylan fan with to much time on my hands,* I really enjoy come'n here and don't want to see this place go the route 'ARLO'S MONSTER' did.

As you all know I am a firm believer in free speech BUT I believe along with that comes the resposibility not to abuse it. I would like to see strict guideline enected here and than followed. One example and fore most NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ESPECIALLY ON ANYONES LOVED ONES !

I would like to suggest a 'Free Fire zone' where you enter at your own risk.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 19:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Fabe wrote:

I find most of the follow-up posts in the General Discussion forum trite and off purpose. I think most of the posts would be better in Private Messages or personal blogs. They rarely relate to Bob Dylan. I think Quoting is way over-used, unnecessary and detrimental to civil discourse and server capacity.

A couple of very good points - and "quoting" images, why? Sometimes you'd enter a thread to see the same picture appear three or four times in succession usually acompanied by nothing more than an emoticon.

Here's some interesting stuff from the rules of another forum that I frequent, some of it relevant, some of it maybe not so much -

"Do not copy and then post entire articles. It is OK to quote from articles, or to paraphrase.

Do not discuss (fans on) other weblogs, forums, boards and sites. If you need to bitch/complain/vent, your own site or blog is the place. Generalising about groups of fans or fandoms is also strongly discouraged.

Please use proper grammar, capitalization and spelling as best as you can. This will help keep the discussion on topic and it makes your posts easier to read.

Don't sign your posts. Your (nick)name will appear below your post automatically. That means no sigs/quotes, etc.

Read before you write, to avoid 'double posts'. Also please check the Deleted Posts blog to make sure that what you are about to post hasn't already been posted and removed.
If you're unsure whether something has been posted or not, search for it using the search function in our archives.

The admins' word is law. Board rules, policy and implementation will not be discussed on site. Please do not argue with the admins. If you have complaints, e-mail us. "

Food for thought there..

I love ER and wish it to continue .... in all its aspects.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 20:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

I am a Rocker and thus can never be a Mod. The idea of BigMac being a moderator is wonderful.... I nominate Sixpac as head of political world being as he is so unbiased and fair....

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 21:14 GMT 

Still Mack wrote:

I quite like this idea.

For other moderators, I would definitely like to see mez become a moderator.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 22:09 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Symphesis wrote:
I would definitely like to see mez become a moderator.

I don't think that it is appropriate that you start nominating folk... you haven't even reached 400 posts yet... I believe that only Senior Contributors should be able to nominate potential new Moderators... after all we don't allow ten year olds to vote in General Elections... I have no issues with Mez becoming a trainee Moderator or even an Assistant or Deputy Moderator... but only if he is nominated by an ER Elder not some 'Johnny-come-lately' who has less that 400 posts... I have a bloody garden fence with more posts than that... although, when all is said and done I would prefer to have attractive ladies as Moderators... I would make Claudette the Moderator-in-Chiefess... she meets all the criteria... she is a lady and she is foxy... in effect... she is... per se... a foxy lady... viva la belle moi avec tooty.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 22:28 GMT 

Still Mack wrote:

that would defeat the entire purpose of having rules so that ER can be considered a serious and respectable site.

PostPosted: Fri June 19th, 2009, 22:38 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Still Mack wrote:

I appreciate your fine thoughts on free speech and responsibility, Still Mack - but I'm afraid I disagree with your "Free Fire Zone" suggestion. I don't see how the emnities and resentments generated by such a place could fail to leak out and contaminate the rest of the site.

No, I think we must maintain a basic level of civility and of consideration for our fellow posters across the entire site.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next