Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon May 28th, 2018, 08:07 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 12:17 GMT 

Hopefully some kind soul decides to make a companion disc to go with the official set

A Companion to the Complete Basement Tapes Album A.K.A. All The Other Basement tapes shit that Sony Didn't bother including....

Could be nice to have all the other Junk on a Disc 7 even if it is only instrumental Jams & bits of crap.

Anyone!? 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 15:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

The last track on TWR Disc1 called Blues Jam would have been worthy of inclusion on Disc 6 of the complete release but nothing else IMO and certainly not on an extra disc!

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 15:33 GMT 

Coming next: 4 CDs / 12 vinyls of Bob Dylan trying to roll a joint, puking on the floor and passing out while Garth takes an almighty shit on a kettle drum.

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 15:36 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
Coming next: 4 CDs / 12 vinyls of Bob Dylan trying to roll a joint, puking on the floor and passing out while Garth takes an almighty shit on a kettle drum.

No DVD??

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 16:08 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

No DVD??

Their just adding 3D in post before announcing it, but yeah, watch this space.

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 20:40 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:

I'd pay for that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 22:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

leavinclaud wrote:
I might play TWR from time to time in the future.
For old time's sake!
The sound as has been mentioned a number of times, is really a lot better than many believe.

We'll see what happens after the official version pops, Claudio.
Tree probably won't ever see the light of day again in most cases, it seems.

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2014, 00:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

It was a top bootleg - great name, huge treasure trove therein. And without its comprehensiveness, you wouldn't have the even greater comprehensiveness of Bootleg Series 11.

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2014, 00:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trev wrote:
It was a top bootleg - great name, huge treasure trove therein. And without its comprehensiveness, you wouldn't have the even greater comprehensiveness of Bootleg Series 11.

Absolutely true on all accounts, Trev!

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2014, 00:53 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
hollowhorn wrote:
compare your tape of Philharmonic Hall 1964 to the BS release, an absolute disgrace, 19 songs & 15 of them have their intros remove.

Looking at this again, it appears that the intros are on the CD's, they have been placed as outros to the preceding song. What a strange way to publish an archive/legacy release.

Volumes 4, 6, 7, and 10 of the Bootleg Series have intros in the "pre-gaps" of the tracks. That's actually between the last time index of one track and "index 01" of the next. It will show up on CUE sheets as "index 00" of the track that follows it. Whether the audio contained within is appended to end of the previous track, appended to the beginning of the track proper, or omitted entirely when ripped depends on how you have your ripping software set.

A Merry Llama wrote:
I think there will be a special place in my heart forever for the sound quality of a tree with roots

One significant difference between boots like A Tree With Roots and the new release is that the latter has had the stereo field narrowed—a kind of crude "mixing"/panning of the two-track source tapes—so that the channels seem less separated. Compare I'M NOT THERE from the official film soundtrack (or a boot) to the one on the new set. It also remains to be heard just how processed and noise-reduced the sound of the new set ultimately is. (Low-bitrate streams/samples such as those we have thus far had access to can be misleading on this point.)

There will be wide variation in opinions on whether such treatment is beneficial or deleterious. Personally, I hate the sound of audible digital noise reduction. But others can't stand tape hiss. I don't care much for wide stereo with the channels completely isolated from each other, and yet I know that is how these tapes were recorded and that their true sound has been tinkered with for the new set. My feelings are mixed, but I think I will need to wait and hear the actual release to form my true opinion.

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2014, 10:12 GMT 

Also, I should have added that it's been a long time since I've listened to any "basement" boots. I'm pretty sure that at one time or another I've heard A Tree With Roots, one called The Genuine Basement Tapes or something like that, and a set compiled by Les Kokay. At least one of these did have some nasty noise reduction, probably (I hope) worse than the official release will have. I don't recall which it was, but I don't think it was Tree.

In truth, I've always been partial to the official 1975 album, which is very tinkered-with itself. I used to hate the Band tracks but grew to love them over time, and the overdubbed mixdowns of the real "basement" stuff mostly complement rather than corrupt the underlying source material. Several of them feel more "finished" and fleshed-out than the raw takes, and I think of them as the canonical versions. But still, I'm looking forward to rediscovering a few gems come next week.

PostPosted: Wed October 29th, 2014, 17:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
There will be wide variation in opinions on whether such treatment is beneficial or deleterious. Personally, I hate the sound of audible digital noise reduction. But others can't stand tape hiss. I don't care much for wide stereo with the channels completely isolated from each other, and yet I know that is how these tapes were recorded and that their true sound has been tinkered with for the new set. My feelings are mixed, but I think I will need to wait and hear the actual release to form my true opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end I end up liking BS 11 vs. TWR on a track by track basis, because I like separation on the originals, or at least don't mind it, and I also hate noise reduction artifacts. But BS 11 has definite advantage in likely being sourced from the best 1st gen. sources, rather than dubs of dubs.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 18:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I found a source for ATWR (The Genuine Basement Tape Remasters) 4-CD edition - available only until the Bootleg Series 11 is released - gone for ever when that happens. So if you wanna know what's coming or you wanna be able to compare or you wanna - wotever - have a look at http://100greatestbootlegs.blogspot.co. ... t-one.html .

