Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 18th, 2014, 23:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 10th, 2009, 20:26 GMT 

Two of Bob's contemporaries--Joni Mitchell and Randy Newman--move up in the ranks and some classic acts hit the chart. Seasons one and two favorite, George Jones, has not been played one single time this season. Did someone hide Bob's record collection? Did Jones ask what a lyric meant or call Bob the VOAG?

Most Played Seasons 1-3
Shows 1- 97 03MAY06 till 1 APRIL09:

: 10x: Tom Waits and Dinah Washington

: 9x : Elvis Costello,George Jones

: 8x : James Brown, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams Sr

: 7x : Louis Armstrong, The Beatles, Buddy Johnson, Buck Owens, Prince Buster, Porter Wagoner, Sonny Boy Williamson II and Bob Wills

: 6x : Johnny Cash, The Drifters, The Everly Brothers, Slim Gaillard, Merle Haggard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Anita O’Day, Charlie Parker, and Howlin’ Wolf

: 5x : June Christy, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Doug Sahm & Sir Douglas Quintet, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, JB Lenoir, Smiley Lewis, Little Walter, Los Lobos, Loretta Lynn, Randy Newman, Elvis Presley, The Stanley Brothers

: 4x : Mose Allison, David Alvin, Chuck Berry, The Carter Family, The Clash, Nat King Cole, Ry Cooder, Bob Dorough, Lefty Frizzell, Wynonie Harris, Wanda Jackson, The Kinks, Professor Longhair, The Louvin Brothers, Joni Mitchell, Bill Monroe, NRBQ, Charlie Parker, Charlie Poole, Louis Prima, Jimmie Rodgers, Memphis Slim, Bessie Smith, The Sons of the Pioneers, Joe Strummer, Irma Thomas, Big Joe Turner, and Fats Waller

: 3x : Hank Ballard, Count Basie, Milton Brown, Ruth Brown, Gus Cannon’s Jug Stompers, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Sam Cooke, Miles Davis, Dave Edmunds, The Enchanters, Dizzy Gillespie, The Grateful Dead, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, The Ink Spots, Elmore James, Etta James, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Leadbelly, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, Joe Liggins and the Honeydrippers, Lovin’ Spoonful, The Marvellettes, [Toots &] The Maytals, Johnny Mercer, Memphis Minnie, The Mississippi Sheiks, Ennio Morricone, Harry Nilsson, Roy Orbison, Johnny Otis, Johnny Paycheck, Hank Penny, Carl Perkins, Webb Pierce, Charlie Rich, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, The Robins, Nina Simone, Red Simpson, Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, Warren Smith, The Staple Singers, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Conway Twitty, Johnny Tyler, Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, Billy Ward and the Dominoes, Tex Williams, Peter Wolf, Bobby Womack and Stevie Wonder.

Last edited by Absolutely Sweet Marie on Sun April 5th, 2009, 18:56 GMT, edited 16 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 11th, 2009, 03:50 GMT 

George Jones has been deposed. Wow. As he just received his Kennedy Center honors I am sure he won't mind this shift in the charts. That possum sure was up there a long time. Just to spite me he will play GJ next week, just wait and see. Heh. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun January 11th, 2009, 15:32 GMT 

In honor of Mr. Waits, who I once rescued from imminent attack from a rent-a-cop, the "Small Change" album cover, with the rumored Elvira, mistress of the dark.

Thanks for the info, ASM. Was wondering whether George Jones had been deposed. Will be posting your info over at Dreamtime, if that's okay.

PostPosted: Sun January 11th, 2009, 19:38 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Will be posting your info over at Dreamtime, if that's okay.

OK by me.

PostPosted: Fri January 16th, 2009, 19:15 GMT 

Updated through episode 87.

PostPosted: Sat January 17th, 2009, 23:17 GMT 

George has to have "something"----

it's coming for me through the trees....

