Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 24th, 2014, 07:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
What fvcking video you fvckers?
Three pages of utter shite but not one link to 'the' video. I've seen the beyond here lies nothing video, just three minutes of black and white stills so this is something else.
What the fvck is itttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude....................... 1st page, 7th post.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:01 GMT 

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
What fvcking video you fvckers?

Three pages of utter shite but not one link to 'the' video. I've seen the beyond here lies nothing video, just three minutes of black and white stills so this is something else.

What the fvck is itttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The link to the video is in the first page of this post... :roll:
http://www.ifc.com/dylan/?utm_medium=co ... m|20090512

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:02 GMT 

This video is udder SHIT! There isn't much Bob does that I say that about, but this is awful. The song to me is optimistic, upbeat, with a nice mix of reality, pessimism. Never once did I think of violence. No afterlife sure but a man beating up his girl...no way. What the hell is this woman thinking! I would have ran his A** over till he was dead.

I cannot believe he approved this! Very sad it has almost ruined the song for me, but I will continue to listen to it and see what I see in the song.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:03 GMT 

picassosson wrote:
Callahan wrote:
First of all, i don't think the song and the video compliment each other well, at all.

Second, I do think it's a little over the top and unnecessary. It's not that imaginative or constructive to merely demonstrate an episode of an abusive relationship. It could have been done so much better.

Indeed. It's not the subject matter that bothers me - telling the story of an abusive relationship could be interesting - although I don't understand what an abusive relationship has to do with the song. What bothers me is how crass and and poor the storytelling is. It's just poor film, unimaginatively realized ("real life" my @ss), and poorly paced to the music. Show me images, symbols, and feeling, shot with some sort of attitude - not this half-realized crap that's being lazily passed off as "true-to-life" reportage. This director should've looked a little harder at Bruce Davidson, Walker Evans, Robert Frank, or even Weegee or Brassai.

Yeah, it's a regular amateur hour, like nearly all of Dylan's film and video projects. Remember these gems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjOSqaMkac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5rHbgH ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS1ooBt ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8MePKoL ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhaLSjR- ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMK6RS4t1s

Ad this new one to the list.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Its a folk song set to a folk movie.

Judging by some comments here, you would think Dylan never sang tales of girls stabbing boys, boys strangling girls, confused and bloody love affairs. He's not Cliff f**king Richard.

It works. Its blackly comic, like the album.

Oh, and I like the ship pictures on the walls.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:10 GMT 

It's so disapointing. After the one with Harry Dean Stanton I thought they were finally taking his videos seriously...

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks for your insight, Betsy :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:11 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Its a folk song set to a folk movie.

Oh, and I like the ship pictures on the walls.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:13 GMT 

Nutopia wrote:
Apparently we have no sado-masochism fans here...

Are you serious? The video is not sado-masochism is just STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID..........
stupidity playing with something that could be serious or something that could be interesting under another very different view

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Gypsygal wrote:
It's so disapointing. After the one with Harry Dean Stanton I thought they were finally taking his videos seriously...

You gotta be kidding, right? That was one total piece of nostalgic shite, total rubbish like most of his other videos.

This one feels much more in tune with Dylan's music.

Jesus this is a guy who sings about hell being his wife's home town, about a woman giving him hives, getting him fired, making him rob, steal and kill someone and then laughs about it. You get to the beating heart and its full of blood.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
You miss the point if you take it literally. All relationships are like this.

Agreed - it's a simple exercise in hyperbole.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:21 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
alma wrote:
well, it would be just disapponting if dylan approved it, i will keep my hope he didn't.

:lol: :lol:

do you actually think dylan is a righteous guy?

I mean he's hot and all, but read what he says about broads in his songs!!!! Look how he treated his women... come on people....
WAKE UP!!!!!!

but what are you saying? :?
Oh, he ain't no angel and neither am I... but he's not STUPID
This video's been made by a poor mind that uses offensive scenes to sell a piece of music

Last edited by Isa on Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:22 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:21 GMT 

I wonder if they think it will actually sell records. I guess it will play on IFC and YouTube, but can't imagine where else it would play, certainly not mainstream TV.

