Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 30th, 2014, 07:02 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun February 15th, 2009, 08:54 GMT 

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a search for an exact phrase, and if so how it's done? The instructions for searching don't seem to mention it
Quote:
Search for keywords:
Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.
First, i question the efficacy of most of the above search parameters. Does anyone really put a "+" in front of a word that "must be found" when they're running a search? And why would you input a list of words if you weren't looking for all the words in the list? Finally, I have no idea what Use * as a wildcard for partial matches means. These instructions are nerdy at best. What i do know is that simply putting quotes around the exact phrase you're looking for works well on google, but that doesn't seem possible here. I was trying to find references to 'can't leave her behind' and it did find several exact matches but didn't prioritize them--the highest result it listed was
Quote:
Leave My Kitten Alone - Little Willie John Bob talks ... Red & Georgia Tom Bob talks about the story behind The Lion Sleeps Tonight The Lion Sleeps Tonight

This is not a logical result!

PostPosted: Sun March 1st, 2009, 21:45 GMT 

i see noone answered your question. you look for a google type search with the quote marks. doesn't seem like this forum software supports that. i just search the web for some result(s) to see what would come up since i use the same forum software (phpbb3) elsewhere:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26250
it shows that it can't be done, you could look for +Paris -France, but that's as far as it goes.

tom.paine

PostPosted: Sun December 20th, 2009, 08:12 GMT 
I know this is probably really simple but can someone tell me how to do exact phrase searching on this forum.

Eg. I want to search for the exact phrase "ntp master" not both the words individually Ive tried entering ntp master and "ntp master" in the search box but get the same results.

PostPosted: Mon December 21st, 2009, 16:43 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Click "search" at the top right and type in what you looking for under the search key words section. You should find it that way.