(If this post is out of order, Mods please delete!!)

PostPosted: Fri October 31st, 2014, 22:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

No DVD??

Yeah, but it costs a $100 extra. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 00:01 GMT 

I feel like the only real argument in favor of ATwR is based in nostalgia, because that tape quality is what you first heard when you heard the music and that's what you're used to. I understand the sentimental value of bootlegs--it's neat to feel like you have this stuff that's working in the shadows--but there's no actual logical reason to rally against the new set. The music will be in higher quality, you'll hear things in familiar songs that you could never and would never hear on ATwR, it will all be better than the crappy bootleg that you were listening to before. If everything currently existing in subpar bootleg quality could be cleaned up and released all at once, I would not look back. Poor sound quality for quality music isn't a good thing and will never be a good thing. You live with it on the bootlegs, and maybe you even grow to love your crackly downloaded copy of ATwR, but I am stoked that we're going to have a better option. It's going to be lovely and beautiful and if nothing else, give you reason to go back and listen to all of this stuff like it's the first time.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 16:45 GMT 

A Tree With Roots will always be loved and listened to by dads who's funds are finite and who have kids in college. Maybe someday when they are out and starting well paying careers they'll think to buy these official releases for their dad. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 18:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dads with kids - what a great target for joke butts. lot's of heathens in that group, them.

PostPosted: Fri February 2nd, 2018, 12:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The answer to the subject question is a resounding yes.

A Tree With Roots was a pioneer species that came in and made way for the up-and-coming Mature Forest.
A Tree With Roots is now standing-dead firewood.

It totally served its purpose and we are thankful for its existence.

I recently came across A Tree With Roots,
paused, mourned for a millisecond, and moved on.

PostPosted: Fri February 2nd, 2018, 13:12 GMT 

Can't remember where I found this, but Martijn de Koning posted this online somewhere around the time BS11 was released:

Track-By-Track compared to the A Tree With Roots Bootleg & other previously available versions
by Martijn de Koning

Disc 1

1. Edge Of The Ocean
A Dylan original that hasn’t circulated anywhere before. An electric piano ballad with a beautiful melody, but the song’s obviously not finished yet. I wish Dylan had finished this one, as it could have become a really good song. There’s some distortion on Dylan’s vocals, but the recording sounds fine otherwise.

2. My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It
A song by Clarence Williams, recorded by Hank Williams in 1949. This Basement Tapes recording hasn’t circulated before. Some heavy electric guitar halfway through, it ends after only 1:30. Since we’ll be getting lots of country covers later on in the set, this is not really something special.

3. Roll On Train
Another uncirculated Dylan original. More finished than “Edge Of The Ocean”, this one could have turned into a nice “Mystery Train” like rocker had Dylan turned it into a finished song. Sadly Dylan’s vocals are way down in the mix. I guess it’s Robbie Robertson playing the nice bluesy guitar?

4. Mr. Blue
A 1959 hit for the Fleetwoods, this Basement Tapes version is appearing here for the first time. Again the sound quality leaves something to be desired, with the mix completely wrong. Dylan doesn’t sound particularly inspired.

5. Belshazzar
A song recorded by Johnny Cash in 1957, it has appeared before on several bootlegs. The version on A Tree With Roots has serious problems at the beginning, most notably the right channel is missing for the first 10 seconds. This official version corrects this (but removes the acoustic guitar and Dylan’s announcement “…the last one?” at the beginning), it also doesn’t have the problems with the bass at the end. It’s a great version of a great song, it fits in nicely with Basement Tapes originals such as “Odds and Ends” and “Million Dollar Bash”.

6. I Forgot To Remember To Forget
A well known country song recorded by Elvis Presley in 1955, this version has appeared on bootlegs. The version on A Tree With Roots is very similar to this official one, most notably Dylan’s vocals are now in the center instead of panned over to left. According to the set’s liner notes it was a conscious decision to place vocals in the center where possible. The bootlegged version again suffers from a boomy bass, the official version sounds much clearer.

7. You Win Again
We stay in country territory with this well known Hank Williams song from 1952. This sounds much better than the previously bootlegged version from A Tree With Roots, with the acoustic guitar coming out much better. Vocals have again moved from left to center. We still miss the first line of the song, but I guess that just wasn’t captured by the recorder.

8. Still In Town
A song by Harlan Howard and Hank Cochran, also recorded by Johnny Cash. Released on bootlegs before. As with the previous couple of songs, the vocals have been moved from left to center and the problems with the bass don’t exist on the official version. Since I’ve been listening to some traditional country recently, I like really like hearing all these covers here.