My download speed is so slow it was actually coming in in bits and starts. After the first minute or so I just turned it off, didn't want to ruin the song forever.

Last edited by Absolutely Sweet Marie on Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:23 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
I wonder if they think it will actually sell records. I guess it will play on IFC and YouTube, but can't imagine where else it would play, certainly not mainstream TV.

Switch the tv on if you wanna see mainstream tv. You really want Bob to swim in that current? For once, I'm glad he has sanctioned this. Shows the man has taste.

Last edited by Bennyboy on Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:27 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:23 GMT 

This would be embarrassing if it were a Nickelback video. The fact that it's associated with Dylan is just hugely depressing. What were they thinking? This is going to offend so many people. It's not remotely amusing, entertaining, challenging or anything else. Anyone who didn't see the kiss at the end coming a mile away must be a total idiot. Anyone who finds domestic violence entertaining should seek help.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:25 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Gypsygal wrote:

You gotta be kidding, right? That was one total piece of nostalgic shite, total rubbish like most of his other videos.

Jesus this is a guy who sings about hell being his wife's home town, about a woman giving him hives, getting him fired, making him rob, steal and kill someone and then laughs about it. You get to the beating heart and its full of blood.

BennyBoy
I think you lose the point of all Dylan songs, Try harder man

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:26 GMT 

The ipod commercial ran all over mainstream TV (thank you, Steve Jobs) and sold tons of records. I can imagine this actually turning off buyers.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

RobertitoBob wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
Gypsygal wrote:

BennyBoy

And what point would that be? Me, I see a pretty sharp point in all of em.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:29 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
alma wrote:
Milkcow wrote:
well, it would be just disapponting if dylan approved it, i will keep my hope he didn't.

:lol: :lol:

do you actually think dylan is a righteous guy?

I mean he's hot and all, but read what he says about broads in his songs!!!! Look how he treated his women... come on people....
WAKE UP!!!!!!

there's a huge difference between being a selfish cheater and being someone who holds a woman hostage and is a serious batterer. it's not like Bob is an OJ, with the cops being called to his house all the time cos he's almost killing his women. I can't believe this video got approved by anyone at Columbia, Sony, IFC, Bob's team, etc. I'm shocked they think this will be good for promo purposes. It's sensationalist in a bad way. If he doesn't get lots of complaints from battered women's groups, etc, it'll be a miracle.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:31 GMT 

Better lay low bob, they didn't like that last piece of agitprop they're gettin' out the nails and the cross...it stirs up emotions, where do those feelings come from?..guarantee ya the dog that barks the loudest about this video has either been an abuser or a victim of abuse....

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:32 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Gypsygal wrote:

You do realise that My Wife's Home Town and Beyond Here Lies Nothin' are different songs, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
The ipod commercial ran all over mainstream TV (thank you, Steve Jobs) and sold tons of records. I can imagine this actually turning off buyers.

This is a million times more artistic than that crappy itunes video. That was empty and redundant.

Dylan's music is far too commercially marketed as it is. Its good to see him doing something like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:33 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Gypsygal wrote:

Bennyboy, if your surname is Edgerton, I could understand your point of view...
Anyway, you are talking about "feeling" this crap video and you say the one with Harry Dean Stanton is rubbish, I have no idea what you have on your mind, really. We are talking about a man who sings about many things, and you are just quoting the lyrics of a song. He sings more about other things like love, passion, girls... for you, does it mind that he should make videos with playmates?
Sorry, but I think this video has nothing to do with this song, not even with Mywife's home town.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:35 GMT 

RobertitoBob wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
Gypsygal wrote:

BennyBoy

totally agree! if dylan has taste and spirit as we know he has, i hope he didn't approve this poor video trying to put violence as avant-garde, my god, he uses to say he likes Truffaut and Fassbinder.

PostPosted: Tue May 12th, 2009, 21:36 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
RobertitoBob wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

BennyBoy

And what point would that be? Me, I see a pretty sharp point in all of em.

I agree, but it would be ridiculous saying this video is sharp

Sorry if i've been unrespectful, I'm a bit excited

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next