Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 25th, 2014, 05:27 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:28 GMT 

Maybe people should stop believing that he actually personally has to do with everything that his name gets attached to.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:28 GMT 

stephenoxford wrote:
Exploitative lowest common denominator garbage. Hang your collective heads in shame, the lot of you involved in this sh¦t. Interestingly, attempts to logon to bobdylan.crap to leave comments causes the site to freeze. What a surprise.

agree with you, so disappointing this is called "official" realization, who gived it the "official"? Columbia or Dylan? what a BIG mistake. I did let my comment on bobdylan.com about this crap video. And at that time all of the comments were very bad, i hope they realized they commited a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:30 GMT 

Johanna Moore wrote:
Maybe people should stop believing that he actually personally has to do with everything that his name gets attached to.

Well, I'm sure he had to approve it.

I seriously don't think the video is as bad as many people seem to think. Can art not discuss such issues as domestic violence? Should it be kept quiet and ignored?

My problem with it is that it doesn't seem to say anything new or interesting on the subject. It's not as well executed as it could have been.

But it certainly seems to be generating a lot of controversy and discussion. Dylan has always thrived on that.

Last edited by Callahan on Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:33 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:31 GMT 

alma wrote:
Kle wrote:
the director watched too much "À bout de souffle" by Godard, with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg. Without the romantic scenes straight to the same end. But in the video the end is only a joke. For me a middle-class beerbar-joke.

it is just awful and not well realized, horrible taste, nothing to do with Buñuel or Godard, or even Fassbinder...just awful common video with bad taste and so bad realized. I cannot get why Dylan approved this, he did prove to have good and refined taste all along 50 years.

But its got people talking and there is no such thing as bad publicity. It should sell Bob a few more albums.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

I haven't enjoyed a video so much since The Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up'.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:45 GMT 

The_Debutante_Collector wrote:
bravocharliedelta wrote:
Bloodhound onda Trax wrote:
Quentin Tarantino said Death Proof was his John Wesley Harding.

So this video is obviously Dylan's Death Proof.

It does have a Tarantino-esque feel about it. I know most people don't like Death Proof - but I did. I also liked Kill Bill.

I like it when women kick ass. :P

Death Proof was criminally underated. Should have been released by itself without Planet Terror.

I would argue for Death Proof myself. There has to be some defense of a film that contains both one of the great car chases of all time AND one of the great lap dance scenes. Ah, sweet Vanessa Ferlito. Excited about Inglorious Basterds. Our man Q (well, my man) has not created a masterpiece in a good 15 years, despite putting out some interesting and enjoyable material. But Basterds was a script a couple decades in the making, so there's some reason to hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Got my signals crossed wrote:
I don't know but I hate the video. I loved the Harry Dean Stanton Bootlegger video, a nice shout out to us, but this shit is terrible. It had all the hideous visions one can nightmare about. It does make me thankful that I don't live is some crummy motel for burnouts, in love with a psycho.

This was the first post on here. It says it all. It should be the last word too.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:59 GMT 

Callahan wrote:
I seriously don't think the video is as bad as many people seem to think. Can art not discuss such issues as domestic violence? Should it be kept quiet and ignored?

The point is that this video can't be called art

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:02 GMT 

diamond sutra wrote:
alma wrote:
Kle wrote:
the director watched too much "À bout de souffle" by Godard, with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg. Without the romantic scenes straight to the same end. But in the video the end is only a joke. For me a middle-class beerbar-joke.

it is just awful and not well realized, horrible taste, nothing to do with Buñuel or Godard, or even Fassbinder...just awful common video with bad taste and so bad realized. I cannot get why Dylan approved this, he did prove to have good and refined taste all along 50 years.

But its got people talking and there is no such thing as bad publicity. It should sell Bob a few more albums.

i don't think this is a good publicity, on the contrary...i dont think it would help to sell more records, why it should?? it is repellent-people....and for the director using domestic violence in such bad way and think this is art-video, well. This video hurts not only general women feelings but women that love art too, and i hope this goes for males too, as i can read in much of the comments. I can understand "My Wife Home town" like kind of a joke on the common-guy talking about his wife, but this i cannot stand it! And just throw up a piece of "real life" as some people said here is so stupid, what sense has this "realism" on a video??? and the worse is that is not even well filmed nor acting, with that stupid smile in the woman after trying to kill the guy and then going to kiss him! oh boy, cannot believe it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:03 GMT 

RobertitoBob wrote:
Callahan wrote:

that's bullshit! it's something somebody created & put a lot of time energy & thought into, it's art, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not art........bad art maybe

just to add, i don't like the video at all myself

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:06 GMT 

awful video, embarassing for all involved and it really ruined the song for me. I wish I hadn't watched it.

violence doesn't bother me at all, just contrived piece of garbage. Maybe they were going for some sort of Harry Crewes/Bukowski/Tarentino thing, it doesn't add up.

