Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun June 24th, 2018, 13:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2018, 20:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wow!!! I recognize some of the contributors to this thread and have heard praise for Live '66 but no interest in Dylan and the Dead? Is this really a world anyone would choose to live in?

Of anything announced for 2018, THIS should have bells ringing and people dancing in the streets! This is something to celebrate.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2018, 21:02 GMT 

I always liked the version on Queen Jane on here, though he forgets some of the lyrics. But it's weird hearing any version of that song after Bob called it outdated in the AARP interview.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2018, 21:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Rimshottbob wrote:
This is pointless.

Much like Record Store Day itself, really. Vinyl is my go-to format, and Record Store Day is the one day of the year I'm guaranteed to not set foot in a record store. What's the point?

There hasn't yet been one, not ONE Record Store day release that I've wanted to queue for....

Not just pointless but incredibly disrespectful of artists - clearly a major artist like Dylan gets some kind of kudos or kickback from this kind of thing, if only in terms of sales to the gullible, but there are plenty of lesser known yet 'collectible' artists who simply get ripped off by Record Store Day.

Two years ago some close friends of mine, whose band I was in after their 'glory days', found out that a CD they had released themselves in Japan, plus a single from the late '60s, had been pressed on vinyl and were on sale in the shops to 'celebrate' this ignominious occasion. They were never consulted despite still owning the copyright, and neither were the independent labels who originally put these releases out - they were even expected to pay for copies of their own record (they approached the company responsible for releasing what amounted to an outright bootleg), and there was zero expectation or offer of any financial compensation or reward for stealing their music. Of course since then 'nothing was delivered' despite copies of these releases now selling for inflated amounts online. It is theft, pure and simple, and I suspect that the implicit support of companies like Columbia/Sony by allowing such releases by major artists underwrites any risk in stealing from lesser known acts - the very acts that should really be benefiting from this so called celebration of independence etc etc.

It's a hype, a rip off, and a fraud. Boycott Record Store Day.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2018, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

The kids these days will just think it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

PostPosted: Wed March 7th, 2018, 23:29 GMT 

blindjesse wrote:
I always liked the version on Queen Jane on here, though he forgets some of the lyrics.

More like he actually remembers some of the lyrics seems more apt for Dylan and the Dead.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 02:08 GMT 

is it possible they've remixed the album or at least turned Dylan's mic up?

dvdunplugged wrote:
In case it gets overlooked there is also another Dylan title up for grabs on RSD 2018 - a 7" vinyl release of Masters Of War. Not sure about the quantities involved.

Which version of Masters of War?
the live version with the Dead, or -- ?
if it's a single what's the B side?

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 03:15 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Wow!!! I recognize some of the contributors to this thread and have heard praise for Live '66 but no interest in Dylan and the Dead? Is this really a world anyone would choose to live in?

Of anything announced for 2018, THIS should have bells ringing and people dancing in the streets! This is something to celebrate.

Haha. Good one.

The Bard wrote:
This has got to be Columbia testing out the theory that we will really buy absolutely anything they choose to release.

That's it. They call it "Schmuck bait". If the tie dyed vinyl doesn't give it away you're most likely their target demographic.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 08:45 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:

dvdunplugged wrote:
In case it gets overlooked there is also another Dylan title up for grabs on RSD 2018 - a 7" vinyl release of Masters Of War. Not sure about the quantities involved.

I went on to the official RSD2018 site. It gives no information at all about which recording it is or what the B side of Masters Of War will be. All it says is 'Sleeve image not available'.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 14:27 GMT 

blindjesse wrote:
I always liked the version on Queen Jane on here, though he forgets some of the lyrics. But it's weird hearing any version of that song after Bob called it outdated in the AARP interview.

Bob says alot of things, i love this queen jane, i dont actually mind the album. Even the recordings from the whole tour, and rehearsals i dont mind.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 17:15 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:

dvdunplugged wrote:

Alright, proposed theory (let's see what everyone thinks):

The B side to Masters of War will be a single from an upcoming studio album...

Kind of like the 7" (RSD 2012?) single of 'Duquesne Whistle' with the B side of the alternate take of Meet Me In The Morning, advertised at the time as being off Bootleg Series Volume 14 (even though 10, 11, 12 and 13 had yet to see release... - interesting how that is lining up)!

Comments?

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 18:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
Rimshottbob wrote:
This is pointless.

Much like Record Store Day itself, really. Vinyl is my go-to format, and Record Store Day is the one day of the year I'm guaranteed to not set foot in a record store. What's the point?

There hasn't yet been one, not ONE Record Store day release that I've wanted to queue for....

Not just pointless but incredibly disrespectful of artists - clearly a major artist like Dylan gets some kind of kudos or kickback from this kind of thing, if only in terms of sales to the gullible, but there are plenty of lesser known yet 'collectible' artists who simply get ripped off by Record Store Day.

Two years ago some close friends of mine, whose band I was in after their 'glory days', found out that a CD they had released themselves in Japan, plus a single from the late '60s, had been pressed on vinyl and were on sale in the shops to 'celebrate' this ignominious occasion. They were never consulted despite still owning the copyright, and neither were the independent labels who originally put these releases out - they were even expected to pay for copies of their own record (they approached the company responsible for releasing what amounted to an outright bootleg), and there was zero expectation or offer of any financial compensation or reward for stealing their music. Of course since then 'nothing was delivered' despite copies of these releases now selling for inflated amounts online. It is theft, pure and simple, and I suspect that the implicit support of companies like Columbia/Sony by allowing such releases by major artists underwrites any risk in stealing from lesser known acts - the very acts that should really be benefiting from this so called celebration of independence etc etc.

It's a hype, a rip off, and a fraud. Boycott Record Store Day.

Agreed!

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 21:02 GMT 

if it's a single what's the B side?[/quote]

Alright, proposed theory (let's see what everyone thinks):

The B side to Masters of War will be a single from an upcoming studio album...

Kind of like the 7" (RSD 2012?) single of 'Duquesne Whistle' with the B side of the alternate take of Meet Me In The Morning, advertised at the time as being off Bootleg Series Volume 14 (even though 10, 11, 12 and 13 had yet to see release... - interesting how that is lining up)!

Comments?[/quote]

I’m thinking, given the new Masters of War remix that I started the new topic over, that will be the 7” single that will be released. The b-side May simply be the original song, but in a perfect world it would be a new tune or something off the bootleg series. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 21:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

I bin boycottin' RSD since it begun. Don't need no special day to go the RS. Many record shop owners actually dislike it, and the (sometimes) cheesy merch that's produced for RSD gets flipped on the 'bay almost immediately anyway.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 01:36 GMT 

Alright I played the album again after a few years without hearing it, and it was definitely better than I had remembered, but honestly ONLY fans of Bob Dylan would even be eligible to like this release and even we seem not to care much about it.

Played 'Down in the Groove' too and was a little more forgiving on that end as well. Side two is actually pretty decent. "Silvio" is alright but I really enjoyed the closing triad of "Ninety Miles an Hour," "Shenandoah," and "Rank Strangers to Me."