Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed August 27th, 2014, 16:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 19:52 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Yeah, thats one great way to get down with the young fans. Did they spill your cocoa while you sat in your bathchair or something?

Nancyboy: i pretty much only drink jim beam. i take showers if i bathe at all. i went to a girltalk show in the rain last week. i love college age kids--i even have one of my own. i'm just commenting that this short film is aimed at a demographic not represented on this board.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:01 GMT 

byrmia wrote:
how can people be disturbed by this and not disturbed by bob's lyrics? i knew when the dude took a cast iron pan to the face (with sound effect) and got back up it wasn't really about the (cartoon) violence. and, much like bob's songs, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways. at one point i thought maybe she was a herion addict and he was trying to keep her clean......which is why she was so frantic and locked up. i understand the violence to women angle, but there are a lot of other, subtle things going on there.

and seriously: if it upsets you that much, maybe you need to volunteer some of the time you spend on the message board and give women caught in a cycle of abuse some hope.

the violence in this film is radically different from anything in Bob's lyrics. Bob has "violence" in some songs, but it's within the context of the song, and it's part of the song. Not the ENTIRE song. This "short film" has no onscreen story that this scene is a part of, this violent scene is 100% of the film. There's nothing else but the violence. And Bob's songs will mention a violent act, but they don't detail it blow by blow. You can't point to any song that is strictly a detailing of a violent act, describing it blow by blow. There are no songs revelling in each punch, kick, stabbing, etc. Film is more visceral anyway, but an entire video of just violence is dramatically different from anything Bob has written.

I don't watch extreme violence of any sort. Violence for the sake of violence doesn't interest me whatsoever. This video was sent to me by BD.com. If there had been a warning about the graphic nature of the violence, I would not have watched it. They clearly dropped the ball on this.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Woody wrote:
Callahan wrote:
Are you saying it's not an abusive relationship? They're abusing each other.

Abuse implies damage aimed in one direction. As I said earlier, they are fighting each other. It's not abuse, it's a duel, a showdown. I wonder how many of those calling this drivel enjoy the old westerns, or any other action movie for that matter. I don't recall many people coming out of those movies saying "wow, I wish they had made that ridiculously realistic fight scene less realistic".

No, it's not a showdown. The man comes home makes sure the doors are locked, hides the keys, and grabs a knife. He sees his broad is not tied to the bed as he enters the room with a knife. She fights him in self defense....

Truthfully I got a little grossed out with the stabbing... I don't like stabbing... the thought of person pushing something into someone else and slicing them open make we wanna yak. I wouldn't have watched it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:05 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
You know what's particularly annoying about it? It's how they went out of their way to make the violence realistic. Is it really needed? Maybe some Batman-style violence would have worked better. I enjoy seeing the bad guy get his ass kicked, but this violence just seemed a bit extreme for a Bob Dylan music video.

agreed. it's especially bad because not only is it realistic violence, but the violence is the entire video. there's nothing else in it. it's unrelenting.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:13 GMT 

the violence is unrealistic
he took a shot to the face with a frying pan and got right back up.
try that at home.
if he didn't love her, he would have used a dirty needle.
we are only seeing part of the picture and people are making wild assumptions.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

byrmia wrote:
we are only seeing part of the picture and people are making wild assumptions.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:29 GMT 

Woody wrote:
I wonder how many of those calling this drivel enjoy the old westerns, or any other action movie for that matter. I don't recall many people coming out of those movies saying "wow, I wish they had made that ridiculously realistic fight scene less realistic".
Agreed. That's why I also said it was about as interesting as American TV.

Not to start anything here, but an abusive relationship does not always mean that only one person is doing the abusing.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm still going with the PMS training video theory. You have to have a heart of stone to watch that and not feel for that poor guy. Give me a concussion, stab me, run me over, then kiss me on the head and make it better. Indeed.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 20:52 GMT 

I feel almost guilty saying this because I just activated my ER account and I didn’t want to start off on a negative note
but I have to say, I’ve seen the video 3 times now and I dislike it wholeheartedly.
I don’t have a problem with interpretation as long as the interpreter doesn’t take him(her)self too seriously
and I don’t mind being offended once in a while but this clip has no context whatsoever.
The video fails to capture the song’s mood completely and the images (setting & actors) are mediocre at best.