If they filmed a toilet overflowing with shit and set it to that song it would have been more creative.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

I hate this video. Like BZ said, it's way too YouTube.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:14 GMT 

Captain_Arab wrote:
RobertitoBob wrote:
Callahan wrote:

that's bullshit! it's something somebody created & put a lot of time energy & thought into, it's art, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not art........bad art maybe

just to add, i don't like the video at all myself

I look into the toilet seat after I shit and I do find art in it. Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean it's not art. I put a lot of time enery into it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

"Beyond Here Lies Nothing" is clearly a song about the dangers of extreme PMS.

A difficult subject to deal with in any medium, but to deal with it in a song, and with an accordion? That's amazing.

The video is an artistic triumph.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:20 GMT 

Long Johnny, tell me you're being ironic

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:22 GMT 

The point is that this video can't be called art[/quote]

just to add, i don't like the video at all myself[/quote]

I look into the toilet seat after I shit and I do find art in it. Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean it's not art. I put a lot of time enery into it.[/quote]

Yes....but does Paul Simon look at his shit and find Art in it?

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:25 GMT 

What do you mean? I'm much more artistic than Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:33 GMT 

I could imagine that Dylan likes. Just because it i

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:39 GMT 

locusceruleus wrote:
blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Great video. The fact that it's pissed so many people off makes me enjoy it even more.

Why do I get the feeling that your wardrobe consists mainly of t-shirts with expletives written across them?

I'm anti establishment, that's just how I roll.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

RobertitoBob wrote:
Long Johnny, tell me you're being ironic

Think of it this way....

In many of the posts about this video the complaint of Dylan "fans" has to do with whether this is "good marketing."

Even if the video depicted a man abducting, torturing and raping a Girls Scout troop, it would be LESS offensive than the idea that ART is good or bad based on how well it succeeds in the marketplace.

In 1928, the director Luis Buñuel's collaboration with Salvador Dali, Un Chien Andalou, opened to an audience that actually rioted, destroying the theater. In 1874 Manet nearly instigated riots at the first Impressionist exhibition.

In 1965-66 Bob Dylan created a furor, albeit a lesser one, by thwarting and frustrating the expectations of his audience in what is basically the same way.

People talk about what is and isn't "art" but miss the point that perhaps the truth is that there isn't any "art" anymore. When the viewer is transformed byt market forces into the audience-consumer and all critiques center around whether the work is ultimately a good or bad way to make money.... well, that may just be the damn ballgame.

When ART = SAFE then ART = BULLSHIT.

So, no. This is a great video.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:50 GMT 

you mean, just because it is provoking or risky is it good?

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:51 GMT 

alma wrote:
I cannot get why Dylan approved this, he did prove to have good and refined taste all along 50 years.

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:54 GMT 

you're comparing this piece of crap with manet, dali and bunuel?

this video is "safe" if anything every was. I find it contrived and lame. There's nothing risky or edgy about it. It's a vain attempt by a shitty film maker with bad acting, bad lighting, bad editing, and mediocre camera work.

It's one giant cliche after another. At least they could have thrown some camp in there to make it somewhat redeemable.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 13:58 GMT 

I could imagine that Dylan likes it. Just because it´s so cheap, even the actors acting cheap, like people who only play their feelings. Sometimes I think, Dylan often likes to choose "cheap" cause he thinks, then he doesn´t get "untrue". And that "moral", that "I love you and kill you", this ,we´re loving enemies all our life` reminds me to the attitude of many of his lyrics. In the lyrics all that shot down&kill- stuff, not to talk about "hate myself for loving you", seems to have an other dimension. Not so childish like in this video, that may offers a clearer view in Dylans soul. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 14:01 GMT 

Maybe they should take this video and make it the video to "Ugliest Girl in the World" instead?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next