Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 1st, 2014, 13:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Don't know if I saw you if I would kiss you or kill you............"

an inneresting lyric 'coz it's about ambivalence.

but that video... just violent and ugly.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Street Beagle wrote:
Yeah, and dozens of disgruntled ultraliberals would be reaching for the phone to call the SPCNFL.

It's all the profit driven media's fault.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:26 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
bobonmymind wrote:
Are we jumping the gun on this?

As I think about it this is a "short film for IFC". This may not be a video (music) sanctioned by Bob but rather a short clip from a movie that BD.com thinks will get visitors and add to the album. They would be sorely incorrect, I think. The movie will, obviously, suck but maybe, just maybe, this is not the official video for BHLN??!!! Either way the video/clip sucks and should be removed. And to Tupac A I am neither the abuser or the abused....the video is not OK. Hell Garth Brooks had his video pulled several years ago for a lesser DV scene.

By all means, censorship is always the answer. :roll:

LJ that is NOT what I am saying. I see where you are getting it though. Loved your post in "do you see" thread though. I bet he did!!!

My point is that we are all getting bent out of shape that Bob did this, approved this...etc. It is for IFC and may have nothing to do with Bob and the representation of the song as he wrote it. At least I am holding out hope. The last several days have not been flattering to Bob and I need some positive :?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:26 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
Johnnie Ray wrote:
blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Great video. The fact that it's pissed so many people off makes me enjoy it even more.

I think a video of his vocal cords singing the song would have been far more entertaining while still managing to piss people off.

Am I the only one who didn't see vocal chords? :oops:

Did you see stars! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:30 GMT 

Hal Jones wrote:
TUPAC AMARU wrote:
..guarantee ya the dog that barks the loudest about this video has either been an abuser or a victim of abuse....
So far, the most ignorant remark of the day.

WOOF!

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:31 GMT 

bobonmymind wrote:
The last several days have not been flattering to Bob and I need some positive :?

Just because he took a tour bus to John Lennon's childhood house? Man, cut the guy some slack.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

locusceruleus wrote:
This would be embarrassing if it were a Nickelback video. The fact that it's associated with Dylan is just hugely depressing. What were they thinking? This is going to offend so many people. It's not remotely amusing, entertaining, challenging or anything else. Anyone who didn't see the kiss at the end coming a mile away must be a total idiot. Anyone who finds domestic violence entertaining should seek help.

Yes. The LAST thing you ever want art to do is "offend people." :roll:

I vote that in the future all Dylan videos must prominently feature Jar Jar Binks and cute puppies.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Ramblin' Man wrote:
So, Bob.....tell us how you really feel about women.

It's pretty clear: he thinks they're dangerous. :lol:

The NET probably employs one guy whose only job is to be the first one to walk into rooms before Bob. You never know if a psycho bitch is hiding behind the door.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:46 GMT 

Just watched the video again and I can confirm despite it's shocking content the song itself is still incredibly boring.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 23:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Long Johnny wrote:
Ramblin' Man wrote:
So, Bob.....tell us how you really feel about women.

It's pretty clear: he thinks they're dangerous. :lol:

The NET probably employs one guy whose only job is to be the first one to walk into rooms before Bob. You never know if a psycho bitch is hiding behind the door.

aww, Baron's got to eat like the rest of us.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:09 GMT 

bobonmymind wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:
bobonmymind wrote:
Are we jumping the gun on this?

As I think about it this is a "short film for IFC". This may not be a video (music) sanctioned by Bob but rather a short clip from a movie that BD.com thinks will get visitors and add to the album. They would be sorely incorrect, I think. The movie will, obviously, suck but maybe, just maybe, this is not the official video for BHLN??!!! Either way the video/clip sucks and should be removed. And to Tupac A I am neither the abuser or the abused....the video is not OK. Hell Garth Brooks had his video pulled several years ago for a lesser DV scene.

By all means, censorship is always the answer. :roll:

LJ that is NOT what I am saying. I see where you are getting it though. Loved your post in "do you see" thread though. I bet he did!!!

My point is that we are all getting bent out of shape that Bob did this, approved this...etc. It is for IFC and may have nothing to do with Bob and the representation of the song as he wrote it. At least I am holding out hope. The last several days have not been flattering to Bob and I need some positive :?

I wish it wasn't the case, but I saw it because I got the email from BobDylan.com announcing it. They call it "the OFFICIAL short film." On IFC's site, it says: "IFC and IFC.com are proud to present the first look at the new music video for Bob Dylan's new song Beyond Here Lies Nothin', directed by Nash Edgerton and featuring Amanda Aardsma and Joel Stoffer. TV premiere on IFC tonight at 10:15." To use the track, there are various rights and licensing that they needed to obtain, so someone in Camp Dylan had to sign off on this shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:13 GMT 

That video is sick! In the last few years Bob has been dying his hair, fantasizing
about very young women and in general, has lost his beautiful poetic celebration of life.
Letting a video like that out shows how he has slipped. The last album I liked was "Oh Mercy" and "Time OUt of Mind". I expected more from him at his age. He is not cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:13 GMT 

Thanks OTH for clearing that up. I guess it is what it is. Just don't understand why a verbally brilliant man that is back on top after so many years would sabotage a great song/album with this video...

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 00:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

Cause he ain't 100 nor drooling into his oatmeal. He's still "a riot in more ways than one".