9. Waltzing With Sin
Why not another one? A song written by Sonny Burns and Red Hayes, which has appeared on bootlegs before. Sadly this official version misses the false start included on the bootlegs. The complete take starts of roughly on A Tree With Roots, but the official version cleans this up nicely.

10. Big River (Take 1)
The famous Johnny Cash song, this false stat only lasts about 40 seconds. The guitar intro that fades in on bootlegs can now be heard in its full glory, but the ending cuts off rather quickly on the official version. Therefore we miss the acoustic guitar in between the 2 takes. I think the only fans who care about that already have the bootlegged version anyway, so it wasn’t a bad thing to leave it off.

11. Big River (Take 2)
A full take. I’ve never liked this version of the song very much, even hearing it in much better quality doesn’t make me change my mind. The official version was made from a much better source than the bootlegged one. There’s again some editing going on at the end, with Dylan’s remark “Do we have room for anything?” (probably referring to the tape recorder) left out.

12. Folsom Prison Blues
More Johnny Cash. The bootlegged version and this official version are very similar. The main difference being the vocals once again moved from the side to the center. One of only 2 covers, or 5 if you count Traditionals, picked for the highlights set The Basement Tapes: Raw. A bad choice. Except for “Big River” all the country covers so far would have been better picks.

13. Bells Of Rhymney
A song written by Idris Davies and Pete Seeger, also recorded by the Byrds. A beautiful version, this official version is not that different from the one on bootlegs, except for the mixing of the vocals.

14. Spanish Is The Loving Tongue
A 1915 poem set to music by Billy Simon. This has been released twice before by Dylan (as a single B-side and on the 1973 Dylan rarities collection), but this Basement Tapes version appears legally for the first time. It matches the version from the A Tree With Roots set, except that it misses the acoustic guitar at the beginning.

15. Under Control
A Dylan original appearing legally for the first time, but previously available on Basement Tapes bootlegs. It sounds pretty boring to me. Apart from the vocals that have been moved to the center there’s not much difference. It still misses the beginning and cuts off at the end.

16. Ol’ Roison The Beau
A folk traditional that has always sounded pretty rough on the version circulating on bootlegs. This official version sounds better, but still pretty distorted at times. This new version doesn’t fade in, but has a clean intro.

17. I’m Guilty Of Loving You
A fragment of another unfinished Dylan original. A blues ballad that doesn’t really go anywhere and is over within 1 minute. This official version sounds much better than the one on A Tree With Roots and has the vocals moved to the center.

18. Cool Water
A 1936 western song written by Bob Nolan. Again the compilers of the official set obviously had much better sources than what was available for the A Tree With Roots set. Very similar, except that the vocals have been moved to center again.

19. The Auld Triangle
Previously called “Banks Of The Royal Canal” on bootlegs, an Irish song from the 1950s. Not that much difference between this official version and the one on A Tree With Roots.

20. Po’ Lazarus
A traditional Dylan already performed as early as 1961. Similar to the version on A Tree With Roots, but where the bootleg cuts off this official version has a fade out.

21. I’m A Fool For You (Take 1)
Another Dylan original, this take breaks down after only 1 minute. The official version fades out just before it breaks down and then comes back just before take 2 starts. The version on A Tree With Roots runs right through and includes Dylan’s instructions in between the takes about the key of the song.

22. I’m A Fool For You (Take 2)
The second take is complete and there’s not much difference between the official and bootlegged versions. Although this version is pretty rough, the song is great. I’m glad it has found its official release here.

DISC 2

1. Johnny Todd
A traditional sea chanty that fits the mood of the Basement Tapes nicely. Vocals have been moved from left to center for the official release. It’s obviously made from a much better source than the bootlegged version on A Tree With Roots, which appears to run slightly too fast.

2. Tupelo
A John Lee Hooker song from 1959. Apart from the vocals which are now in the center there’s hardly any difference between this and the bootlegged version heard on A Tree With Roots

3. Kickin’ My Dog Around
Previously called “Quit Kicking My Dog Around” or “(They) Gotta Quit Kicking My Dog Around” on bootlegs, the song dates from the late 19th century. One of the silliest moments of the Basement Tapes, not really my cup of tea. The bootlegged version from A Tree With Roots is preceded by a bit of unrelated music, which must have been on the tape they recorded over. This is missing on the official version, apart from that both versions are mostly the same.

4. See You Later Allen Ginsberg (Take 1)
More silliness, a variation of Bobby Charles’ “See You Later Alligator”. The official version misses the first 16 seconds of the bootlegged version (so now the beginning is missing which shows that Bob was actually trying to play "Alligator" before his Band free-associated the poet's name). Strange, they must have had the source tapes? Since this song is one of the low points of the sessions I’m not complaining though.

5. See You Later Allen Ginsberg (Take 2)
The 2nd take is longer than the first one, this time both A Tree With Roots and this official version have the complete take.