There’s this tiny scene in the Things Have Changed video where Bob’s eating a burger or a sandwich I believe.
As long as he doesn’t eat with his mouth too far open, I’d rather watch a whole clip of him consuming a BigMac.
In close up.

Best from Amsterdam,
Erik.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:00 GMT 

I'll comment on the video alone, as the music obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the video, theme-wise, music-wise or tempo-wise. It's totally 'out of sync', and the video and the song drown each other.
The video is pitiful on it's own, badly played and filmed (which doesn't make it art or even artsy), we did better than this, producing 'art videos' in my first year studying film science in the late 80'es - this is not Tarantino. Tarantino knows something about movies. ;)
Due to the ending of this muck, it turns simply disgusting: The contents mainly look like a clip from yet another 'MoviesForMen2'-series on Free Satellite - a little violence with a hint of corny sexism - and while I would have accepted the ending to be the pair simply wiping each other out, the girl returns to the male psychopath and kisses him. Ah, well I thought so. They really love it, don't they, the bitches. Humour? Sorry, I don't see it. I don't find this description of violence funny, ironic, sarcastic or meaningful in any way or form.
This production is simply not worth the money the Company spent for it.

I loved the Pig more in the video to "Simple Twist of Fate". Remember him? :) What an awful video too, but at least it had some kind of absurd Dylan humour, somewhere.
If people defend this by saying that Dylan doesn't have a say in this matter, well, maybe Dylan should review his contract -.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

byrmia wrote:
the college aged kids who stand for the whole show crowding and pushing to the front while drinking too much beer yelling woo-hoo on your bootlegs are gonna love it. it seems to me that they are vastly under-represented here.

um...there are plenty of us younger folks around here...and from the comments left here the "college aged kids" of ER also dislike it. you're not a regular, you wouldn't know who we are :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:11 GMT 

Over the hill wrote:
byrmia wrote:
how can people be disturbed by this and not disturbed by bob's lyrics? i knew when the dude took a cast iron pan to the face (with sound effect) and got back up it wasn't really about the (cartoon) violence. and, much like bob's songs, it can be interpreted a lot of different ways. at one point i thought maybe she was a herion addict and he was trying to keep her clean......which is why she was so frantic and locked up. i understand the violence to women angle, but there are a lot of other, subtle things going on there.

and seriously: if it upsets you that much, maybe you need to volunteer some of the time you spend on the message board and give women caught in a cycle of abuse some hope.

the violence in this film is radically different from anything in Bob's lyrics. Bob has "violence" in some songs, but it's within the context of the song, and it's part of the song. Not the ENTIRE song. This "short film" has no onscreen story that this scene is a part of, this violent scene is 100% of the film. There's nothing else but the violence. And Bob's songs will mention a violent act, but they don't detail it blow by blow. You can't point to any song that is strictly a detailing of a violent act, describing it blow by blow. There are no songs revelling in each punch, kick, stabbing, etc. Film is more visceral anyway, but an entire video of just violence is dramatically different from anything Bob has written.

I don't watch extreme violence of any sort. Violence for the sake of violence doesn't interest me whatsoever. This video was sent to me by BD.com. If there had been a warning about the graphic nature of the violence, I would not have watched it. They clearly dropped the ball on this.

"Idiot wind" is pure violence. I don´t see any problems cause of the violence in this film. It´s a boring film, and maybe such violent films always are boring. It´s an uninteresting film, only to talk about cause there´s a connection to Dylan AND because the director stole the plot from Godard. A mixture from "Weekend" and "À bout de souffle". That´s, and the stupid way he did it, can make angry. The rest is boring.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:13 GMT 

Never mind all this nonsense - where have I seen the guy in the video before? :?

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:26 GMT 

Got my signals crossed wrote:
I don't know but I hate the video. I loved the Harry Dean Stanton Bootlegger video, a nice shout out to us, but this shit is terrible. It had all the hideous visions one can nightmare about.

So "nightmare" is now a verb?