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:02 GMT 

I guess I don't have the overwhelmingly negative reaction to it the way most of y'all seem to. The song and the video do NOT go together. Would have been better with My Wife's Hometown. The uncontrolled hostility toward women thing (Bob does have some issues to never work out) would have been better realized, particular as neither the creepy dude in the vid or the singer of MWHT illicit any particular sympathy. Did somebody say this is like real life? Oh yeah. Sorry folks, got to go wash the dishes so my wife will stop swinging at me with the straight razor.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:22 GMT 

C'mon people - that is one cool fight scene! No more violence here than any one of a hundred old folk songs that Joanie or Bob used in sing in the past. What about Joans' recent song where she kills the guy with a broken bottle while he's raping her??

Hey the car's number plate is 645 OLIO - anyone know what state that car is registered in? Is that a California licence?

Willie

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:34 GMT 

popeoferuke wrote:
C'mon people - that is one cool fight scene! No more violence here than any one of a hundred old folk songs that Joanie or Bob used in sing in the past. What about Joans' recent song where she kills the guy with a broken bottle while he's raping her??
Willie

Yeah, but the songs are good and this video is bad. That's the difference. If the video was half as good as "any one of a hundred old folk songs" then we wouldn't be having this dumb confersation. There is tons of good art out there dealing with this stuff and this video ain't one of them. It's a sorry-ass video, period.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:35 GMT 

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with depicting violence, domestic violence, or abusive relationships. The inclusion of these subjects in a video doesn't mean that they're there for people to "get off" on.

But, this video is incoherent and incongruous with the song. It's not a narrative about a woman in a tumultuous or abusive relationship. It's quite clearly a narrative about a woman who has been drugged, kidnapped, tied up, and quite probably raped or assaulted (the rope on the bed, the syringe, etc.). I don't have a fundamental issue with making a video about that, but it has essentially nothing to do with the song, which is (perhaps, there's not much to go on in lyrics) a vaguely fatalistic look at love beginning to wane.

It's shoddy storytelling. What does the kiss at the end mean? Has the abused come to identify with her captor?

Whatever, it adheres to a hallmark of bad art: its unconventional and unexpected developments reveal nothing of any interest or significance. Also, it's not fun.

Solid song, though.

-Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:37 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Johnnie Ray wrote:
blind_boy_grunt wrote:
Great video. The fact that it's pissed so many people off makes me enjoy it even more.

I think a video of his vocal cords singing the song would have bee far more entertaining while still managing to piss people off.

Bill Clinton's sure going to be mad when he finds out pics of his wife's clunge have hit the net.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:46 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:

Why do I get the feeling that your wardrobe consists mainly of t-shirts with expletives written across them?

Long Johnny wrote:
locusceruleus wrote:
This would be embarrassing if it were a Nickelback video. The fact that it's associated with Dylan is just hugely depressing. What were they thinking? This is going to offend so many people. It's not remotely amusing, entertaining, challenging or anything else. Anyone who didn't see the kiss at the end coming a mile away must be a total idiot. Anyone who finds domestic violence entertaining should seek help.

Yes. The LAST thing you ever want art to do is "offend people." :roll:

I vote that in the future all Dylan videos must prominently feature Jar Jar Binks and cute puppies.

Sorry, you're right. 4 minutes of 2 random people beating the shit out of each other is the height of great art. No wonder Friday nights in Glasgow are known throughout the streets as 'art night'.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:50 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
It's the best of any Dylan videos - its real life.

Sorry to hear, if your life looks like that! :shock:

Mine doesn't, and as much as I love Bob and his new album - and that song BHLN - I am truly baffled and maybe even offended by that senseless video. WTF was he thinking? :?:

Bad move, Bob. Bad move. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:28 GMT 

And now here's another clip using Bob's new song:

http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/tv/ ... dlust.html

Pope

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:46 GMT 

Over the hill wrote:
Columbia Records Video
Jessica
212-833-8000 ext: 8107

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwb2wTywmaU

this appears to be the alpha male of the pack ripping at bobs carcass...has this member of the herd ever expressed misogyny, loathing and abuse at any women on this site?

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:10 GMT 

Street Beagle wrote:
Am I shocked? Only at the Dylan name being attached to such tripe. Then again, I shouldn't be. Bob has never cared about his music videos. He doesn't even appear in most of them.

Yes, you shouldn't be. There's no way this is notably worse than most of the awful Dylan music videos. I like it somewhat because it's a bit novel and unexpected, certainly more so than Scarlett lounging around a meadow (don't remember people up in arms about the tripeness of that one) or Dylan intercut with Tobey Maguire or Dylan walking around town in a funny hat.

PostPosted: Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:13 GMT 

TUPAC AMARU wrote:
Over the hill wrote:
Columbia Records Video
Jessica
212-833-8000 ext: 8107

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwb2wTywmaU

this appears to be the alpha male of the pack ripping at bobs carcass...has this member of the herd ever expressed misogyny, loathing and abuse at any women on this site?

now, that's just a downright stupid post. all you'd have to do is pay attention on this board a little bit and ya wouldn't have to write something this dumb. I'm not "ripping at Bob's carcass." Most everyone here knows that I'm a woman and that I'm pretty fond of his "carcass"... but, like all human beings, he's not perfect and not always right. I think this video is a horrendous mistake in judgment and sensitivity. Misogyny? Me? Not even remotely close. I respect and value people based on who they are and how they act. Not on their gender. I have male and female friends. There are women on this board I adore and admire and women I have absolutely no respect for. That's not misogyny. Not only am I a woman, but I'm a Jewish Mother. Of a DAUGHTER. So it particularly sickens me to see this video of non-stop violence toward an imprisoned woman. Who kisses her abuser at the end. But this certainly is the first time I've been called an alpha male... :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next