6. Tiny Montgomery
The first song we come across that has been out officially before, it was included on the 1975 Basement Tapes album. This new official version matches the one that was bootlegged on A Tree With Roots, except that it has a clean intro instead of a fade in. Whatever was done to the recording in 1975, it has completely ruined the recording. It sounds like it’s being played back on a bad AM radio and fades out 20 seconds before the end of the take.

7. Big Dog
20 seconds of a Dylan original that doesn’t appear on A Tree With Roots.

8. I’m Your Teenage Prayer
Another Dylan original. A fine country tune, but this take is pretty rough. The official version comes in a tiny fraction of a second later and all vocals have been moved to the middle and thus it loses the fun call-and-response across the channels of the bootleg version.

9. Four Strong Winds
A country song by Ian Tyson, also covered by Neil Young and Johnny Cash. The “A Tree With Roots” version sounded almost like a Dylan/Manual-duet, with Richard’s voice in the left channel. But now Bob’s vocals have been moved to the center for the official release, which means Richard Manual’s voice is even more in the background.

10. The French Girl (Take 1)
Another Ian Tyson song. The first take misses Dylan’s remark “It lingers there…” and his instructions to play the song in the key of G, all of it can be heard on A Tree With Roots. Strangely, the song fades out on the bootleg and cuts off on this official version. For most part on this set it’s the other way around.

11. The French Girl (Take 2)
The official version misses a guitar chord and Dylan asking “Ready?”. Not much difference otherwise, except for the center vocals on the official set.

12. Joshua Gone Barbados
A song by Eric von Schmidt, one of my favourite covers in this set. Dylan cuts it off at the end “That’s enough, it’s a very long song”. The only difference between this official version and the one on A Tree With Roots is the placement of the vocals in the center.

13. I’m In The Mood
A John Lee Hooker song, previously called “I’m In The Mood For Love” on bootlegs. 2 boring minutes of blues. Once again, hardly any difference between the official and bootlegged version.

14. Baby Ain’t That Fine
Another country song, a hit for Melba Montgomery and Gene Pitney in 1966. The official version comes in a bit earlier (actually 0.3 seconds) than the bootlegged version.

15. Rock, Salt and Nails
A bluegrass hit for Flatt & Scruggs. The official version misses the small bit of dialogue at the start, but sounds much better. It sounds like the bootlegged version runs slightly too fast.

16. A Fool Such As I
A song made famous by Elvis Presley, which Dylan subsequently recorded for the Self Portrait album in 1969. That version eventually turned up on the 1973 rarities collection Dylan. This Basement Tapes version is better, it sounds a lot less dull here than previously on bootlegs. It also has about 2 extra seconds at the start.

17. Song For Canada
Previously called “One Single River” on bootlegs, this is another Ian Tyson song. It sounded pretty rough on A Tree With Roots, but comes out much better here. It also has a few seconds more at the start.

18. People Get Ready
The famous Curtis Mayfield song. Once again the official version sounds a lot less dull than the one on A Tree With Roots, but they’ve removed the bit with the band tuning up at the start.

19. I Don’t Hurt Anymore
Country #1 for Hank Snow in 1954. The official has the false start previously heard on bootlegs cut off. The sound however is again much better on the official release.

20. Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw
More country music. Once again the official release has the false start heard on bootlegs cut off. The quality is a lot better on the official release though. The fade on the official release is a tiny bit longer.

21. One Man’s Loss
This should be on A Tree With Roots, but my copy has “Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw” twice by mistake.

22. Lock Your Door
A 20 second fragment of a Dylan original, the official version obviously comes from a much better source than what was used for A Tree With Roots.

23. Baby, Won’t You Be My Baby
Another Dylan original, the official version sounds much better than the version found on A Tree With Roots

24. Try Me Little Girl
Yet another Dylan original, a fun piano song. There’s not much different in sound, but the official version comes in earlier and fades out a little later.

25. I Can’t Make It Alone
Not the Goffin/King song, but a Dylan original that reminds me of both “Ballad Of A Thin Man” and “Like A Rolling Stone”. The official version is much better than what’s on A Tree With Roots, but it still sounds pretty rough at times.

26. Don’t You Try Me Now
A Dylan original, a slow blues that gets boring pretty quickly. The official version fades out slightly earlier and misses the 2 final piano chords.

DISC 3

1. Young But Daily Growing
A folk traditional, at more than 5 minutes I find it pretty boring. The bootlegged and official version are virtually the same, with the exception of the ending where the bootleg has a few more chords after the song is over, those are cut from the official release.

2. Bonnie Ship The Diamond
Another traditional. The bootleg has some tuning up before the song starts, which is missing from the official release. The official release is made from a much better source though, the version on A Tree With Roots sounds pretty dull when comparing side by side. The bootleg also has some serious problems in the right channel halfway through, which the official version doesn’t have.

3. The Hills Of Mexico
Yet another traditional, the bootleg and official version are nearly the same. However, the official version lasts a little longer and has Dylan’s remark “…just wasting tape” at the end. Once again the sound is much better on the official set.