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:34 GMT 

LaRue wrote:
byrmia wrote:
the college aged kids who stand for the whole show crowding and pushing to the front while drinking too much beer yelling woo-hoo on your bootlegs are gonna love it. it seems to me that they are vastly under-represented here.

um...there are plenty of us younger folks around here...and from the comments left here the "college aged kids" of ER also dislike it. you're not a regular, you wouldn't know who we are :wink:

I'm a 'college aged kid' and I love it. Although I do also have a very serious drug problem so make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:35 GMT 

[quote="Bennyboy"It works. Its blackly comic, like the album.[/quote]

About time someone's talking sense. It's so absurd, the best Dylan video he's done in ages. The only thing more fun is reading pages of outraged fan posts. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:39 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
I'm still going with the PMS training video theory. You have to have a heart of stone to watch that and not feel for that poor guy. Give me a concussion, stab me, run me over, then kiss me on the head and make it better. Indeed.

Oh yeah, the guy who ties women to bed and attacks them with knives. I really feel for his suffering.

And you all are shocked that she fights back? In my book, that's the real sexism here.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:44 GMT 

Honestly people, this has nothing to do with an abusive relationship. He tied her to the bed and drugged her. Why anyone would think that this is an exaggerated version of a tumultuous relationship is beyond me.

-Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 21:55 GMT 

Skirnir314 wrote:
Honestly people, this has nothing to do with an abusive relationship. He tied her to the bed and drugged her. Why anyone would think that this is an exaggerated version of a tumultuous relationship is beyond me.

-Mike

I would think that up until the point when she kisses him. There's nothing funny or entertaining about domestic violence. I bet some people whose parents duked it out squirmed a bit during this video.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 22:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

the3penguins wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:

Oh yeah, the guy who ties women to bed and attacks them with knives. I really feel for his suffering.

And you all are shocked that she fights back? In my book, that's the real sexism here.

You are a heartless churl.

To mock the man's suffering.... He's run down by a car while a knife is sticking out of his abdomen! Did you see a long version in which he tied her to the bed and attacked her with a knife because that's clearly not in the video posted here (and somebody DOES get stabbed...).

You want to imagine the worst in people, I can't stop you; if you're going to be a glass half empty kinda person, well, too bad for you.

That's just what you'd do too, isn't it? Smash a guy, stab him, run him over and then kiss him on the head. You disgust me.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 22:45 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
LaRue wrote:
byrmia wrote:

I'm a 'college aged kid' and I love it. Although I do also have a very serious drug problem so make of that what you will.

i knew there was a reason i liked this guy

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 22:53 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:

the sad part is that hell probably take her back

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 22:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

byrmia wrote:
the sad part is that hell probably take her back

Well, yeah, if testosterone causes violence, it's abuse. If PMS is the cause, it's just hormones.

Everybody knows that.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:36 GMT 

Over the hill wrote:
Three legged man wrote:
You know what's particularly annoying about it? It's how they went out of their way to make the violence realistic. Is it really needed? Maybe some Batman-style violence would have worked better. I enjoy seeing the bad guy get his ass kicked, but this violence just seemed a bit extreme for a Bob Dylan music video.

agreed. it's especially bad because not only is it realistic violence, but the violence is the entire video. there's nothing else in it. it's unrelenting.

FUKKING HELL!!

I never watch ANYTHING. EVER. I don't like to turn on my TV/radio or go outside my house. I don't like it when people talk to me or even look my way...I'd rather stay at home and read my (insert yr own choice) & NEVER THINK about ANYTHING EVER. Otherwise, someone might annoy me or I could get offended.

I'm speechless.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 23:38 GMT 

According to a report from Reuter's, Bob himself is guilt free:
"...Columbia Records label does not know if he has even seen it. The company has carte blanche with his videos, and its main job is “to push the envelope, to try not to be predictable,” said Greg Linn, Columbia’s vice president of marketing."

But it's nice to know our opinions carry some weight:
"... it garnered a hostile reception from fans, judging by comments posted on the Dylan fan Web site Expecting Rain."

The article is headlined Another Side of Bob Dylan: Kinky Domestic Violence

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2009/0 ... -violence/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next