PostPosted: Sat January 24th, 2009, 23:43 GMT 

Updated through Episode 88, Something. The Beatles move up a rank to 7 plays and June Christy coolly closes in with 5 performances. Billy Ward and the Dominoes and Charlie Rich both join the chart at 3 plays each

PostPosted: Sun February 1st, 2009, 19:09 GMT 

Updated through episode 89, Cats. Does anyone know who "Kit Bower" is? Pierre ended the Cats show by saying it was dedicated to her, but she evades Google. (Astonishing that anyone can evade Google!) Fred, you out researched the Theme Time team on Jimmy Ballard; any thoughts on Kit?

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2009, 20:34 GMT 

Updated through episode 90, Madness.

PostPosted: Sun February 8th, 2009, 14:46 GMT 

Absolutely Sweet Marie wrote:
Updated through episode 89, Cats. Does anyone know who "Kit Bower" is? Pierre ended the Cats show by saying it was dedicated to her, but she evades Google. (Astonishing that anyone can evade Google!) Fred, you out researched the Theme Time team on Jimmy Ballard; any thoughts on Kit?

There's been a Robert Bower listed in the TTRH credits since Season 1. He's currently credited as the show's librarian and appears to be another employee of Gray Water Park Productions - he's listed as "consultant" in "No Direction Home" and as "producer" for "The Bootleg Volume 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964" among other credits. I wouldn't be surprised if "Kit" was related to him in some way. A person? A beloved pet?

PostPosted: Mon February 9th, 2009, 01:54 GMT 

Elvis Presley - only 4 ? Surprising !

ps - is the list based on only complete song plays or excerpts too ?

PostPosted: Mon February 9th, 2009, 05:31 GMT 

stewART wrote:
ps - is the list based on only complete song plays or excerpts too ?

I started with Picasso's list which I think was complete songs, but I'm not sure. The items from Season 3 that I have added have been complete songs only (i.e. those titles you put in bold on the cd art).

PostPosted: Sat February 14th, 2009, 23:35 GMT 

Updated through episode 91, Happiness.

PostPosted: Sun February 22nd, 2009, 19:26 GMT 

Updated through episode 92, Cops & Robbers

PostPosted: Sun March 1st, 2009, 19:14 GMT 

Updated through episode 93, Sugar and Candy, a real sweet one.

PostPosted: Tue March 3rd, 2009, 18:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dont know why it wasnt before, but its now stickied......
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat March 7th, 2009, 23:04 GMT 

He still hasn't played The Velvet Underground though they have been featued three times as background snippet: The Gift (Mail show), Oh Sweet Nuthin' (Nothing show) and Heroin (can't remember when). I imagine this makes the VU the most featured "incidental" artists on the show. Mind you I haven't kept any stats.

PostPosted: Mon March 9th, 2009, 23:29 GMT 

I think he just mentioned "Heroin", but didn't play any of it. But, yeah, it's all music, all the time. Couldn't possibly keep track of all the stuff he plays, but doesn't identify. Most played list updated through episode 94, :?:

PostPosted: Thu March 12th, 2009, 19:43 GMT 

This thread is always such a fascinating read, just wanted to say thanks again Absolutely Sweet Marie for your fantastic work! (I was offline for awhile here lately due to computer issues and a bad hard drive, but this thread has been one of my first visits once it all got fixed!) 8)

PostPosted: Fri March 13th, 2009, 18:32 GMT 

Hey, welcome back, Muddy. Glad my OCD scribblings are keeping you amused, but the real action is over in the General Topics where impassioned arguments are raging over the quality of the new album as yet not officially announced and certainly unheard. If you've missed the last few TTRHs be sure to catch up, they were wonderful (especially sugar and candy).

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2009, 18:56 GMT 

Updated through episode 95, and that's the truth!

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2009, 22:20 GMT 

Updated through episode 96, Family Circle.

PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2009, 19:49 GMT 

Updated through episode 97, Noah's Ark, part 1. Man gave names to all the animals.....

PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2009, 18:57 GMT 

Updated through episode 98, Noah's Ark, part 2.

PostPosted: Wed April 15th, 2009, 16:47 GMT 

As is not surprising for a show made up of songs rejected from previous playlists, many old favorites hit the turn table on this two-hour supershow. The Rolling Stones are either “finished” or they’re “the greatest rock and roll band in the world”: either way Bob has played only two artists more. They’re now up to 9 spins—that’s once every 11 shows. Van Morrison also made the leap to 9 plays this time. Bob Wills got his 8th outing, probably more airtime than he has received in 50 years. Bob does love those Sun Studios alums: both Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis achieved their 7th plays this week. Billie Holiday got her 6th play, and Wanda Jackson entered another kind of Hall of Fame with 5 Theme Time plays, as did Big Joe Turner.

Reaching the first step to Dylan sanctification with three Theme Time plays each are Clarence Ashley, Clarence ‘Gatemouth’ Brown, Betty Carter, Bing Crosby, Ike Turner (with some help from the incendiary Tina), and Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Despite publicly threatening to stand on his host’s furniture wearing his boots, Steve Earle got his very first play this week. And, approaching what seems to be the last show of Season Three, I report without comment that George Jones has not been played a single time this season.

Most Played Seasons 1-3
Shows 1- 99 03MAY06 till 9 APRIL09:

: 10x: Tom Waits and Dinah Washington

: 9x : Elvis Costello, George Jones, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones

: 8x : James Brown, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Frank Sinatra, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams Sr, and Bob Wills

: 7x : Louis Armstrong, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Buddy Johnson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buck Owens, Prince Buster, Porter Wagoner, Sonny Boy Williamson II

: 6x : The Drifters, The Everly Brothers, Slim Gaillard, Merle Haggard, Billie Holiday, Anita O’Day, Charlie Parker, and Howlin’ Wolf

: 5x : June Christy, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Doug Sahm & Sir Douglas Quintet, Duke Ellington, Wanda Jackson, JB Lenoir, Smiley Lewis, Little Walter, Los Lobos, Loretta Lynn, Randy Newman, Elvis Presley, The Stanley Brothers, Big Joe Turner

: 4x : Mose Allison, David Alvin, Chuck Berry, The Carter Family, The Clash, Nat King Cole, Ry Cooder, Bob Dorough, Lefty Frizzell, Wynonie Harris, The Kinks, Professor Longhair, The Louvin Brothers, Joni Mitchell, Bill Monroe, NRBQ, Charlie Parker, Charlie Poole, Louis Prima, Jimmie Rodgers, Memphis Slim, Bessie Smith, The Sons of the Pioneers, Joe Strummer, Irma Thomas, and Fats Waller

: 3x : Clarence Ashley, Hank Ballard, Count Basie, Clarence ‘Gatemouth’ Brown, Milton Brown, Ruth Brown, Betty Carter, Gus Cannon’s Jug Stompers, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Sam Cooke, Bing Crosby, Miles Davis, Dave Edmunds, The Enchanters, Dizzy Gillespie, The Grateful Dead, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, The Ink Spots, Elmore James, Etta James, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Leadbelly, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, Joe Liggins and the Honeydrippers, Lovin’ Spoonful, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Marvellettes, [Toots &] The Maytals, Johnny Mercer, Memphis Minnie, The Mississippi Sheiks, Ennio Morricone, Harry Nilsson, Roy Orbison, Johnny Otis, Johnny Paycheck, Hank Penny, Carl Perkins, Webb Pierce, Charlie Rich, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, The Robins, Nina Simone, Red Simpson, Huey ‘Piano’ Smith, Warren Smith, The Staple Singers, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Ike Turner, Conway Twitty, Johnny Tyler, Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson, Billy Ward and the Dominoes, Tex Williams, Peter Wolf, Bobby Womack and Stevie Wonder.