4. Down On Me
Less than 40 seconds of another traditional. Exactly the same on A Tree With Roots and this official release. But now without the drop-out that’s on the bootleg and with much improved sound.

5. One For The Road
A boring Dylan original, this official version sounds better than the one on bootlegs but still pretty rough. On the bootleg you can hear the tape speeding up at the beginning, needless to say this was cut off for the official set.

6. I’m Alright
Now it’s getting interesting. One of my favourites of the unreleased Basement Tapes songs, I’m glad the compilers of the 2 disc highlights version haven’t forgotten this one. Where the bootlegged version on A Tree With Roots fades out after only a minute, the official version runs nearly 2 minutes. The biggest pleasant surprise so far in the set.

7. Million Dollar Bash (Take 1)
One of my favourite Dylan songs and probably my favourite from these sessions. Take 1 has been only available on bootlegs so far and it’s played in a country style. The official version sounds better, mostly because the bootleg starts off pretty rough.

8. Million Dollar Bash (Take 2)
The well known version previously released on the 1975 album. Like the 1975 version, this new version has slightly more than the bootleg at the beginning. It also fixes the mic pop (or is it vinyl surface noise from an acetate?) at the end and places the vocals in the center, but the sound is very similar otherwise. Although it isn’t as bad as “Tiny Montgomery”, something on the 1975 version just doesn’t sound right.

9. Yea! Heavy And A Bottle of Bread (Take 1)
Take 1 is not that different from the better known take 2, used on the 1975 album. Not that much difference between this official version and the version on A Tree With Roots either, apart from the vocals which have again been moved to the center and the conversation & tuning at the beginning is missing.

10. Yea! Heavy And A Bottle of Bread (Take 2)
The bootlegged version misses a small bit at the beginning that can be heard on this official version and the 1975 album. This new version sounds the best of the lot and like the 1975 version has the vocals in the center. The 1975 version sounds a bit too bright for my tastes, very noticable when comparing to the boot or the new version.

11. I’m Not There
This Dylan original previously surfaced on the soundtrack album of the movie of the same name. There’s hardly any difference between the 3 versions (this set/I’m Not There soundtrack/A Tree With Roots), except that the soundtrack has the vocals mixed to the right where the other 2 have the vocals in the center. Also, this set’s version is the only one that doesn’t fade in slowly.

12. Please Mrs. Henry
Not that much difference between the 3 versions that are out there. This new official version is the best of the lot, with the bootleg sounding a bit too dull and the 1975 album sounding a bit too bright (like many other songs on that album). The 1975 also fades out somewhat earlier.

13. Crash On The Levee (Take 1)
This version has a bit of a country feel and was previously only available on bootlegs. The bootlegged version misses a small bit at the beginning, apart from that it’s very similar to this official version. It sounds like the official release was made from a slightly better source.

14. Crash On The Levee (Take 2)
The more familiar version from the 1975 album. Once again this new version is the best of the lot, with the bootleg obviously using an inferior source and the 1975 version having that same nasty brightness.

15. Lo And Behold! (Take 1)
Hardly any difference between this official version and the one previously appearing on bootlegs, although the official version probably uses a lower generation source.

16. Lo And Behold! (Take 2)
The take that appeared on the 1975 album. Once again the new version beats everything else, with a better bass than the bootleg and none of that nasty brightness of the 1975 release.

17. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (Take 1)
Another one of my favourites, an early version with completely different lyrics. The official version comes from a much better source than the one used for A Tree With Roots.

18. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (Take 2)
The more familiar version found on the 1975 album. Once again this new version has the edge with a much better mix than the bootlegged version and the brightness remains annoying on the 1975 album.

19. I Shall Be Released (Take 1)
A Dylan classic and probably the best known song from the sessions, strangely it was left off the original 1975 album. This early take has not circulated on bootlegs before. Unlike other versions it starts with the chorus. The lyrics are a bit different from the final version.

20. I Shall Be Released (Take 2)
The version that previously appeared on bootlegs and on the official Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3. This new version sounds more natural than the BS 1-3 version. The version on A Tree With Roots sounds bad, obviously made from poor sources.

21. This Wheel’s On Fire
The same take that has appeared on bootlegs and on the official 1975 album. This is the best mix by far, it completely blows away the 2 other versions. For the first time I can clearly hear all the instruments.

22. Too Much Of Nothing (Take 1)
The version appearing on the 1975 album. The version on A Tree With Roots has an extra guitar chord and Dylan saying “Alright” before the take starts, this is missing on the official versions. The bootleg and the new version are pretty close, the 1975 album is a little too bright as usual.

23. Too Much Of Nothing (Take 2)
An alternate take previously available on bootlegs. This official version sounds much clearer and better mixed than the one on A Tree With Roots. It also cuts in, instead of the fade in on the bootleg.

DISC 4

1. Tears Of Rage (Take 1)
This has appeared on bootlegs before, but the mix on the official release is so different that it nearly sounds like another take. There’s no hard panning going on on the official release.

2. Tears Of Rage (Take 2)
Another take that has appeared on bootlegs before. The vocals have been moved to the center once again and the acoustic guitar at the beginning which was barely audible on A Tree With Roots comes out much better here. The ending is slightly longer on the official release.

3. Tears Of Rage (Take 3)
The third and final take, this is the one that was on the 1975 album. This new official version has no hard panning like on the bootleg and it sounds much better than the 1975 that’s full of brightness and unnecessary echo.

4. Quinn The Eskimo (Take 1)
Once again a completely different mix than the one previously available on bootlegs, a lot more in the center and more obvious acoustic guitar.

5. Quinn The Eskimo (Take 2)
A longer take. Strangely left off the 1975 album, but included on the Biograph set as well as bootlegs. This new official version is the best of the lot. The balance in the mix is better than on the boot, while the Biograph version obviously comes from an inferior source which runs much slower than the other 2 versions. It’s obvious the faster speed is correct.

6. Open The Door Homer (Take 1)
The take that was previously on the 1975 album and on bootlegs. The bootlegged version on A Tree With Roots runs way too fast, while the 1975 version sounds way too bright like most of the album. Therefore once again this new version is clearly the best.

7. Open The Door Homer (Take 2)
An alternate take which brakes down within less than a minute. The version previously on bootlegs is obviously too fast.

8. Open The Door Homer (Take 3)
A third take, similar in style to the second one, but this one’s complete. Once again the bootlegged version runs too fast, but it has a few guitar notes after the take ends which are missing on the official release.

9. Nothing Was Delivered (Take 1)
The take that was also on the 1975 album. The official version has a better mix, while the bootlegged version on A Tree With Roots once again runs obviously too fast.

10. Nothing Was Delivered (Take 2)
An alternate take. The bootlegged version again runs a lot faster than the official release. It has a few seconds of tuning up before the song starts, but with a sudden jump in noise level there’s obviously an edit between that and the song itself. So either the bit belongs to the previous take (a bad track index), or it’s completely unrelated. It’s no surprise that it’s not on the official version.

11. Nothing Was Delivered (Take 3)
A third incomplete take where the song is played in a faster tempo in a bit of a country style. It’s less than half a minute long. Again, the bootleg runs too fast, but not as obviously as on the previous takes.

12. All American Boy
Originally a hit for Bobby Bare, I’ve always found Dylan’s version quite annoying. The official version and the one on A Tree With Roots are nearly the same. No speed problems on the bootleg this time round.

13. Sign On The Cross
A Dylan original making it’s official debut here. Once again the bootlegged version and the official version are nearly the same.

14. Odds And Ends (Take 1)
The take that opened the 1975 album. This version has a much better mix than the original 1975 album, but sadly misses the count-in heard on bootlegs. The 1975 album has a completely different ending.

15. Odds And Ends (Take 2)
An alternate take. Like take 1, the official version has the count-in edited out. It sounds somewhat better and cleaner than the bootleg though.

16. Get Your Rocks Off
A Dylan original later covered by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band. The official version sounds slightly better than what’s been available on bootlegs, but sadly deletes the final few piano notes.

17. Clothes Line Saga
Where the bootleg features a false start, sadly this is missing from both this new official version and the 1975 album. In terms of sound once again this new version is the best of the lot.

18.Apple Suckling Tree (Take 1)
An alternate take, not the one that was on the 1975 album. This version reminds me of “Down Along the Cove”. The new official version doesn’t have the boomy bass that’s annoying on the bootlegged version and has a clean intro instead of a fade in.

19. Apple Suckling Tree (Take 2)
The version that was on the 1975 album. Not much difference between that version, this new version and the one on A Tree With Roots. Once again this new official version sounds the best.

20. Don’t Ya Tell Henry
Previously circulating recorded by The Band, this take with Dylan on vocals makes its official debut here. In terms of sound quality this version blows away what I’ve heard before, the one previously circulating on bootlegs was obviously made from inferior sources.

21. Bourbon Street
Another Dylan original that makes it’s official debut here. Where the bootleg fades out after a little more than 2 minutes, this full version runs for 5 minutes. The sound is also much better than what was on A Tree With Roots.

Disc 5

1. Blowin’ In The Wind
The classic song from 1963’s The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan. A recording that hasn’t circulated before, played in a slow bluesy style.

2. One Too Many Mornings
Another Dylan classic from his folk days, this recording hasn’t circulated before. A beautiful version that may have inspired Robbie Robertson when he wrote “The Weight”. Richard Manuel sings the first verse. Sadly the sound quality is a bit rough.

3. A Satisfied Mind
A country song written by Joe Hayes and Jack Rhodes, also recorded by Gram Parsons with the International Submarine Band. Dylan’s recording has been unavailable until now. Again the sound quality disappoints.

4. It Ain’t Me, Babe
Dylan revisits another song from his folk days in a Basement Tapes style (unavaible until now). I really like it, this would have made a better inclusion on the Raw set than the rather long “Blowin’ In The Wind”.

5. Ain’t No More Cane (Take 1)
A traditional, featured in a version by the Band on the official 1975 release. This version with Dylan singing the lead is new and I like it a lot better.

6. Ain’t No More Cane (Take 2)
Another take which in my opinion is inferior, even though the sound quality is better. It’s the take that appears on the Raw set, but I would have picked take 1 myself.

7. My Woman She’s A-Leavin’
A Dylan original that hasn’t appeared anywhere before. The song sounds a bit unfinished and once again the sound quality disappoints, but it’s a great song and one of the highlights of this disc so far.

8. Santa Fe
Back in familiar territory, this song previously appeared on bootlegs and the 1991 release The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 1961-1991. There isn’t much difference between this version and the one on bootlegs, but the 1991 version obviously has reverb added which sounds annoying once you’re familiar with the original dry version.

9. Mary Lou, I Love You Too
Another Dylan original surfacing here for the first time. The song and sound quality are not very good though.

10. Dress It Up, Better Have It All
Yet another Dylan original, a simple swinging blues. Previously uncirculating. Picked for the Raw set, but there’s many Dylan originals here that would have made a better pick

11. Minstrel Boy
A song that hasn’t been bootlegged, but it surfaced last year as the only Basement Tapes track on the Another Self Portrait collection. This is a remix and it misses the cough at the end of the version from Another Self Portrait.

12. Silent Weekend
A Dylan original new to people who don’t listen to bootlegs. The sound quality is still flawed, but this official version sounds better than what was on bootlegs before. Sadly it misses the first few guitar chords, heard on A Tree With Roots. As one of the best previously unreleased Dylan originals from the sessions, I’m glad it made it to the Raw set, so fans don’t have to buy the full 6 disc set to enjoy it.

13. What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up
Another Dylan original that hasn’t appeared anywhere before. A slow blues with an unfinished lyrics, it’s something that most Dylan fans could live without.

14. 900 Miles From My Home
A traditional that hasn’t appeared on bootlegs or official releases before. It fits in nicely with the rest of the Basement Tapes, it’s nice to have it on the Raw set.

15. Wildwood Flower
An A.P. Carter song, previously available on bootlegs. The mix on the official release is much better. They’ve cut off the first harmonica note at the start, previously heard on bootlegs.

16. One Kind Favor
A traditional previously called “See That My Grave Is Kept Clean” on bootlegs, the bootlegged version runs slightly too fast. Not that much difference otherwise.

17. She’ll Be Coming Round The Mountain
Previously available on A Tree With Roots as “Coming Round The Mountain”. A nice bluegrass tune that sounds a lot better on the official set with a much clearer mix. It also has a clean intro instead of the fade-in on the bootleg.

18. It’s The Flight Of The Bumblebee
A Dylan original previously available on bootlegs. The mix is entirely different. The electric guitar which is very prominent on the bootleg is hardly audible on the official release. The official release also misses a few seconds of tuning up that’s on the bootleg.

19. Wild Wolf
A Dylan original that hasn’t appeared anywhere before. A beautiful ballad, but this take sounds a bit unfinished.

20. Goin’ to Acapulco
First released on the 1975 album and available on bootlegs. It sounds like the previous official and bootleg versions are slightly too fast. This official version is the only one that doesn’t fade out at the end.

21. Gonna Get You Now
A 90 second fragment of a Dylan original, previously available on bootlegs. A Tree With Roots has a much wider stereo mix, one of the rare songs that sounds better on the bootleg in my opinion. The official version fades out at the end, where the bootleg runs a little longer.

22. If I Were A Carpenter
The famous Tim Hardin song, previously uncirculating. I can’t say I like this version very much, Dylan sounds a bit uninterested and The Band aren’t really trying that hard.

23. Confidential
A song written by Dorinda Morgan, previously called “Confidential To Me” on bootlegs. The official version has a much clearer mix and it sounds like the bootleg is running too fast again, but not nearly as much as on some of the previous songs.

24. All You Have To Do Is Dream (Take 1)
Another original previously available on bootlegs. The official set removes the bit with the band tuning up at the start, but it has a much better and clearer mix.

25. All You Have To Do Is Dream (Take 2)
Another take, this is the better one. I’m glad they picked the right one for the raw set. This time round there’s not as much difference in quality between the bootleg and the official set. Sadly on the official release they have removed the coda featuring Garth Hudson, Rick Danko and Robbie Robertson as a trio. It would have been a nice ending to the disc.

Disc 6

1. 2 Dollars And 99 Cents
Previously uncirculating Dylan original. A fun little blues. Some distortion going on, but I was expecting much worse from recordings with, in the words of the liner notes, “very poor sonic quality”.

2. Jelly Bean
Another previously unknown original, lyrics aren’t entirely finished yet and the sound is very distorted.

3. Any Time
A rough sketch featuring very prominent electric piano. Sound is again very distorted.

4. Down By The Station
Another rough sketch featuring lots of electric piano. I wish he had finished this song, as the melody sounds promising. Again lots of distortion, especially on the vocals.

5. Hallelujah, I’ve Just Been Moved
A traditional that starts off rough with Dylan laughing in the middle of lines but ends nicely. Again the sound is bad.

6. That’s The Breaks
Another Dylan original, an electric piano ballad that’s very badly recorded. Too bad he’s hardly used the electric piano on the sessions that were much better recorded.

7. Pretty Mary
The worst sounding recording so far (I believe also the first song to appear in mono, but I could be wrong here). A country waltz that’s nothing special.

8. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
The famous A.P. Carter song. Obviously from the same source as the previous song. Again in mono and the sound is just as bad.

9. King of France
The first song on this disc that has appeared on bootlegs before. A Tree With Roots comes in later and fades out earlier, but there’s not much difference in sound quality. Both are very bad and very distorted. The official release is pure mono, while the bootleg has the sound balance slightly shifted to the right.
10. She’s On My Mind Again
Dylan goes country again on this previously uncirculated original. It could have become a great song with much better sound quality and a more focussed take, sadly this appears to be all there is.

11. Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad
A traditional, also recorded by Delaney & Bonnie and the Grateful Dead. The sound is so bad that the song can hardly be recognized. What’s on the bootleg isn’t a lot different, the most obvious differences are the couple of notes at the beginning an end that are missing from the boot.

12. On A Rainy Afternoon
A fun original with Dylan having a good time. The sound isn’t good, but what was previously on bootlegs is even worse.

13. I Can’t Come In With A Broken Heart
Another original, one of the sessions’ heavier songs. Something goes wrong with the recording during a false start, where the sounds becomes terribly distorted. The version on bootlegs runs right through, but the official release has a drop out. It sounds like something in the source that was used, rather than a mastering mistake. The rest of the song isn’t a lot better soundwise, moving it to a bonus disc was a smart move.

14. Next Time On The Highway
A Dylan original that reminds me of “Tell Me Momma”. The bootleg fades in at the start, but this official version has a clean start. The sound is better than most things on this disc.

15. Northern Claim
An uncirculated Dylan original that’s basically a kind of jam with electric piano and guitar and some lyrics. Sound is not very good.

16. Love Is Only Mine
Another uncirculated Dylan original, an electric piano ballad with a beautiful melody. I wish he’d finished this song.

17. Silhouettes
Previously called “Silhouette” on boots as a 20 second fragment. This official version runs for 2 minutes.

18. Bring It On Home
A boring 1 chord jam that hardly has any lyrics. The official version runs a little longer than the one previously available on boots.

19. Come All Ye Fair And Tender Ladies
A traditional. The beginning is pretty flawed on the bootleg, but later on the boot and official version sound more or less similar - but the official is 1:30min longer.

20. The Spanish Song (Take 1)
A very weird Dylan original. The bootleg starts with the ending of an unrelated song, this was cut off on the official release. Apart from that, both versions are very similar. Nothing wrong with the sound, I guess it was moved to the bonus disc because the song really isn’t any good.

21. The Spanish Song (Take 2)
Another take that’s just as annoying. The bootleg has a few extra bass notes at the end.

22. Hidden Track: 900 Miles From My Home (alternate take)/Confidential
Two more songs. “900 Miles From My Home” is the take previously available on bootlegs, now without the fade out at the end. “Confidential” ends the set nicely with a beautiful ballad.

PostPosted: Sat February 3rd, 2018, 13:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^^ Thanks for posting that Joe Pass! ^^^
Real nice.

PostPosted: Sat February 3rd, 2018, 17:38 GMT 

As I am unlikely to get the 6CD Complete Bootleg Series 11 (I only got the 2CD version!) A Tree With Roots is still very much a valid part of my Dylan collection!

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 15:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
As I am unlikely to get the 6CD Complete Bootleg Series 11 (I only got the 2CD version!) A Tree With Roots is still very much a valid part of my Dylan collection!

Understood.
Keep your eyes peeled to the used bins...you never know.
I will too.

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 16:41 GMT 

What's funny is that I was able to pick ATWR in the used bins after BS11 was released. I used to only have cd-r version of it but someone unloaded their boot of ATWR (nice packaging, gold discs). I paid less than $10 for it, while redundant and incomplete, it is an important part of the basement tapes lore.

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 16:57 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
What's funny is that I was able to pick ATWR in the used bins after BS11 was released. I used to only have cd-r version of it but someone unloaded their boot of ATWR (nice packaging, gold discs). I paid less than $10 for it, while redundant and incomplete, it is an important part of the basement tapes lore.
in what major urban centre did these transactions take place?

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 21:43 GMT 

Amoeba Records, Hollywood Ca. I picked up GBS Vol 1 for $10 too at the same time. Some bloke sold his boots and I picked up a bunch of Wild Wolf stuff all around $10 a piece.